• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Bony Manifesto
(03-15-2017, 09:45 PM)

Originally Posted by bomblord1

So it has 4 A53's? What are they used for?

Security stuff maybe?
DNAbro

Originally Posted by Malakai

Then why is the Switch $300 USD? What an embarrassing day to be a Nintendo fan...

HD rumble bruh
SinCityAssassin
So I guess Nvidia has to confirm where those 5 man centuries of work come in.

Then why is the Switch $300 USD? What an embarrassing day to be a Nintendo fan...

???
Spirited
Mine is pretty and pink
Nothing custom about it even though nvidia called it custom? what?
molnizzle
(03-15-2017, 09:46 PM)

Because us early adopters will pay for it.

I bet you'll see holiday Switch bundles for $249.
Kolx

Originally Posted by 13ruce

So inbetween Ps3 and Xbone? Not bad.
Fine enough for me.

Closer to which tho?
hanspampel
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchedThunder

Does this actually confirm that there is zero customization though?

yes
identical layout to regular tegra x1 = no customization

maybe a metal respin or something minor "custom"
2+2=5
The Amiga Brotherhood

Originally Posted by RootCause

Well it looks like it didn't get any secret sauce. It's still a pretty darn good chip.

LordOcidax

Originally Posted by Bony Manifesto

Security stuff maybe?

Or OS stuff maybe?
Hermii

Originally Posted by dampflokfreund

If you think about it. Nvidia just blatantly lied. It is in no way customized.

It still has to be customized, maybe it's just not visible in the die shot. Something minor.
udivision
Remember the rumors about Nvidia screwing up and having to give Nintendo a cutting edge chip for cheap to compensate for their production mistake? Or was that still during the AMD NX days...
franklyshankly

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Because there's more to the price than the processor? It is a tablet after all..

But it's "totally not a tablet" and no one should expect any tablet features from it...

Originally Posted by RAIDEN1

So what does this mean in terms of context of the console's power next to the PS3, X360/One and PS4?

I guess assuming DF got those clock speeds right it just confirms exactly what everyone was thinking before.
frankie_baby

Originally Posted by Jonnax

I remember an article about Nvidia fabricating a lot of X1s that they couldn't subsequently sell.

Maybe it got Nintendo a good deal

They are recently fabbed chips though (that particular one is from octobe)
Timeaisis
(03-15-2017, 09:47 PM)
So it's like super duper confirmed now, huh.
Jonneh3003
Banned

Originally Posted by franklyshankly

But it's "totally not a tablet" and no one should expect any tablet features from it...

What are you talking about?

I think we should get a clear definition of what a tablet is, it isn't just something that runs either IOS or Android, to my knowledge tablet is a form factor.
Gotdatmoney
If it's just off the shelf parts then the price is coming down quicker at least.
Bony Manifesto

Originally Posted by LordOcidax

Or OS stuff maybe?

Yeah, I suppose background stuff in general.
NOLA_Gaffer

Originally Posted by Hermii

Holy shit it's here

http://techinsights.com/about-techin...itch-teardown/
So I guess it's officially a tx1 :(

Wait, why the frowny face?
SinCityAssassin
(03-15-2017, 09:48 PM)
500 Manyears of OS support.
guek
Banned

Originally Posted by udivision

Remember the rumors about Nvidia screwing up and having to give Nintendo a cutting edge chip for cheap to compensate for their production mistake? Or was that still during the AMD NX days...

That wasn't a rumor as much as it was speculation based Nvidia having a stock surplus
-Mutsukki-

If you put that price logic like that no one would ever buy a PS4 because computers GPUs are most cost efficient. It's not just the processor that makes the price
nubbe
Next firmware update will activate the secret cores
believe
robotvendingmachine
Great news all around. The Switch is already selling good and when it drops to 249.99 it will sell better. 3rd parties will come because of install base.
wiibomb

Originally Posted by Lagspike_exe

What's the reason for not going with Pascal? I'm genuinely interested in an explanation.

nintendo as a conservative company has always preferred to used old and proven tech that already has vast use compared to newer tech than needs more experimentation to iron out, they are always more on the safer approach.
RAIDEN1
So Nintendo closed the gap somewhat compared to the systems already available but not by much...there was a time Nintendo consoles could stand toe-to-toe with the competition when it came to horsepower....all that now is but distant memory....

And with the issue being that as it is this hybrid console will barely last what 2 years before it becomes out-dated or 3rd party engines are incompatiable with it, how long before the Switch Scorpio or Switch Pro....? By that time we'll probably be on PS6 and Xbox-Alpha..
Pestilence11
Nintendo likes to make a healthy profit right out of the gate. How is this surprising?
dampflokfreund
Banned
(03-15-2017, 09:49 PM)

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

Wait, what the frowny face?

