• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Javaman said:
I own their entire recent catalog on PC. I'll give them my money when they do away with these stupid preorder bonuses and charge a normal price for a glorified expansion.
http://i52.tinypic.com/10ej2q0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Bwuh? Since when is 30$ not a normal price for an expansion?

Mrbob

Javaman said:
I own their entire recent catalog on PC. I'll give them my money when they do away with these stupid preorder bonuses and charge a normal price for a glorified expansion.

Huh? 30 dollars is the norm for a Relic expansion.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Machinarium runs slowly on my rig (5850 Q6600). Using Win 7 64 bits, runs flawlessly on my laptop (i5, Radeon HD4250, Win 7 32 bits).

Troubleshooting?

ZZMitch

Wow I gave RUSH and Toki Tori a try tonight and they are both really good!

I also really love their use of steam cloud, since I can play both of these games on my desktop as well as my laptop. More games need to implement this! I know Torchlight does, is there a list somewhere?

edit- Also, I started Half Life 2 tonight
The part where you put on your HEX suit again at the start of the game and the Valve music starts = epic

Shaneus

Hawk xSx said:
Use this: GameSaveManager (http://gsm.duncsweb.com/)
Problem: It mentions NFS:HP, but it also mentions NFS:HP2. Which NFS:HP is it talking about? ARGH!!
SuperÑ said:
Machinarium runs slowly on my rig (5850 Q6600). Using Win 7 64 bits, runs flawlessly on my laptop (i5, Radeon HD4250, Win 7 32 bits).

Troubleshooting?
Crossfire? It's not a 3D game so it shouldn't make any difference, but it's worth a crack. I think it also uses Flash so maybe you need to reinstall/upgrade that?

vocab

SuperÑ said:

Troubleshooting?

Has something to do with your drivers, and flash hardware acceleration.

graywolf323

Shaneus said:
Problem: It mentions NFS:HP, but it also mentions NFS:HP2. Which NFS:HP is it talking about? ARGH!!

NFS: HP is the one that came out just a couple months ago

NFS:HP2 came out around 2003?

zoku88

SuperÑ said:

Troubleshooting?
Try updating flash.

Steam returned the 9.99 I spent on FC2 and JK Collection during the sale. Any ideas? Had $150 in the account and haven't got any emails (they returned it a few days ago). wtf

UrbanRats

Mr Sandman said:
Steam returned the 9.99 I spent on FC2 and JK Collection during the sale. Any ideas? Had $150 in the account and haven't got any emails (they returned it a few days ago). wtf
They love you very much?

Mr Sandman said:

It's so that you won't complain when you're not allowed to play it anymore a year from now?

Javaman said:
It's in line with other expansions and I was always happy with the content in Relic's expansions and felt I got my money's worth. But that's just me.

bj00rn_

Banned
Was interested buying Amnesia, but then I saw it's

7 dollars in the US store
but 15 euros in the european store

When you convert that it's almost a 300% difference (Not a lot of money per se to generate drama over, but the principle of it..).. Of course MS and its marketplace is also doing this.., but it's even worse for Valve/Steam because in the near past they actually used to give me the choice of buying in euros or dollars. They since bluntly removed that option.

Reply from Valve:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Prices in the Steam Store are set on a region by region basis. The price and currency displayed are the set prices for those games based on your location. We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what can be found at local retailers and online shops."

Yeah, you are working hard screwing your european customers, that's what you're doing..

bj00rn_ said:
Was interested buying Amnesia, but then I saw it's

7 dollars in the US store
but 15 euros in the european store

When you convert that it's almost a 300% difference (Not a lot of money per se to generate drama over, but the principle of it..).. Of course MS and its marketplace is also doing this.., but it's even worse for Valve/Steam because in the near past they actually used to give me the choice of buying in euros or dollars. They since bluntly removed that option.

Reply from Valve:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Prices in the Steam Store are set on a region by region basis. The price and currency displayed are the set prices for those games based on your location. We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what can be found at local retailers and online shops."

Yeah, you are working hard screwing your european customers, that's what you're doing..

