• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! March |OT| Girls, Girls, Girls of Spring Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Still confused and a little disappointed Nightwing switched to red. Oh well, guess I'll get over it...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
No longer Captain Marvel. They are calling him Shazam and going full magical background now.

Cannot wait! He may finally be more than a 2nd rate Superman clone.

is he going to join jld?

Probably a new digital-first weekly/biweekly serialization format.

Anyway: Earth 2 interview with James Robinson. Other than a few familiar elements (Helena Wayne, Garrick/Scott/Pratt in lieu of Allen/Jordan/Choi), it's pretty clear that this has nothing to do with any previous Earth-2 or JSA book.

Also, new Jay Garrick design:
OLLkj.jpg

either the lightning bolt or the helmet. the design needs only one.

that shit is offensive to sight every time i see it. we need more emerald knight design and less "living lantern"

Green_Lantern_Alan_Scott_Kingdom_Come.jpg

notworksafe

MARVEL
Releasing This Week

COMIC OF THE WEEK:
NOV110503 AVENGERS CHILDRENS CRUSADE #9 (OF 9) $3.99
PuZ7Hl.jpg

The big climax that sets the stage big time for what is to come in 2012! Deaths and departures! The funeral of an Avenger. The final fate of the Scarlet Witch. Plus, a new lineup and direction for the Young Avengers.

zych4.jpg
72Nd9.jpg
qYFGR.jpg
mXgNx.jpg
JFnaE.jpg

fBNVZ.jpg
Cf2Ga.jpg
d8YbA.jpg
nGQdY.jpg
rwipy.jpg

FxmPj.jpg
sMdZU.jpg
StiCD.jpg
z6E4F.jpg
jHzKH.jpg

zG2fh.jpg
JmJ4n.jpg
jrMwx.jpg

JAN120690 AGE OF APOCALYPSE #1 $2.99
JAN120657 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #681 $3.99
JAN120646 AVENGERS ACADEMY #27 $2.99
JAN120682 DEFENDERS #4 $3.99
JAN120684 FEAR ITSELF FEARLESS #10 (OF 12) $2.99
JAN120668 HULK #49 $2.99
JAN120636 MARVELS AVENGERS PRELUDE FURYS BIG WEEK #1 (OF 4) $2.99
JAN120666 THOR DEVIANTS SAGA #5 (OF 5) $3.99
JAN120677 TOY STORY #1 (OF 4) $2.99
JAN120647 ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #8 WITH DIG CODE $3.99
JAN120695 UNCANNY X-MEN #8 $3.99
JAN120660 VENOM #14 $2.99
JAN120687 VILLAINS FOR HIRE #4 (OF 4) $2.99
JAN120663 WINTER SOLDIER #3 $2.99
JAN120699 WOLVERINE #302 $3.99
JAN120697 WOLVERINE AND X-MEN ALPHA AND OMEGA #3 (OF 5) $3.99
JAN120710 X-CLUB #4 (OF 5) $2.99
JAN120702 X-MEN #26 $3.99

NOW I want a book called "Thug Killah". Dudes with magic handguns and capes and shit. If that was this Shazam book is, take all my money, DC.

Hey, are you guys reading Batman Odysessy? Because its amazingly bad.

prv11610_pg2.jpg

No, they don't explain why Deadman is suddenly a pharaoh in Egypt or who that purple hippo is. Or the string in Batman's knees?

prv11610_pg3.jpg

Now that is some incredible dialog!

“I DID have to go”
“NOT… if it’s stupid”

David Mazzucchelli wants you to avoid the new edition of 'Batman: Year One' like the plague

Mazzucchelli said:
DC just sent me this book last week, and I really hope people don’t buy it. I didn’t even know they were making it, and I don’t understand why they thought it was necessary — several years ago, DC asked me if I’d help put together a deluxe edition ofBatman: Year One, and Dale Crain and I worked for months to try to make a definitive version. Now whoever’s in charge has thrown all that work in the garbage. First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork — probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third — and worst — they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work. Anybody who’s already paid for this should send it back to DC and demand a refund.
DC's trade division just keeps knocking 'em out of the park, don't they? [/sarcasm]

Gooooooood DAMNIT, I just put aside money to buy that Deluxe Batman: Year One. That shit is classic, but they never gave it the oversized treatment it deserves. I wanted to put this right alongside my Absolute Dark Knight edition.

