• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

jimmypython

Can someone remind me if there were any tech demos at the ps3 reveal?

Ones that I can still remember (not accurate, some of them might be from E3 2006 I think..):

FF7 HD opening
Motor Storm
Tub Ducks
Sweating Tekken
Unreal 3
Seasonal change (flower?)
Heavy Rain Audition
Heavenly Sword big head facial expression
EYETOY Voice chat with NPC game
8 days
Cowboy movie style DEMO from Rockstar (yes! probably Red Dead Redemption)

you must be thrilled at the prospect of it meeting the stunningly consistent high standards of its forbearer.

You're just being extremely negative. Hardware and software efficiencies are more prominent now than ever before. Wipeout HD, GT5, both two fantastic looking games this gen both run at 60fps and 3D. There is no reason, with significantly more power (which these new consoles will bring...) that they can't achieve this.

Come on people it base off the A10 APU series but looking at desktop versions not going to tell us anything .
Plus APU is desktops have to worry about stuff that won't matter in consoles .

You're just being extremely negative. Hardware and software efficiencies are more prominent now than ever before. Wipeout HD, GT5, both two fantastic looking games this gen both run at 60fps and 3D. There is no reason, with significantly more power (which these new consoles will bring...) that they can't achieve this.

Neither of those were full 1080p just want to point that out .

antonz

Sounds completely contradictory to what sources have let be known prior but with Sony who knows they do alot of crazy stuff

ghst

thanks for the laugh
quite the opposite, it's all about off the shelf parts and APIs now. people don't code to the metal like they used to.

B.O.O.M

Ones that I can still remember (not accurate, some of them might be from E3 2006 I think..):

FF7 HD opening
Motor Storm
Tub Ducks
Sweating Tekken
Unreal 3
Heavy Rain Audition
8 days

damn...I can't remember most of those 0_o need to do some digging and look them up

Durante

I really hope they aren't thinking about going with a design without a dedicated GPU. That thing would be dead in the water, even if they'd sell it for cheap (which they could).

On the other hand, an A10-like APU combined with a decently powerful GPU would be pretty nice.

1-D_FTW

Precisely.

Not well or consistently.

Then again, who knows how reliable any of it is. It's not like these words are coming from the mouths of someone trustworthy or accountable.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

To most people, they're gonna take those quotes at face value. And an A10 most certainly would not do those things. Could it do it as well as the PS3 handled 3D this gen? Okay. But that's not saying a whole lot. Sorry.

To everyone who was calling people crazy a year or 2 ago for saying the new consoles will have 4GB or more Eat it!

50730056.jpg
I'd like a small bottle of ketchup. I honestly didn't expect 4GB until the next round of consoles in 2020. This will be the most delicious serving of crow in 2013.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds completely contradictory to what sources have let be known prior but with Sony who knows they do alot of crazy stuff

In the large it's pretty congruent with the prior rumours.

The last seemingly solid rumour said:

An APU with 4 CPU cores + 18 GPU Compute Units, with 2GB GDDR5 ('trying' for 4GB)

This rumour:

An APU (A10-based) with 8-16GB of RAM in the dev kits (i.e. 4-8GB perhaps in the retail unit)

The only very major explicit change is the RAM, with the implied change of RAM type as well as capacity - but it's not so crazy to think that would have been revised.

We can argue that an A10-based APU might also point to different core and CU types than indicated in the previous rumour, but this might be easily explained if the A10 is just a dev kit rev. This rumour is otherwise not very specific about the APU, except that it is using one, as the previous rumours also said.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love how people take "ultimate goal" as "for sure going to happen."

I wonder if they're pairing a discreete GPU along with the APU.

Seriously? put 2 & 2 together dude, they obviously meant gigabytes. How often is gigabits used when talking about memory.

Usually when you desperately try to convince yourself that the Wii U spec wise, is close to Orbis & Durango.

Otherwise, not really.

Proelite

In the large it's pretty congruent with the prior rumours.

The last seemingly solid rumour said:

An APU with 4 CPU cores + 18 GPU Compute Units, with 2GB GDDR5 ('trying' for 4GB)

This rumour:

An APU (A10-based) with 8-16GB of RAM in the dev kits (i.e. 4-8GB perhaps in the retail unit)

The only very major explicit change is the RAM, with the implied change of RAM type as well as capacity - but it's not so crazy to think that would have been revised.

