• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Akira Toriyama Designed Android 21

1upsuper

jZjTQBd.jpg
That's a deep cut.

As someone who hasn't seen Super, I absolutely cannot stand Caulifla's design. In every way. her huge "how to draw anime" hair, her lame clothes, and her pathetically thin figure.

Of course I know the "omg universe whatever Saiyans are skinny" excuse, but of course it figures the first prominent female Saiyan ends up being a twig instead of having any musculature whatsoever.

Kale is a much better design, in that at least she doesn't look like she's in the wrong franchise. And her super Saiyan form is at least neat because she's FemBroly. Plus actually muscular female is always cool for a Japanese property.

This new Android isn't great, what with "busty" and "glasses" being her defining traits at this point, but she ain't an outright unattractive character design (and no I don't mean "sexy").

Dragon Ball needs more female fighters though, so whatever it takes I guess.

Signed, long time Android 18 fanboy that wants her to get the limelight she deserves

Bulma should be a playable character in this game. She fights with her gadgets.
Also what is up with GAF's hatred for glasses? It's so dumb.

JackelZXA

As someone who hasn't seen Super, I absolutely cannot stand Caulifla's design. In every way. her huge "how to draw anime" hair, her lame clothes, and her pathetically thin figure.

Of course I know the "omg universe whatever Saiyans are skinny" excuse, but of course it figures the first prominent female Saiyan ends up being a twig instead of having any musculature whatsoever.

Kale is a much better design, in that at least she doesn't look like she's in the wrong franchise. And her super Saiyan form is at least neat because she's FemBroly. Plus actually muscular female is always cool for a Japanese property.

This new Android isn't great, what with "busty" and "glasses" being her defining traits at this point, but she ain't an outright unattractive character design (and no I don't mean "sexy").

Dragon Ball needs more female fighters though, so whatever it takes I guess.

Signed, long time Android 18 fanboy that wants her to get the limelight she deserves

Akira Toriyama created most anime hair tropes???? She literally looks like a teenage female radditz with a haircut. What's the problem? (Cabba's about the same, we've seen bulkier saiyans from u6 but these 3 aren't. Toriyama designed them to match Cabba so they'd be a trio. And again, muscle mass doesn't win fights in dragon ball if you have power level bullshit on your side)

Oh and IIRC, the first female saiyan:

And there's like....14 other female characters in the current tournament (Some have already been erased but still...)

dlc when??

LotusHD

Banned

Well if you had actualy watched the show instead of saying "Pfft, figures", you'd know that the first Saiyan revealed from their universe showed up months before Caulifla did. So it's not like Caulifla is getting singled out or anything. So I dunno, it's a weird implication you're making here, especially when she contrasts with Kale's two Super Saiyan forms anyways, giving you the buff female Saiyan you're apparently looking for anyways, so... there.

EDIT:

And actually, it seems to really only be these 3... kids? Caulifla has a brother who looks pretty "normal". Are... are the U6 trio teenagers or whatever? Not entirely sure...

Watch Super, and you'll actually get to see 18 do something for once, she's participating in the current arc. :p

JackelZXA

Well if you had actualy watched the show instead of saying "Pfft, figures", you'd know that the first Saiyan revealed from their universe showed up months before Caulifla did. So it's not like Caulifla is getting singled out or anything. So I dunno, it's a weird implication you're making here, especially when she contrasts with Kale's two Super Saiyan forms anyways, giving you the buff female Saiyan you're apparently looking for anyways, so... there.

Watch Super, and you'll actually get to see 18 do something for once, she's participating in the current arc. :p

And Kale was shown off first in promotional material, a trailer, and the opening. We didnt know about Caulifla until a week before she showed up.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nah the problem is she is an android so why should she need glasses?

17 and 18 atleast are cyborgs who were initially human and have a majority of their human parts. Who knows what 21 is, but if she's got human parts, she still applies.

Dueck

Banned
She looks like a modernized Janine Melnitz from The Real Ghostbusters. I can't say I like the design, but I don't hate it either. It could've been much worse. It just gives me bad vibes.

fersnake

this is real? why ppl bitching about her wearing glasses? you know what, ppl in real life wear glasses without prescription just to look "intellectual" so why an anime character cant?

Toparaman

Banned
All the logical holes in Dragon Ball, and y'all are losing it over an android wearing glasses.

It's an action-comedy show for children.

Korigama

U6 saiyans look like ass and i hate them. Goten n trunks getting SSJ as kids is also dumb.

U2, hit, u7 gods, all look like toriyama characters.

