• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

tebunker
Member
(03-19-2017, 04:13 AM)
tebunker's Avatar
So I just noticed today, since I rarely play out of the dock, that the right screen of my side sits higher than my left, liked the bezel is just over the edge of the side enough that you can rub it and feel it.

Anyone else's system like this? Everything is working fine, but I know it is going to bug the hell out of me that it isn't perfectly flush.
Maxrunner
Member
(03-19-2017, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Lexxism

Yeah, that's what I'm planning. I'll probably wait till next week. If it is still doesn't show up, I'll probably just get the Hori screen protector.

If it is available to you, yes.

Yeah Amazon uk seems to have these.
JStein0222
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:58 AM)
JStein0222's Avatar
Edit: nevermind, figured it out!

My amFilm protector is reeeeallly nice. One of the best protectors I have ever had I think
Last edited by JStein0222; 03-19-2017 at 07:03 AM.
thatJohann
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:41 PM)
thatJohann's Avatar
Does anyone know if Nintendo World NYC store sells the RDS travel case? Or only online?
Joe Shlabotnik
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:43 PM)
Joe Shlabotnik's Avatar

Originally Posted by thatJohann

Does anyone know if Nintendo World NYC store sells the RDS travel case? Or only online?

I went yesterday and they had zero cases in stock, I don't know what brands they had though (if any). I couldn't even find display boxes.
Cepheus
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:48 PM)
Cepheus's Avatar
I finally applied my Orzly screen protector this morning, and it looks great. I'm so glad I bought one. However, it was a bit of a nightmare to put on. The dust stickers that came with it left adhesive residue on the screen before I put the protector on which I had to try and clean off, and in doing so I accidentally scratched the screen a ton. Thankfully I managed to iron it all out in the end, but yeah. I'm not going to play on my Switch for a few hours though because I'm not sure whether I have to leave it to set or not. It didn't say anything about doing that in the instructions.
thatJohann
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:53 PM)
thatJohann's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik

I went yesterday and they had zero cases in stock, I don't know what brands they had though (if any). I couldn't even find display boxes.

Gotcha. Just bought the RDS case online on Nintendo.com.
bytesized
Member
(03-19-2017, 03:05 PM)
bytesized's Avatar
I just impulse bought the Nintendo switch Keten hard case because it was discounted from 30 to just 8 euros and it seems to have a lot of storage in a very compact form factor.



https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B06XGJ...uVL&ref=plSrch

Had anybody else bought it? Is it good?

I was going to buy a case like the ardistel ones which fit the switch with the joycons attached to its sides but, because my joycons are very slightly wobbly, I'm afraid that a drop or somebody sitting on top of the case with the joycons attached might damage the rails and increase the wobbliness. I also think that the cases with the joycons detached will feel smaller and easier to find space for it in any kind of bag. What do you guys think?

I should receive it in Thursday, I will let you guys know if it's any good.
Last edited by bytesized; 03-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.
billmcdougal
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:57 PM)
billmcdougal's Avatar
I'd be interested in a case like that cause I think it'd fit in a cargo pocket. Would be nice for days I know I'd only be using split joycons / local mp.
Hattori
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:02 PM)
Hattori's Avatar
I just got the AmFilm, not 100% coverage (dimensions are off a bit) but it does the job and installation is a breeze.
iRAWRasaurus
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:21 AM)
iRAWRasaurus's Avatar
I ordered the AmFilm glass protector and it got here before my Orzly, which shipped out a long time ago. Used the hinge and steamy bathroom trick and have no bubbles or dust.

Was there a period of time I should wait before using my dock or am I thinking of something else.
Citizen K
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:28 AM)
Citizen K's Avatar

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

I ordered the AmFilm glass protector and it got here before my Orzly, which shipped out a long time ago. Used the hinge and steamy bathroom trick and have no bubbles or dust.

Was there a period of time I should wait before using my dock or am I thinking of something else.