We can argue that an A10-based APU might also point to different core and CU types than indicated in the previous rumour, but this might be easily explained if the A10 is just a dev kit rev. This rumour is otherwise not very specific about the APU, except that it is using one, as the previous rumours also said.

IGN seemed to think APU + GPU a few months back.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/04/sources-detail-the-playstation-4s-processing-specs

I felt like IGN was accurate with the first kits.

These new kits seemed to be Sony response against the complaints they definitely received.

yon61

I'd like a small bottle of ketchup. I honestly didn't expect 4GB until the next round of consoles in 2020. This will be the most delicious serving of crow in 2013.

Meh, I was hoping for 6GB because I know the OS will be taking a fair chunk of RAM for itself.

thuway

Every single rumour has said it will be an APU, IGN has suggested nothing special, except stating the obvious.

IGN has suggested an A8 and a 7660, which would put it very close to Wii U range. If this goes with a 8850 downclocked and an A10, we are looking at close to 2.0-2.5 teraflops. Perhaps 3.0 teraflops if we take "architecture" gains into context.

Proelite

Every single rumour has said it will be an APU. IGN suggested an A8 and a 7660, which would put it very close to Wii U range. If this goes with a 8850 downclocked and an A10, we are looking at close to 2.0-2.5 teraflops.

Sweetevar's recent first hand info from leaked AMD specs about Starsha seemed to heavily suggest APU + discrete GPU. Unless you're willing to believe that the Orbis will be around the Wii-U in GPU power, there is not way the Starsha APU is all that's going to be in the Orbis.

In addition, there is no way they'd shove 18 CU into an A10 just for dev kit purposes this early. That screams near final silicon to me.

My assumption is that there is a tweaked A10 with parts turned off and clocks adjusted + a discrete off the shelf GPU (most likely an overclocked 7900 series).

Persona86

Banned

FF7 HD opening
Motor Storm
Tub Ducks
Sweating Tekken
Unreal 3
Heavy Rain Audition
8 days

I remember being excited over "The bouncer" trailer (never played it thou haha) I think that was at E3 2006 too right?

EDIT: WOW time flies by!!! Just remembered The bouncer was on PS2 hahaha.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Which wouldn't necessarily be incongruent with that other prior rumour either. If a target APU doesn't exist you'll use a currently available one + a discrete GPU in a kit at the time.

Same, perhaps, for the A10 based kit. If its an unmodified A10 I would hope that in that kit there's also a GPU to bring it up to a higher target.

But it wouldn't necessarily mean a APU+GPU in the final box if they can get their performance target onto an APU alone for the final box.

What were people expecting ?
Some people were hoping for something crazy but that was never going to happen .

Depends,

If its an APU-only solution, it will dissapoint some if not paired with something like CELL or something else that could at least help with 'graphical' processing.

This is not under the assumption that the January kit will have something more modern, such as the Southern Isles based APU line AMD planned for 2013/2014

If it is a modified A10-level APU paired with a next-generation CELL it would at least meet conservative predictions.

If it indeed has a discrete GPU, then we will be stunned, amazed, happy and tossing Sony's salad until launch.

I kind of expect it to have a newer APU than the A10. No way Sony would launch with (by then) 2 year old technology. I'm almost sure it'll have the latest unannounced APU with perhaps a CELL or something thrown in (Since they're pretty cheap, kind of efficient if not relied upon for everything, and would help with BC and OS functions at the least, and be available for devs to do... whatever)

Mindlog

Not well or consistently.

Then again, who knows how reliable any of it is. It's not like these words are coming from the mouths of someone trustworthy or accountable.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

To most people, they're gonna take those quotes at face value. And an A10 most certainly would not do those things. Could it do it as well as the PS3 handled 3D this gen? Okay. But that's not saying a whole lot. Sorry.
I probably went a little too esoteric with the joke.

Agreed completely and I even believe there has to be a trick or two up Sony's sleeve beyond merely offering an A10. 1080p@60FPS 3D for major retail titles is not impossible. Just incredibly unlikely.

Depends,

If its an APU-only solution, it will dissapoint some if not paired with something like CELL or something else that could at least help with 'graphical' processing.

This is not under the assumption that the January kit will have something more modern, such as the Southern Isles based APU line AMD planned for 2013/2014

If it is a modified A10-level APU paired with a next-generation CELL it would at least meet conservative predictions.

If it indeed has a discrete GPU, then we will be stunned, amazed, happy and tossing Sony's salad until launch.

I kind of expect it to have a newer APU than the A10. No way Sony would launch with (by then) 2 year old technology. I'm almost sure it'll have the latest unannounced APU with perhaps a CELL or something thrown in (Since they're pretty cheap, kind of efficient if not relied upon for everything, and would help with BC and OS functions at the least, and be available for devs to do... whatever)

Only reason i see using cell module(co processor) is for ps3 backward compatability and not sure if sony will support it.

So if the final hardware is coming out next summer, how is that enough time for devs to work on their games until the PS4 comes out in Nov 2013?

rdrr gnr

They talked about that they will not work on more portable games, and that they want to make their own console IP.
Ah. So it's still speculative. Ghost of Sparta was better than GoWIII. I think they are a proven studio and deserve a shot.

A10 can run Crysis 2, 1080p, max settings at 33fps. If this is just a starting point I can only imagine where Sony is going with the next few iterations of the dev kits.

Also keep in mind that just because an A10 is there now doesn't mean its the final chip, or even final configuration. It could just serve as a starting point for devs to know the architecture and applicable coding methods to use before the properly horse powered beta kits arrive.

What if they have an 8 core version custom made with a slightly higher clock speed + a separate GPU? The GPU could take the heavy lifting duties while the integrated GPU handles post processing tasks like blur and AA.

As far as ram, they almost certainly mean GB and not Gb. That would be like referring to a 1080p monitor as 2073600px. Final unit is going to have to have more than 2GB if its going to be required to handle all that multitasking as noted.

Also: ive seen it noted in other rumors that sony wants 1080p/60fps @2D and 1080p/30fps @3D.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Every single rumour has said it will be an APU, IGN has suggested nothing special, except stating the obvious.

IGN has suggested an A8 and a 7660, which would put it very close to Wii U range. If this goes with a 8850 downclocked and an A10, we are looking at close to 2.0-2.5 teraflops. Perhaps 3.0 teraflops if we take "architecture" gains into context.

2.0-2.5 TFlops on an 8850 architecture is exactly what I expecting. I'd be very happy with that. There will also be other nips and tucks of course to get it to fit into the console size but I feel like that's a reasonable expectation.

Cyberia

Ready at Dawn is doing a console game? Link?

Become part of the Ready At Dawn team
February 2, 2012

Ready At Dawn is hiring. We’re looking for exceptional candidates to help develop an exciting new IP for a Next-Generation home console.

Check out the jobs page for more information.

And one of the positions mentions this:

Ready At Dawn is seeking a Lead Level Designer to work on our new original IP, 3rd person action adventure game for a Next-Generation home console game system.

http://www.readyatdawn.com/news.php

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And one of the positions mentions this:

http://www.readyatdawn.com/news.php
I have a feeling that this'll be a launch game with promises of stuff like Uncharted and Killzone within the first year. Give the launch day attention to the new IP from the lesser known studio and let the flagship titles have more time with the dev kits to push visuals. After Ghost of Sparta I'm really looking forward to what they can do on consoles.

thuway

What is everyone else here expecting in terms of overall power?

6 GB of RAM, 4 to games, 2 to system;
A10 APU
8850 (underclocked)

Dat 2.5 teraflops...

demolitio

Hot damn. Of course this is still hypothetical until it comes out, but it sounds a lot better than the doom and gloomers on here were "predicting".

BlackJace

People were expecting a generational leap, and that´s what they´ll get. No WiiU situation here.
You're just having a blast here, aren't you?

What is everyone else here expecting in terms of overall power?

6 GB of RAM, 4 to games, 2 to system;
A10 APU
8850 (underclocked)

Dat 2.5 teraflops...

Uhm, not a huge techie, but

4 GB ram
That CPU/GPU hybrid thing you said
Custom HD 7XXX series @1.6ish TF

demolitio

Did everyone skip over this comment? What do you mean? Have you seen them both?

No kidding, but joke or not, I doubt we'll hear more. I'm really curious although remain skeptical obviously. That's quite the difference which makes it hard to believe.

I do think Sony will have the more powerful machine and it will come down to their first party studios to show it. Sony might not make the same mistakes as they did with the PS3, but that doesn't mean they still won't put out a powerful machine for its time. I think they're just smarter in how the approach it so developers won't have trouble.

Top Bottom