• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War III: Sony's first jab at Microsoft: "Jump Out", "Yoga Isn't Gaming"

What games did you played with Kinect voice recognition?

Does Forza count?

I've said seen for a reason. Is this gonna be another one of those "you don't have a 360 so you can't possibly be informed on the issue at hand" posts?

The technology is what allows it to work as good as it does....
Which has nothing to do with what they're used for within the game...

End War tech could be used for the same ends as Skyrim, as in, complement instead of being the main focus...

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion though isn't it? How they're implemented is up to the developers, not the technology.

The fact that voice commands weren't as widely implemented before Kinect indicates that while it is about how they are implemented by developers, the technology has to be there to make it as easy as possible to implement those voice commands.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Does Forza count?

I've said seen for a reason. Is this gonna be another one of those "you don't have a 360 so you can't possibly be informed on the issue at hand" posts?

Which has nothing to do with what they're used for within the game...

End War tech could be used for the same ends as Skyrim, as in, complement instead of being the main focus...

Bottom-line Ubisoft isn't giving their voice control technology to Bethesda and Kinect is open for anyone to use on the platform that wants to use it.

Also if Ubisoft's voice control technology is so good why is the new Splinter Cell using Kinect?

Bottom-line Ubisoft isn't giving their voice control technology to Bethesda and Kinect is open for anyone to use on the platform that wants to use it.

Also if Ubisoft's voice control technology is so good why is the new Splinter Cell using Kinect?

Probably because they stopped caring and as Miles Quaritch said, they're SDK is probably much more complete at this point, which doesn't mean you actually require the Kinect hardware to have good voice recognition. That's what the discussion was about.

Boss Man

The fact that voice commands weren't as widely implemented before Kinect indicates that while it is about how they are implemented by developers, the technology has to be there to make it as easy as possible to implement those voice commands.
I really, really doubt that it's the technology in Kinect that is bringing about VC. At most, there are some tools that make it really simple and there has been some persuasion going on to find a way to tie Kinect into different games. Voice control has been around for a really long time, and the only thing I've seen from Kinect is the exact same static commands that you'd get from something like SOCOM on PS2. Anyone with a laptop that's less than 10 years old has a stock microphone that can be used to do a Google search with VC that's at least as impressive.

I really, really doubt that it's the technology in Kinect that is bringing about VC. At most, there are some tools that make it really simple and there has been some persuasion going on to find a way to tie Kinect into different games. Voice control has been around for a really long time, and the only thing I've seen from Kinect is the exact same static commands that you'd get from something like SOCOM on PS2. Anyone with a laptop that's less than 10 years old has a stock microphone that can be used to do a Google search with VC that's at least as impressive.

Anyone with a cellphone for that matter.

shinnn

Does Forza count?

Its just my impression that everybody here on gaf that says Kinect voice recognition is the same as using a normal mic are the same people who dislike Kinect and not even had used the voice commands.

Kinect voice recognition is excellent. Of course that devs use it because MS put a lot of incentives to, but also because it works seamless compared to previous attempts.

I really doubt that EndWar would work with the Skyrim vocabulary. It was not flawless even with "standard" words.

Tyrax

So what happens if the Playstation Event is about the Vita and not at all about the PS4?

It means that the Vita is finally getting the attention from Sony that it deserved in the first place. The only mention of the Vita I expect at the meeting is another rear view mirror type gimmick. Remote play never took off, and I expect using the Vita as a controller for the PS4 is limited by a lack of second triggers and the Vita is missing this new stuff they are adding to the DS4.

Please Sony, the Vita is dead unless you give it some attention at your next big Playstation brand push!

DEADEVIL

"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
- Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, on comparing PSP to DS in an interview with MCV

"It’s probably too cheap…"
– Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the $499 to $599 price point

"(the PS3) is not a game machine…"
- Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the machine’s beefy hardware architecture

"The name of the game is not market share, it’s how fast we (Sony) can grow the industry."
– Ken Kutaragi, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"…for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
– Ken Kutaragi, explaining their marketing goals for the PS3

"We do not care."
– Kaz Hirai, current President of Computer Entertainment, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto... I don't think it (losing Grand Theft Auto would) hurts us. No, I really don't."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."
- David Reeves, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO

"Microsoft does not concern us. Microsoft is not a technology company."
- Nobuyuki Idei, Sony chief corporate adviser in an interview with BBC NEWS

"A bit pricey."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, speaking about Nintendo Wii in an interview with the age.com.au

"We have a lot of respect for Nintendo, but with a December launch, how much stock are they going to get at a AU$400 price point? What is the consumer offering? So I don't think anyone will do more units than a PS2 this (Christmas)."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, regarding the launch of Nintendo Wii

"Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy a PS3 this year, but I'm sure it beats lining up in a queue for hours on end only to be told the store has sold out."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Australia in an interview with the age.com.au

"There’s this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true... Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent."
- Phil Harrison, regarding the wholesale cost of the system’s Blu-ray player

"Nobody will ever use 100% of PS3's capability"
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios speaking with MTV news.

"The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, in an interview with GameSpot

"I have no concerns about the competition."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios speaking at the Game Developer Conference

"I don’t think we’re arrogant."
– Phil Harrison, regarding consumer perception of Sony

"We're certainly not interested in Gimmicks."
- Kaz Hirai0 E32k6, right before showing off Eye of Judgement.

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokemon."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios

"But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick."
- Sony executive Phil Harrison cuts to the chase with his incisive analysis of the Nintendo DS in gaming paper MCV.

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."
- Sony's take on the consumers, as told by UK Managing Director Ray

---------------------------------------

Welcome back, Sony.

This is pure gold. MS Unleash the PHIL. Do it

Its just my impression that everybody here on gaf that says Kinect voice recognition is the same as using a normal mic are the same people who dislike Kinect and not even had used the voice commands.

