• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

DTKT

So, in other words... we don't really know when/if he might discontinue the current AII version? I guess I just want to know how long ill have with this incarnation of DayZ to know if ill get my monies worth.

Sorry, that was speculation on my end. I'm sure there is plenty of dev time left on the current version of DayZ.

Cutwolf

Trying really, really hard to like this game...it's not working.

There's nothing fun about a game that starts you with no weapons and then makes it insanely hard to find weapons, and if you aggro even one zombie, it'll chase you across the map.

I'm a new player, sure, but the model isn't working for me. You can't try and make a game really hard under the guise of realism when you haven't implemented full realism. For example, the zombies that climbed the ladder after me? If this were real life, I would have kicked them off the ladder.

Or if I don't have a weapon, I'd break a board off of a house.

So on and so forth.

The limitations on buildings you can enter + scarcity of loot makes it really hard for a beginner to want to keep playing.

JambiBum

If you delete the beta folder and launch icon, and put a copy of your original launch icon back in you can just reinstall te slightly older patch and be just fine.
This new update is supposed to fix the super zombies and clothes problem though. How would I reinstall the patch without installing the new one using six launcher?

Anyone know if the new 1.7.2.3 update from Six Launcher is just a roll back to 1.7.2?

It's pretty much a bugfix patch.

Changelog:
* [FIXED] Ghillie and skin removal on login ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/36666 )
* [FIXED] Arma X stuck on loading screen ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/36647 )
* [FIXED] AKS_74_kobra classname incorrectly named ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/36680 )
* [NEW] Server side performance tweaks and improvments
* [FIXED] Infected detect players from too far away (reduced by about 20%)
* [FIXED] Disconnect updates not being correctly applied (caused inventory issues)
* [FIXED] Bear traps not appearing for spawn (low spawn)

Doppelganger

Neo Member

There's nothing fun about a game that starts you with no weapons and then makes it insanely hard to find weapons, and if you aggro even one zombie, it'll chase you across the map.

I'm a new player, sure, but the model isn't working for me. You can't try and make a game really hard under the guise of realism when you haven't implemented full realism. For example, the zombies that climbed the ladder after me? If this were real life, I would have kicked them off the ladder.

So on and so forth.

The limitations on buildings you can enter + scarcity of loot makes it really hard for a beginner to want to keep playing.

A game can only be so "real", in the end, it's still just a game. Maybe in 10 years we'll be able to kick zombies off ladders and use any object in game as a weapon.

Mangotron

So on and so forth.

I had the same feelings about it that you do initially, and now I'm so massively overpowered/stocked that there isn't much to do but pvp. A few things that make it easier when you first start out.

Zombies: If you find a gun and ammo (usually the first one you have is a makarov), go inside a house. The zombies will walk slowly in there giving you an easy way to kill them/escape. You can also "cheat" them by aggroing them and then ESC -> Abort -> Disconnect -> then OK to spawn back in. You'll be in the same place but the zombies will be gone, if you do this too near loot it can get rid of that too however.

The Map: Pay attention to where it says you are when you first spawn. Use a 3rd party map like the one on DayZDB and use the roadsigns to get around. Try to hit up the highvalue barns and the grocery stores up north. Once you have a gun, you can risk the hospitals on the coast if you really need the stuff, but people do camp the shit out of them.

The learning curve on this game is like 90 degrees straight up, but it's not long. Once you play a couple lives it's really not hard at all.

Cutwolf

I had the same feelings about it that you do initially, and now I'm so massively overpowered/stocked that there isn't much to do but pvp. A few things that make it easier when you first start out.

Zombies: If you find a gun and ammo (usually the first one you have is a makarov), go inside a house. The zombies will walk slowly in there giving you an easy way to kill them/escape. You can also "cheat" them by aggroing them and then ESC -> Abort -> Disconnect -> then OK to spawn back in. You'll be in the same place but the zombies will be gone, if you do this too near loot it can get rid of that too however.

The Map: Pay attention to where it says you are when you first spawn. Use a 3rd party map like the one on DayZDB and use the roadsigns to get around. Try to hit up the highvalue barns and the grocery stores up north. Once you have a gun, you can risk the hospitals on the coast if you really need the stuff, but people do camp the shit out of them.

The learning curve on this game is like 90 degrees straight up, but it's not long. Once you play a couple lives it's really not hard at all.

Well, I finally found myself a weapon. M4A1. Then I updated to the new patch and it's gone.

Weee.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can keep at it.

