• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
Sonic taking itself seriously in the comics was good. I can definitely live with that. I'm okay with it going the Super Mario RPG route. What I don't want to see is it going the Paper Mario route. I'm sorry, but the Paper Mario games aren't good. The humour is not funny.

You have it completely backwards. Sonic should never be serious and dark and Paper mario is awesome

Amir0x

Banned
i will avoid an attempt at personal insulting here and simply say, in that case:

Crushed

I think my argument continues to hold up

Firestorm

Amir0x said:
i think "good" here is a modified standard based on how videogame comics are so bad, they often create a blackhole in time and space. So one that doesn't do that may be confused for quality, but, if you actually read genuinely good comics you would laugh yourself to death.

Of course, you hate Paper Mario so I suppose Sonic comics might be the inker equivalent of Perdido Street Station.

I meant good enough for a video game story. I'd read a real comic, but I don't feel like catching up on 500 issues of Spider-man or what have you. The story in the Sonic comics is above and beyond anything found in any current Sonic game.

Amir0x

Banned
Firestorm said:
I meant good enough for a video game story. I'd read a real comic, but I don't feel like catching up on 500 issues of Spider-man or what have you. The story in the Sonic comics is above and beyond anything found in any current Sonic game.

Fuck Spider-man. Spider-Man comics suck!

People still think cheesy marvel and dc superheroes are the only things that make comics -_-

Penguin

Firestorm said:

You don't always need to know what happened in the prior 545 issues of Spiderman.
Its like a TV show not every episode changes the status quo.

But yeah never read comics based on video games. I really don't know if want story beyond what's in the games.

Its like getting elements of a movie from a novelization.

Amir0x said:
Fuck Spider-man. Spider-Man comics suck!

People still think cheesy marvel and dc superheroes are the only things that make comics -_-

Don't worry.
Be happy.!
:D

Wollan

Game looks great. Sky rocketed to the top of my most wanted hand held titles.
Sonic Chronicles & Patapon brings the handheld future.

Amir0x said:
Well if he isn't saying it, I am. Sonic can't take itself seriously. That ain't wasting potential, that's avoiding a future filled with geeks legitimately concerned about Sonic and his furry friends continuity.

I think it's safe to say I have the best interest of everyone in mind here.

I'm not saying they should go overboard, but you don't want to see Bioware put together a nice little story for the game?

This is an RPG afterall. I'm not saying they should overdo it with the story and attempt to throw all this emotion in there as we know the game probably doesn't need that. I'd just like to see them create an interesting story around the game's world. I mean I enjoyed the story in the first megaman battle network game (which I know had nothing to do with bioware) but thats sorta what I'm getting at. A story more along those lines, but of course with a small bit of the bioware touch.

A sorta cool re-invention of Sonic and a nice story would further cap that off. Who knows it could even possibly lead to a next gen sonic RPG from Bioware :lol

loosus said:
That's because THEY ARE FOR KIDS, not you. Honestly, the fact that you call kids "dumb" over this shows your immaturity and inability to realize that just because you don't like something doesn't make someone else "dumb."

That... was my whole point, though. They are for kids and kids are dumb. I am older and wiser now, and I think G.I. Joe and He-Man are dumb. I didn't when I was a kid, however. Because I didn't know any better! Lots of kids don't know any better! But eventually they learn. Their tastes grow and evolve. That's the cycle of life, man.

I think you're trying way too hard to make an argument out of this. Are you a Transfan or something? Are you angry because I included one of your favorite shows when you were a kid on my list of "dumb stuff we used to like when we were kids but is total garbage now"?

Because that was my entire point. I said, practically the first sentence:

"We're not in Sonic's demographic anymore."

Which now you're screaming at me like it's some sort of revelation that I missed.

Amir0x

Banned
Penguin said:
Don't worry.
Be happy.!
:D

yes but in the name of my sanity i will quietly list a bunch of really great comics/graphic novels that are worth reading (I used to avoid comics too because of my own lack of education of the subject, what a mistake!):

Maus.jpg
240px-Persepolis-books1and2-covers.jpg
Watchmen.jpg

200px-Powers.jpg
250px-100Bullets_vol1.jpg
200px-Blankets.jpg
AnimalMan.jpg
Preacher.jpg
200px-Starman_modernage.jpg

*salutes*

Now back to discussion of Sonic and his shitty comics.