You do know we have an entire gifting thread for this?

bj00rn_

Banned
Prophet Steve said:
You do know we have an entire gifting thread for this?

I just checked it out, and no I had no clue there was something like that. That is great. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
hi Gaf,

I am trying to install Recettear and i cant seem to get it working.I downloaded it and started the install, the bar fills up and it gets stuck on:

creating local game cache files...
preparing Recettear for install

But the bars fill up and sit there. Help! I want to play my Recettear :( I don't see an option to delete the file anywhere on Steam.

Lothars

Sinatar said:
Relic deserves your money, they are one of the few studios still producing amazing AAA PC exclusives. Don't be a cheapass.

They are a great studio but having 5 different preorder's like that doesn't help there cause at all and I am also glad they are going steamworks but I don't think them going steamworks at an expansion is the time for them to go because I think it does more damage to the previous versions.

I will pick it up but I will not be buying it at release and probably will wait for a sale for them doing this.

Lothars said:
They are a great studio but having 5 different preorder's like that doesn't help there cause at all and I am also glad they are going steamworks but I don't think them going steamworks at an expansion is the time for them to go because I think it does more damage to the previous versions.

I will pick it up but I will not be buying it at release and probably will wait for a sale for them doing this.
*scratches head* Why is this a problem at all? They set up the different pre-orders for everyone to chose their favourite race. Sure all this exclusive stuff hoopla is not something I enjoy all too much but it's hardly out of line of the current state of video-gaming (and it has been done before too, think Pokemon etc.).

Frankly I don't bother with thinking too much about this stuff, it's just some wargear and abilities for single-player.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mr Sandman said:
Mr 5andman is writing a steam support rage thread as we speak.

poppabk

Phife Dawg said:
*scratches head* Why is this a problem at all? They set up the different pre-orders for everyone to chose their favourite race. Sure all this exclusive stuff hoopla is not something I enjoy all too much but it's hardly out of line of the current state of video-gaming (and it has been done before too, think Pokemon etc.).

Frankly I don't bother with thinking too much about this stuff, it's just some wargear and abilities for single-player.
Its lame but it is better than different pre-order bonuses depending on where you buy it from (I assume they aren't doing this also). I am more concerned with how the transition away from GFWL is going to occur. I will be sad if this becomes a completely standalone expansion, with no link to the previous games.

dLMN8R

All the Dawn of War II Retribution stuff is simple wargear - stuff you get constantly while playing. The exclusives tied to the version you choose would probably be obsolete by the time you get a couple missions into the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
dLMN8R said:
All the Dawn of War II Retribution stuff is simple wargear - stuff you get constantly while playing. The exclusives tied to the version you choose would probably be obsolete by the time you get a couple missions into the game.

That doesn't sound so bad then. I hope this very ambitious expansion delivers! I had nearly forgotten about it till just now, and really enjoyed CR (much more than the original).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
dLMN8R said:

Not only is it just wargear, it's single player wargear. Does a couple of items in the campaign really bother you guys that much?

Lothars said:

You really think Relic chose to do this? Really? Really?

THQ broheim.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really glad I picked up Mafia 2 during the sale. I don't know why it got such mediocre reviews...it's an awesome game. Looks incredible, actually plays great, and the story has been really interesting so far. The only subpar thing about it so far is the animation.

It's seriously a far better game than GTA IV.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sinatar said:
You really think Relic chose to do this? Really? Really?

THQ broheim.
I'm sure they lobbied for it, considering how frustrated they sounded in blogposts about patch release dates being delayed by MS certification.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheExodu5 said:
I'm really glad I picked up Mafia 2 during the sale. I don't know why it got such mediocre reviews...it's an awesome game. Looks incredible, actually plays great, and the story has been really interesting so far. The only subpar thing about it so far is the animation.

I think the main issue is that (and I loved the game, see my GOTY post) it's a game that takes place in an open world but is not an open world game. It's a linear action shooter. There's absolutely no side content at all. So instead of judging it by what it is, they judged it by what they hoped it might be.