A21 looks fuckin lit, gettin all kurisu up in here

This game is my 2018 poptart
To a point anyway, going by the hair color and the lab coat. The waviness and the glasses bring Moeka to mind as well, though.

Zubz

Banned
I'm still grossed out that she could be Gero's wife or a gynoid modeled in her image.

Why's that? Dr. Gero's allowed to love someone, & she's allowed to love Gero.

The "modeled in her image" part's a bit creepy, but Android 16 was hella cool so I'll give it a pass if he did it again.

I agree that Caulifa is a terrible design that doesnt even animate well I dont think. The baggy pants and exaggerated saiyan hair are just ugly

Cant imagine she'd look good in a game like this either

Jezan

Perhaps as Queen she can raise the budget of the show for better artwork.
Nice.
#TeamRibrianne
wut.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sC7xcj_6L1M/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Is she from Saint Seiya? Those eyes are farther than the moon and the Earth. Someone show this to JJ Abrams, maybe he will be able to do space distances right in Episode IX with this reference. :P

Android 21 looks good, but I don't like her dress, hopefully alt colors will correct it, but also will probably mess her hair, which looks fucking awesome. But that also makes me want Zangya in this game. And since this is an AU game, Bulma should also be playable using all kinds of weapons and Capsule Corp. tech, she has done more than anyone to advance any plot in Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super

Trickster

Child who has never fought a day in his life or experienced extreme emotional pain suddenly achieves Super Saiyan for no reason: (x2)

main-qimg-a4747d1cd782a682b6983d4e16254e6b-c

Edit:

Welcome to Akira Toriyama.

Trunks and Goten being able to go Super Saiyan is dumb, but not compared to her. Also at least they are enjoyable characters

Frieza is shit after Namek, more news at 11

Trunks and Goten being able to go Super Saiyan is dumb, but not compared to her. Also at least they are enjoyable characters

Not a big fan of Caulifla, but personally I vastly prefer her to the wonder tots.
Like to see this argument without people having buu saga nostalgia

Ray Down

Banned
Child who has never fought a day in his life or experienced extreme emotional pain suddenly achieves Super Saiyan for no reason: (x2)

main-qimg-a4747d1cd782a682b6983d4e16254e6b-c

Edit:

Welcome to Akira Toriyama.

Goten and Trunks did fight, Trucks trained with Vegeta and Trunks and Goten fought.

Goten also sparred with Chi-chi but it's not like that means much.

JackelZXA

You haven't seen her character other than design, so you don't know if she's enjoyable or not. (Maybe she's REALLY FUNNY)

Golden Freeza's the fuckin' shit. Freeza's plot to overthrow the gods is the most intriguing potential storyline in super right now.

Goten and Trunks did fight, Trucks trained with Vegeta and Trunks and Goten fought.

Goten also sparred with Chi-chi but it's not like that means much.

Vegeta didn't know Trunks could go Super...sparring with Chi Chi is enough to go Super Saiyan?? Why didn't Goku go Super Saiyan in the Junior arc then?

The reason Trunks and Goten became Super Saiyans is Toriyama thought it would be really funny. That's the sort of attitude he has.

My point is these are petty complaints and you're taking Dragon Ball more seriously than Toriyama ever did. Get over it. You can like what you like but when you make a big deal about it it becomes obnoxious.

21 might just be Gero's wife converted into an Artificial Human. They aren't all Cyborgs and they aren't all Androids, it's nebulous because Toriyama just goes "Oh they're kind of roboty I guess." (18 had a daughter and 17 has 3 kids)

Ray Down

Banned
Vegeta didn't know Trunks could go Super...sparring with Chi Chi is enough to go Super Saiyan?? Why didn't Goku go Super Saiyan in the Junior arc then?

Did I say Trunks went Super with Vegeta? He very well went super went Goten when sparring.

I said Chi-Chi training didn't mean much.

JackelZXA

Did I say Trunks went Super with Vegeta? He very well went super went Goten when sparring.

I said Chi-Chi training didn't mean much.

Trunks went Super with Vegeta but Vegeta didnt know he could do that. There's less justification for how Trunks attains Super Saiyan than how Caulifla does. At least she gets a physical explanation of ki control towards transforming. Trunks just "figured it out by himself". (Also Caulifla is a crime boss, so she gets in fights)

The point is that Toriyama himself stopped caring about Super Saiyan after the Cell arc. It became insanely popular so he started making fun of it. Goten and Trunks just somehow figure out how to go Super, and then later they somehow figure out how to go Super Saiyan 3 because trunks "felt" goku do it for a minute (and we never get a full explanation of how goku learned SSJ3 or SSJ2, either!)

Top Bottom