• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS just dropped the Better Together update for Minecraft (Switch still TBA)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-update-here

THE BETTER TOGETHER UPDATE IS HERE!

Play the new Minecraft on Xbox, mobile, VR and Windows 10 today!

The big day is finally here!

It’s probably the most significant update we’ve made in Minecraft’s recent history - we’re releasing a new version of the game that lets players on Xbox, mobile, VR and Windows 10 play together!

Switch Update

We’re still working on getting this new version of Minecraft ready for players on Nintendo Switch. We want to make sure that everything is ready to bring this platform onboard, and there’s a lot of work to do to make that happen. After all, no one has ever done anything like this before in the history of gaming. We expect to be ready with the free Better Together Update on Switch this winter.

Click the link to read the massive patch notes

Minecraft Better Together Launch Trailer

Update FAQ

How to redeem the Disc Version on Xbox

Q: What’s the Better Together Update redemption process for disc owners?

A: You’ll need to log into Xbox Live (no need for gold) and insert the disc. You can either wait for the prompt once the game starts or go to the Xbox Store, where you’ll will find the new version of the game. If you’ve either played five hours in the last 12 months, or have bought DLC at any time, the new game should show up as free to download. If not, you can fulfill either of the conditions above before January 30th 2018 and then come back to the store to download. Please be prepared for a short wait, though - as it may take us a few days to process all the redemption requests.

Be patient as MS has said lots of requests to process so it'll pop for you eventually!

20170920_125409e9yra.png

Vinnk

That is actually a very good statement about the Switch version. Won't prevent the whining though..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That is actually a very good statement about the Switch version. Won't prevent the whining though..

Yeah I am fine with that. I'm not surprised. They were not beta testing on that platform like the others so I'm not surprised it's behind. They seem to act like they just need a little more time, but no issues all good.

I got the PC and mobile versions to fuck around with while I wait since my kids made me rebuy this on like everything. Lol

Sony doesn't want MS to use live accounts on their systems.

That has nothing to do with the reason since they also denied Rocket League which requires no such thing.

Anyhow, since the MS buyout this game is becoming something ridiculously huge. Looking forward to trying this out!

lyrick

No... why is there no Sony platform left in the rain / outside looking through the window .gif?

We all understand were Sony stands on letting people from different ecosystems play together.

Oh shit. I need the Xbox One X NOW!

Question. This whole new infinite worlds and playing with PC player only works on these paid server right?

Are the new graphical modes released too?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
still seems dumb sony would want a gimped version of one of the most popular games in the world on their console

False. That might be some Sony BS PR reason. The truth is that being able to play multiplayer across platforms takes away a reason to own a PS4 over an Xbox 1. Sony has the bigger ecosystem right now.

If Sony allows cross-play they might lose some of the "all my friends own a PS4" potential buyers.

jotun?

False. That might be some Sony BS PR reason. The truth is that being able to play multiplayer across platforms takes away a reason to own a PS4 over an Xbox 1. Sony has the bigger ecosystem right now.

If Sony allows cross-play they might lose some of the "all my friends own a PS4" potential buyers.

Bigger than xbox, win10, and mobile combined?

What a strange reason. If most of my friends playing on Xbox while I play on PS4 and think about switching to Xbox, I would rather stay with PlayStation if I can play with them via Crossplay.

Sarcasm

I thought buying the old school Java version grants you the windows ten version too?

Also does this have the fancy graphics pack yet?

Anyhow, since the MS buyout this game is becoming something ridiculously huge. Looking forward to trying this out!
I mean, it already was ridiculously huge. :p But yeah, MS/Mojang have been hitting it out of the park with Minecraft since the buyout. More platforms (all 3 Nintendo consoles including the damn 3DS!), a new/better unified codebase, crossplay, hell, even the Minecraft Education Edition initiative is really cool.

Oh shit. I need the Xbox One X NOW!

Question. This whole new infinite worlds and playing with PC player only works on these paid server right?

Are the new graphical modes released too?

If you mean infinite world sizes, that’s a basic feature not tied to server.

Same with crossplay. You can start up a LAN connection between versions or join each other via XBL right from the Friends menu.

Awesome enough that we’re getting the patch and CrossPlay with switch without the thread turning into 100 reasons why sony doesn’t have the update yet again.

That aside, I can go ahead and buy son and his pals a realm.

Bsigg12

I thought buying the old school Java version grants you the windows ten version too?

Also does this have the fancy graphics pack yet?

I don't believe so, at least I don't see it anywhere. I think that is targeted for the launch on the Xbox One X

Cranster

Banned

That is false.

Novocaine

Tried this during beta. Missus booted up the Xbox and I joined in on the W10 version. Worked seamlessly, was pretty impressed. Once the Switch version releases will try 3 way with that too.

It wasn’t even a PR excuse. It was literally invented by fans.

This is a nonsense reason as well though. One is more likely to not buy a PS4 due to it being the only platform that can’t play with the others than they are to not buy it because they can. Every cross-play game is now worse off on Sony platforms. They literally chose to have the worst version of one of the biggest games of all time.

And Sony sure as hell doesn’t have a bigger ecosystem than Xbox + Win 10 + Android + iOS + Apple TV + Switch.

iiicon

Nice. I've always had trouble playing Minecraft with my kids just due to the crowding of 3 players in split-screen, so I've been looking forward to this. Hopefully the Switch update hits relatively soon, because we've got Minecraft on Xbox One, Switch, and Android.

sugarless

Really annoyed Sony are blocking this on PS4. I play Minecraft online every weekend with my little nephew as a way to stay in touch (I also get to be the cool uncle who "gets" Minecraft). My brother doesn't have a Switch though so we play on PS4. I would love to be able to play on Switch on my end to roam within the house as I play and not tie up the TV. I always laugh at those petitions to games companies but seriously is there one for this yet...

Shin-Ra

If Switch gets 'Better Together' patches later than Windows/Xbox in the future, does cross-play still work between mismatched versions?

Really annoyed Sony are blocking this on PS4. I play Minecraft online every weekend with my little nephew as a way to stay in touch (I also get to be the cool uncle who "gets" Minecraft). My brother doesn't have a Switch though so we play on PS4. I would love to be able to play on Switch on my end to roam within the house as I play and not tie up the TV. I always laugh at those petitions to games companies but seriously is there one for this yet...
For what it’s worth, I don’t believe there’s any chance they won’t cave. It’ll happen eventually, for sure, just a matter of when and of how many games going cross-play it will take before it happens. If we get Activision pushing cross-play in CoD or Bungie pushing it for Destiny I could see them relenting real quick.

Top Bottom