Gagaman

Sonic the Comic was badass because at least for the first few years, it was not just a comic but a sort of kids Sega magazine, with reviews, tips, a chart page, news and comic strips of not just Sonic but also Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Wonder Boy, Shinobi, Ecco, Sparkster, Decap Attack etc. It was one of the main reasons I grew up to be a Sega nutter, to be honest :lol

When STC died out in 2000 t some point I started collecting the American comics but soon gave up on it after stupid shit like Robotnik turning out to be a robot robotnik from another dimension (what?) and their excuse for how humans started suddenly popping up in the series from SA onwards, and all the stupid human/furrie war of the past backstory bollocks that made sure to pull it as far away from the Sonic I knew as possible.

Of course, I did miss out on what many archie sonic fans call "the glory days" so I suppose I can't really judge it on issues 65 onwards, where I started. I'd love to give 'Super Sonic Vs Hyper Knuckles', that has such an awesome cover.

Amir0x

Banned
Penguin said:
No Y: The Last Man or Walking Dead? :(

More of a superhero comics guy myself, but those are great as well.

May need to check out Powers.

I just didn't list everyone I liked. I enjoyed Y: The Last Man, although Brian K. Vaughan's habit of writing Yorick into a machine that constantly regurgitates endlessly shitty pop culture references started to annoy me later on.

Powers is really great, also contains the single best story arc I've ever read among superhero comics... one full issue, no text... you're wondering where it's going... suddenly, it all makes sense and you go "holy shit."

Also enjoyed:

517648E11RL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
413XXP0MS0L._AA240_.jpg
51VV3HXQTQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Rlan

I'll go right into super duper Sonic-nerd territory here, but the Sonic comic has come a LONG way since the shit like "Titan Tails". Ken Penders - the long time writer who seemingly lost his mind in the final years of his run - is gone, and in his place is Ian Flynn - aka an actual fan of the Sonic games and Sonic in general, who realises what readers actually want to see.

None of this Turbo Tails, Tommy Turtle, Many Hands shit that was clogging the drains for a good long while, no multiple writers anymore, it's just [for the most part] him.

They do preview pages for the recent issues, so I'll post some here. He's gotten rid of a LOT of characters who nobody gave a shit about, and makes the comic a whole lot more 'fun' in general. It doesn't take itself too seriously:

sth180_2.jpg

sth177_2.jpg

sth174_3.jpg

sth171_2.jpg

sth184_3.jpg

Firestorm

Some of those lines were good.

But I can't laugh because you said Turbo Tails sucked.
Turbo Tails did not suck.

Well, Turbo Tails was just their word for Super Tails right?

Banned
Having seen the pics of this game, I have to say I am pretty excited. Bioware can focus on a story and a combat system, and not on tech.

When I was younger I was a big fan of Sonic comics and I still are. Whenever I hit the comic shop I pick up an issue for my brother. Ami, you're completely missing the point as to why people like them, but whatever.

Banned
Rlan said:
I'll go right into super duper Sonic-nerd territory here, but the Sonic comic has come a LONG way since the shit like "Titan Tails". Ken Penders - the long time writer who seemingly lost his mind in the final years of his run - is gone, and in his place is Ian Flynn - aka an actual fan of the Sonic games and Sonic in general, who realises what readers actually want to see.
I didn't know they changed writers. I was wondering why the books felt so different.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Himuro said:
Sonic um..is a freedom fighter in the Genesis games. That's the entire theme and point. God you had shit taste as a kid.

I don't remember Sonic being part of some lame Freedom Fighting group in the games. It was just Sonic himself (and later 2 allies) saving animals and beating the crap out of Robotnick. But it doesn't matter, at least both shows were better than what came out after it. But, I digress.

I like the style of this game at least. I'm still wondering how the gameplay mechanic will work though, hopefully the game will be shown off more later

ethelred

Okay, having gone through and read the full article, I think the original poster did a very nice job. But here's some additional info that stood out to me:

