• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Agent Gibbs
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:17 PM)
Agent Gibbs's Avatar

Originally Posted by matrix-cat

Come on, man. Three times larger than an area we needed a ship to get around; are they going to give us an ancient Egyptian helicopter to get traverse this gigantic playable space?

Probably rip off breath of the wild and give us paragliders with paraglider battles
_Rob_
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:18 PM)
_Rob_'s Avatar
If the desert was treated like the sea, and therefore the actual "playable" land mass was smaller (closer to AC2's) I could see it working. How you'd traverse vast spans of empty desert efficiently and in a fun way is a whole other question though.
CopperPuppy
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:19 PM)
CopperPuppy's Avatar
Pretty sure that's straight from last year's leak.
Heshinsi
"playing" dumb? unpossible
(03-20-2017, 05:19 PM)
Heshinsi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cyto

I hope we play as Adéwalé

A character from the 18th century, in ancient Egypt? Is time travelling a thing in these games now? Lol

I remember playing the first Assassin's Creed and calling my mom over as I scaled the Dome of the Rock.

"Mom, do you know what this is?"

Al Aqsa?

"Yeah, isn't it cool that I'm climbing it?!"

She wasn't impressed hehe.

If they have Alexandria in this new game, I'm going to show my dad and ask him, "hey, is this alley where you used to play as a kid?"
Last edited by Heshinsi; 03-20-2017 at 05:21 PM.
The Silver
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:20 PM)
The Silver's Avatar
Not looking forward to a massive desert, Black Flag was fun cause you had a pirate ship and could do pirate things in it's open world.
Valar Morghulis
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:20 PM)
Valar Morghulis's Avatar
Black Flag team, both good and bad with that. The bad being the ridiculous amount of tailing missions and the world was a little big, the good, everything else. But the tailing missions almost killed the game for me, the main missions really suffered because of them.
K' Dash
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:22 PM)
K' Dash's Avatar
Ubi, please give a current gen Pirate game before you kill the IP, PLEEEEEASE! :(
The Illiterati
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:24 PM)
The Illiterati's Avatar
We should be able to spear sandworms like the whales from Black Flag, and ride them around. Don't tell me these didn't exist back then.
murgo
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:25 PM)
murgo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heshinsi

A character from the 18th century, in ancient Egypt? Is time travelling a thing in these games now? Lol

xD

Black Flag was awesome. Can't wait to hear more about this.
UrbanRats
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:33 PM)
UrbanRats's Avatar

Originally Posted by rockman zx

1) The Caribbean Sea, from Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag
2) The North Atlantic Sea, from Assassin's Creed Rogue
3) The River Valley, from Assassin's Creed Rogue
4) London, from Assassin's Creed Syndicate
5) Paris, from Assassin's Creed Unity
6) The Frontier, from Assassin's Creed 3
7) Rome, from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
8) Constantinople, from Assassin's Creed Revelations
9) New York City, from Assassin's Creed 3
10) Boston, from Assassin's Creed 3
11) San Gimignano, from Assassin's Creed 2
12) De Bayou, from Assassin's Creed Liberations
13) Kingston, from Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
14) Venice, from Assassin's Creed 2
15) Homestead, from Assassin's Creed 3
16) Florence, from Assassin's Creed 2
17) Havana, from Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
18) Forli, from Assassin's Creed 2
19) Monteriggioni, from Assassin's Creed 2
20) Damascus, from Assassin's Creed
21) Jerusalem, from Assassin's Creed
22) Acre, from Assassin's Creed
23) Atlas Village, from Assassin's Creed Revelations
24) Masyaf, from Assassin's Creed Revelations

By Senningiri_GR from the Ubi Forums.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...parisons/page9

Thanks, that looks indeed massive, especially if they can't cover it all in water like Blackflag.

Originally Posted by joms5

Yes and i'm sure that's a good use of a player's time. Fetch quests are padding, and they're not absent from criticism just because it comes from a Zelda game.

But we're not discussing that. We're talking AC here, which has been rampant with barren open worlds and meaningless side content in the past. I'm hoping they do away with that stuff and put something of substance in this vast open world of theirs.

Touchy.

I didn't say they were, i'm saying you should look at the whole picture, Zelda is getting 10s across the board, people calling it the best game ever made, and it has a massive open world with plenty of empty space and fetch quests and collectibles and towers and all the shit people are supposed to hate.
It's all in the execution, and i don't expect an Assassin's Creed to set the world on fire like Zelda did, for sure, but Syndicate already found ways to make much better use of its spaces, with more open ended missions you could play around in more.

