• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

JadedWriter
(08-17-2017, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Seductivpancakes

So I am leaving C21. They're incredibly adamant about having me prove that I am unavailable on the new hours they want me to work.

Unless I find work right away, I have a lot of free time since I just finished school. Going to spend the free time practicing photography and cinematography. You guys know any locations that are interesting to shoot?

I usually do my shoots in Central Park and the Highline, I do a good amount of street portraits in the Duffy Square area. Southstreet Seaport is ok, I was in Riverside Park a couple of weeks ago. Bryant Park can be interesting at times depending on what's going on.
CrocMother
(08-17-2017, 08:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Jhoan

That's a load of crap but leaving the wonderful world of retail behind is for the best. Are you transferring to a senior CUNY college or you going to take time off?

I was in Red Hook for the first time last Sunday and liked the area a lot. I was at the Valentino Pier hanging out there for a while and enjoying the view. The warehouses in the area put Williamsburg's last remaining warehouses to shame. I also think the area near the Pulaski Bridge in Greenpoint seems pretty interesting and anywhere where the BQE extends. It ultimately depends on what kind of stuff you're looking to shoot though. I'm a sucker for warehouses, graffiti, and urban decay.

For any comic book fans out there, this might be of interest to check out:

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out the Waste Water Treatment plant in Greenpoint.
dickroach
(08-17-2017, 08:37 PM)
anyone going to that Play NYC Convention at terminal 5 this weekend? is that thing still happening? really bad lack of promotion/updates/etc
fallengorn
Bitches love smiley faces
(08-17-2017, 09:31 PM)

Originally Posted by dickroach

anyone going to that Play NYC Convention at terminal 5 this weekend? is that thing still happening? really bad lack of promotion/updates/etc

Was planning on at least going on Saturday, but probably not in the cards anymore since I'm dealing with a family emergency right now.

If anyone is going, I hope they take lots of pics. Would like to know how it is.
Vyse24
(08-17-2017, 10:33 PM)

Going both days to see what it's like. I'll be taking pictures.
Seductivpancakes
(08-18-2017, 12:36 AM)

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

I usually do my shoots in Central Park and the Highline, I do a good amount of street portraits in the Duffy Square area. Southstreet Seaport is ok, I was in Riverside Park a couple of weeks ago. Bryant Park can be interesting at times depending on what's going on.

Thanks. I haven't been to Southstreet seaport in ages. Use to live in the LES.
Jhoan
(08-18-2017, 04:19 AM)

Originally Posted by CrocMother

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out the Waste Water Treatment plant in Greenpoint.

Sounds like an interesting place. How far is it from the Pulaski Bridge?

I'm volunteering there this weekend. Have mandatory orientation tomorrow night.

They are worried about the success of it but I think we got a solid group of con veterans in our ranks. I've worked a bunch of newbie cons and some of them were bad, whereas others had a good team of people behind the scenes. I'll have a good idea of how many people are in tomorrow night.

@seductivepancakes, tonight's film that I saw, Beach Rats was filmed in South Brooklyn/Coney Island. The actors were recruited from the area. You should look into it.
Penguin
(08-18-2017, 04:32 AM)

I guess diff for me since know the guy who is running/organizing it and always see updates for it. Also think was doing press this week.

But not going with all of the SummerSlam activities this week gonna be drained.

Also how does mid-Sept sound for our DnD day?
JadedWriter
(08-18-2017, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Seductivpancakes

Thanks. I haven't been to Southstreet seaport in ages. Use to live in the LES.

Getting there from Brooklyn can be a hassle, but it's not too bad. Here is some stuff from the last time I went:
DSC_1971 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2022 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2102 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
More Here:
Oxn
(08-18-2017, 04:48 PM)
This humidity, holy shit.
Marvie_3
(08-18-2017, 05:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Oxn

Yeah its disgusting out.
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(08-18-2017, 05:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Oxn

Reason why I hate summer.
Penguin
(08-18-2017, 05:33 PM)
Ha so the rain did nothing this morning?
Vyse24
(08-18-2017, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

A lightning bolt nearby almost gave me a heart attack. That's about it.
backflip10019
(08-18-2017, 06:35 PM)

Just made everyone wet and miserable, as opposed to just miserable.
B-Dubs
No Scrubs
(08-18-2017, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Vyse24

A lightning bolt nearby almost gave me a heart attack. That's about it.

The thunder rattled my windows. Freaked me the hell out for a second.
Jhoan
(08-18-2017, 07:40 PM)

I guess diff for me since know the guy who is running/organizing it and always see updates for it. Also think was doing press this week.

But not going with all of the SummerSlam activities this week gonna be drained.

Also how does mid-Sept sound for our DnD day?

Hmm...mid September looks ugly for the picture for me personally. I'm planning on signing up to volunteer for Photoville at Brooklyn Bridge Plaza so if we were to meet at Fulton Mall, that could work. I'm going to be volunteering at an event almost weekend in September; I'll be uber busy the weekend of the 23rd/24th.

Oh and I didn't hear any thunder up here but I can confirm that it is indeed humid. I'm pretty sure that I'll be sweating up a storm even after showering and hitting the gym today.
B-Dubs
No Scrubs
(08-18-2017, 07:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Jhoan

Hmm...mid September looks ugly for the picture for me personally. I'm planning on signing up to volunteer for Photoville at Brooklyn Bridge Plaza so if we were to meet at Fulton Mall, that could work. I'm going to be volunteering at an event almost weekend in September; I'll be uber busy the weekend of the 23rd/24th.

Oh and I didn't hear any thunder up here but I can confirm that it is indeed humid. I'm pretty sure that I'll be sweating up a storm even after showering and hitting the gym today.

I'm out of state for the second week of October, so September is cool for me.
Seigyoku
(08-18-2017, 09:28 PM)
There was rain this morning??

(Full disclosure, when I lived in California I regularly slept through earthquakes. A roommate thought I was a dead once because I didn't budge as the whole room moved.)
CrocMother
(Yesterday, 12:14 AM)
I live near Fulton mall, have dice and a dnd guide book. I've never dm'd but I've played about a dozen times
Jhoan
(Yesterday, 04:05 AM)
But is there a place near Fulton Mall that allows booze? Million dollar question.

For anyone going to Play NYC tomorrow, I'll be working at the info booth. Unfortunately, the shirts were lost in transition so volunteers will be wearing generic black shirts. Can't miss my long, curly hair that looks like Sideshow Bob. I'm probably going to switch lanyards to either a Final Fantasy one with all the protagonists in 8 bit or one that has a ton of pins on it.

Attendees are getting free Monster energy drink, Monster lanyard (limited supply), a USB drive, and a fruit bar among other swag goodies. The venue is small but cool. Entrance is on 55th between 11th and 12th.
Vyse24
(Yesterday, 02:00 PM)
I'll keep an eye out for that. I should probably bring my own lanyard to carry my ticket in.