Also, I really don't like the glossy paper for older comics, and this goes for Marvel as well. The Claremont/Lee Omnibus is a nice collection of issues, but the coloring looks HORRID because on that shiny glossy pages because it was never meant to come out that way. It's all washed out and shitty, with those simple color tones left to bare on the page minus the artifacts. I'd rather the big CD-ROMs of comics, personally.

And Mary Marvel a single mom working the pole, and Freddy a young dope slinger trying to get out the game. But Freddy needs one big score to set him and Mary up for a better life.

I wouldn't put it past them

Also, Sivana is now a rival smack dealer nicknamed "The doctah" who wants to put Freddy out of business for good and Mr.Mind is the name of a new psychedelic drug that's just hitting the streets.

BluWacky

JAN120327 FAIREST #1 (MR) $2.99

In keeping with this month's thread theme, this is apparently all about the women of the Fables series. I don't care for Fables personally, but there you go - much more interested in New Deadwardians and Saucer Country out of the new Vertigo titles this month (Voodoo Child, on the other hand, irritated me a bit in its preview with its slightly stereotypical "there be spookiness in dem New Orleans graveyards, missah!" narration, although it seems to have some more interesting visual ideas).

In ongoing adventures with comics:

Pedro and Me was interesting. It feels odd to live in what I might naively call a "post-AIDS" world; my gay friends actively joke with each other about "getting the AIDS", even though they regularly get tested for STDs just to be on the safe side. Was The Real World a really big deal in the States or something to have given Pedro such exposure? Anyway, Winick's art style both accentuates and diminishes the impact of the story in interesting ways, and it's clearly something he was very passionate about which shines throughout the book.

On a completely different note, I also just read Chew TPB 3. It was awesome.

Nesotenso

Word Balloon with Mark Waid

Listening to this right now. Scott Snyder piece is more of the same from him, but the interview with Mark Waid is pretty freaking great. Lots of history, goings-on, and speculation about the comics industry.

Yeah this was pretty great. Was going to link to it myself. Surprised that his Boom books are not 100% creator owned. Sad that his relationship with DC is strained.

He is clearly having fun writing Daredevil. Loved his video interview he did earlier as well.

He might announce some digital creator owned work at Mega con

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Word Balloon with Mark Waid

Listening to this right now. Scott Snyder piece is more of the same from him, but the interview with Mark Waid is pretty freaking great. Lots of history, goings-on, and speculation about the comics industry.

Haven't listened yet, but is it me or are creators more and more speaking out against some of the industry bullshit nowadays rather than blindly towing the company line? That Batman Deluxe trade debacle also strikes me of this.

Children's Crusade is actually ending this week, hasn't it been going on since like Secret Invasion?

No, 2008 is just when Heinberg and Cheung began working on it. That's not an exaggeration.

#1 actually shipped in July 2010. #9 is shipping four months later than it would have had they managed to stick to the announced bimonthly schedule; it's still ending about two months earlier than I had expected when #1 shipped, so... hooray for low expectations.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
heh... what was the name of that character whose power was to turn into a super powered black guy?

Thug Killah, pops a cap in your ass then leaves in a flash. "Shazam, nigga"

Thug Killah, makes the girls go wild! "Ooh, shit. Ooh, you cape-wearing mothafucker. You know you in here good, you thunderbolt-appearing son of a bitch!"

Thug Killah, his parents just don't understand his darn rap music!

