• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Spirited
Mine is pretty and pink
(03-20-2017, 11:46 PM)
Spirited's Avatar

Originally Posted by ?oe?oe

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 numbers.

lol. Sarcasm?
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(03-20-2017, 11:47 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
I was eating at the airport in Atlanta yesterday and took out my Switch and played some Zelda for 20 minutes

after I put it away the guy sitting with his girlfriend at the next table said.

"I saw you put away your Switch. How do you like it?"

I said I'm really loving Zelda and very happy I could take it with me.

I think Nintendo did a great job if people are already this aware of what a Switch is.
Dark Cloud
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Spirited

lol. Sarcasm?

It's sarcasm because someone said they were expecting Splatoon to sell Wonderful 101 numbers when it was announced. More than one person might've said it.
Serenitynow
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:48 PM)
Serenitynow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Snipperclips is bundled with joy-cons and I suppose some people might want to Switch up their colour schemes:

Wait what?! Is this an NA thing? I so would have gotten a grey Switch and picked this up if that were the case.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(03-20-2017, 11:48 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spirited

lol. Sarcasm?

Of course it is, that's what was initially said about the first Splatoon
Spinifex
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:48 PM)
Spinifex's Avatar
Just wanted to echo some sentiments in this thread, I'm a PC gamer snob with a gtx1080 who formerly was playing Overwatch every day and I haven't touched it since the Switch came out. Zelda is GOAT.
Jonneh3003
Junior Member
(03-20-2017, 11:49 PM)
Jonneh3003's Avatar

Originally Posted by Serenitynow

Wait what?! Is this an NA thing? I so would have gotten a grey Switch and picked this up if that were the case.

Nope! Pretty sure it's worldwide:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joy-Con-Con...s=snipperclips
a916
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:49 PM)
a916's Avatar

“The Nintendo Switch is off to a start right now that it could possibly eclipse the Wii. Initial sales on this have been phenomenal. I can’t give straight numbers, but I can say we’re seeing one of the highest attach rates of software and accessories to a device that we’ve seen in a long time.”

That's a real strange thing to say THIS early.

And I'm not even surprised with the accessories thing either... when I bought a PS4, I didn't need anything else. When I traded in for a switch I had to grab a protector and the Pro controller...
Spirited
Mine is pretty and pink
(03-20-2017, 11:49 PM)
Spirited's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

It's sarcasm because someone said they were expecting Splatoon to sell Wonderful 101 numbers when it was announced. More than one person might've said it.

Ah, I never went into the splatoon threads before launch so I have no idea about such references. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Nope! Pretty sure it's worldwide:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joy-Con-Con...s=snipperclips

I thought it was a europe thing. Can't find it on amazon.com
Sizzel
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
Sizzel's Avatar
The better it does, the more money Nintendo has, the more money Nintendo has the more they can fund Metroid. Outsell all expectations please
Shaanyboi
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Snipperclips is bundled with joy-cons and I suppose some people might want to Switch up their colour schemes:

They fucked up by not putting out a pink/yellow joycon bundle with Snipperclips. I'd be all over that shit.
btrboyev
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
btrboyev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fracas

I really, really like the hardware. The plastic screen is dumb but the sheer flexibility of what this thing can do is so cool.

Hopefully Nintendo puts out quality games.

If you watched any drop tests for the hardware on concrete you would see why they went with a plastic screen. The screen doesn't crack. Would you rather put up with small scratches or a cracked screen? A screen protector will negate one of those, not the other.
shouamabane
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
shouamabane's Avatar
Obviously doomed.
M3d10n
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
M3d10n's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hattori

I'd rather they not do force bundles

Oh, they will.
Oregano
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
Oregano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

Konami laughing all the way to the bank and people said it was overpriced.

Yup, what's more is that everyone I've played Bomberman with has really enjoyed it.
RichiRamjag
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
RichiRamjag's Avatar

Originally Posted by ?oe?oe

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 numbers.

For splatoon? That's crazy.

Edit: ahh, sarcasm

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

I was eating at the airport in Atlanta yesterday and took out my Switch and played some Zelda for 20 minutes

after I put it away the guy sitting with his girlfriend at the next table said.

"I saw you put away your Switch. How do you like it?"

I said I'm really loving Zelda and very happy I could take it with me.

I think Nintendo did a great job if people are already this aware of what a Switch is.

My buddy (who regularly gives me a hard time about console gaming) was over at the GameStop the other day hoping to snatch up a switch. It definitely seems to appeal to a variety of people.
Last edited by RichiRamjag; 03-20-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Dark Cloud
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Sizzel

The better it does, the more money Nintendo has, the more money Nintendo has the more they can fund Metroid. Outsell all expectations please

I think Metroid is already being made and we'll see it at E3. Reggie said to talk to him about Metroid in a year from January.

