• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I am so embarrassed for this moron. Yeesh, I hope he gets banned again.

Screw Consoles.

The alternative being..PCs? Where DRM and digital services can do the exact same thing that happened to the op..

El-Suave

Has there been any press for this incident? Of course OP would need to agree to share his story, but if you post it on GAF, you might as well go bigger and maybe get the result you want.
Every console manufacturer has its skeletons in the closet, but the stuff MS gets away with without being called out on it publicly in a timely fashion is astonishing. RROD, Fifa hacks and now this, even if it's just an isolated incident.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Has there been any press for this incident? Of course OP would need to agree to share his story, but if you post it on GAF, you might as well go bigger and maybe get the result you want.
Every console manufacturer has its skeletons in the closet, but the stuff MS gets away with without being called out on it publicly in a timely fashion is astonishing. RROD, Fifa hacks and now this, even if it's just an isolated incident.

This has happened before, has had press before, has been addressed before. It's not anything new in the general sense of the story. Doubt op is the only one that it happened to with Halo 4 either, but the story hasn't really reemerged in relation to Halo 4.

video game journalists are too busy eating doritos and going on all expense paid trips to the Bahamas to see the latest Need for Speed game to do some actual journalism.

Mikor

I still can't believe OP rewarded Microsoft banning him for playing a game he legally bought by buying another system, almost disgusting to even think he'd do such a thing

It's why I'm taking an observer's role in the thread now after participating the last time this was on the front page. Clearly the OP is far too invested in the 360 platform to turn his back completely. Understandable, too - I have over $500 invested in XBLA alone, saying "no more" after my 3rd RROD wasn't easy.

Respawn

Banned

Same way you hate a king but cant speak about him publicly. No matter how anyone twist and turns it they all kiss Microsoft's ass [gaming media]. Never will you will see questions asked here on GAF asked by the media. Poster mentioned well all his friends and games are there. So what? If a woman is abused by her husband should she stay there because her clothes and bed are there? OP if your going to not make a stand then don't make a thread.

I'm an expert

It's why I'm taking an observer's role in the thread now after participating the last time this was on the front page. Clearly the OP is far too invested in the 360 platform to turn his back completely. Understandable, too - I have over $500 invested in XBLA alone, saying "no more" after my 3rd RROD wasn't easy.

Right, but buying a new console won't get back the op's purchases that he can no longer access. Those are banned. Much different than an RROD. He essentially started from scratch again, willingly. I think he said he wouldn't make any more digital purchases from here on, but assuming he bought the system to play online again, that means he also activated a brand new Live account and paid for that too.

faust666

I haven't noticed anyone in this thread offering up any reasonable alternative solutions to enforcing street dates that don't involve customers ratting out the retailer, so Microsoft's solution must be the only viable one.

I'm an expert

I haven't noticed anyone in this thread offering up any reasonable alternative solutions to enforcing street dates that don't involve customers ratting out the retailer, so Microsoft's solution must be the only viable one.

The only viable one for them, which is all they care about.

Wedge7

Such Bullshit that this still hasnt been dealt with.

Lol at that Halo guy coming in at the very beginning and "taking care of it", what a load of crap.

people want it for the online mode. Disable online mode/game achievements/savegame before street date. If you modify your console date while staying offline, the achievements won't count properly. Online mode whitelisted and blocked in the same manner.

Doable with some coding hoops.

But what they're going after is modders, and they gun everything on sight not in whitelist.

faust666

people want it for the online mode. Disable online mode/game achievements/savegame before street date. If you modify your console date while staying offline, the achievements won't count properly. Online mode whitelisted and blocked in the same manner.

Doable with some coding hoops.

But what they're going after is modders, and they gun everything on sight not in whitelist.

That does nothing to protect retailers interests. If you allow them to go wild west with the street dates someone is getting screwed whether it be the furthest from the shipping depot or the lowest on the delivery totem pole.

That does nothing to protect retailers interests. If you allow them to go wild west with the street dates someone is getting screwed whether it be the furthest from the shipping depot or the lowest on the delivery totem pole.

No, but it does make owning the game early pointless in many ways.

And yeah, I was totally into the argument that there must be no leaks with street dates. But as long as it's "secretly" sold it's alright imo (since that would happen either way for in-store people, family & friends of the manager). If they suspect a retail store, give someone the money to buy the game from that store. If he succeeds, he keeps the game and the retailer is in trouble

They normally only sell pre-release to trusted clients who would buy it from them either way, so it doesn't really affect the other retailers.

lexi

Banned
Update:

Excuse the amount of 'apparently' and 'allegedly'

So, Microsoft want a receipt to prove the game is legitimate. The OP apparently hasn't been able to supply enough proof that the game is legitimate... I believe the implication was he Photoshopped a photo of the receipt or something, possibly to blur out the name of the retailer.

Apparently he's been contacted several times about this, and has been described as being allegedly 'uncooperative'. Without a photo of an unaltered receipt, there is no further action that will be taken, the account and console will remained banned.

That's basically the gist of it, I had a good friend of mine take this on to find out the details, and I'd like to not involve them any further, they did this as a huge favor to me. I'm not sure if any of this information has actually been seen / understood by the OP, but essentially, a picture of an unaltered receipt is what is required for this issue to proceed any further.

Update:

So, Microsoft want a receipt to prove the game is legitimate. The OP apparently hasn't been able to supply enough proof that the game is legitimate... I believe the implication was he Photoshopped a photo of the receipt or something, possibly to blur out the name of the retailer.

Apparently he's been contacted several times about this, and has been described as being allegedly 'uncooperative'. Without a photo of an unaltered receipt, there is no further action that will be taken, the account and console will remained banned.

That's basically the gist of it, I had a good friend of mine take this on to find out the details, and I'd like to not involve them any further, they did this as a huge favor to me. I'm not sure if any of this information has actually been seen / understood by the OP, but essentially, a picture of an unaltered receipt is what is required for this issue to proceed any further.

Well, so they want him to rat away someone so he gets fired? The photo was posted here on the 26th of October... the photo of the game, that is. They just want heads to roll for this matter it seems. And I can understand why he was "uncooperative". For a personal favor, an employee of a store would be fired and fined/prosecuted.

Try to send a picture of the receipt with stuff on top of the important details, such as employee /shop

JABEE

Why? All media people have to do about their accounts getting hacked is make a tweet about it and wait 30 seconds for Major Nelson to unban the account. No problem for them, no reason to write or talk about it.

I mentioned in this thread earlier that is doesn't matter what the situation was, MS could BAN you for anything, even if your GT is "BlueBerryPie" and they see it as a violation of the TOS. You, as the consumer gave up your rights by clicking "I accept" If you guys don't like the TOS, don't use their service, or hit up your local congress man. TOS and EULA are the dumbest things this corporations get away with. And consumers, in general, blinding accept this terms without knowing what they just accepted.

And? Didn't they do the wrong thing?

To Microsoft, yes. To everyone else no. If I'm a client for 10 years (exaggerated example) on a store and the clerks knows me since he started working there, I come regularly to the store and buy lots of stuff and ask it as a personal favor so he risks his job over it... ratting him out for a console/profile is a LOW hit.

quickwhips

I like how this is becoming a snitches gets stiches kind of thing. Guy should show receipt or he doesn't have ground to stand on.

MYeager

except it would make someone jobless and fined most likely.

It's the responsibility of the retailer to not break a street date agreement with Microsoft, if they chose to make deal with a customer to go around that agreement then they should be accepting of the consequences of that action. Microsoft has every right to ask for an unaltered proof of purchase to verify the legitimacy of the purchase, if the OP is not willing to provide that proof because of fear that he will get someone who did him a favor in trouble, then that is his choice to do so.

Something like this would be the worst thing to get fired over, since OP has another 360 I wouldn't bother if the store and employee needs to get outed.

pompidu

I like how this is becoming a snitches gets stiches kind of thing. Guy should show receipt or he doesn't have ground to stand on.

Guy doesn't have to show jack. I imagine MS can detect a pirated copy of a game. If his game is pirated, ban should stay. If it wasn't, his ban should be lifted.

urfe

Update:

This sounds like he made a choice. Buy a new console over ratting out the retailer (which is a small business he has a good relationship with).

If those were his only two choices, then I think it's a respectful choice, and would be a little uncooperative to Microsoft myself.

Hopefully OP doesn't by Microsoft's next console. The 360 he obviously has a financial investment in.

I'm an expert

Guy doesn't have to show jack. I imagine MS can detect a pirated copy of a game. If his game is pirated, ban should stay. If it wasn't, his ban should be lifted.

You imagine wrong. Been talked about already in this thread.

The press won't touch it because the OP is hiding information.

Sanic

Would someone mind summing up why this thread is this long? I read the first couple pages when it was initially posted and it looked like everything was going to be taken care of. What happened?

NM OP has been updated.

Not clear if Frankie got back to him though.

To Microsoft, yes. To everyone else no. If I'm a client for 10 years (exaggerated example) on a store and the clerks knows me since he started working there, I come regularly to the store and buy lots of stuff and ask it as a personal favor so he risks his job over it... ratting him out for a console/profile is a LOW hit.

I'm not even trying to defend Microsoft here. Their job isn't to 'sell' products early to friends, their job is to sell products based on known agreements with suppliers. That employee broke that agreement when they 'sold' the game early. Ergo, they deserve the punishment that comes of this.

Would someone mind summing up why this thread is this long? I read the first couple pages when it was initially posted and it looked like everything was going to be taken care of. What happened?

NM OP has been updated.

Not clear if Frankie got back to him though.

Here, I'll sum it up for you:

receipts.gif

Pezking

So, Microsoft want a receipt to prove the game is legitimate.

Wow. This is intolerable.

Again: It doesn't matter if the OP bought the game legitimately or not. Microsoft obviously had no idea if the OP was playing a legitimate copy or not, and they banned him anyway.

It's a shame that the OP actually did tolerate this terribly policy by buying a new console.

I'm an expert

Again: It doesn't matter if the OP bought the game legitimately or not. Microsoft obviously had no idea if the OP was playing a legitimate copy or not, and they banned him anyway.

It's a shame that the OP actually did tolerate this terribly policy by buying a new console.

Er..it does matter..to Microsoft..the only entity in this situation whose opinion matters. If they want to see it, then that's that. If they want you to produce a unicorn before they reinstate your account, that's that. They can do that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Microsoft is fully aware of all the circumstances in this case. It was fully and properly investigated and reinvestigated. I am not going to comment on this specific case again. However for context, several people who bought legitimate copies of the game very early were temporarily banned, investigated and then subsequently unbanned, appropriately.

That's my last word on this particular case, period.

gatti-man

Really you imagine?

Update:

Expecting MS to take people's word for having a legitimate copy without unaltered receipt sounds reasonable to me. Expecting MS to be all knowing is ridiculous. They investigated in good faith the OP chose not to provide proof so that's that.

pompidu

Microsoft is fully aware of all the circumstances in this case. It was fully and properly investigated and reinvestigated. I am not going to comment on this specific case again. However for context, several people who bought legitimate copies of the game very early were temporarily banned, investigated and then subsequently unbanned, appropriately.

That's my last word on this particular case, period.

Seems to be more to this story. OP don goofed on something else.

I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling.

Wasn't talking to you.

Top Bottom