The point is that "substance" is always used in very vague terms when shitting on open worlds, and it's not very clear what "substance" is, since i personally enjoyed the side missions in Syndicate, with the improved stealth mechanics and more open design to missions.
For other people anything other than a main story mission is "pointless filler" though.

Even Witcher has more side activities being "go here and use Witcher sense" but holistically the game works just fine, because of the writing, because of the balance and pace of said activities, etc.

I think the AC series has plenty of stinkers (probably more than good games) in its roster, but "big world" isn't the problem, and i think knee jerk reactions about that line, are missing the point of why some open world works, and some don't.

Originally Posted by K' Dash

Ubi, please give a current gen Pirate game before you kill the IP, PLEEEEEASE! :(

AC4 is on PS4.
xrnzaaas
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:41 PM)
xrnzaaas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis

Black Flag team, both good and bad with that. The bad being the ridiculous amount of tailing missions and the world was a little big, the good, everything else. But the tailing missions almost killed the game for me, the main missions really suffered because of them.

Yep the tailing missions were a chore, but I think Ubi got the message because no other AC game had a problem with having too many of them.
SuperEpicMan
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:44 PM)
SuperEpicMan's Avatar
People have no imagination lol, imagine travelling through the desert and seeing the pyramids and cities forming in the distance, coupled with a day and night mechanic, arriving at Giza as the sun is dawning. I can imagine it being pretty majestic.

SomTervo
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:48 PM)
SomTervo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jumeira

I do hope they put effort into focused sidequest and contextually driven meaningful tasks.

Like Watch Dogs 2? Yeah, it's great.
DylanEno
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:55 PM)
DylanEno's Avatar
Even if the wording of that bullet point is hilarious and shouldn't need to be stated, it's nice to know we'll be getting more protagonists of color.

...not that I'll be playing another ass creed, especially after breath of the Wild.
Soul of the Beast
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:55 PM)
Soul of the Beast's Avatar
Can you imagine open world camel riding in a map 3 times bigger than Black Flag...kill me now

I like the sound of it overall, especially that desert mirage part.
SuperDowns
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:57 PM)
SuperDowns's Avatar
First off the world doesn't need to be 3 times larger than Black Flag. That instantly makes me shy away... Also there better be some over-arching narrative to these games or I'm donzo. This needs to be a proper Reboot and if it is Altair then that's a no go too.

I'll be approaching this with extreme caution.
Not
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:58 PM)
Not's Avatar

The Character has slightly darker skin than we have previously seen for a main character.

Maybe he'll be a quarter African so he can appropriate some weird offensive tribal weapons and culture a la Connor in AC3.
13ruce
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:59 PM)
13ruce's Avatar
Black Flag team? Hell yeah also Egypt? I love desert/pyramid settings.

Plz be gud.
WhiskerFrisker
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:00 PM)
WhiskerFrisker's Avatar

Originally Posted by EvB

Can't wait to climb to the stop of a pyramid, then leap of faith off it. Then fall down the side breaking every bone along the way

Hopefully they incorporate ragdoll physics.
Y2Kev
TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
(03-20-2017, 06:03 PM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
lol it's just becoming a punchline now. This open world is NINE THOUSAND SQUARE KILOJIGAMETERS
Loch Doun
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:05 PM)
Loch Doun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jumeira

Add some challenge with a stamina ring.

Oh God, NO!
BasilZero
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:05 PM)
BasilZero's Avatar
Yes!!!!

Gimme it now ;)

Been wanting a Egyptian AC

Wish/hope it has something to do with the female assassin who assassinated cleopatra mentioned from one of the earlier AC games.
The Dutch Slayer
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:07 PM)
The Dutch Slayer's Avatar
All good things in my mind :D
Loved BF and Egypt is one of my fav history setting :D
13ruce
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:07 PM)
13ruce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

lol it's just becoming a punchline now. This open world is NINE THOUSAND SQUARE KILOJIGAMETERS

If they make these huge worlds like how BotW and Gta 5, Red Dead Redemption. do it hell yeah if not:(

Because yeah don't want to explore huge empty worlds.
Conduit
Banned
(03-20-2017, 06:08 PM)

It's being developed by the team that brought us Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. (Ubisoft Montreal)

Good! Black Flag and 2 are best AssCreeds in whole franchise.
Loch Doun
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:08 PM)
Loch Doun's Avatar

Originally Posted by matrix-cat

Come on, man. Three times larger than an area we needed a ship to get around; are they going to give us an ancient Egyptian helicopter to get traverse this gigantic playable space?

If only there was a giant river in Egypt for that... I could say the name of it but I'm in denial.
sjay1994
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:09 PM)
sjay1994's Avatar

Originally Posted by 13ruce

If they make these huge worlds like how BotW and Gta 5, Red Dead Redemption. do it hell yeah if not:(

Because yeah don't want to explore huge empty worlds.