Originally Posted by Spirited

Ah, I never went into the splatoon threads before launch so I have no idea about such references. Thanks!



I thought it was a europe thing. Can't find it on amazon.com

Yeah it was an interesting topic to say the least lol
HardRojo
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:52 PM)
HardRojo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sizzel

The better it does, the more money Nintendo has, the more money Nintendo has the more they can fund Metroid. Outsell all expectations please

I like the way you think.

Originally Posted by shouamabane

Obviously doomed.

Oh boy... these comments got old so fast.
Crayon
(03-20-2017, 11:53 PM)
Crayon's Avatar

Originally Posted by HardRojo

Oh come on, I don't want to ruin a positive thread since we all should celebrate the Switch doing fine despite its shortcomings, but if you bothered to read some impressions and reactions from that presentation it'd be clear why many people, myself included, were and still are very skeptical aboutthe Switch. I know for sure I won't be picking one up till next year and they're readily available here in Peru.

I was there. I was one of the people saying it's going to do great. I was surprised at the scale of the negative reaction.
Guymelef
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:53 PM)
Guymelef's Avatar
Every GameStop statement about new hardware always sounds like "our business is safe".
BitStyle
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:53 PM)
BitStyle's Avatar

Originally Posted by ?oe?oe

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 numbers.

Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(03-20-2017, 11:54 PM)
Vanillalite's Avatar
It says software AND accessories.

So I'm not surprised being the form factor it is they get to sell extra shit like cases, screen protectors, chargers, and the pro controller.

A lot of shit you don't need for a regular home console.
Jonneh3003
Junior Member
(03-20-2017, 11:54 PM)
Jonneh3003's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spirited


I thought it was a europe thing. Can't find it on amazon.com

Huh maybe so then, that's a shame.
Luigiv
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:54 PM)
Luigiv's Avatar

Originally Posted by BY2K

Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?

I haven't yet but I am planning to buy a second one. One to leave hooked up to the dock and one for my bedroom/to travel.
Plum
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:56 PM)
Plum's Avatar
It's too early to say much about the Switch's success, but it isn't too early to start preparing GAF's crow for when Christmas sales figures come out in 2018.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(03-20-2017, 11:56 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oregano

Yup, what's more is that everyone I've played Bomberman with has really enjoyed it.

Whatever you can say about Komani at the moment they sure know how to make money. They saw a gap in the market and made out like bandits.
Slime
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
Slime's Avatar
I'd love to join in on the party, but it's $400 in Canada :(
Mushroomer25
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
Mushroomer25's Avatar

Originally Posted by BY2K

Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?

Gamestop specifically held stock that was only sold as part of bundles, which contained cases/games/accessories/etc. So the high attatch rate could be largely artificial.
Dark Cloud
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Principate

Whatever you can say about Komani at the moment they sure know how to make money. They saw a gap in the market and made out like bandits.

I'm hoping they see all the money they've made and bring back other IPs...like Castlevania.
jts
...hate me...
(03-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
jts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nesther

Does the wall charger matter in that case? I have like 5 of those white Samsung USB wall chargers just laying around.

The wall charger can matter but those bricks being Samsung and USB-A means it should be fine.

However, if they are 5W bricks, which are the typical ones, they will charge the Switch slowly it's in sleeping mode or off, and may not charge it when playing, will just help it not to use the battery as fast.
Bluth54
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
Bluth54's Avatar

Originally Posted by BY2K

Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?

When I saw Nintendo only included one charger with the Switch I thought it was kinda an asshole move. Most people are going to plug that charger into the dock and depending on how your TV setup is it may be very inconvenient to unplug the power cable if you need to take it on the go. They really should of put 2 chargers in the box, one for taking the Switch on the go and one for the dock.
hydrophilic attack
(03-20-2017, 11:58 PM)
hydrophilic attack's Avatar
looks like nintendo is back maybe
silva1991
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:58 PM)
silva1991's Avatar
Eclipsing the WII? Obviously unlikely, but I'm glad it's doing great.
Bruce Springsteen
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:58 PM)
Bruce Springsteen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Zelda is the system seller but it isn't the only appealing game on the system. I just got me this beauty:

Fully playable in English too! The Switch eShop is killing it with FAST RMX, The Binding of Isaac (also got a retail release in America, I'm waiting for my import to arrive) and others like Blastermaster Zero.

