• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Should I wait for a complete edition of Nier still or pull the trigger now?

At this point, I would say wait for a few months to a year to see if they announce a remaster (which is looking more and more likely).

DieH@rd

Banned
- Nier was way above expectations and they'll be working to build it into a major franchise going forward

neir.JPG

There is justice in this world.

Stygr

Banned
Who said anything about a AAA budget?

I dont understand why some of the posts in this thread is just assuming that Taro is inexplicably going to leave Nier or that SE is going to screw it up somehow. This is tremendously good news, there's literally nothing to be upset about.

SE screwed a lot of franchises, if they leave PG and YT with the franchise i'm ok, but if the next Nier game will be developed by some BD studio of SE meh

Ferr986

I dont understand why some of the posts in this thread is just assuming that Taro is inexplicably going to leave Nier or that SE is going to screw it up somehow. This is tremendously good news, there's literally nothing to be upset about.

The Taroverse games (Nier and Drakengard) has been about making games that feel different and are mostly on their own thing. Personally what I don't want is that they start to make Automata sequels because it's what popular right now. I want fresh stuff from Taro.

I don't think a Gestalt remaster is ever happening. Too much effort.

It's more effort to re-dub the whole game in english for Replicant than just have 2 models IMO.

Gbraga

I guess you're right.

GIven how different Automata already is to OG Nier i don't see that as much of a risk unless SE actively starts meddling with the creative direction.

In the worst case, he'll be making a game called "Nier: Drakengard" or "Nier: Saltmonster adventures".

It is very different, but it's still way more closely related to the original than something like a new Final Fantasy. That being said, they could just change it moving forward and completely ignore the previous games, I suppose.

Asd202

I wonder if Yoko Taro is really happy about this. It wouldn't want it to become another Konami/Kojima situation when he will be "forced" to make Nier games.

Orb

I have this feeling that Yoko Taro may bail if they're treating this like a real IP. It's not, it's Taro's baby (a giant super fucking scary baby that came out from a portal on the sky)
I'm sure Taro isn't gonna bail on finally having a financially stable career

Satch

Banned
on one hand i understand the fear that they could fuck it up by turning the franchise over to someone else. but on the other hand i think Square Enix realizes how instrumental Yoko Taro was to the game's success. not even necessarily the writing or game direction, but outside of the game he's really great at advertising

but it is shit square enix so who knows?

BadWolf

I have this feeling that Yoko Taro may bail if they're treating this like a real IP. It's not, it's Taro's baby (a giant super fucking scary baby that came out from a portal on the sky)

The heck?

The guy is over the moon at the game's success.

Zero chance he will bail.

LotusHD

Banned
I guess you're right.

Yea, like, how about we let Nier actually fuck up first, before getting all worried that it becoming much more popular is somehow a bad thing lol

Didn't Taro even like cry or something at how successful this game was? He of all people must feel ecstatic.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Funny how Nier ended up being bigger than Persona/Yakuza/Danganronpa :p
Multiplat release also paid off.

Wait, HAS Automata sold more than Persona? My friend literally just told me that Automata broke 2 million while the most recent reports show P5 at about 1.8 million.

wmlk

on one hand i understand the fear that they could fuck it up by turning the franchise over to someone else. but on the other hand i think Square Enix realizes how instrumental Yoko Taro was to the game's success. not even necessarily the writing or game direction, but outside of the game he's really great at advertising

but it is shit square enix so who knows?

"Shit Square Enix" is the reason Yoko Taro has a job.

"Shit Square Enix" is the reason why THEY MADE ANOTHER NIER GAME

danthefan

I loved Nier and I'm really happy they're going to make more but SE pls just let the guy (Taro?) do his thing and don't fucking interfere.

I beg you.

OryoN

Awesome to hear! I'm expecially happy for Platinum Games who - despite being legendary in action games craftsmanship - haven't been seeing their games perform(sales wise) according to the love poured into them.

Tesser

Can't wait for the Nier Compilation sponsored by Coleman and Nissin.

I look forward to seeing Yoko Taro popping up in fashion magazines and ads for Nissan/Toyota. He's already proven he's a master salesman of T-Shirts, so why not?

-

IIRC, didn't Squeenix say something along the lines that (despite the series' niche appeal) the 1.5 million units sld through in May was UNDER their expectations. Perhaps we're talking about commercial and critical expectations here, but it sounds like they've changed their tune given it's now passed two million in sales.

Buckle

I wonder if Yoko Taro is really happy about this. It wouldn't want it to become another Konami/Kojima situation when he will be "forced" to make Nier games.
Thats the thing though. Nier games can be pretty much be anything he wants.

Nier 1 and 2 feel almost worlds apart from each other. He could do that again with the next one.

Squire

Banned
The game selling so well is excellent news. Really demonstrates there's still an appetite for genuinely good games with artistic merit. I'll keep the champagne in the cellar for now though. Square's shown they'll milk the very marrow from an IPs bones, and I'm not gonna take it for granted that Taro would work on everything they do. He probably won't.

Also lol @ people using a corporate quote to defend XV. How pitiful. It's still garbage lmao

DieH@rd

Banned
Damn, good for them.

Especially for Plat. This gives them a title they can indefinitely work on.

Who knows, maybe SE will return the franchise in house to make big-scale RPG.

But in the immediate future, I hope they will crank out another action game with Platinum.

I'm happy but also worried this might mean they'll try to put Nier in a direction that suits them better.

Considering that they continued to let Yoko Taro do whatever weird bullshit he wanted both in his games and in public despite his games having mediocre to shitty sales/critical reception I don't see why they'd suddenly decide to hold a tighter leash on him now that he's finally made a smash hit. If anything Automata's success will probably result in him having the freedom to do even weirder shit.

NESpowerhouse

Yeah that's true though Persona 5 may be higher now.

Wow...

Regardless, this is some crazy shit.

I'm on a full-on Nier hype train right now. I listened to the full soundtrack, I just bought the game as a result of the sale, I'm even going to incorporate Nier Automata into a project for my web class. If any game has the potential to top P5 for personal GOTY for me, it's this one.

Yogg

I'm actually not convinced a AAA Nier game will be the best. I'm scared it will succumb to the majority of "features" glued to current high-budget games: season pass, microtransactions, streamlining of the content, forced multiplayer.

Of course I hope the next game will just stay the course, and that would mean a great game.

Perineum

Good. It was a good game. Given a better budget they can work on enemy variety and making enemies more challenging. The combat system is fantastic, but the enemies in Automata never let you truly do the combat justice since enemies die without much of a fight.

The game selling so well is excellent news. Really demonstrates there's still an appetite for genuinely good games with artistic merit. I'll keep the champagne in the cellar for now though. Square's shown they'll milk the very marrow from an IPs bones, and I'm not gonna take it for granted that Taro would work on everything they do. He probably won't.

Also lol @ people using a corporate quote to defend XV. How pitiful. It's still garbage lmao

Good for you.

Congrats to ALL the dev teams on their success.

Greedings

Because I'm a pessimist, I worry that this means they'll give it a moderate budget and expect it to sell gang busters.
Then when it sells only 2-3 million, they'll call it a huge disappointment.

Top Bottom