I mean I like RDR, but it and GTAV are empty as shit. At least horse riding is fun in RDR, moving around in GTA V is fucking intolerable and boring.
UrbanRats
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:11 PM)
UrbanRats's Avatar

Originally Posted by sjay1994

I mean I like RDR, but it and GTAV are empty as shit. At least horse riding is fun in RDR, moving around in GTA V is fucking intolerable and boring.

Wut? GTAV is filled with shit to a fault.
The map looks like a theme park, and driving around in GTAV is surely way better than riding on a horse in RDR.
ViciousDS
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:13 PM)
ViciousDS's Avatar

The world is over three times larger than that of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag.


Here is the thing.......Black Flag had a reason to be big.....we sailed the fucking seas.......a ship moved pretty fast


I can't stand giant ass worlds for the sake of giant ass worlds.


Let me guess.....weapons that break and a stamina wheel is going to be tacked in?
Darklor01
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:15 PM)
Darklor01's Avatar

Originally Posted by hotcyder

But Arabia isn't Africa

I live in America, and went to public school in the 80's and 90's. It's a miracle I know what a continent is!! Still... it's a magic carpet. Those can be found wherever we want them to thanks to suspension of disbelief :D
Forsaken82
(03-20-2017, 06:15 PM)
Forsaken82's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enricobandito

The second i read this, fatigue sinks in… No, the serie is done for. Move to something else.

Uhh... I guess Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Ghost Recon and Division don't exist in your world of Assassin's Creed Fatigue...
Contica
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:16 PM)
Three times bigger really isn't a selling point. That alone kills all interest I might have in it.
Boem
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:17 PM)
Boem's Avatar

Originally Posted by burgerdog

Three times larger!? How is that possible? It would be ridiculously big if they're counting all the water space + land.

There's a lot of desert in Egypt.
sjay1994
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:17 PM)
sjay1994's Avatar

Originally Posted by UrbanRats

Wut? GTAV is filled with shit to a fault.
The map looks like a theme park, and driving around in GTAV is surely way better than riding on a horse in RDR.

And thats why I hate it so much. The entire game is based on fire and forget mechanics. There is no sense of progress or flow as you move through the world. Every activity is meaningless and feels solely there to exist as content.

Even though the side missions have cutscenes, they are all incredibly restrictive, forcing the player to stick to a script, and any deviation from it = failure.

To me, GTAV is a thesis on everything wrong with open world games. Just a big world, with meaningless junk to do.

Say what you will about ubi games, but at least their activities have some form of meaningful movement of progression for the player. What do you get in GTA? Just money so you can buy a fucking car or a gun but the piss easy shooting mechanics make different guns straight up pointless.
RdN
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:19 PM)
RdN's Avatar
That world size is a weird one.

Black Flags was big because it was mainly in the ocean, so you were constantly travelling by boat, which was considerably fast.

Now, how would that translate to a world which should be mostly placed in a desert?
Baron_Calamity
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:23 PM)
Baron_Calamity's Avatar

Originally Posted by brickarts295

Damn I guess even Altair had an assassin ancestor XD
Guess this might be the origins of the actual Assassin's Creed.

Originally Posted by Trago

Not that historic accuracy really means anything to Ubisoft, but doesn't ancient Egypt predate the actual brotherhood of assassins?

The most logical point of entry would be the main character is the first human to interface with the Precursors and that started us down the road.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(03-20-2017, 06:24 PM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by RdN

That world size is a weird one.

Black Flags was big because it was mainly in the ocean, so you were constantly travelling by boat, which was considerably fast.

Now, how would that translate to a world which should be mostly placed in a desert?

You do realize that ancient Egypt had massive cities, and incredible architecture, and not just mostly desert, right?

Partially why I'm happy they're doing this era. Ubisoft always does the setting justice in Assassins Creed, so the world here might help alter the notion that Egypt was just camels, desert, pyramids, etc
ivhyn
Junior Member
(03-20-2017, 06:26 PM)
ivhyn's Avatar
This is probably the next best thing to an Assassins Creed China/Japan (do it Ubisoft), if it doesn't need 5 patches before it's playable I'll be excited for this franchise again.
Baron_Calamity
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:27 PM)
Baron_Calamity's Avatar

Originally Posted by RdN

That world size is a weird one.

Black Flags was big because it was mainly in the ocean, so you were constantly travelling by boat, which was considerably fast.

Now, how would that translate to a world which should be mostly placed in a desert?

Egypt is surrounded by water and it has the huge Nile River running through it. Plus all the major cities are right next to water.