Just Dance reaches a different audience and Bomberman is a feel good pick up and play game.

that Japanese game is driving sales?
HardRojo
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:58 PM)
HardRojo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crayon

I was there. I was one of the people saying it's going to do great. I was surprised at the scale of the negative reaction.

I won't list the reasons, someone probably already did but I won't keep pressing, it's really easy to see why the reception was somewhat lackluster in gaming sites. With that said, it's great to see the Switch doing fine after all but I still hope Nintendo irons out the weaker points of the console. I'll finally be trying the console for the first time this weekend it seems as a friend is getting it with Bomberman, the Switch game I'm currently most interested in.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(03-20-2017, 11:59 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Guymelef

Every GameStop statement about new hardware always sounds like "our business is safe".

Pretty much but I think Nintendo handeld doing well is of strategic importance. The Reliance on physical and the used market is particularly profitable for them so they'll push this like nobodies business.
Jonneh3003
Junior Member
(03-20-2017, 11:59 PM)
Jonneh3003's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bruce Springsteen

that Japanese game is driving sales?

No, I said Zelda is the system seller but there are other appealing games on the system, supplement games.
OrbitalBeard
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:59 PM)
OrbitalBeard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spirited

lol. Sarcasm?

Pour your favorite beverage and have a read.
lt519
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:01 AM)
lt519's Avatar
I bought an extra AC Adapter for longer business trips...
TRUE ORDER
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:01 AM)
TRUE ORDER's Avatar
I'll wait for real numbers before saying that it will "eclipse" the Wii.
Oregano
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:03 AM)
Oregano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

Whatever you can say about Komani at the moment they sure know how to make money. They saw a gap in the market and made out like bandits.

Yup, they're benefitting from no one else(third party wise) showing up for one.

Originally Posted by Bluth54

When I saw Nintendo only included one charger with the Switch I thought it was kinda an asshole move. Most people are going to plug that charger into the dock and depending on how your TV setup is it may be very inconvenient to unplug the power cable if you need to take it on the go. They really should of put 2 chargers in the box, one for taking the Switch on the go and one for the dock.

Jesus christ... expecting two chargers in the box.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(03-21-2017, 12:04 AM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by TRUE ORDER

I'll wait for real numbers before saying that it will "eclipse" the Wii.

We have a tough idea anyway Nintendo only shipped 2 million of these things and last reports were of 500k ish in the US. Can't imagine it's be much more sold which is why they're telling us of the attach ratio.
Nessus
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:05 AM)
Nessus's Avatar

Originally Posted by psychowave

How trustworthy are these statements? I mean, it's not like GameStop is going to be like "yeah this console we're selling right now isn't selling that well".

Yeah I always sense a slight air of desperation in GameStop's press releases. "Please come to our brick and mortar stores and buy this popular cool thing. And then maybe also buy a used game for $10 off the price of a new copy."
OrbitalBeard
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:05 AM)
OrbitalBeard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

We have a tough idea anyway Nintendo only shipped 2 million of these things and last reports were of 500k ish in the US. Can't imagine it's be much more sold which is why they're telling us of the attach ratio.

Hopefully someone can provide the link (I think I read it in a Media Create thread), but Nintendo is shipping 2.5 million this month, up 500k from their initial plans. And they'll sell every single one of them.
Son.Ralph.Funk
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by commish

What does "highest attach rate of software and accessories" mean? That people are buying a Switch as well as a game at a higher rate than they bought a PS4, for example, and a game? I mean... wouldn't that be obvious when playing Zelda is the only thing the Switch does..? What am I missing? Not hating on N's success. Just seems like a "well duh" kinda comment.

You're missing a lot evidently. There are lots of great games for the Switch. Keep your ignorant comments out of here.
Wagram
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:06 AM)
Wagram's Avatar
Eclipse the Wii. C'mon Gamestop.
Flying Toaster
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:07 AM)
Flying Toaster's Avatar
I see it doing well if it truly is the 3ds replacement.
Son.Ralph.Funk
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by SatoAilDarko

What game are people getting in droves after Zelda?

The only retail titles are Zelda, 1,2 Switch, Just Dance, Bomberman and Skylanders.

I'm really interested in what is being bought.

Isaac: Afterbirth is also in retail.
momshotdad
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:08 AM)
momshotdad's Avatar
Doomed
King_Moc
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:09 AM)
King_Moc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bluth54

When I saw Nintendo only included one charger with the Switch I thought it was kinda an asshole move. Most people are going to plug that charger into the dock and depending on how your TV setup is it may be very inconvenient to unplug the power cable if you need to take it on the go. They really should of put 2 chargers in the box, one for taking the Switch on the go and one for the dock.

They literally can't win with some people. Wtf.

Thread Tools