Doppelganger

Neo Member
You can also "cheat" them by aggroing them and then ESC -> Abort -> Disconnect -> then OK to spawn back in. You'll be in the same place but the zombies will be gone, if you do this too near loot it can get rid of that too however.

You're only cheating yourself by doing this. Play the game the way it's meant to be played and you'll get more enjoyment out of it.

Cutwolf

A game can only be so "real", in the end, it's still just a game. Maybe in 10 years we'll be able to kick zombies off ladders and use any object in game as a weapon.

Certainly. Not disagreeing with that. But until then, it seems more frustrating than fun to make everything else super real (bleeding, broken bones, seeing you, non stop chasing you, very limited life, etc) when it can't go all the way.

I'll give it a few more days, see if I get the hang of it. It was a lot more fun for the time I did have a weapon (even a hatchet). Became more manageable.

HomShaBom

Banned
Fuck yeah. Got my first 3 murders. Ran into a group of 4 people. Killed 1, then had a shoot out in the woods and killed 2 more before the last got me. We all had shotguns. Felt like that scene towards the end of Bourne Identity.

doesn't go under 60 now

On DayZ!
npgVGR.gif

Freaked out on update after logging back in to find I was in the middle of nowhere, the screen going in and out of blackness! They fixed it quick though and its all good :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I got the combined arma 2 pack and am installing operation arrowhead. Will I have to install base 'arma 2' as well or will this install them both?

Ceebs

Have the big problems been fixed from whatever update got pushed out earlier today? Still on whatever version was out yesterday.

ZenVolta

I really hope they can figure out the Desync. Got in to a fire fight and then just fell over dead without hearing a shot or seeing anyone around. Felt pretty silly

legacyzero

Banned
Damn.. I havn't been on the server lately. I kinda got discouraged the last time I got nuked by a fucking hacker after days of 'progress'.

My backlog has me taken at the moment too. FUCK I need to get back on soon!

KillerAJD

Played Dayz for the first time tonight with a buddy. Played in US 38 and had a lot of fun. Most of it was trying to find each other, but when we found each other it was glorious! I thought I'd be more merciful, but I ended up killing two people <_< One was just crawling through some bushes near Elektro, and the other was warned not to follow me because I wasn't in the giving mood, and he didn't listen, haha. Sorry guys!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Two of us were at the fire station building at NW airstrip, saw a group of 6+ run into the last hanger, opened fire when they came out, took out a couple, then killed the zombie aggro. From there we moved up to the roof of the fire station and picked off 3-4 more as they tried to return fire.

I did end up dying but my buddy grabbed my DMR and made it out so I didn't lose it.

Arment

Just got this today with a couple friends. We rolled through the airfield and cherno and now we're heading north. Found some great shit our first run through. AK-74 and a M1911. This game is pretty fun.

ZenVolta

Do I need to uninstall 94945 bet patch before installing 94876?

Yeah youll need to downgrade the beta patch. Just got into your arma 2 arrowhead folder and look for The expansion folder. Then Delete the Beta folder and reinstall. Super simple

Wasnt it 20% off yesterday?

Wasnt that on the BI site?

Edit: Looks like a lot of desync was caused by servers not updating their @Hive file. 0.6.2.1 or newer is what server owners will need.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs

I'm a new player, sure, but the model isn't working for me.

For me, the best times I've had with this mod was when I first started (somewhere around the v1.5-1.6).

The loot, aggro systems seemed much better and you spawned with pistol+couple medical supplies.
I can imagine with the changes and current bugs, starting the mod now, you'll wonder what the fuss was all about.
I think it will probably be best to wait for a couple more patches so some of the annoying problems can be dealt with.

ZenVolta

Iv gotta say Im liking the new(er?) zombies. Seems like aggro isnt to high but its got this random "Oh shiii how did that guy see me" feel to it.

Erdem

Banned
What's better, AS50 or M107? Cause I've found both and I can't really carry around two 50.cal rifles :p

They are pretty much the same, they both kill with one shot. They both have different zoom levels. AS50 does much more damage on the paper though, so it may be better for taking out vehicles/helicopters.

They are pretty much the same, they both kill with one shot. They both have different zoom levels. AS50 does much more damage on the paper though, so it may be better for taking out vehicles/helicopters.

I've done some reading, they do the same ammount of damage but AS50 is much more accurate and can use both M107 and AS50 ammo. So I guess AS50 wins.
Also, with M107 zooming is done with the left mouse button, but with the AS50 you have to use numpad + and -

Cutwolf

As frustrating as the game has been, I find myself jonesing to play, especially since I've started finding weapons during my playthroughs.

Top Bottom