McDuffie's "Brown Bomber" was an obvious one-off satirical character, who was actually based on a superhero that DC was going to publish before Tony Isabella convinced them not to and came up with Black Lightning instead. He was called "The Black Bomber," and he was a white bigot who turned into a black strongman in times of stress. I sh*t you not.

http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/blacklightning.html

http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2008/10/whats-happenin-baby-meet-brown-bomber.html

Tony Isabella said:
I will say that I created Black Lightning after convincing DC not to publish another "black" super-hero on which they had started work. The Black Bomber was a white bigot who, in times of stress, turned into a black super-hero. This was the result of chemical camouflage experiments he'd taken part in as a soldier in Vietnam. The object of these experiments was to allow our [white] troops to blend into the jungle.

In each of the two completed Black Bomber scripts, the white bigot risks his own life to save another person whom he can't see clearly (in one case, a baby in a stroller) and then reacts in racial slur disgust when he discovers that he risked his life to save a black person. He wasn't aware that he had two identities, but each identity had a girlfriend and the ladies were aware of the change. To add final insult, the Bomber's costume was little more than a glorified basketball uniform.

DC had wanted me to take over writing the book with the third issue. I convinced them to eat the two scripts and let me start over. To paraphrase my arguments...

"Do you REALLY want DC's first black super-hero to be a white bigot?"

Okay, he wasn't precisely their first black super-hero, but I made my point. The Black Bomber stories were deep-sixed and I went to work on my own creation.

Slayven

McDuffie's "Brown Bomber" was an obvious one-off satirical character, who was actually based on a superhero that DC was going to publish before Tony Isabella convinced them not to and came up with Black Lightning instead. He was called "The Black Bomber," and he was a white bigot who turned into a black strongman in times of stress. I sh*t you not.

http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/blacklightning.html

http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2008/10/whats-happenin-baby-meet-brown-bomber.html

If he had a skateboard, he would have a series today.

Tyree

Neo Member
Only white people would think wearing a hood makes you hood.

Oh and DC you already redesigned Captain Marvel's costume to have a hood a few yew years ago.
d2Oos.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So is the Nova in those previews supposed to be Richard Rider or somebody else?

tm24

So is the Nova in those previews supposed to be Richard Rider or somebody else?

At first they made it seem like Richard but lately they've been saying unnamed nova corps member in all the PR. So probably not Richard.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

[/IMG]http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/96e908ei11610/prv11610_pg2.jpg[/IMG]

No, they don't explain why Deadman is suddenly a pharaoh in Egypt or who that purple hippo is. Or the string in Batman's knees?

[/IMG]http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/96e908ei11610/prv11610_pg3.jpg[/IMG]

“I DID have to go”
“NOT… if it’s stupid”

"How do you do that?"
"Right-handed"
"Oh"
"Other stuff"
"Got it"

o_O

I kinda want to buy the trade of this when it's out just for the sheer insanity.

It's even funnier if you read it outloud, including all those flat-out wrong ellipses for emphasis on vocal pauses. Yes...it's Deadman. Not...if its stupid.

And the whole series is like this, its just insane and plays by no rules, not even its own.

batman-octopus-1299616950.jpg

AN OCTOPUS OF A THING!

Garryk

Yeah this was pretty great. Was going to link to it myself. Surprised that his Boom books are not 100% creator owned. Sad that his relationship with DC is strained.

He is clearly having fun writing Daredevil. Loved his video interview he did earlier as well.

He might announce some digital creator owned work at Mega con
He sounds like he would be willing to do some more Marvel work for sure. I wouldn't mind him taking over ASM if Slott left after EotE or picking up a Spidey title when they add some for the movie release. I also wouldn't mind him going back to F4 after Hickman is done.

Blader

NOW I want a book called "Thug Killah". Dudes with magic handguns and capes and shit. If that was this Shazam book is, take all my money, DC.

prv11610_pg2.jpg

prv11610_pg3.jpg

“I DID have to go”
“NOT… if it’s stupid”

Is this supposed to be written in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom