• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

Amir0x

Banned
man that's not true at all. For PS2, GT4 looked damned amazing and did things better than Forza from a visual perspective - especially in framerate. They did a good job though for their first try.

hadareud

The Translator
Bud said:
it looks better than gt:hd but it doesn't blow it away though, that's what i said.
don't you think you should at least wait until you see a video or more screens to be able to say that?

Amir0x said:
i just don't see it. I mean, admittedly, it's not the most amazing shit we've seen next-gen. It's a racing game with huge customization, damage models, 300 vehicles, and the shit like '3d grass' and 'HDR' is being added/fixed says che... and what this game DOES acheive is 60fps @ 720p. Which, for me, is what a racing game needs to do in next-gen to even start to be acceptable.

But I agree this isn't a great looking game... but it still doesn't look OMG GTHD as people are making it to be here

I am just judging the screens if the game looks amazing in motion well all this means nothing.

As far as gameplay goes GT games got crushed by forza in every possible way IMO. so that doesnt matter right now :p

bud

hadareud said:
don't you think you should at least wait until you see a video or more screens to be able to say that?

yes you're probably right but i'm caomparing gt:hd pics with forza 2pics.

but yeah i should probably wait for the vids.

Amir0x said:
no of course the game won't reach the CG

but come on guys that should no longer be anyone's base for next-gen titles :p

If you show CG to promote your game that's what it's going to be judged by. I'm more surprised htat devs are still doing it though.

Amir0x

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
As far as gameplay goes GT games got crushed by forza in every possible way IMO. so that doesnt matter right now :p

Well that's fine. While I disagree as strongly as possible, I still think Forza is a great game and start to a franchise... and in the end, that's all that matters.

Solidsnakex said:
If you show CG to promote your game that's what it's going to be judged by. I'm more surprised htat devs are still doing it though.

Obviously, but they showed CG, and said it was CG... and i did not therefore think 'yay now the game will look close to the CG!' I mean, I could have thought that based on some principle... but what would have happened is shattered unrealistic expectations.

SolidSnakex said:

exactly especially when you call them "target videos" in this case it was like targeting the moon with a bb gun.

bud

they said it was cg with in-game assets.

which assets were they talking about? the cars sure as hell doen't look that good.

Amir0x said:
Obviously, but they showed CG, and said it was CG... and i did not therefore think 'yay now the game will look close to the CG!' I mean, I could have thought that based on some principle... but what would have happened is shattered unrealistic expectations.

You can't show that at all, especially when you're claiming in game assets which make it seem even more like a target render. It's going to be compared to what you end up with from then on. So unless you're prepared for that its probably best not to show anything at all or just a step by step process (kinda like that other racer ).

clearly when dev's show you target videos they expect you to think the game will look like the target videos. they dont want you to look at the CG and say "cool thats exactly how the game will NOT look like."

Amir0x

Banned
a CG video could be used for anything - to get a understanding of the story, to perhaps get a feel for the direction the game is heading, to tease at a concept, or even to just hype people up. it is NOT always used to show how you should expect a game to look... that's silly

Amir0x said:
a CG video could be used for anything - to get a understanding of the story, to perhaps get a feel for the direction the game is heading, to tease at a concept, or even to just hype people up. it is NOT always used to show how you should expect a game to look... that's silly

then why call them "target videos" . I dont think they use CG to present the the forza story here. You and I know that no game will actually look exactly like the CG but some games will actually come close and other will look nothing like it. What do you think the average consumer will think when they see forza Target CG in the forza commercial?

simply put Devs want you to think the CG will represent reasonably well what the actual game will look like or else they would not show it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
buckfutter said:
You kind of just did. And what's the point of modelling all that detail if it barely looks better than a last-gen "photo texture" version? Compare the tailights and tell me something is not wrong with this picture. No-one was going "ga-ga" over a last-gen title, they were pointing out that these screenshots are lacklustre.

Barely looks better? I wouldn't say that... depends what you look for I guess... I like to look for details...

Also, I can imagine with these details, these cars will look much more impressive in motion, whether in standard racing or in replays...

Oh, and how could I forget to mention the real-time damage up above to keep in account with Forza 2? Ugh...

Like I said with the taillights, it's just a photo - when you look at GT's taillights from the side, it kind of ruins the illusion as it flat and not see-through, unlike actual 3D modeled taillights... if you're not looking for detail, I guess that's why it's okay for you...

Amir0x said:

Fact is with the current gen of graphics when you're showing stuff like that (and considering how common its become to do that) its pretty clear what the devs are trying to say with those videos. That's why unless you want those comparisons don't do them. Well unless you're sure you can reach them.

SolidSnakex said:
Fact is with the current gen of graphics when you're showing stuff like that (and considering how common its become to do that) its pretty clear what the devs are trying to say with those videos. That's why unless you want those comparisons don't do them. Well unless you're sure you can reach them.

I agree yea glad to see you realize this now......cant wait for your comments when Killzone and tekken 6 are revealed,

Kabuki Waq said:
I agree yea glad to see you realize this now......cant wait for your comments when Killzone and tekken 6 are revealed,

Tekken looked like shit at E3 so it can only get better from then on.

Wollan said:
You don't need to have seen the cg videos to be disappointed over the graphics.

Pretty much as its not even up with PGR3 yet.

hadareud

The Translator
SolidSnakex said:
Pretty much as its not even up with PGR3 yet.
yeah, you seem really disappointed, genuinely disappointed even.
m0dus said:
That game, running in 720p at 60fps on the Xbox would be impossible, my friend.
it would be impossible no matter what framerate or resolution I'd say.

Still it looks average at best from those screens

J-Rzez

Gek54 said:
Seems GT4 has better tail lights.

These pics got confirmed? Forza:HD a reality...

It's just the incredibly stupid portrail of cars in this game... Like I said, it's half-GT/half-Auto Modelista quasi-cell-shaded stuff... Personally, I think it's horrible, like it or not... and like it or not, GT:HD will indefinetly put up a fight for ppl to say which one looks better...

I hope to Lord that the physics at least got revamped... Seriously... If that's where I'm going to see the biggest jump, then I'll be a happy driver... 60fps is nice though, they got that right...

GT:HD doesn't look like a bad purchase to me now...

Hopefully we'll see Forza 3 when GT5 would release... otherwise, it won't be pretty...

Pug

Lets be honest these types of threads are usually the domain of the single console fanboy who is eager to make his/her inconsequential point. Fact is the vast majority of people posting in threads such as these, A do not own the console the game is targetted for, and B have in intention of buying the said console and more importantly the game in question. Which makes one wonder why the hell they post in such treads? Or does it?

DSCN1585.jpg

RaijinFY

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I can only imagine what this thread would be like if this were a PS3 title.

"Looks like shit!", "Sony lies again!", "PS3 hardware broken and CELL underpowered...."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Also, It seems the game will be delayed until March 2007.

Kabuki Waq said:
I am just judging the screens if the game looks amazing in motion well all this means nothing.

Thread Title Change!

(The best part of the post was the way that 98% of the games qualities as illustrated in the second paragraph are written off. Really classic. It's almost sad to see so much dust kicked up over screenshots of a game that does not have all of its graphical zim zams in place. Did I say "sad"? I meant incredibly amusing and quite an educational experience.)

BenjaminBirdie said:
Thread Title Change!

(The best part of the post was the way that 98% of the games qualities as illustrated in the second paragraph are written off. Really classic. It's almost sad to see so much dust kicked up over screenshots of a game that does not have all of its graphical zim zams in place. Did I say "sad"? I meant incredibly amusing and quite an educational experience.)

People can only judge what they can see, not what the developers want or think they can get. It's the same for any other game.

SolidSnakex said:
People can only judge what they can see, not what the developers want or think they can get. It's the same for any other game.

But why would anyone make judgements on something (a racing sim) based on a half finished example of 4% of its relative qualities?

The reactions are not "these screenshots looks terrible" they are "ForzaHD confirmed". See how one refers only to the evidence in question and the other dismisses the entire endeavor? And see how one of those is a sensible if subjective conclusion, while the other has no basis in any kind of rational thinking?

shpankey

not an idiot
BenjaminBirdie said:
But why would anyone make judgements on something (a racing sim) based on a half finished example of 4% of its relative qualities?
as i said a long time ago in this thread, none of us are saying this is our final judgement. we are not time travelers, we can only respond to what we see now. when and if that changes, we'll all make new judgements.

i simply don't understand why some of you are getting upset that we are critiquing them now.

Zaptruder

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

The reactions are not "these screenshots looks terrible" they are "ForzaHD confirmed". See how one refers only to the evidence in question and the other dismisses the entire endeavor? And see how one of those is a sensible if subjective conclusion, while the other has no basis in any kind of rational thinking?

You defend the X360 so hard, you're going to give yourself an aneurysm. Give yourself a break man.

m0dus said:
Really? And if a member of Kojima's Dev team came onto the forum with similar claims about MGS4,

Given that MGS4 has widely been considered one of the standouts as far as next gen visuals from the first day it was shown they don't really need to do anything like that. So its no use speculating.

m0dus said:
or if someone from PD came in to talk about how advanced visuals were going to be implemented into GTHD, it would be completely ignored?

I'm sure the samething that's going on now would be happening.