• they say there are people who won't be happy that this isn't going to provide the absolute fastest Sonic experience, as it's an RPG. But they say there are other Sonic games that do that, and their interest here is to still incorporate speed wherever it makes sense; they say it's really a combination of both BioWare and Sonic and they want to please fans of both.
• they joked that they're looking to raise Big's IQ a few points
• unlike most 2D RPGs, which use tile-based patterns for the environments, Sonic Chronicles' backgrounds are drawn entirely by hand. They did this because they wanted to try to bring back the series' "classic style."
• shoes will be a big part of Sonic's equipment that you purchase via rings at shops. Examples given are shoes that increase his speed, or give him fire attacks.
• the reason they have battle actions happen after you select actions for all party members is to give the battles a greater sense of speed as everything plays out. some characters will be able to perform multiple actions in a round, leading to "impressively frenetic battle sequences."
• again, the idea with the battles is, you have strategic thinking by turn-based input, but it will be "presented very quickly." "You see Sonic moving the way he should be moving."
• the reason they added real time active elements to the turn-based system is to keep the player engaged. They stated that Final Fantasy, even with its "speculator animations," disengages the play because there's no interaction.
• as you improve your characters, you get new field map abilities as well as battle moves. This will allow you to access new areas on the maps. It will encourage you not just to stick to your favorite characters; each one has unique abilities to offer.
• they don't just want to use preexisting Sonic story stuff. They want to leave the BioWare mark by creating new characters, new locations. But it will feel like it builds on the franchise rather than is tacked on.
• Muzyka has a Genesis signed by Yuji Naka.
• the project got started because Muzyka and Zeschuk knew Sega of America president Simon Jeffery from when he was at LucasArts and they were doing KotOR.
• "most of the high-quality handheld stuff is coming out of Japan. There isn't a lot of North American AAA handheld development going on." They viewed this as an opportunity for them.
• they think the DS is naturally attuned towards RPGs more. The two screens can show RPG stats that's appropriate for the genre. They say building on the DS is like when they were building on the PC years ago because you have a small, tight-knit team where each person is a key contributor.
• they say they really want to make something that stays true to Sonic, but still surprises and surpasses fan expectations because it's something new and different.

The director is Mark Darrah. Prior credits are:
• Baldur's Gate (lead AI programming, additional programming team)
• Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (lead programming)
• Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (lead programmer, Infinity Engine programming team)
• Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (lead programmer)
• Neverwinter Nights (programmer)
• Neverwinter Nights Gold (programmer)
• Jade Empire (lead programmer)
• Mass Effect (special thanks)

Lead artist is Joel MacMillan. Prior credits are:
• Jade Empire (cutscene art/animation team)
• Mass Effect (cinematics animator team)
• Jade Empire Special Edition (cutscene art/animation team)

The lead game designer is new to BioWare. His names is Miles O'Brien Prower Holmes; looks like he used to work at DICE, and his prior credits are:
• Dracula's Secret (artist)
• Shrek for Xbox (tester)
• Jump Start: Dino Adventure (lead artist)
• Diva Starz (lead artist)
• Full Auto 2 (designer)

Banned
I didn't really watch SaTam(It came on between Batman and Freakazoid, sue me) but I appreciate any kids show that tries to treat children as if they have brains. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog just felt insulting in comparison.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I didn't really watch SaTam(It came on between Batman and Freakazoid, sue me) but I appreciate any kids show that tries to treat children as if they have brains. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog just felt insulting in comparison.
Well if it came on between Batman and Freakazoid, I forgive you.

Watching Batman, Sonic, and Freakazoid in a row would have probably killed you from too much awesome. Best to take a breather between awesomes, even if it means skipping one.

• "most of the high-quality handheld stuff is coming out of Japan. There isn't a lot of North American AAA handheld development going on." They viewed this as an opportunity for them.

Sadly, this is true. Glad to see Bioware trying to fix it.

Himuro said:

Actually, yeah. You are wrong. The American TV shows painted Sonic like a freedom fighter, but that was something they made up because the game manuals had zero plot beyond

"DR. ROBOTNIK IS A BAD GUY, GO STOP THE BAD GUY".

Most people in the Sonic fandom consider the japanese game manuals to be the canon for the franchise because they're somewhat interesting (more interesting than the american manuals and even more interesting than the garbage they've called "plot" in the 3D games).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BradVanDam said:
AMY FUCKIN ROSE BETTER NOT BE IN AT AS SONIC HAD SEX WITH A HUMAN RIGHT INF RONT OF AMY FREAKIN ROSE
:lol :lol

RIGHT IN FRONT OF AMY FRIGGIN ROSE

Himuro said:
Sonic wasn't a freedom fighter but it still always had a similar premise to me. It didn't seem that far off, to be honest. Like I said in an earlier post, Robotnik takes over Sonic's home, turns his friends into robots, and it's up to Sonic (and a few other animals) to save their friends and home from Robotinik. The cartoon was very similar to this.

What was the story in the Japanese game manuals?

I can't seem to find a site that has direct translations, but fansite The Green Hill Zone paraphrases them well enough:

http://www.theghz.com/sonic/son1/son1.html
http://www.theghz.com/sonic/son2/son2.html
http://www.theghz.com/sonic/son3/son3.html

One thing The GHZ doesn't mention that the japanese manual for Sonic 1 does is that apparently Sonic and Dr. Robotnik have been fighting each other as long as anybody can remember, but nobody knows why (I believe the manual even says that it's "not important").

With the way Sonic Chronicles hints at something related to Sonic and Robotnik going all the way back to "the first Genesis game", I wouldn't be surprised if they explain the origins of their rivalry.

Y2Kev

Himuro and I have discussed extensively in PM various secret theories regarding AMY FRIGGIN ROSE and her potential plot to slay the human bitch in Sonic Chronicles.

I predict a Sephiroth style death.

Christopher

Himuro said:
Sonic does not deserve to be in Smash Bros since he brings a shame to gaming. The reason being HE CHEATED ON AMY FUCKING ROSE.

Me and Kev were just chatting and have come to the conclusion that Sonic Chronicles will be about Amy Rose's revenge on Sonic.

I still never got how people were in such an uproar over the princeses kissing sonic for not even a second, while defending the old cartoon style where Sonic chased after the squirrel in a vest.

Himumu a furry?

Y2Kev

SONIC in smash brothers is an EFFRONTERY to gaming. HOW DARE HE shit up smash brothers with his adulterous, manwhore ways after making out with the Princess of Soleanna right in front of AMY FRIGGIN ROSE. I mean she was STANDING RIGHT THERE.

Quazar

ethelred said:
Okay, having gone through and read the full article, I think the original poster did a very nice job. But here's some additional info that stood out to me:

• they say there are people who won't be happy that this isn't going to provide the absolute fastest Sonic experience, as it's an RPG. But they say there are other Sonic games that do that, and their interest here is to still incorporate speed wherever it makes sense; they say it's really a combination of both BioWare and Sonic and they want to please fans of both.
• they joked that they're looking to raise Big's IQ a few points
• unlike most 2D RPGs, which use tile-based patterns for the environments, Sonic Chronicles' backgrounds are drawn entirely by hand. They did this because they wanted to try to bring back the series' "classic style."
• shoes will be a big part of Sonic's equipment that you purchase via rings at shops. Examples given are shoes that increase his speed, or give him fire attacks.
• the reason they have battle actions happen after you select actions for all party members is to give the battles a greater sense of speed as everything plays out. some characters will be able to perform multiple actions in a round, leading to "impressively frenetic battle sequences."
• again, the idea with the battles is, you have strategic thinking by turn-based input, but it will be "presented very quickly." "You see Sonic moving the way he should be moving."
• the reason they added real time active elements to the turn-based system is to keep the player engaged. They stated that Final Fantasy, even with its "speculator animations," disengages the play because there's no interaction.
• as you improve your characters, you get new field map abilities as well as battle moves. This will allow you to access new areas on the maps. It will encourage you not just to stick to your favorite characters; each one has unique abilities to offer.
• they don't just want to use preexisting Sonic story stuff. They want to leave the BioWare mark by creating new characters, new locations. But it will feel like it builds on the franchise rather than is tacked on.
• Muzyka has a Genesis signed by Yuji Naka.
• the project got started because Muzyka and Zeschuk knew Sega of America president Simon Jeffery from when he was at LucasArts and they were doing KotOR.
• they think the DS is naturally attuned towards RPGs more. The two screens can show RPG stats that's appropriate for the genre. They say building on the DS is like when they were building on the PC years ago because you have a small, tight-knit team where each person is a key contributor.
• they say they really want to make something that stays true to Sonic, but still surprises and surpasses fan expectations because it's something new and different.

The director is Mark Darrah. Prior credits are:
• Baldur's Gate (lead AI programming, additional programming team)
• Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (lead programming)
• Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (lead programmer, Infinity Engine programming team)
• Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (lead programmer)
• Neverwinter Nights (programmer)
• Neverwinter Nights Gold (programmer)
• Jade Empire (lead programmer)
• Mass Effect (special thanks)

Lead artist is Joel MacMillan. Prior credits are:
• Jade Empire (cutscene art/animation team)
• Mass Effect (cinematics animator team)
• Jade Empire Special Edition (cutscene art/animation team)

The lead game designer is new to BioWare. His names is Miles O'Brien Prower Holmes; looks like he used to work at DICE, and his prior credits are:
• Dracula's Secret (artist)
• Shrek for Xbox (tester)
• Jump Start: Dino Adventure (lead artist)
• Diva Starz (lead artist)
• Full Auto 2 (designer)

I love you. Thanks!

Penguin

Y2Kev said:
SONIC in smash brothers is an EFFRONTERY to gaming. HOW DARE HE shit up smash brothers with his adulterous, manwhore ways after making out with the Princess of Soleanna right in front of AMY FRIGGIN ROSE. I mean she was STANDING RIGHT THERE.

Sonic to kiss Princess Peach in front of Mario and Amy Rose as a secret ending in Brawl.

You heard it here first!

Y2Kev

leaked dialog!!!

Sonic: Amy, I'm leaving you.
Amy: What? Why? Is it someone else?
Sonic: I love another woman.
Amy: Who is she, Sonic? Does she treat you well?
Sonic: She kissed me once and I came back from the dead.
Amy: But I love you!
Sonic: Amy, every hedgehog dreams of something greater, something more. When I was just a young hedgehog with my furry family in our furry home, I dreamed of having a great girlfriend. And you are that great girlfriend, Amy. But now that I've defeated Evil Eggman, it's time to accomplish the second part of my dream....dump whoever I was with and get a human chick.
Amy: Sonic, how could you!
Sonic: I jus' a playa, Amy.
Amy: I am so hurt! or
I am not hurt at all! [lie]

Then Sonic awkwardly kisses the Princess of Soleanna in front of Amy Friggin Rose

Game ends

Penguin

Y2Kev said:
leaked dialog!!!

Sonic: Amy, I'm leaving you.
Amy: What? Why? Is it someone else?
Sonic: I love another woman.
Amy: Who is she, Sonic? Does she treat you well?
Sonic: She kissed me once and I came back from the dead.
Amy: But I love you!
Sonic: Amy, every hedgehog dreams of something greater, something more. When I was just a young hedgehog with my furry family in our furry home, I dreamed of having a great girlfriend. And you are that great girlfriend, Amy. But now that I've defeated Evil Eggman, it's time to accomplish the second part of my dream....dump whoever I was with and get a human chick.
Amy: Sonic, how could you!
Sonic: I jus' a playa, Amy.
Amy: I am so hurt! or
I am not hurt at all! [lie]

Then Sonic awkwardly kisses the Princess of Soleanna in front of Amy Friggin Rose

Game ends

If this is anything like the Adventure games.
That would only be the end of the Sonic story.

You would of course need to beat the game as the other 1201 characters to unlock the true ending of the game.

Which would be Amy in a giant Eggman bot.
After you defeat her, she reveals that she is actually the human princess from a combination flashback/alternate timezone.

Firestorm

Christopher said:
I still never got how people were in such an uproar over the princeses kissing sonic for not even a second, while defending the old cartoon style where Sonic chased after the squirrel in a vest.

Himumu a furry?

furry vs bestiality take your pick

TreIII

Himuro said:
In 360/ps3 Sonic, there's a human and she kisses SONIC RIGHT IN FRONT OF AMY ROSE.

Sonic does not deserve to be in Smash Bros since he brings a shame to gaming. The reason being HE CHEATED ON AMY FUCKING ROSE.

Me and Kev were just chatting and have come to the conclusion that Sonic Chronicles will be about Amy Rose's revenge on Sonic.

More like he cheated on Tails. :lol

I mean, c'mon! Has he EVER shown any romantic affections for Amy (or any woman, for that matter)? Back in Sonic CD and to this day, he seemed to be glad whenever he could be rid of her. And it was pretty much confirmed that the love that Elise chick had for Sonic was unrequited; he didn't really care for her THAT much beyond "Let's be friends!" context.

But he ALWAYS seemed to be willing to do whatever he could to save his "right hand man", Miles "Tails" Prower. Why the hell do you think Sonic keeps him around, to just hook him up with cool shit and fix his plane every once in a while? :D

Y2Kev

Picture the Sephiroth sequence where
aeris dies

Sonic: Princess Soleanna will never laugh again...never cry...
Amy Rose: YOU ARE JUST MY PUPPET, YOU CANNOT FEEL

Top Bottom