• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Assassin's Creed 3 screenshots

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I associate Assassins Creed with a kind of exotic vibe...I don't think the feel of these new screens mesh with that conception at all. I'm actually really uninterested. It looks like Red Dead Redemption more than anything.

It's your choice to interpret it that way, but I don't think the AC team ever claimed that showing off "exotic locations" was a goal of the series. Not to mention that "exotic" is subjective depending on where you live.

Cat Party

I don't see why this necessarily looks so out of place. I mean who here knows what regular old townfolk used to wear in this period? We're all used to seeing military figures and statesman, not the rabble.

The game is looking great though. These are bullshots like everything else is, but going outside the cities more seems like it will be a lot of fun.

Myriadis

I love how the focus seems to be more on the wilderness than on the towns, unlike previous AC games. My favorite areas in ACII were the Toscana and Forli with the small, but manageable towns.

rataven

I know you're trying to be sarcastic...but that doesn't look like anything compared to the cities in older AC games.

Architecture style aside, how does it not? The vast majority of AC cities are filled with two to three story buildings and smallish churches and towers. And that's what I see in the shot.

Derrick01

Banned
This game is doing a good job of revitalizing my interest in the series, since the last 2 games were basically expansion packs (I still need to play revelations but I can't muster any will to care about it). It looks really good, and it helps it's set in a time period I'm interested in.

Haunted

Doesn't anyone else think our good old assassin looks kinda retarded in this setting with such similar clothing to the previous games? He's not going to blend in at all is he? :s
What, you mean Ezio wasn't actually invisible walking surrounded by four tarted up courtesans?! The white-robed monks were only in the first game, so they basically ditched realistic blending mechanics three games ago. :p

Doesn't anyone else think our good old assassin looks kinda retarded in this setting with such similar clothing to the previous games? He's not going to blend in at all is he? :s

Eh, suspension of belief. The outfits haven't really meshed with the setting since the first one.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Well shit me. Looks awesome, can't wait for this.

Arnie

This game is doing a good job of revitalizing my interest in the series, since the last 2 games were basically expansion packs (I still need to play revelations but I can't muster any will to care about it). It looks really good, and it helps it's set in a time period I'm interested in.

I'm pretty much at the same point.

I loved 2. Loved it. But Brotherhood and Revelations both felt average and trite to me. I felt both stories could've been combined, and the actual improvements to the core experience was so minimal it could've been a downloadable expansion.

3 looks excellent though, and I'm even warming to the design. I like that they've completely changed how the player traverses the environment to fit the period, rather than just have you climbing these unspectacular structures. Gives me hope for when the series hits present day and beyond.

Should be retitled "new AC3 bullshots"

I mean, I think I'd almost be happy with this in real time for next gen LOL

AmhWa.jpg

Haunted

I associate Assassins Creed with a kind of exotic vibe...I don't think the feel of these new screens mesh with that conception at all. I'm actually really uninterested. It looks like Red Dead Redemption more than anything.
What do you mean, Boston is much farther away from where I live than Jerusalem, Rome or Constantinople. This is the most exotic and remote locale yet. :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What, you mean Ezio wasn't actually invisible walking surrounded by four tarted up courtesans?! The white-robed monks were only in the first game, so they basically ditched realistic blending mechanics three games ago. :p

We need maids.
ecmJO.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks awesome. I have a lot of gripes with the series, but I can't deny their ability to bring historic locations to life. The new setting is totally cool with me, I can't wait to lose myself in those environments.

No need to play it, if you were disappointed that Brotherhood was just an expansion then Revelations (and it's regressions) will put you off even more.

Waiting till 3 so the feeling is fresh and has a nice novelty is better then slogging through Revelations just for the small things it does well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Looks great.

As for the outfit not fitting the setting at all, I agree, but they kind of have to stick to the iconic assassin outfit for their promo materials. I bet the custom costumes you can buy will have options more suitable to the setting with furs and brown leathers and all that.

jett

D-Member

The only game he ever blended in was in the first one. He's looked ridiculous and out of place in all the others.

Daft_Cat

It's your choice to interpret it that way, but I don't think the AC team ever claimed that showing off "exotic locations" was a goal of the series. Not to mention that "exotic" is subjective depending on where you live.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

Architecture style aside, how does it not? The vast majority of AC cities are filled with two to three story buildings and smallish churches and towers. And that's what I see in the shot.

It's just the architecture, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a bit of a history buff (hence my love for this franchise); the architecture in the colonies was all built from the ground up in a short period of time, representing very few styles (none of which are all that far removed from modernity). The other locales felt like they had a real age to them.

I don't doubt this will be a "great" game, whatever that means in the objective sense. I'm just not getting that same historical sense of scale from the screenshots. Going from Crusade-era Jerusalem and Renaissance Italy, to pre-indepenence Boston? You lose some of the historical grandeur. At least that's how it strikes me. If that's not important to you, or if your aesthetics are different, then it won't be an issue.

GQman2121

Banned
Very nice.

I mean it's clearly the PC version but the console versions have always looked nice.

Hopefully they get the PS3 version running properly. Because 1 and 2 ran like ass on it.

I skipped Revelations and Britherhood but will most likely pick this up.
I thought the second ran perfectly fine on the ps3. Did people really have issues?

Top Bottom