• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Enordash

Of course Arizona Sunshine would go on sale a few days after I buy it. Oh well, it was one of the better games I've played so far. I'd recommend it especially for coop. The other players are far creepier than any zombie in the game, lol. Although a front-facing sensor setup is doable, I'd definitely suggest having 360 tracking for the best experience.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I hope the daily sales do rotate but I have to admit, I prefer the new Steam method. I just don't have the time to check every day.

Edit: Just my notification that my Touch controllers are shipping. They should be here Friday! Woo!

Got my Touch from Best Buy today.

Not sure what I should play first. Anyone has tried them all and can recommend the best titles?

My favorite so far:

Space Pirate Trainer - Wave shooter where you shoot flying droids as they shoot shit at you, time slows down when bullets are close for you to block/dodge, you have an arsenal of weapons at the flip of your thumbstick and timed abilities that have a chance of falling from a destroyed foe. This game is addictive and just active enough to get your arms, legs and fingers tired after a few games.

Ripcoil - Tron-style disc throwing, lean left and right to slide to catch incoming disks (if the discs get past you it's like a goal for opponent). It's fairly simple, but there is a deeper level of knowing angles of outgoing and incoming discs along with slide/catch/punch timings. Love this game, I hope they expand on it, I would love to see spin feel more like the ping pong ball in a table tennis game. The catching and punching mechanics can also be weird (especially at first); you have to know the limits that the game structure allows (It may feel like you're punching through a disc but you weren't in front of it so it doesn't register). Anyway I went to far...fun game for the few asking bucks.

Super Hot - Makes you feel like a dude in a simulation that can change the flow of time, dodge bullets, and shatter faceless enemies. Not much more to say there, it's just an awesome game that's well worth a few playthroughs.

Most of the free things that came with the touch plus already existing Steam games are great too (The Lab, play the Lab). These are just some highlights of mine.

Kevin

So I have had a Rift since like August and still don't really have any core games to play on it. Mostly have only played free content.

For someone without Touch (for now), what are some of the best games on the Oculus Rift worth checking out? Looking for something that really shows off the immersive capabilities of the Rift. Anything from this sale worth while?

I just received my touch but i dont have 3 usb 3.0 ports the set up seems to not want to continue without it what can i do ? i thought you could try without three 3.0 ports

You don't need a 3.0 port for the headset itself.

Oh ok i'll try this. Weird even when i put the sensor in 3.0 usb port it tells me that is not good. The weird part is that was "green ok "for the sensor when i had only just one sensor and the headset in the 3.0 ports.

Edit : hum i plugged them in other ports and it seems good. Really weird.

So before i buy SuperHot i only have a playspace of 1 Meter by 1.5 meter, some of you that play that game did you have the recommanded space or smaller playspace ?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I have had a Rift since like August and still don't really have any core games to play on it. Mostly have only played free content.

For someone without Touch (for now), what are some of the best games on the Oculus Rift worth checking out? Looking for something that really shows off the immersive capabilities of the Rift. Anything from this sale worth while?

Chronos (3rd person but some very cool VR moments and a great 10-14 hr single player campaign)
Edge of Nowhere (also 3rd person but still great in VR and some amazing sense of scale)
The Climb
Elite Dangerous
Obduction
Damaged Core

You should get Touch though.

So before i buy SuperHot i only have a playspace of 1 Meter by 1.5 meter, some of you that play that game did you have the recommanded space or smaller playspace ?

My space is about the same and it's fine for SuperHot. You don't have to move much, mostly standing in one spot is fine, but you need room to extend your arms and occasionally duck.

Ok, so daily deals WILL go lower than the normal sale, so only buy stuff thats a daily, and wait till the end for the rest.

Ive never heard of Dead Secret, anyone played it?

Wallach

Be sure to jump on Edge of Nowhere. The mechanics are shallow but the atmosphere is unreal.

Yeah, definitely enjoyed EoN. Stood out to me as a game that actually had a strong ending, which I find rare in most single player games.

I wish I could take a screenshot inside Thumper because this may mark the one and only time I'm ever topping a leaderboard, lol.