SilentRob
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:27 PM)
SilentRob's Avatar
I'm not really sure what the "Ubisoft Montreal, who brought us Black Flag" comment means? I'm pretty sure Ubi Montreal developed all mainline Assassin's Creed games until Unity. Why point out Black Flag?
Hexa
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:28 PM)
Hexa's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

You do realize that ancient Egypt had massive cities, and incredible architecture, and not just mostly desert, right?

Partially why I'm happy they're doing this era. Ubisoft always does the setting justice in Assassins Creed, so the world here might help alter the notion that Egypt was just camels, desert, pyramids, etc

If it's 3x the size of Black Flag, then the majority of that will likely be empty space, which in this case means desert.

Edit: I guess if the map was pretty much centered only around the Nile it could be mostly water instead, but with that map the boating would be pretty boring imo.
Last edited by Hexa; 03-20-2017 at 06:31 PM.
rhandino
Banned
(03-20-2017, 06:30 PM)

- It's being developed by the team that brought us Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. (Ubisoft Montreal)

After Breath of the Wild I am dying to get lost in another digital world and Ubi already nailed that feeling with the Frontier of ACIII, Black Flag and Rogue

Here for this.

More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(03-20-2017, 06:31 PM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hexa

If it's 3x the size of Black Flag, then the majority of that will likely be empty space, which in this case means desert.

One doesn't correlate to the other
Possumowner
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:32 PM)
Possumowner's Avatar
Black Flag team has me optimistic,but not to big...Camels can only move so fast 😋
sjay1994
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:33 PM)
sjay1994's Avatar

Originally Posted by SilentRob

I'm not really sure what the "Ubisoft Montreal, who brought us Black Flag" comment means? I'm pretty sure Ubi Montreal developed all mainline Assassin's Creed games until Unity. Why point out Black Flag?

Because the assassins creed franchise has been fragmented with different leads, writters, composers, etc since Patrice left after Brotherhood

Alex Amancio- Revelations, Unity
Alex Hutchinson- AC3
Ashraf Ismail- AC4

Ubi Quebec- Syndicate

Honestly, I have a lot more faith in Ismail because he was originally a fan of the series, who ended up becoming a creative director. He also seems in tune with what fans want in these games (ex: bg music when exploring)
Hexa
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:37 PM)
Hexa's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

One doesn't correlate to the other

What else is the empty space going to be?
SilentRob
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:37 PM)
SilentRob's Avatar

Originally Posted by sjay1994

Because the assassins creed franchise has been fragmented with different leads, writters, composers, etc since Patrice left after Brotherhood

Alex Amancio- Revelations, Unity
Alex Hutchinson- AC3
Ashraf Ismail- AC4

Ubi Quebec- Syndicate

Honestly, I have a lot more faith in Ismail because he was originally a fan of the series, who ended up becoming a creative director. He also seems in tune with what fans want in these games (ex: bg music when exploring)

Are we sure there are actually specific teams inside of Montreal or are those just different leads with ever changing and fluid teams? Honestly curious.
sjay1994
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:44 PM)
sjay1994's Avatar

Originally Posted by SilentRob

Are we sure there are actually specific teams inside of Montreal or are those just different leads with ever changing and fluid teams? Honestly curious.

Its fluid. From what I've understood how these games work are

1) A small team splits off coming up with the creative side (ex: the setting, the character, the gameplay mechanics ,etc)

2) The game enters prototyping with the team who split off (also other ubi studios across the world might collaborate on this step)

3)When a chunk of people finish the previous game, they work on the new one and it enters full production

So yes, I feel with how the AC development cycle is, the creative leads are the ones whom seem to have the most influence.

Its why when you look at them all, they all kinda emphasize different things.Like how we went from going from actual Native American Actors in 3, to authentic pirate slang in 4, to everyone is British in Unity.

Creatives in this series have more power, because of how fluid the dev team is.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(03-20-2017, 06:45 PM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hexa

What else is the empty space going to be?

That's your mistake. Your argument doesn't make sense

Black Flag had open/empty space
Empire is 3x as large
You conclude Empire will have 3x as much open/empty space

When multiple cities, more towns and settlements, ruins/temples/pyramids/etc. are just as likely and probable
dex3108
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

You do realize that ancient Egypt had massive cities, and incredible architecture, and not just mostly desert, right?

Partially why I'm happy they're doing this era. Ubisoft always does the setting justice in Assassins Creed, so the world here might help alter the notion that Egypt was just camels, desert, pyramids, etc

It helps when you show them pictures :D

Alexandria (Cleopatra era)



http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...alexandria-map

Temple of Amun-Ra in Karnak



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnak

For example this is how Memphis looked in movie Exodus


Thread Tools