• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

MickD
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:51 PM)
MickD's Avatar
Any one have a clue what USB power adapter I need for my google usb c cable. My Belkin power adapter isn't working.
Vitacat
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:53 PM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by RootCause

I haven't used the screenshot much yet. I've only used it for some Zelda recipes. :P


What sites are supported?

Twitter and Facebook I believe. Meh. I hate using FB for anything, and I don't use Twitter.

I wish it would include imgur.
casey_contra
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:54 PM)
casey_contra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vitacat

Twitter and Facebook I believe. Meh. I hate using FB for anything, and I don't use Twitter.

I wish it would include imgur.

I wish they would include Instagram!

Pro tip: You can connect your Switch with facebook and make it share to an album only you can view. Then you can just save the pics to your phone to use as you wish and it also stores them all in one place online (the FB album).
RootCause
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:55 PM)
RootCause's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vitacat

Twitter and Facebook I believe. Meh. I hate using FB for anything, and I don't use Twitter.

I wish it would include imgur.

Thanks. imgur would be great. Hope they add that one.

What are gaf members doing to upload it to the gaf screenshot thread? are they simply taking the card out and plugging it to the pc?
F34R
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by linkboy

RAVPower 20100mAh 30W Type C

Unfortunately, it's out of stock.

Originally Posted by Salaadin

Is this portable charger a good option for the Switch?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9QVE4Q...LPQ1RT51&psc=1

It looks good to me but I'd like some other opinions.

I want to get one and attach it to my case somehow so that I always have it with me.

Originally Posted by MadClacker

This is what I use, and I'm able to charge quicker than the Switch depletes battery, even while playing Zelda!

https://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-15000m.../dp/B00JP8MZGK

Here's what I have coming in the post tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(03-20-2017, 10:11 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar
First time using the joycons with steps to play snipperclips with my kids. First, snipperclips is a lot of fun. Second, the straps are a royal PITA. Even with the lock carefully unlocked, they're still stiff to remove. I ended up jamming the metal rail under one fingernail as I was trying to dislodge one strap, and scrapping my finger as the other one came off suddenly.

The combination of metal underneath and little area to grip onto is a recipe for disaster. i think if I'm just playing snipperclips I'll try with naked joycons
Vitacat
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:16 PM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

First time using the joycons with steps to play snipperclips with my kids. First, snipperclips is a lot of fun. Second, the straps are a royal PITA. Even with the lock carefully unlocked, they're still stiff to remove. I ended up jamming the metal rail under one fingernail as I was trying to dislodge one strap, and scrapping my finger as the other one came off suddenly.

The combination of metal underneath and little area to grip onto is a recipe for disaster. i think if I'm just playing snipperclips I'll try with naked joycons

They become significantly easier to remove after a couple of times.
I Wanna Be The Guy
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
(03-20-2017, 10:19 PM)
I Wanna Be The Guy's Avatar
Playing with single joycons on their side is soooo uncomfortable. A far cry from the wiimote. With the wiimote nunchuk setup for joycons I think they're great. But individually on their side? Ugh. Do not want to play a game like this ever. And for the record I loved playing the wiimote like this. Joycons are just too small foe this setup. Not comfortable at all.
Vitacat
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:23 PM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by I Wanna Be The Guy

Playing with single joycons on their side is soooo uncomfortable. A far cry from the wiimote. With the wiimote nunchuk setup for joycons I think they're great. But individually on their side? Ugh. Do not want to play a game like this ever. And for the record I loved playing the wiimote like this. Joycons are just too small foe this setup. Not comfortable at all.

I love Wiimotes. I keep hoping Nintendo decides to add support for them into Switch firmware. Doubtful it will happen, but it would be nice.

As for Joycons, they're OK. Perfectly serviceable in handheld mode. Pretty comfy in split mode actually. But in NES pad style mode, they're not the best.
Garrett Hawke
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:25 PM)
Garrett Hawke's Avatar
wiimotes use bluetooth, right?

it's probably possible
Vitacat
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:26 PM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

wiimotes use bluetooth, right?

it's probably possible

Yes, it's surely possible. Just a matter of whether Nintendo will do it. They do have some history of enabling support of legacy controllers, at least for certain games. So, maybe...
optimiss
Junior Member
(03-20-2017, 10:38 PM)
optimiss's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

Yeah, HD rumble hasn't impressed me either. Only Blaster Master uses it of the games I've played though.

I have a feeling it will just be good for single/seperate joycon games, like 1 2 Switch and things like ball count as mentioned above. Those type of things are generally not my cup of tea though, so it will be a useless feature for me.

No biggie, other than driving up costs a tad I guess. But I've already paid for the console and a pro pad so no sense worrying about that now. I've never been a huge rumble fan in general anyway.

I really like Blaster Master's use of HD rumble as it has a lot of variation in use. The parts where the sound of the rumble compliments the music/sound effects is really cool.
whiteape
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:46 PM)
whiteape's Avatar
I just asked Mimi Productions if Shadow tactics will be on Switch and this was their reply:

@rlgarage The possibilities are endless 🍬
mindblown.gif

https://twitter.com/mimimiprod/statu...37520442314754

Would be a nice game on the go :)
Wagram
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:24 PM)
Wagram's Avatar
Opened my Switch finally. A few brief thoughts.

Easiest console setup ever.
Do not like the "controller" holder thing. Not very comfortable.
Joy Cons feel off in a wii mote form, but feel great as a handheld.
Charge time is absolutely outrageous.
Pro controller is awesome.
Very vibrant screen.
Lightning quick system update.
Ui is slick and to the point. No clutter, no non-sense.
I do not like the dock at all.
Overall: I like it.

One big negative i'll point out though is on the very bottom of my screen (in the black part) there's some sort of mark. Not a scratch or anything, but it stands out when light is directed onto it. Will not impact gameplay at all, but annoying.

I decided to use the Pro controller packaging foam as a form of protection against scratches. It was a snug fit, but it works. Has anyone had any problems doing this?
Last edited by Wagram; 03-20-2017 at 11:26 PM.
sphinx
the piano man
(03-20-2017, 11:35 PM)
sphinx's Avatar
you guys saw that mana rumor?

I wonder why is it that Square Enix seems so on board with the Switch. I think it's great but I am thrilled... I have the suspicion we are getting an exclusive or something.

it seems like Nintendo made deals with them.
mojo2
Junior Member
(03-20-2017, 11:39 PM)
mojo2's Avatar

Originally Posted by PSFan

The screen on my laptop detaches from the keyboard to become a tablet. The power, hdmi out and other ports are on the keyboard. So I "dock" it in my keyboard, much like how the Switch docks. Seems like you're the one without a clue, really.

What? Whether you dock your laptop screen or don't has nothing to do with anything I said. Just stop please.
Majine
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:41 PM)
Majine's Avatar
It got very overshadowed by Zelda, but man, Snipperclips is brilliant and kinda sells this system as a portable multiplayer machine better than 1-2 Switch does.

So simple to take off the joycons and hand one to a friend and you're both having a ball.
Last edited by Majine; 03-20-2017 at 11:47 PM.
mojo2
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 12:00 AM)
mojo2's Avatar
Is anyone else having problems with the gyro? Mine freezes quite often and I have to shake the controller for it to wake up and register movement again. It's not that convenient when playing handheld, eh. I'm playing Zelda.
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:07 AM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
So I can just take the USB C cable that came with the Pro controller and an iPad charger (the bigger ones, not the smaller phone units) and charge the Switch while traveling?
gameongreggy
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:09 AM)
gameongreggy's Avatar
Has anyone figured out what the hoop is on the back of the controller? Wife thought maybe to tie the joycon bats on- but that doesn't make sense since you'd have to untie all the time.
pulsemyne
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Wagram

Opened my Switch finally. A few brief thoughts.

Easiest console setup ever.
Do not like the "controller" holder thing. Not very comfortable.
Joy Cons feel off in a wii mote form, but feel great as a handheld.
Charge time is absolutely outrageous.
Pro controller is awesome.
Very vibrant screen.
Lightning quick system update.
Ui is slick and to the point. No clutter, no non-sense.
I do not like the dock at all.
Overall: I like it.

One big negative i'll point out though is on the very bottom of my screen (in the black part) there's some sort of mark. Not a scratch or anything, but it stands out when light is directed onto it. Will not impact gameplay at all, but annoying.

I decided to use the Pro controller packaging foam as a form of protection against scratches. It was a snug fit, but it works. Has anyone had any problems doing this?

That's very probably the light sensor for the auto brightness system.
Dazzler
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:18 AM)
Dazzler's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

So I can just take the USB C cable that came with the Pro controller and an iPad charger (the bigger ones, not the smaller phone units) and charge the Switch while traveling?

Would also like to know this
Jaded Alyx
(03-21-2017, 12:23 AM)
Jaded Alyx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wagram


One big negative i'll point out though is on the very bottom of my screen (in the black part) there's some sort of mark. Not a scratch or anything, but it stands out when light is directed onto it. Will not impact gameplay at all, but annoying.

You sure that's not the light sensor?
Protome
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:29 AM)
Protome's Avatar

Originally Posted by gameongreggy

Has anyone figured out what the hoop is on the back of the controller? Wife thought maybe to tie the joycon bats on- but that doesn't make sense since you'd have to untie all the time.

I assumed they were packaged in a way that used that hook to hang up on displays in stores.

But they come in boxes, so that idea was a dud. I too am interested in the grip's weird tiny hoop.
FuttBuck
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:45 AM)
FuttBuck's Avatar
I managed to snag a Pro Controller today at a Bestbuy (just in time for my Dock fixes to be complete) and this controller is pretty damn sweet. I did some digging and love the fact that I can turn on Airplane mode but also have Bluetooth remain enabled for the Pro Controller, really nice to see small things like that.

Up to this point I've been Mobile 100% and damn I sure have been missing out with BotW on a 27" Monitor.
linkboy
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:50 AM)
linkboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by MickD

Any one have a clue what USB power adapter I need for my google usb c cable. My Belkin power adapter isn't working.

If you're using it with the dock, it won't work. The dock needs 30w of power and outside of Apple's stuff (and the official adapter), I've yet to see a USB-C plug with enough pull.

If you're using it portable, I recommend this one

I bought it last summer for my Nexus 6P and it works great with my switch.
SuperSah
Was it over when the Russians bombed Gaza? Hell no!
(03-21-2017, 01:52 AM)
SuperSah's Avatar
Had my unit at launch.

I absolutely love the screen on this thing. It's so damned vibrant, well calibrated and everything on it pops. Great job Nintendo!
RootCause
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:29 AM)
RootCause's Avatar

Originally Posted by SuperSah

Had my unit at launch.

I absolutely love the screen on this thing. It's so damned vibrant, well calibrated and everything on it pops. Great job Nintendo!

Yep, screen is great. I'm glad they didn't stick an oled in there. I might be in the minority, but I wasn't a fan of the oled screen on my vita.

Also, the screen feels massive, absolutely love it.
nickgia
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:45 AM)
nickgia's Avatar
I really love the Switch but please please please Nintendo, make a joycon with a real d-pad.
NolbertoS
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:03 AM)
NolbertoS's Avatar
So I got another Switch anecdote. I was in the movies (Cineplex Odeon in canada) and saw a Switch Booth set up for people to see the Switch and watch demos. I honestly can't recall the last time a console was advertised in theatres. Seems Nintendo is going all out for the Switch.
Last edited by NolbertoS; 03-21-2017 at 05:08 AM.
TheWraith
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:25 AM)
TheWraith's Avatar

Originally Posted by nickgia

I really love the Switch but please please please Nintendo, make a joycon with a real d-pad.

This. I simply don't understand how they went without a d-pad for the left joycon!
KoruptData
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:30 AM)
KoruptData's Avatar

Originally Posted by AaronMT86

Anyone have experience with HDMI extractor's? I want to get an optical audio input to my wireless transmitter (Astro A50).

https://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-Extract.../dp/B00KBHX072

I bought this guy and it works amazingly.
nickgia
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:46 AM)
nickgia's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheWraith

This. I simply don't understand how they went without a d-pad for the left joycon!

I get that they felt the need for buttons if you do multiplayer, but I would rather have a less enjoyable multiplayer experience than an awful d-pad.
_woLf
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:48 AM)
_woLf's Avatar
When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.

It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.
valinthyne
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 04:51 AM)
valinthyne's Avatar
Just came across this wireless hard drive.

If anyone potentially has access to one of these and can find out if the Switch is compatible that would be amazing. I doubt it would work for moving whole games around. But it'd be cool to basically just grab the screenshots using my phone while this thing sits in my bag.



edit:
The more I think about it, the more Nintendo better basically do this with their app. Funnel the wifi through it to allow access to your saves and screenshots. Easily pull them on to your phone/tablet. And run the audio over the connection. So if I have to put headphones in from my phone for voice, I get game audio too (with mixing options).



...a boy can dream right?
Last edited by valinthyne; 03-21-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Murgatroyd
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 05:00 AM)
Murgatroyd's Avatar

Originally Posted by _woLf

When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.


It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.

Jesus. That is not good. At all. Scary to think one night of that can permanently ruin the screen with burn in. Oh, and it wont go away. Doesn't work like that. It's ruined. I'd be pissed. Guess i'll stop using sleep mode and just power it off every time i'm done playing.
KoruptData
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:04 AM)
KoruptData's Avatar
Yikes. I always dock mine at the end of the night so I don't think my screen would turn on. Hopefully Nintendo will send you a new one.
Vitacat
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:05 AM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by _woLf

When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.


It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.

I'm so sorry to read that. That sucks.

You should contact Nintendo by phone and explain what happened. The fact that you used an official AC adapter means they're liable to fix or replace your Switch. Plus, if there is a firmware bug that caused that, you'd be helping all of us Switch users by making them aware of it.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
AmyS
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:06 AM)
Was fun seeing Michael Pachter unbox his Switch.

https://youtu.be/mDnxt3kqmkM?t=2m54s

Marty Chinn
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:19 AM)
Marty Chinn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Murgatroyd

Jesus. That is not good. At all. Scary to think one night of that can permanently ruin the screen with burn in. Oh, and it wont go away. Doesn't work like that. It's ruined. I'd be pissed. Guess i'll stop using sleep mode and just power it off every time i'm done playing.

It might not be ruined. It could be image retention and not burn in.
_woLf
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:21 AM)
_woLf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marty Chinn

It might not be ruined. It could be image retention and not burn in.

This is really what I'm hoping it is. I didn't even think burn in is a problem on these kinds of screens, it's not like they're OLEDs :/
Marty Chinn
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:23 AM)
Marty Chinn's Avatar

Originally Posted by _woLf

This is really what I'm hoping it is. I didn't even think burn in is a problem on these kinds of screens, it's not like they're OLEDs :/

Just a heads up; image retention doesn't go away from leaving it off. It goes away with usage.
SickBoy
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:40 AM)
SickBoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by _woLf

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

So just to be clear -- and in no way is this meant to be blaming you, because this shouldn't happen -- you left the system on with the expectation it would go to sleep (based on your settings)?

Stories like yours and of people's Switches waking up while tucked away in a bag are some of the more disconcerting ones I've heard.
SomewhatGroovy
(03-21-2017, 05:48 AM)
SomewhatGroovy's Avatar
yeah, let us know what happens wolf. sorry you had to be the one to go through this to help the rest of us learn.
Croc
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:57 AM)
Croc's Avatar
what does the color of the game title in recently played titles mean?

Some are blueish and some are grey.
Bigboss242
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:01 AM)
I turn my switch off be careful plugging it into a charger automatically turns the console back on.
_woLf
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:03 AM)
_woLf's Avatar

Originally Posted by SickBoy

So just to be clear -- and in no way is this meant to be blaming you, because this shouldn't happen -- you left the system on with the expectation it would go to sleep (based on your settings)?

Stories like yours and of people's Switches waking up while tucked away in a bag are some of the more disconcerting ones I've heard.

I've been doing it the same way since I bought it, I plug in the usb-c charger, turn the screen off and put it down. I assume I forgot to turn the screen off last night, but if I did it appears the auto sleep failed to work so it sat at the main menu with no activity for 24 hours. I know sometimes I will turn the screen off, then plug in the charger and the screen will turn back on, so then I will have to turn it off again. Maybe I forgot this time, but that definitely shouldn't be something you have to do every time.

I honestly can't remember if the screen was on or not when I picked it up tonight. I was more concerned/perplexed by how warm it was to really notice. But I definitely know I've left the system on once or twice (fell asleep, went to make dinner, whatever) and its always gone into sleep mode from inactivity.

I think I will call NoA even if the burn in fades over time because this to me suggests the auto sleep functionality is not working as intended.

Waking up in a bag/case is a concern of mine too. The Zelda case I have will cause the analog sticks to click in, so I always have the case open and put the Switch in its spot in the case with it plugged in, just so I know nothing will accidentally hit a button.

I'll keep everyone updated. I guess for now the lesson is to be careful with sleep mode while charging :/
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(03-21-2017, 09:59 AM)
Tunesmith's Avatar
Half the time I wake the console up it doesn't register my left joy con (right is perfectly fine) and I have to wrestle menus or repeated L presses and magical rituals to make it work.

Shit is ridiculous how such a hardware design defect could pass QA. There better be a revision recall.

For the record I sit approx 1.5m away from the dock which is in plain sight.
Ninja Dom
Member
(03-21-2017, 10:44 AM)
Ninja Dom's Avatar
Isn't that because when you use the Joy-cons, you always wake it with the right joy-con? And then have to press the L button so that the Switch realizes that it's there?
SinCityAssassin
Member
(03-21-2017, 10:48 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunesmith

Shit is ridiculous how such a hardware design defect could pass QA. There better be a revision recall.

If you're truly having big problems with your left joycon, contact Nintendo customer service to get a new one under your warranty.

Thread Tools