It's really incredible in VR though. I really loved it on a normal screen, but this is a whole new experience. I finally understand why people said the bosses look menacing. It's such an engrossing and oppressive experience. It was enough to get me to double dip and just buy it again on Home.

Can you not just hit Prinstcreen on your computer?

HyGogg

Banned
So there are a bunch of great non-Touch games, but if immersive is your criteria, I have to recommend Obduction. The atmosphere, level of detail, open exploration, and relaxed pace really let you "live" in its world. I got more presence from this than anything else without Touch.

awcarew

Not sure if they are on sale but my favorite VR titles are DOOM 3: BFG Edition and Penumbra: Overture. Both can now be patched with Oculus Touch + Roomscale support.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Smashbox Arena just added a free multiplayer demo. No reason not to check it out now. Touch owners should own this game
It's amazing and the community is great, just as friendly as in Rec Room.

I guess cartoon graphics attract the nicer people?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

It's the $600 barrier of entry that's keeping most of the assholes away. Cartoon graphics isn't saving any regular games from toxicity.

Vanmunt

Banned
It's the $600 barrier of entry that's keeping most of the assholes away. Cartoon graphics isn't saving any regular games from toxicity.

The community at the moment is very much like the early days of xbox when you didn't mind playing with randoms and having people on your friends list you don't actually know. Long may it continue as I only friend and play with people I know on PSN.

chris121580

I couldn't agree more about the community. I've played with the devs a few times too and they are as nice as can be and are really humbled by the reception of the game. This game produces nothing but people laughing the entire time and just enjoying themselves

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Steam sale is up now. Anyone know if the prices are equal or better in comparison to the Oculus sale?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Oh ok i'll try this. Weird even when i put the sensor in 3.0 usb port it tells me that is not good. The weird part is that was "green ok "for the sensor when i had only just one sensor and the headset in the 3.0 ports.

Edit : hum i plugged them in other ports and it seems good. Really weird.

I don't have any USB 3.0 ports on my 2009 PC but the Oculus setup tool said they're just fine. My newer PC has 3.0 ports but Oculus didn't like the one I plugged the sensor into. Yet it worked just fine anyway.

The touch seems pretty much mandatory at this point.

vermadas

Steam sale highlights (prices USD):

Touch required:
The Art of Fight - 30% off - $12.59
Audioshield - 25% off - $14.99
Onward - 20% off - $19.99
QuiVr - 20% off - $15.99
Raw Data - 20% off - $31.99
Smashbox Arena - 20% off - $23.99
Space Pirate Trainer - 25% off - $11.24
Table Top Simulator - 50% off - $9.99

Touch or gamepad:
New Retro Arcade: Neon - 15% off - $16.99
The Solus Project - 50% off - $9.99
Thumper - 20% off - $15.99
Titans of Space 2.0 - 38% off - $4.95
Windlands - 35% off - $12.99

Gamepad:
DiRT Rally - 60% off - $23.99
Elite Dangerous - 33% off - $20.09
House of the Dying Sun - 35% off - $12.99
Redout: Enhanced Edition - 25% off - $26.24
Subnautica - 50% off - $9.99

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Touch required:
QuiVr - 20% off - $15.99

Touch or gamepad:

Gamepad:

Redout is also on sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/517710/ - 25% off - $26.24

Gamepad support only I believe.

Nice! Sucks that there is no touch support though. I tried it on the PSVR and it was a blurry mess. I cant wait to play at 90hz and supersampled

I think it will get it eventually. The PSVR version didn't have motion control at release either (not sure if it ever got it actually).

I really like the Basketball game in VR Sports Challenge, but my god the challenges get difficult. Scoring 30 points in a game requires hitting a 3 every single play and you have very little room for error. It feels really unbalanced since those challenges are required to progress.

Touch required:
QuiVr - 20% off - $15.99

Touch or gamepad:

Gamepad:

Awesome list!

Anyone else have anything cool to add to this? This and the Oculus sale are going to be rough for me, haha.

Top Bottom