I got the orzly and it's recommend to wait a few hours at least. Did mine at night so after work the next day it was all good
Yaranaika
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:28 AM)
Yaranaika's Avatar
So I messaged TechMatte, the company that makes the amFilm tempered glass for the Switch, in an attempt to get one shipped to Canada from amazon.com. Obviously I am unable to checkout ("Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.") ...but they claim to ship to Canada through amazon.com.

Originally Posted by email

We are sorry to hear this, --Yaranaika--, and we just run a test to order this item and ship to Canada without any issue. Perhaps there was a system glitch earlier, would you be kindly giving it another try? Please do leave your phone number and follow the direction on the order page via our US site. Here is the order link for your reference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

Pretty sure nobody outside of the US can order these, but why do they claim that they can ship them? I even tried a VPN. Anyone want to try to checkout to a random Toronto address because I think I'm going to just give up on this.
Last edited by Yaranaika; 03-20-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Yaari
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:32 AM)
Yaari's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yaranaika

So I messaged TechMatte, the company that makes the amFilm tempered glass for the Switch, in an attempt to get one shipped to Canada from amazon.com. Obviously I am unable to checkout ("Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.") ...but they claim to ship to Canada through amazon.com.



Pretty sure nobody outside of the US can order these, but why do they claim that they can ship them? I even tried a VPN. Anyone want to try to checkout to a random Toronto address because I think I'm going to just give up on this.

I'm outside of the US too, cant order either.
WonkyPanda
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:33 AM)
WonkyPanda's Avatar
Does anyone have the RDS and the Sheikah slate? Are they very comparable in dimensions? Thanks!
HellBlazer
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:31 AM)
HellBlazer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yaranaika

Anyone want to try to checkout to a random Toronto address because I think I'm going to just give up on this.

On the item page: "This item does not ship to Montreal, Canada. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally." I can still add it to my cart, but I can't check out.

I guess I'll order an Orzly from Amazon.ca.
Lexxism
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:43 AM)
Lexxism's Avatar

Originally Posted by HellBlazer

I guess I'll order an Orzly from Amazon.ca.

Just buy it from Amazon.com. Cheaper and faster shipping.

Around C$12 with estimated delivery by next week.
Aokage
Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
(03-20-2017, 05:47 AM)
Aokage's Avatar
I don't know if this has been noted yet, but just in case anyone was wondering, the Sheikah Slate case from the US Master and Special Editions of Breath of the Wild, the PDP Sheikah Eye case, a US GameStop exclusive, the PDP Link's Tunic case, and presumably the PDP Mario "M" case are effectively the same product from a design and manufacturing perspective:



I guess Nintendo subcontracted the Master/Special Edition case to PDP...? The interior construction of all these cases is identical, only exterior details differ. Materials used are a match across the board, even the metal emblem zipper fobs. If you weren't able to snag a BotW Master/Special Edition, the Sheikah Eye case is arguably more aesthetically pleasing and widely available at US GameStops.
Last edited by Aokage; 03-20-2017 at 02:21 PM.
EndlessFloydian
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:53 AM)
EndlessFloydian's Avatar
Just applied my am protector a second time. Less crooked than my first application. Also no dust or dirt noticeable. There are a couple small bubbles around edges that I hope will disappear on their own soon.
lantus
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:00 AM)
lantus's Avatar
I got the amfilm glass protector just a couple days ago. I was initially irritated when I put it on when the a few bubbles just wouldn't go away. Then the next day all gone and looks perfect.
Kudo
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:35 PM)
Kudo's Avatar
Wish me luck, the ritual is about to begin.
Will edit this message with my failure/success, gathering all power before challenging the Major Test of Protector Applying.

Results: Huge bubble in the middle, sigh.
Last edited by Kudo; 03-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.
ScOULaris
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:51 PM)
ScOULaris's Avatar
Has anyone tried any of these dock socks from Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ActivePatch

On one hand I'd like to avoid using a screen protector if possible, but on the other I'm not sure whether or not something like this would actually help. I fear that these might trap dust that could potentially scratch the screen even more than the plastic rails inside the dock.
Mbrill82
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:20 PM)
Mbrill82's Avatar
Count me as another very satisfied amFilm screen protector customer. Application was easy and went on perfectly. Now I just have to wait for my Waterfield case to come next week.

Once I find a small form factor USB C charger that can change while I play I'll be all set.
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(03-20-2017, 04:46 PM)
nicoga3000's Avatar
Anyone got a suggestion for something to travel with in the US that I can get before Sunday? I am flying and want to bring my Switch, but I can't find ANYTHING near me and I have no idea how to travel with this otherwise.
TankRizzo
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:50 PM)
TankRizzo's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

Anyone got a suggestion for something to travel with in the US that I can get before Sunday? I am flying and want to bring my Switch, but I can't find ANYTHING near me and I have no idea how to travel with this otherwise.

if you're in a pickle, I suggest maybe a netbook or tablet sleeve for the mean time.
Snowballo
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:15 PM)
Snowballo's Avatar
Long post but with pictures! :D
A few questions:

1. Is this Hori Screen Protector (Japan), the same as this one (Us)

2. On Playasia I see that Hori offers a few different screen protectors. What is the difference between those? I know one is tempered glass, but the others?

http://www.play-asia.com/extra-hard-...itch/13/70aw4x

http://www.play-asia.com/pitahari-sc...itch/13/70aw4t

http://www.play-asia.com/blue-light-...itch/13/70aw4v

http://www.play-asia.com/screen-prot...itch/13/70aw53


3. Does this stand worth its money? Any experience?

4. I'm looking for something similar to PSP and PS Vita soft pouch. It was included with PSP and it is available just in Japan for PS Vita. Do you think this one could be a good choice?

http://www.play-asia.com/soft-pouch-...lack/13/70avyp

TankRizzo
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:19 PM)
TankRizzo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snowballo

Long post but with pictures! :D
A few questions:

1. Is this Hori Screen Protector (Japan), the same as this one (Us)



2. On Playasia I see that Hori offers a few different screen protectors. What is the difference between those? I know one is tempered glass, but the others?

http://www.play-asia.com/extra-hard-...itch/13/70aw4x

http://www.play-asia.com/pitahari-sc...itch/13/70aw4t

http://www.play-asia.com/blue-light-...itch/13/70aw4v

http://www.play-asia.com/screen-prot...itch/13/70aw53




3. Does this stand worth its money? Any experience?



4. I'm looking for something similar to PSP and PS Vita soft pouch. It was included with PSP and it is available just in Japan for PS Vita. Do you think this one could be a good choice?

http://www.play-asia.com/soft-pouch-...lack/13/70avyp

I bought an official Wii U gamepad stand on amazon for $5. Consensus on the googles is that it's one of the best.
Snowballo
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:48 PM)
Snowballo's Avatar

Originally Posted by TankRizzo

I bought an official Wii U gamepad stand on amazon for $5. Consensus on the googles is that it's one of the best.

Would you link me please?
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(03-20-2017, 05:57 PM)
nicoga3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by TankRizzo

if you're in a pickle, I suggest maybe a netbook or tablet sleeve for the mean time.

That's a smart idea, thanks. I'll check Amazon Prime for a simple solution for now.
Aokage
Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
(03-20-2017, 06:02 PM)
Aokage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snowballo

Long post but with pictures! :D
A few questions:

1. Is this Hori Screen Protector (Japan), the same as this one (Us)

Probably. That's the Japanese "standard type."

Originally Posted by Snowballo

2. On Playasia I see that Hori offers a few different screen protectors. What is the difference between those? I know one is tempered glass, but the others?

http://www.play-asia.com/extra-hard-...itch/13/70aw4x

http://www.play-asia.com/pitahari-sc...itch/13/70aw4t

http://www.play-asia.com/blue-light-...itch/13/70aw4v

http://www.play-asia.com/screen-prot...itch/13/70aw53

From top to bottom:

- "Extra hard", which is still plastic, not glass Hori doesn't offer a glass protector.
- Anti-fingerprint. Ostensibly super-duper oleophobic...?
- Blue light filter. There are all sorts of theories about why blue light is bad business and can affect sleep. Hori claims it's "easy on the eyes!".
- Standard.

All of these scream gimmick to me. After using a tempered glass protector... there's just no going back, IMO.
tebunker
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:05 PM)
tebunker's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

That's a smart idea, thanks. I'll check Amazon Prime for a simple solution for now.

have you looked in this thread yet?

I have a slick looking laptop/tablet sleeve that looks to be able to do everything I need coming in today. I will post some pics tonight. I expect it to be good.
TankRizzo
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:30 PM)
TankRizzo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snowballo

Would you link me please?

https://www.amazon.com/Wii-GamePad-S...+gamepad+stand
Mdk7
Sequel dreams killed
by Graham Hopper
(03-20-2017, 06:36 PM)
Mdk7's Avatar
The Orzly tempered glass screen protectors are good.
Like really, really good.
Very happy with my purchase.
EroticSushi
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:16 PM)
EroticSushi's Avatar
Has anyone in the US gotten their Orzly Glass protector yet? And if so when did they mark it as shipped? I still haven't gotten mine and they claimed it shipped out on Feb 20th. It's obvious that they only marked it as such so that Amazon doesn't cancel the order.
iRAWRasaurus
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:19 PM)
iRAWRasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by EroticSushi

Has anyone in the US gotten their Orzly Glass protector yet? And if so when did they mark it as shipped? I still haven't gotten mine and they claimed it shipped out on Feb 20th. It's obvious that they only marked it as such so that Amazon doesn't cancel the order.

same shipped date and still noting. I request to cancel the order and get a refund.
Ocho
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
Ocho's Avatar

Originally Posted by ScOULaris

Has anyone tried any of these dock socks from Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ActivePatch

On one hand I'd like to avoid using a screen protector if possible, but on the other I'm not sure whether or not something like this would actually help. I fear that these might trap dust that could potentially scratch the screen even more than the plastic rails inside the dock.

I bought the Zelda one from this seller and it's incredible.
BobbyColtrane
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:24 PM)
BobbyColtrane's Avatar
+1 for the AmFilm screen protector, and this coming from someone who HATES screen protectors.

I used the steamy bathroom/hinge method and it went on PERFECTLY.
IMACOMPUTA
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:30 PM)
IMACOMPUTA's Avatar
Yes the amfilm tempered glass protector is the first time I've ever felt like I improved a device with a screen protector. No more sticky plastic screen. Smooth glass feels way better.

I did a terrible job of putting it on, peeled it off and got it perfect the second try. It's incredible.
Vitacat
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:07 PM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by WonkyPanda

Does anyone have the RDS and the Sheikah slate? Are they very comparable in dimensions? Thanks!

I have both. They are very similar in size.
tebunker
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:04 AM)
tebunker's Avatar
So this isn't going to be for everyone, but http://imgur.com/a/knFwo


It is mildly padded, but is nice because it can hold two sets of joycons and straps, pro con, my charger and ten foot cable. It also slides in to my back pack that holds my laptop.

Going to keep playing around with the configuration since I have a ton of space in the center.

I like the versatility of it though.

No Complaints for ~$15

I am also going to get a hard case later on once I see more of them take the abuse, and will get one that can hold the dock too so I can use it for more extensive trips.

Here is the Charger I got in case you are in the market.

Cable too.

Finally going to install the amFilm tonight! Woo.
chargin' chuck
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 12:33 AM)
chargin' chuck's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane

+1 for the AmFilm screen protector, and this coming from someone who HATES screen protectors.

I used the steamy bathroom/hinge method and it went on PERFECTLY.

The amFilm screen protector application went super-smooth for me, too! Hit it up with the wet/dry wipes, no steam required, and it's 100% perfect. Can't even tell that there's a protector on my Switch. Glad I installed it five days into ownership - didn't like having electrical tape both sides my Dock to prevent scratches.
SomewhatGroovy
(03-21-2017, 12:40 AM)
SomewhatGroovy's Avatar
Just wasted my time with my FOURTH AMFilm tempered glass screen protector. This shit just will not fucking stick. Steamy bathroom makes it worse as it dampens the screen and the adhesive wont even touch it. Anytime I try to reapply, that's it. Adhesive in corners are gone.

What a colossal waste of $11 and time (they sent me a replacement).
tebunker
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:05 AM)
tebunker's Avatar

Originally Posted by SomewhatGroovy

Just wasted my time with my FOURTH AMFilm tempered glass screen protector. This shit just will not fucking stick. Steamy bathroom makes it worse as it dampens the screen and the adhesive wont even touch it. Anytime I try to reapply, that's it. Adhesive in corners are gone.

What a colossal waste of $11 and time (they sent me a replacement).

Just a question but after the second time of not sticking with a steamy bathroom why would you keep trying? Why not take a chance with a spec of dust? I am confused
FuttBuck
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:38 AM)
FuttBuck's Avatar
I did 2 things to fix my Dock which was slightly bent. I used double sided tape and really thin black microfiber cloth that I cut (as a user showed before in here) and put that onto the front of the switch dock where scratches could happen. Then over the next 36 hours I used a book to stretch the dock apart a bit and started using it today, dear god how much of a difference! Not only are there no smudges or anything now (I have gorilla glass as well) but it slides in and out like butter.

Recommend this for everyone!
Vitacat
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:07 AM)
Vitacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by SomewhatGroovy

Just wasted my time with my FOURTH AMFilm tempered glass screen protector. This shit just will not fucking stick. Steamy bathroom makes it worse as it dampens the screen and the adhesive wont even touch it. Anytime I try to reapply, that's it. Adhesive in corners are gone.

What a colossal waste of $11 and time (they sent me a replacement).

I've installed dozens of screen protectors over several decades. These amFilms are among the very best I've used. I installed one perfectly the very first time on my Switch, and I mean perfect with no dust, hairs, bubbles or imperfections whatsoever. You can't even tell there's a protector on, just looks like the Switch has a really nice glass screen instead of a cheap plastic screen.

So, it's not the amFilm. You're doing something wrong.

First of all, sounds like you're steaming the bathroom, but not allowing enough time for the steam to dissipate. You don't do the installation if there is any moisture in the air. That defeats the entire purpose of the steamy bathroom technique -- to remove particles from the air and bring them to the ground. You're supposed to wait (usually 15 - 20 minutes) for the steam to be completely cleared up.

I also recommend closing any AC vents, and any doors before and during installation. Wearing a dust mask that covers nose and mouth, and a shower cap or other hair cover is also highly recommended. Hands should be very clean. Also recommend using the hinge technique to place the amFilm BEFORE removing the plastic backing, then clean the plastic backing (yes, seriously, because residue on the backing can fall onto the Switch screen and end up under the amFilm), then clean the Switch screen. Then remove the plastic backing and guide the amFilm down carefully while ONLY touching the 2 tabs on either side. Then gently tap the center and watch the amFilm spread across the screen. Use the card to gently push out any bubbles BEFORE removing the top plastic with the 2 tabs. If good technique is used and all goes well, you should get a very good if not perfect application.
Last edited by Vitacat; 03-21-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Piggus
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:46 AM)
Piggus's Avatar
My Orzly glass screen protector finally arrived, and it was definitely worth the wait. For anyone who ordered it, I suggest using the two dust stickers to do the "hinge" method. That's generally the standard way to put on a glass screen protector and it will save you a lot of time and hassle.



It looks way better and less visible in person than it does in a picture. Most people probably wouldn't even know it's there.
Last edited by Piggus; 03-21-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Padinn
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:57 AM)
I got my orzly today and have it installed. My first try didn't go so well. Second one is much better. Very happy with the product overall.
SomewhatGroovy
(03-21-2017, 03:13 AM)
SomewhatGroovy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vitacat

snip.

Thanks. I've never had any problem installing protectors on my numerous smartphones myself but never used steam method before.. I will try once more. Will let steam settle next time.

Originally Posted by tebunker

Just a question but after the second time of not sticking with a steamy bathroom why would you keep trying? Why not take a chance with a spec of dust? I am confused

Let me put it this way: I pick up and clean my home before every gaming session.
ArcLyte
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:16 AM)
ArcLyte's Avatar


Keeping it classy with this Switch carry pouch from Waterfield.

Thread Tools