Kangu

Banned
m0dus said:
Because the physics in the 1st forza completely wiped the floor with GT? Seriously, you realize they can only get better?

Well they can't get any worse. They didn't wipe the floor with much of anything as it stands.

Angelcurio

The sad part is that if this were a ps3 game the thread would be 35 pages long already with people just complaining and insulting the ps3.

m0dus said:
Right, cause PD has failed to deliver SO many times in the past, it would warrant the same cluster**** of hate that this game is getting? Cocaine's a hell of a drug?

Uhh yes. GT is basically the pinnacle of the genre, rather some like it or not. It's all over racing mags, sells the best ect. With that success comes huge amounts of anticipation and expectations. Put it simply like this, if GT5 is revealed and it isn't the best looking racing game shown at that time all hell is going to break lose. That's the bar Polyphony is at, anything else is a disappointment.

Majmun

The only reasons why GT4 got trashed was because PD didn't do anything new to the franshise to keep it fresh. It was basically GT3.5. No online play and no damade modeling.

But other than that, it was superior to Forza. GT4 has more cars, more courses, looked better, 60fps, better handling, force feedback was better...etc.etc.

PD have learned from ther mistake and they will reinvent the franchise with the 5th iteration. No doubt about it.

Zaptruder said:
You defend the X360 so hard, you're going to give yourself an aneurysm. Give yourself a break man.

That's just me using my regular amount of thought and analysis. I don't know how hard you strain around here, but my brain veins are just fine.

And I'm not defending the "X360" at all. I'm pointing out how boneheaded it is judge any racing sim on screenshots, much less screenshots that aren't indicative of the final product. The only thing I pointed out wayyyyy up thread was that there was a gas gague in the HUD. Something that actually has impact on how the game is played.

The only one straining in this equation, I'd wager, is the person whose post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread at hand and serves only as an attempt (poor, at that) to discredit my commentary as blind fanboyism, as opposed to an exhortation of rational thought and the benefits of drawing conclusions from evidence.

Ajax

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
I can only imagine what this thread would be like if this were a PS3 title.

:lol It would be a riot. The "Sony delivers what they promised" sarcasic comments and the "this graphics for 600?!?!?" would be all over the place.

bud

m0dus said:
My obvious sarcasm aside, I was referring to the reception that one of the developers would get if they chanced to venture into this forum. That being said, If this WAS GT, people would be singing alot more praises and exercising alot more patience. Oh yes, there would be fanboys--but the vast majority would be pushing for people to 'wait until TGS' or the like.

it would be the exact opposite modus.

really.

Kangu

Banned
m0dus said:
Except for the fact they were accurate on a level that GT simply did not display? Do I really need to pull out the telemetry vids?

Yah sure. Pull out the one where you slam on the gas going through a turn in a RWD and the car doesn't spin out, that one's pretty accurate.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Haters wanna hate
Lovers wanna love

I don't even want
none of the above

Btw people, people are judging the looks of the game, no ones saying these screen shots mean it plays like rad mobile or something.

And yeah, it's okay to tell people you think these screens are shit (i dont give a shit about the game so really they look normal to me) because guess what, thats what those screens are made for. They aren't there to say "hey guys this game exists, don't judge me though!" they are there to say "this is what the game looks like right now, what do you think?" It's totally fair to say NOW you think this doesnt live up to your standards. Of course you might change your mind later down the road, but hey, things change.

bud

m0dus said:
We'll chalk that up to a difference of perspective.

In either case, let me state this: in NEITHER circumstance (GT or Forza, PS3 or X360) is that kind of foolishness justified. Not until the reviews are in, and the game is in your hand, IMO.

pd are the king of racing games. their games must look jawdropping. forza2 doesn't look jawdropping. therefore, if forza2 was gt5 it would get even more bad reactions.

fact

"pd are the king of racing games."

No.

"Uhh yes. GT is basically the pinnacle of the genre, rather some like it or not"

I'm trying so hard not to use the laugh smilie here. I thought the pinnacle of the genre would be a game that sets the bar for something outside of the superficial. But, I guess superficial's the only way the GT series would ever be mentioned.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
cornholio said:
I have yet to see a good looking 360 racer, lol. :lol

How is this guy not banned yet?

Anyhow, this is the first look at the game. More screenshots will come with more car variety, more tracks... and more importantly, hands-on impressions, etc. I dunno, there's plenty of potential for this game not to suck, especially based on 5 screenshots. :p

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Bud said:
pd are the king of racing games. their games must look jawdropping. forza2 doesn't look jawdropping. therefore, if forza2 was gt5 it would get even more bad reactions.

fact

READ ALL ABOUT IT!! OPINIONS ARE THE NEW FACTS!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!

presskid.gif

Top Bottom