Oddly enough GTA IV suffered from the exact same problem.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I think the main issue is that (and I loved the game, see my GOTY post) it's a game that takes place in an open world but is not an open world game. It's a linear action shooter. There's absolutely no side content at all. So instead of judging it by what it is, they judged it by what they hoped it might be.

I think I may prefer the linear approach. While there may be 'less' to do, the narrative and variety in gameplay benefit greatly, I think.

TheExodu5 said:

I liked Mafia 2, but with no side quests to do other than story which made it a short game. Could be finished in 6 hours. I could only do so much robbery and car jacking before it got old. I started to buy all the available clothes for Vitto and dressing him up. It really does deserve a better score, but lacks replayability.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheExodu5 said:
I think I may prefer the linear approach. While there may be 'less' to do, the narrative and variety in gameplay benefit greatly, I think.

Personally I agree, excellent narrative arc and the mission design was great. Also the massive time period jump that occurs during the game is one of the coolest world transformations I've seen in a long long time!

poppabk

TheExodu5 said:

I have loved what I have played so far, shame it seems to have reviewed and sold poorly. The attention to detail on faces is a step above anything else I can think of, it really helps the cutscenes.

UrbanRats

TheExodu5 said:

I'm liking it too, though being a more linear game, it still has major plot holes that are really disturbing, to me.
MAJOR SPOILER WARNING
You get out of jail and, while you were in, your sister come and tell you she's getting married, but you don't even bother to go and make her a visit? We don't even know who she's married to!
You'll probably gonna find out later (haven't finish'd it yet) but you'd think that's something you would do RIGHT AFTER you get out of jail?

Sanjay

Lyphen said:
Bwuh? Since when is 30$ not a normal price for an expansion?

:lol You guys complaining about $30, how about £30 over here, that's like full retail price for PC games.

Polk

nexen said:
I am having sale withdrawals. :(

Q: Does the steam version of DoWII: Retribution have GFWL achievements?
No. Steam achievements, no GWFL at all in any of the versions.

Oh haha, Square Enix. Now that I've bought your GOTY, you shell out the Kain and Raziel character pack. y u hurt my wallet? :(

Still, playing as Kain with Lara's voice should be it's own form of entertainment.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Polk said:
No. Steam achievements, no GWFL at all in any of the versions.
I think that's an achievement in and of itself. Steam makes it incredibly easy to run from a portable hard drive but it's really hit or miss with GFWL.

JoeBoy101

Stumpokapow said:

I can concur with this. I do want SOME side content in the game, but they didn't have to do major levels or normal GTA levels of side content to make happy. Its more that there's never a good breathing period to go out and take in the city and go driving. Its all mission based. That and I wanted to be able to buy other pads to live in, though that would have effected the plot.

dlMN8R said:

I dunno about that. When DoW II first released, I got the bonuses and they were between level 5 and level 10 gear. One of them being an Iron Halo which is hard to find otherwise on the drops. If they do such a model again, I'll probably want to grab the exclusive wargear.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah all the bonus wargear I got from the Commander Pack wasn't even useable when the game started. Though, when I leveled up, it wasn't mindblowing kit.

poppabk said:
Its lame but it is better than different pre-order bonuses depending on where you buy it from (I assume they aren't doing this also). I am more concerned with how the transition away from GFWL is going to occur. I will be sad if this becomes a completely standalone expansion, with no link to the previous games.
It is completely standalone. Owners of the older games will not be able to play with Retribution players.

It's the sacrifice which had to be made, to escape Microsoft's service.
dLMN8R said:
For those that reallllllly care so much about having all that Super Special (tm) wargear, there's a collector's edition you're free to pick up:

http://www.destructoid.com/dawn-of-war-ii-retribution-collector-s-edition-detailed-190985.phtml

This expansion seems like it'll be nearly twice as big as Chaos Rising. Can't wait for it :D
Oh hell yes. I'm buying the CE, since it activates on Steam anyway.

I'm so hyped for Retribution. I've been playing DoW competitively since the original, but sadly GFWL made me give up on the DoW2 ladder. It's a shame, when freaking Gamespy did a better job than GFWL.

The Steamworks announcement has made me happy beyond words. I'm ready to go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom