• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Done with Episode 1. It's alright, I guess. Some of the acting is horrendous. Also has the same problem that a lot of Netflix shows have, desperately needing some cuts.
The bar meet cute hit the same beats over and over without really adding anything new.

These conversations with Ed(I think? the serial killer guy) are fantastic. Almost wouldn't mind if the whole episode was him just talking.

I haven’t watched the show yet but you should check out some of the real life interviews with him (Edmund Kemper.) He’s intense and incredibly intelligent. Think there’s a couple of interviews with him on Youtube.

Episode 1 was good. I can see this being too slow for some people and putting them off but I found the subject matter really interesting. The infancy of criminal psychology in the FBI basically. Its cool seeing how skeptical they all are back then of basic concepts now.

loved that he was using Dog Day Afternoon as a teaching tool

Plus Fincher can make anything look good, instantly reminded of the way Zodiac and Social Network were shot.

kirblar

1 ep in, the Groff casting is perfect for what they're going for. (brainy guy in the midst of a sea of hypermasculinity)

awcarew

Wow, it looks like Anna Torv was really wanted by someone for this show.

From The West Australian October 10 issue
Australian actress Anna Torv was so thrilled to be considered for a part in the series that she began to immerse herself in Douglas’ world even before her audition.

“I’d actually read the book before I went into the audition,” the 38-year-old Melbourne native recalls by phone from Los Angeles. “Then when I got the part I really got into it, I think there was a week where I really dug deep … then I just went, you know what, I just don’t want to read about this stuff anymore, so I took a step back.”

Olivia Dunham is GOAT and Finch knows it.

berzeli

Banned
So far it's the best new Netflix drama show in quite a while.

I did have a fairly big holy shit moment in the pre-credits for episode 4 when
I realised it was the BTK killer we've been following. It didn't click for me until then.

So is this 100% based on reality? Because I'm on episode 9 and they come across a case that's based in a town right by where I live.

Adairsville Ga

Edit.. it was

Logistic

I'm ~30 mins into the first episode and it's pretty rough. This acting is terrible and very stiff. I feel like the main character is a puppet.

blackflag

So far it's the best new Netflix drama show in quite a while.

I did have a fairly big holy shit moment in the pre-credits for episode 4 when
I realised it was the BTK killer we've been following. It didn't click for me until then.

ok i only watched 2 but they were
postal workers and one called the other Dennis i was like uhhhh thats BTK.

Shy

SON OF A BITCH.

I thought this was premiering tomorrow.

Could have been half way through the series by now. Ah well.

ahoyle77

I've watched 6 episodes today. Never done that for a Netflix series before. Ozarks while good is too slow to me. This is more interesting. My second favorite Netflix series behind Stranger Things.

Is Fincher committed to more than one season?

Froxenblade

Neo Member
Ha, I've got the last episode of Bloodline to finally watch tonight. But from everything I've seen so far, the show's drop in quality in the second and third seasons has little if anything to do with how Netflix handled the show and everything to do with
the showrunners removing the single most compelling character after the first season. The show is just not nearly as interesting without Danny compared to when he's in it.

That's a big part of it, for sure. But an equal part it that the showrunners were planning for more than 3 seasons, and the timing of Netflix's decision to cancel forced them to scramble to finish in 3. It's obvious when you notice how many plot threads are left unresolved, and how many new plotlines start to open in the last few episodes of season 3. I completely agree with you, though, that reason for the show's decline just amplified every season beyond the first, so who knows how bad subsequent seasons would have been anyhow.

Update on Mindhunters: I'm a couple episodes in and really digging it. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Stiler

Loving the show so far, right up there with Ozark for this years surprise hit shows (If you haven't seen Ozark it's a must imo, if you like good crime/thriller shows).

It's nice seeing Holt McCallany getting some good mainstream work (he was the one who uttered the famous "His name is Robert Paulsen" line from Fight Club).

Blader

Man you guys weren't kidding, the acting in the first episode is really horrible. Still, there's something intriguing about it that keeps me wanting to watch more.

That's a big part of it, for sure. But an equal part it that the showrunners were planning for more than 3 seasons, and the timing of Netflix's decision to cancel forced them to scramble to finish in 3. It's obvious when you notice how many plot threads are left unresolved, and how many new plotlines start to open in the last few episodes of season 3. I completely agree with you, though, that reason for the show's decline just amplified every season beyond the first, so who knows how bad subsequent seasons would have been anyhow.

Just finished Bloodline tonight and thought the finale actually wrapped up things pretty well enough, all things considered. Definitely rushed though. I also don't know what they were thinking wasting their penultimate episode on a series of redundant
dream sequences, visions, whatever you want to call them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
itt people confuse character acting with bad acting

Fincher’s one of the best character directors of this time too. The way he was able to get Tyler Perry to not stick out like a sore thumb in Gone Girl along with the female lead performances in GG and TGWTDT.

Alastor3

Why? It's not a mystery series or anything with unanswered questions. It's a period character piece about the origins of the FBI's serial killer unit and the cases they encounter over the decades.

I like watching my series in one go, otherwise I forgot about the plot, the characters and I need to rewatch the previous seasons when a new one come out.

Unless the seasons are really different than one another like True Detective or something.

duckroll

I like watching my series in one go, otherwise I forgot about the plot, the characters and I need to rewatch the previous seasons when a new one come out.

Unless the seasons are really different than one another like True Detective or something.

The plot is "people doing their job". It's not a mystery thriller. All the cases are historical. It's about FBI agents interviewing serial killers and learning about criminal psychology.

Dalek

I always love attitudes like this. People won’t watch a show until it’s cancelled. Then they watch it and say “this show was great-why was it cancelled?”

Because people like you weren’t watching.

Saw the first two episodes. I was immediately pulled in with the first one, and the second just wouldn't let me go.

I love slow burns like this.

Top Bottom