• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

cj_iwakura
Banned
(02-04-2017, 06:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Massicot

Well, OTs were moved to being from 2 weeks before announce to 1-2ish days to prevent them from being meaningless hype chambers...and that seems to be exactly what that thread has become. Though, maybe that's okay? My initial take is that I really don't like it though. I could be convinced that it's fine, however.

CJ right about your post is one of the guys listed for its OT, so I wonder what his take on it is. Like, why make another OT if you've already got that.

I was just going to help, but mcz's doing it solo now. Personally, I don't object, though I sure didn't expect that much work to go into a hype thread, heh.
Cornbread78
(02-04-2017, 06:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Coreda

What is the official position on threads like this one? It's an OT in everything but name and exists mainly to build hype a month prior to release. Given the OT rules changed to make them a day prior to release it seems like a way of bypassing the restriction by calling it something else. Would be interested in thoughts about it.

And locked...... lol.
BRSxIgnition
(02-04-2017, 08:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Coreda

What is the official position on threads like this one? It's an OT in everything but name and exists mainly to build hype a month prior to release. Given the OT rules changed to make them a day prior to release it seems like a way of bypassing the restriction by calling it something else. Would be interested in thoughts about it.

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I was just going to help, but mcz's doing it solo now. Personally, I don't object, though I sure didn't expect that much work to go into a hype thread, heh.

Originally Posted by Cornbread78

And locked...... lol.

I'm trying to get a follow up on this actually, since I didn't know who to get in touch with to have it undone. (Sent a few messages to mods but I've received no responses.)

It was designed to be like this Gravity Rush 2 thread, and this Yakuza 0 thread to encourage support of the game since it's kinda flying under so many radars.

It was never intended to be an OT for its launch - while I'd love to do that, I already knew that's being made by someone else. I just wanted it to look good and I guess I may have gone a bit overboard?

Can this be undone, and the thread reopened? The Yakuza and Gravity Rush threads remained open, so surely this can too?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Last edited by BRSxIgnition; 02-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Cornbread78
(02-04-2017, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by BRSxIgnition

It was never intended to be an OT for its launch - while I'd love to do that, I already knew that's being made by someone else. I just wanted it to look good and I guess I may have gone a bit overboard?.

It looks too much like an OT, because well, it's got everything an OT would.

Generally, the community hyped for the gangregate in a specific thread (usually a beta thread, etc) until the OT opens a few hours before the game launches.

The threads you mentioned have a different theme to them, so it has to be titled and LOOK like a regular discussion thread. Titles like "What are you looking forward to the most in Neir" Why is Neir a must-buy for you? "Who else is hyped for Neir" would work, but you have to follow up in the OP with comments and examples/images facts that are specific to your title and leave it at that.

tl;dr, you're thread looked like and read like an OT, with all of the info of an OT, so be general and stick to specific topic/theme.
BRSxIgnition
(02-04-2017, 03:54 PM)

tl;dr, you're thread looked like and read like an OT, with all of the info of an OT, so be general and stick to specific topic/theme.

A good deal of the text in my thread is aiming to convince people to buy the game, rather than be an OT for it. The Trailer/Gallery/GIF etc sections are simply to provide material from the game to that end.

What information should be removed for the thread to be unlocked?

It's odd - I went through the Gravity Rush and Yakuza hype threads and specifically took notes on what they mentioned, then placed that same information (header-wise) for NieR into mine. I honestly don't know why the line was drawn here, when neither of those previous threads have been locked.

If it's simply a matter of removing "OT" information, let me know how much it needs to be dumbed down and it'll happen.

The threads you mentioned have a different theme to them, so it has to be titled and LOOK like a regular discussion thread. Titles like "What are you looking forward to the most in Neir" Why is Neir a must-buy for you? "Who else is hyped for Neir" would work, but you have to follow up in the OP with comments and examples/images facts that are specific to your title and leave it at that.

As mentioned above, it has the same title (barring the game name) and theme as the Gravity Rush 2 thread which remained un-closed until an actual OT existed. I directly copied much of the format from that too. (How to convince people to try the game, what to cover, etc.)

This one was locked simply because it looked too official in comparison? Surely it can be kept open until an actual OT is made? I can put a disclaimer saying it's not an OT, if it's really that important.

EDIT (2/4/2017): Due to lack of response from all parties involved, I am reposting the thread with added emphasis on its purpose (Awareness) and its status as a NON-OT Thread.

If anything still needs to be removed to make it more 'specific', please let me know here.
Last edited by BRSxIgnition; 02-05-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(02-05-2017, 02:40 AM)

A good deal of the text in my thread is aiming to convince people to buy the game, rather than be an OT for it. The Trailer/Gallery/GIF etc sections are simply to provide material from the game to that end.

It's odd - I went through the Gravity Rush and Yakuza hype threads and specifically took notes on what they mentioned, then placed that same information (header-wise) for NieR into mine. I honestly don't know why the line was drawn here, when neither of those previous threads have been locked.

If it's simply a matter of removing "OT" information, let me know how much it needs to be dumbed down and it'll happen.

As mentioned above, it has the same title (barring the game name) and theme as the Gravity Rush 2 thread which remained un-closed until an actual OT existed. I directly copied much of the format from that too. (How to convince people to try the game, what to cover, etc.)

This one was locked simply because it looked too official in comparison? Surely it can be kept open until an actual OT is made? I can put a disclaimer saying it's not an OT, if it's really that important.

EDIT (2/4/2017): Due to lack of response from all parties involved, I am reposting the thread with added emphasis on its purpose (Awareness) and its status as a NON-OT Thread.

If anything still needs to be removed to make it more 'specific', please let me know here.

Thread got locked again. Considering you did not get juniored after this 2nd attempt basically means do not push your luck again a third time.

It should be pretty obvious why it got locked the first time. Putting it up again a 2nd time was not the smartest idea esp when you did not get any sort of response back from the mods.

There is not much we can do here for you as its something you will need to work out with the mods. As its their decision on what does / does not stay open.
Mediking
(02-05-2017, 02:49 AM)

Originally Posted by TheMoon

I'll chime in since I happen to be here right now. The OT I cared most about was the Xenoblade 3D OT. That involved digging up all the available ancillary materials such as Iwata Asks interviews, music performances, gameplay tips/breakdowns/user guides from the original release and anticipating FAQs that did come up concerning the re-release and game in general.

For an OT for a new release like my Xenoblade X OT, it was more about maintaining and updating it with tips and info from players in the thread after going through the similar research basic FAQ material. The player-tip updates can be seen in OT2. Both OTs were very very active and lively at the time so keeping up with them can be really really time consuming. Especially if you hadn't have much time to play the game yourself yet and don't want to get spoiled accidentally :)

In general, most of the work in OTs that I happen to make goes into collecting info one might want to know before or upon getting the game and getting it right. Later, it becomes about maintaining it with whatever develops in the community (multiplayer info, patches/game updates/DLC info).

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

If you don't really care, you probably shouldn't do it.

Hahahah I almost afraid to make an OT for something I really care about because I think I would lose focus and get too emotional.

I didn't really wanna jump in this... but I gotta say that you have the potential to make a really awesome OT. Just play by the rules and let this thing go. Don't wanna see you get juniored when you obviously have the skills to make a good thread. So just let this go.
Massicot
(02-05-2017, 03:14 AM)
I think it would have been fine if it was just formatted not so identically to an OT.
LowParry
(02-05-2017, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by miku

Tekken 7 by miku (23rd January 2017)

Release on June 2nd 2017

TekkenGAF would probably kill me XD

At the very least, reach out to TekkenGAF on feedback. Make us proud. :D
Roo
(02-05-2017, 04:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Thread got locked again. Considering you did not get juniored after this 2nd attempt basically means do not push your luck again a third time.

It should be pretty obvious why it got locked the first time. Putting it up again a 2nd time was not the smartest idea esp when you did not get any sort of response back from the mods.

There is not much we can do here for you as its something you will need to work out with the mods. As its their decision on what does / does not stay open.

Basically this. Don't push it. You might get juniored if you try again.
Cornbread78
(02-05-2017, 04:18 AM)

I think it would have been fine if it was just formatted not so identically to an OT.

This is what I was saying earlier.....

Originally Posted by Roo

And now is solid advice in your situation. Let it go for now if you're not sure.
arbok26
(02-05-2017, 04:55 AM)

I thought it was a really great thread and opening post, but it does look like an OT. For a start, in the Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 threads, there aren't any headings like Characters, Images, GIF Gallery etc, and the opening post reads a bit like a FAQ. The Yakuza 0 one is kinda basic, the Gravity Rush 2 one edges closer to an OT, but still set out more like a FAQ. The Nier opening post might just have been too close to an OT. There is some merit in reading a new OT just before the day comes out, like opening presents on Christmas Days. I didn't know that extended to the 'look' of a thread but I get that. I like the idea of a 'preview' thread for games, especially when its a game you've only just heard about and are after more info to decide on purchasing. I live in a rural area in Malaysia so preordering using an online shop is important to me to ensure a physical copy.
BRSxIgnition
(02-05-2017, 08:19 AM)

I changed it based on the little feedback I got, but the reasoning has been explained to me by a kind mod, so I understand more of why they did it.

Originally Posted by Mediking

I didn't really wanna jump in this... but I gotta say that you have the potential to make a really awesome OT. Don't wanna see you get juniored when you obviously have the skills to make a good thread.

Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by Mediking

So just let this go.

Originally Posted by Roo

And now is solid advice in your situation. Let it go for now if you're not sure.

I wasn't ever planning on trying a third time - I legitimately thought I fixed enough with it the second time, but the situation has since been explained to me by a moderator, and I understand their reasoning.

Originally Posted by arbok26

I thought it was a really great thread and opening post, but it does look like an OT. For a start, in the Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 threads, there aren't any headings like Characters, Images, GIF Gallery etc, and the opening post reads a bit like a FAQ. The Yakuza 0 one is kinda basic, the Gravity Rush 2 one edges closer to an OT, but still set out more like a FAQ. The Nier opening post might just have been too close to an OT. There is some merit in reading a new OT just before the day comes out, like opening presents on Christmas Days. I didn't know that extended to the 'look' of a thread but I get that.

I can see how it was structured differently, but honestly that was just me catering more towards my strengths and the game I was trying to spread. We don't know enough about NieR Automata for me to write long paragraphs of information on it like the Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza threads.

Originally Posted by arbok26

I like the idea of a 'preview' thread for games, especially when its a game you've only just heard about and are after more info to decide on purchasing. I live in a rural area in Malaysia so preordering using an online shop is important to me to ensure a physical copy.

While I understand what you mean, the main issue - as explained to me by a member of the mod team - was that these "preview"/hype/awareness threads are becoming a trend that they don't like seeing. (They went as far as saying that if they went back, the Yakuza and Gravity Rush 2 threads would likely also be locked)

The main idea is that - at least this far out - discussion should be in a series of separate, news based threads that can come and go, rather than a single thread where all news gets thrown in and lost, and I can definitely understand that.

If only this reasoning was given the first time, I wouldn't have even tried with a second thread.
Last edited by BRSxIgnition; 02-05-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Cornbread78
(02-06-2017, 01:21 PM)
Ys Origin (PS4/Vita) by Cornbread78 ( February 2nd 2017 )
February 21 (NA & EU)

Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey by Cornbread78 ( February 2nd 2017 )
March 7 (NA), March 10 (EU)
Last edited by Cornbread78; 02-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Volcynika
(02-06-2017, 01:55 PM)
It's Origin! Origin! >:(
Cornbread78
(02-06-2017, 02:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Volcynika

It's Origin! Origin! >:(

Whoa, whoa, my bad! lol.
Xe4
(02-06-2017, 06:29 PM)
[OT] Samurai Jack Season 5 by Xe4 (6th February 2017)
Release date: March 11th, 2017 11:00 PM ET
Last edited by Xe4; 02-06-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: February, not January
Toa TAK
Ask me about Thor 2: The Dark World
(02-07-2017, 12:44 AM)
[OT] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales by Toa TAK (6th February 2017)

Out May 26, 2017
Teriyaki Blues
(02-07-2017, 05:04 AM)
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns by Teriyaki Blues (February 6th, 2017)

Release Date: February 28th, 2017 (NA)
Last edited by Teriyaki Blues; 04-19-2017 at 08:37 AM.
BRSxIgnition
(02-07-2017, 06:27 PM)
|OT| Claim Update:

NieR:Automata by mcz117chief and BRSxIgnition (7th February 2017)

Release Date: February 23rd, 2017 (JP), March 7th, 2017 (NA), March 10th, 2017 (EU)

(Offered & Accepted via PM - Confirmation sent to Nemesis_ by mcz117chief)
Last edited by BRSxIgnition; 02-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Parakeetman
(02-08-2017, 05:33 PM)
Oh good can expect great things from the Nier OT then.
valentine71
(02-10-2017, 08:10 PM)
Hey guys, I am doing the Torment' s thread. Is there anyone who wants to collaborate? I can use help with visuals especially.
dancrane212
(02-11-2017, 11:45 AM)
Releasing Feb 24th.

Hollow Knight by dancrane212 (February 11th, 2017)
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(02-15-2017, 05:10 AM)
Has anyone claimed FFVII remake yet? Probably. I'd like to if nobody has though.

While we're reaching for future games, I'll claim Death Stranding too, assuming nobody has.

Also Fire Emblem Switch.

Will update this post with proper formatting if none of these are taken
TheMoon
(02-15-2017, 08:27 AM)

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

Has anyone claimed FFVII remake yet? Probably. I'd like to if nobody has though.

While we're reaching for future games, I'll claim Death Stranding too, assuming nobody has.

Also Fire Emblem Switch.

Will update this post with proper formatting if none of these are taken

You missed the part where there's a 1 year limit before the release. You can't claim any of these yet.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(02-15-2017, 10:05 AM)

You missed the part where there's a 1 year limit before the release. You can't claim any of these yet.

...damn.

I'll be back.
Cornbread78
(02-15-2017, 11:59 AM)

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

...damn.

I'll be back.

They always come back, lol
Last edited by Cornbread78; 02-22-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Cerium
(02-16-2017, 10:31 PM)
Snake Pass by Cerium (16th February 2017)

Release Date: March 28th, 2017 (NA)
Last edited by Cerium; 02-16-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Roo
(02-16-2017, 10:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Cerium

[OT] Snake Pass by Cerium (16th February 2017)

Release Date: March 28th, 2017 (NA)

*[OT]* means it is an Off-Topic thread.
It isn't necessary in your case.
Parakeetman
(02-18-2017, 03:09 AM)

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy Parakeetman (18th November 2015)

May 16th 2017 - US / EU for Vita and Steam

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy Parakeetman (18th November 2015)

March 27th 2017 - US / EU for Steam

Went and updated these with the official release dates out now.

---

Actually scrap that, would rather see the Ys VIII OT go to one of the hardcore fans here on GAF.
Last edited by Parakeetman; 02-18-2017 at 03:46 AM.
dancrane212
(02-20-2017, 12:04 AM)

Originally Posted by daydream

I'm unclaiming the Night in the Woods OT, it's free for the taking.

Guess I'll do it then; game releases this Tuesday.

Night in the Woods by dancrane212 (February 19th, 2017)
Tizoc
(02-20-2017, 10:40 AM)
[OT] Styx: Shards of Darkness by Tizoc (19 Feb. 2017)
Releasing on 14 March 2017
nightstalker962
(02-21-2017, 12:44 AM)
Playstation Experience 2017 by nightstalker962 (February 20th, 2017)

December 2017

Didn't see a claim for this. Mod seemed cool with it.
Auctopus
(02-21-2017, 04:13 PM)
Currently in the midst of making an OT3, how do you do a wall of shame (who posted the most) again?
Coreda
(02-21-2017, 04:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Auctopus

Currently in the midst of making an OT3, how do you do a wall of shame (who posted the most) again?

Click the Replies counter link (beside the Views column) when viewing the thread on the board list. It opens the Who Posted popup.
Snaku
Sperm Receptacle
(02-21-2017, 06:43 PM)
[OT] KONG: Skull Island by Snaku (21st February 2017)

Out March 10, 2017
Last edited by Snaku; 02-21-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Sumio Mondo
(02-21-2017, 06:56 PM)
[OT] Twin Peaks Season 3 by Sumio Mondo (21st February 2017)

Releases May 21, 2017
Last edited by Sumio Mondo; 02-21-2017 at 07:05 PM.
MMarston
(02-22-2017, 02:10 AM)
Nobody's claiming it soo...

[OT] Logan by MMarston (21st February 2017)

Releases March 3, 2017
Last edited by MMarston; 02-22-2017 at 05:27 AM.
·feist·
(02-22-2017, 05:30 AM)
AMD Ryzen CPU by ·feist· (22nd February 2017)

For most regions:
NDA lift: 25th-28th February 2017
Sale Date: 2nd March 2017
MMarston
(02-22-2017, 08:13 AM)
Off-topic OT question:

Is there a timeframe guideline for movies? The dating of various threads I've seen are all over the place, spanning from 1 week to day of release.
Parakeetman
(02-22-2017, 08:17 AM)

Originally Posted by MMarston

Off-topic OT question:

Is there a timeframe guideline for movies? The dating of various threads I've seen are all over the place, spanning from 1 week to day of release.

Thats a good question... Not sure honestly as the mods generally seem to differ for the gaming vs offtopic side. You might want to ask one of the OT centric mods directly and see what they say to be the safest.
Dystify
(02-23-2017, 06:30 PM)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread by Dystify (23rd February 2017)

Date of topic: February 24th, 2017.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Review Thread by Dystify (23rd February 2017)

Date of topic: March 2nd, 2017.
Last edited by Dystify; 02-23-2017 at 09:22 PM.
DarthButcher
(02-23-2017, 09:40 PM)
Has-Been Heroes by DarthButcher (23 February 2017)

Releases March 28th, 2017
Skux
(02-27-2017, 05:50 PM)
Middle-earth: Shadow of War by Skux (28 February 2017)

Releases 22 August, 2017
Last edited by Skux; 02-27-2017 at 05:52 PM.
DarthButcher
(02-27-2017, 07:16 PM)
Super Bomberman R by DarthButcher (27 February 2017)

Releases March 3rd, 2017

Jk, already claimed
Last edited by DarthButcher; 02-28-2017 at 08:09 AM.
maxcriden
(02-27-2017, 07:44 PM)

Originally Posted by DarthButcher

Super Bomberman R by DarthButcher (27 February 2017)

Releases March 3rd, 2017

Camjo-Z has this one claimed:

Originally Posted by Camjo-Z

Super Bomberman R by Camjo-Z (14th January 2017)

Out March 3rd.

But I imagine he would be open to collaboration if you contact him!
TheMoon
(02-27-2017, 10:02 PM)
This is why we want people to read the OP (and use CTRL+F) :P
Camjo-Z
(02-28-2017, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by maxcriden

Camjo-Z has this one claimed:

But I imagine he would be open to collaboration if you contact him!

Two people making one OT? Whoa, that's big! WHAAAAAT?
DarthButcher
(02-28-2017, 01:11 AM)

This is why we want people to read the OP (and use CTRL+F) :P

I am a blind man that cannot see things in front of my eyes apparently.

I did this and apparnelty must have typo'd Bomberman because it showed 0 of 0. Whoopsie!
TheMoon
(02-28-2017, 08:46 AM)

Originally Posted by DarthButcher

I am a blind man that cannot see things in front of my eyes apparently.

I did this and apparnelty must have typo'd Bomberman because it showed 0 of 0. Whoopsie!

Did the konami wisdom get the better of your brain and go "bombaman" ? :D