People were expecting that the chip in the Switch was customized because, you now, Nvidia said so themselves.

Thank god I didn't bite and bought it at launch day. I would feel very betrayed right now.
Eolz
I'm more surprised by the fact that it has no customization at all, than it is a Tegra X1.
Disappointing from Nintendo and Nvidia.
frankie_baby

Originally Posted by Bony Manifesto

Yeah, I suppose background stuff in general.

Doesn't the BIGlittle architecture mean it can only use the different CPU cores at different times?
SinCityAssassin

So Nintendo closed the gap somewhat compared to the systems already available but not by much...there was a time Nintendo consoles could stand toe-to-toe with the competition when it came to horsepower....all that now is but distant memory....

Ya want some chewin' tobacco as you rock in your chair, old timer?
-Mutsukki-

Yeah, never helped them either.
NOLA_Gaffer
(03-15-2017, 09:50 PM)

Nintendo competing on a power level doesn't make a whole lot of sense these days.
franklyshankly

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

What are you talking about?

I think we should get a clear definition of what a tablet is, it isn't just something that runs either IOS or Android, to my knowledge tablet is a form factor.

I'm talking about the pages of threads of people downplaying the lack of apps and browser and other tablet features because the Switch is a gaming device and not a tablet, despite it clearly being a tablet as you mentioned. If it "being a tablet" adds a price premium to stock Tegra chips there should be more benefit.
finalflame
Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
Not surprising. The Nintendo getting a deal on leftover chips story made too much sense for it not to be true.
Hydrargyrus
Seems like all the leaks were correct (except the fan fiction thread about the foxcon leaks)
wildfire
Banned

So no "customizations"

Seems like Nvidia had so much Tegras that they went to Nintendo and said "Hey Nintendo we have this very powerful GPU for your new device". Nintendo just agreed. Nvidia laughing.

Nvidia laughing?

Tegra has had a troubled sales history because they were late 3 times.

Nintendo got Tegra at bargain prices?
RootCause

Originally Posted by molnizzle

Because us early adopters will pay for it.

I bet you'll see holiday Switch bundles for $249.

There's also the screen, the battery, the joy-con, the dock. Honestly don't think it's an unfair price.

Originally Posted by 2+2=5

No probs. 😋
reelbigtink
This doesn't change a thing. Still a top notch handheld with Nintendo games.
Strakt

Not as embarrassing as your post
Garrett Hawke
Dunno why anyone ever doubted DF after they were right on Neo.
mavericktopgun
(03-15-2017, 09:51 PM)

Originally Posted by finalflame

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

The fuck?
LordOcidax
Did we have any dieshot of the TX1 inside the Shield?
guek
Banned

It's pretty obvious you don't actually grasp the difference between Parker and Maxwell
Jonneh3003
Banned

I'm talking about the pages of threads of people downplaying the lack of apps and browser and other tablet features because the Switch is a gaming device and not a tablet, despite it clearly being a tablet as you mentioned. If it "being a tablet" adds a price premium to stock Tegra chips there should be more benefit.

Ahhh gotcha, I misread the context of what you said aha
Malakai
Hello, please read this post and this post before bothering to respond to me.

Originally Posted by wiibomb

nintendo as a conservative company has always preferred to used old and proven tech that already has vast use compared to newer tech than needs more experimentation to iron out, they are always more on the safer approach.

That wasn't true for the Wii U's silicon or the any home console before the Wii. Nintendo went with the low power consumption options when it came to their handhelds before the 3DS.
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!

And with the issue being that as it is this hybrid console will barely last what 2 years before it becomes out-dated or 3rd party engines are incompatiable with it, how long before the Switch Scorpio or Switch Pro....? By that time we'll probably be on PS6 and Xbox-Alpha..

How much of an impediment was any of that shit for the 3DS?
Lonely1
My simple take:

Wii U x 1.25, 12 x Vita while portable.
XBOne x 0.5 while docked.

I was hoping for some for some memory optimizations. Oh well, still a gen ahead of Vita while portable. But I'm not paying $10K MXN :( .
NOLA_Gaffer
(03-15-2017, 09:52 PM)

People were expecting that the chip in the Switch was customized because, you now, Nvidia said so themselves.

Thank god I didn't bite and bought it at launch day. I would feel very betrayed right now.

Not buying a console for the processor under the hood seems really weird. The games matter more than what it's running on.
Garrett Hawke
(03-15-2017, 09:52 PM)

Troll post?