Kinect voice recognition is excellent. Of course that devs use it because MS put a lot of incentives to, but also because it works seamless compared to previous attempts.

I really doubt that EndWar would work with the Skyrim vocabulary. It was not flawless even with "standard" words.

The fact that End War recognized full 5-6 word phrases as opposed to 2 or 3 words was what impressed me at the time. This was 4+ years ago mind you.

And it's true that the words weren't as complex and neither was it flawless, but lets not pretend Skyrim's is either.

FordGTGuy

Banned

VC is very far from perfect but it's more of a reality now than ever mostly because of recent drives with cell phones(ie Siri) and media control in vehicles (Microsoft Sync).

Voice control might've been around for a while but only recently has it really become usable.

Probably because they stopped caring and as Miles Quaritch said, they're SDK is probably much more complete at this point, which doesn't mean you actually require the Kinect hardware to have good voice recognition. That's what the discussion was about.

When did I claim it was required? Of course it's not there are plenty of other ways to do it but Kinect just makes it easier for devs to implement it, they don't have to waste disk space or time developing the software needed to do it.

When did I claim it was required? Of course it's not there are plenty of other ways to do it but Kinect just makes it easier for devs to implement it, they don't have to waste disk space or time developing the software needed to do it.

When was I talking to you? You jumped on me, not the other way around.

Nope, I have long and flexible fingers and relatively big hands in general. But putting the walking on anything but the stick was a horrible decision. Cage probably thought he had some grand artistic vision behind it like he seems to with everything he does, but much like how he handled HR's script, that doesn't mean it's not a horrible idea
It's the best decision they could make with their cinematic camera system. Walking only with the stick is absolutely horrible when the camera is not always 3rd person. Because when the camera angle changes your walking gets fucked up 90% of the time. With the walking on R2 you can move forward all the time even when the camera angle changes.

The actual question is rather if cinematic cameras have any real pros over traditional 3rd person cameras. Most of the time I don't think so and they seem to think this as well since Beyond uses a 3rd person camera and traditional stick only walking again. It is for the better probably.

EvB

57236-forside.jpg

Pom Pom Party 2 confirmed!

FZFLeXx.jpg

Ha! I actually kind of like seeing this. Sure they released dumb motion stuff too but maybe they've actually learned from those mistakes and will re-dominate the next gen by focusing on what matters for gamers, PS2 style. Should be exciting.

So what happens if the Playstation Event is about the Vita and not at all about the PS4?

Remember the reaction on GAF last E3 when Nintendo GAF was crowing that Nintendo was about to save E3 and drop some major bombs? And quite the opposite happened? This would be a million times worse. We know it's about PS4, though.

FZFLeXx.jpg

Ha! I actually kind of like seeing this. Sure they released dumb motion stuff too but maybe they've actually learned from those mistakes and will re-dominate the next gen by focusing on what matters for gamers, PS2 style. Should be exciting.

That would be stupid. They have to appeal to casuals as well. Just like they did on PS2. Eye Toy was from the PS2 years in case you forgot. Gaming is a big tent, you need to invite everyone into it if you hope to succeed.

Remember the reaction on GAF last E3 when Nintendo GAF was crowing that Nintendo was about to save E3 and drop some major bombs? And quite the opposite happened?
I never understood all the Nintendo hype for E3. It's never funny and never delivers.

That would be stupid. They have to appeal to casuals as well. Just like they did on PS2. Eye Toy was from the PS2 years in case you forgot.

They've given a negative message about casual gaming on PS, as something derogatory, not wanted. . . and it looks like Nintendo isn't going to get the casuals this time. So I guess MS will happily take them, which is good for them because they've lost the core gamer so need all the help they can get right GAF? "harmless fun ad" and "casual gaming still welcome" spin incoming. . . :)

All this type of PR does is stoke the fan boy flames.

It's worthless in bringing the console to attention of those people that aren't basement dwelling, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing morons.

Lowest common denominator advertising campaigns are go!

Ugh, no thanks.

I really expected better of Sony this time.

Kron

Banned
I genuinely think some of you guys are delusional, The Playstation 3 has been an appauling system all things considered. The consistantly slow download/update file system, The large barren period post release, The poor exclusives (someone really listed five games then did the generic 'lots more' disclaimer when there really isn't) Its been such a poor relation compared to the sheer raft of genuinely interesting titles the PS2 managed to have over a much shorter period.

To date the PS3 has been the only games console I've sold while it was still active on the market. I've seen nothing from the Vita/PS3 that leads me to believe Sony have learnt from there mistakes and if anything its looks like they've forgotten what a games console actually needs.

The Casual/Experienced gamer nonsence which is being cited is really glossing over Sony's complete lack of direction.

Fuck the gifs. Sony are going backwards.

jwhit28

Sony sure aren't trying to win over customers by being likable. They are like the car companies that have to bring up the Camry and Corolla in their commercials.

cRIPticon

I genuinely think some of you guys are delusional, The Playstation 3 has been an appauling system all things considered. The consistantly slow download/update file system, The large barren period post release, The poor exclusives (someone really listed five games then did the generic 'lots more' disclaimer when there really isn't) Its been such a poor relation compared to the sheer raft of genuinely interesting titles the PS2 managed to have over a much shorter period.

To date the PS3 has been the only games console I've sold while it was still active on the market. I've seen nothing from the Vita/PS3 that leads me to believe Sony have learnt from there mistakes and if anything its looks like they've forgotten what a games console actually needs.

The Casual/Experienced gamer nonsence which is being cited is really glossing over Sony's complete lack of direction.

Fuck the gifs. Sony are going backwards.

100% disagree. PS3 has been my go to system this generation.

Top Bottom