• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

Mael said:
hey thanks, you can be helpful when you want to.

It's funny how you ignore the large, multiple paragraph posts I made trying to helpfully explain why your position is overblown. I'd apologize for making the jokes because they obviously distracted you from your very intense analysis of the issue, but I'm not actually sorry and I think they're hilarious.

Mael

hardcastle_mccormick said:
It's funny how you ignore the large, multiple paragraph posts I made trying to helpfully explain why your position is overblown. I'd apologize for making the jokes because they obviously distracted you from your very intense analysis of the issue, but I'm not actually sorry and I think they're hilarious.

I'm still pretty sure you misunderstood what I was saying but ok, let's put it in the past.
At least you got something out of it and I'll still check the Q&A if only for the info inside (which can be really interesting this topic aside).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mael said:
Well the article actually states that the Galaxy proto doesn't originate from them or something.

Well lets seriously look at the article and the facts. The article claims some type of prototype from an external source was used in Super Mario Galaxy. It does not mention what the prototype is, or any reliable information about it, but then it generalizes (and then do many others) and alludes to the entire Mario Galaxy engine / idea coming from an external source. But seriously, have you played Super Mario Sunshine? Have you ever picked up a mii character and moved him in Mii plaza? Have you seen the E3 2005 videos of Roll-O-Rama / Kirby Tilt N Tumble 2? All of that encompasses Mario Galaxy. I mean.. this external prototype could allude to gravity? or another random mini game or level idea found in the game? And this is an allegation of a small subset of the game. But the mario mechanics. ball rolling mini games. hand slingshot shooting mini games. water based minigames. Have all been used in other EAD products.. years.. and years before.

Mael said:
Well yeah but he's usually seen as the one directing the Zelda games (as such that Spirit Train is his baby when even in interview we can see that's not really the case).Still they're all collaborative efforts so we should be talking of the teams behind it really.

Well he is really the producer of those games. But an actual-hands on producer who works closely with his Group No.3 (planning staff). Again, Aonuma is locked in a room with his 40-50 chosen designers working on 2 games at a time. It is hard to say he is not a 24/7 centrifugal development force on his games.

Mael

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well lets seriously look at the article and the facts. The article claims some type of prototype from an external source was used in Super Mario Galaxy. It does not mention what the prototype is, or any reliable information about it, but then it generalizes (and then do many others) and alludes to the entire Mario Galaxy engine / idea coming from an external source. But seriously, have you played Super Mario Sunshine? Have you ever picked up a mii character and moved him in Mii plaza? Have you seen the E3 2005 videos of Roll-O-Rama / Kirby Tilt N Tumble 2? All of that encompasses Mario Galaxy. I mean.. this external prototype could allude to gravity? or another random mini game or level idea found in the game? And this is an allegation of a small subset of the game.

Again good points, before this article I assumed that what you're refering was really what you're saying.
Now it's making me recheck the whole thing (but I can't now because I don't have access to youtube or my wii or anything really).
I mean there's no harm in actually checking (and as for the Q&A, if they didn't mention something outrageous it's really no big deal, heck nobody gives a shit for some shady stuffs MSFT did after all)

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well he is really the producer of those games. But an actual-hands on producer who works closely with his Group No.3 (planning staff). Again, Aonuma is locked in a room with his 40-50 chosen designers working on 2 games at a time. It is hard to say he is not a 24/7 centrifugal development force on his games.
Still for the train inside ST, I've seen argued that it's Aonuma's fault and all that. And well if there's any blame to be put I'd blame the director before Aonuma.
Or even the whole puzzle centric gameplay Zelda is going is probably not only his doing either.
What I mean is I'm not comfortable in just putting his name.

edit : Oh bravo now I'm the 3rd most active poster on the thread -.-'

Mael

I just checked the content of the site....well I would have known the gaming side even existed with the content they're pushing...
Seriously it's not exactly stellar.

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't actually see the need to argue with someone who draws a line in the sand with the argument that Nintendo lied to investors about the 3DS being a DS successor.
Reminds me of a certain poster's regular MO as well.

Boney

Banned
Mael said:
Ok, who's alt am I today -.-'?
that's not what i meant at all

this was more fun when we were discussing avatar's or what today's article is gonna be.

I predict something about Nintendo stealing motion controls from Sony. And that they landed on a goldmine by accident and now that it's over they have no idea what to do.

BurntPork

Banned
So, let's make assumptions of what will be made-up today based on the topic.

Our series on Nintendo continues until the end of the week. Find tomorrow's fourth and penultimate episode devoted to the confrontation model of Nintendo with its (new) competitors, including Apple.

It's going to be really interesting, I bet.

Mael

BurntPork said:
So, let's make assumptions of what will be made-up today based on the topic.

It's going to be really interesting, I bet.
Ok so I guess it's safe to assume they're just full of it now.
Because based on what they could say that could be really BS of the easiest kind to detect.
Now onto Nintendo's financial statements starting in 2009...

This has a very negative spin put on it but looking at the info here, I think this is quite possible. I mean does anyone really believe that Miyamoto never plays other companies games or uses the competitions hardware to get ideas? For example when the PSPGo was shown at E3 Miyamoto was playing it, then some years later 3DS gets an analog slider (albeit refined).

I think a lot of Nintendo's diehard fans forget they are just a bunch of regular people who work at a company, not some limitless perfect resource of games from God. Besides even if what these people are saying were true, whats the big deal? Compared to some of the other rumors about their treatment of third parties and the production of third party games, cart practices in the 80's (and with DS) how Miyamoto treats his underlings, this would be a non issue.

Mael

Only the first question for 1rst fiscal year of 2009 and
Iwata said:

Damnit Iwata! No one buys games to be surprised more than being entertained. How the hell could CoD4 and WaW manage such sales otherwise (or even any copycat from a popular title).

Iwata said:
This year we hope to do well again as we will be launching three ten-million class titles consecutively, and would love to hear that "Holiday 2009 was the best one ever for Nintendo!"
In retrospect....that was good thinking.

Iwata said:
These slides show the estimated population of customers in Japan, U.S. and six major countries in Europe, based on a research of video games involvement among general consumers. There are several groups of people – those who currently play video games, those who think they may want to play them and those who think they never want to play them. As some may change their mind as time goes by, fixed-point observation shows interesting changes. Now you are seeing the data collected in spring this year. Of those who currently play video games (or active users). 53.8 million of them are in Japan, 98.1 million in six major European countries and 143.7 million in the U.S. On top of those people, there are also those who are interested in video games, or who are ready to become active users (or potential users) – 24.6 million of them are in Japan, 71.5 million in Europe and 53.4 million in the U.S. The European market especially has a larger potential, considering the current market size.

For people wondering the difference in treatment between the EU and NA, that might be part of the answer...

Iwata said:
So numerically there is still a possibility to even double the current user population of Wii and DS.
... WTH did you drop both like rocks in 2011 then?

Question said:
Do you have any plans or thoughts about discounting hardware?
Iwata said:
We are attributing the current slowing sales trend of hardware to the difference in sales standard when strong titles launch in the market to when those titles have been in the market a while, and not to the lack of competitiveness due to overvalue pricing or weak product appeal. Thus we are not planning on changing anything on prices right now.
This is pretty telling of the 3DS situation

StevieP

Banned
TheBanditKing said:
This has a very negative spin put on it but looking at the info here, I think this is quite possible. I mean does anyone really believe that Miyamoto never plays other companies games or uses the competitions hardware to get ideas? For example when the PSPGo was shown at E3 Miyamoto was playing it, then some years later 3DS gets an analog slider (albeit refined).

I think a lot of Nintendo's diehard fans forget they are just a bunch of regular people who work at a company, not some limitless perfect resource of games from God. Besides even if what these people are saying were true, whats the big deal? Compared to some of the other rumors about their treatment of third parties and the production of third party games, cart practices in the 80's (and with DS) how Miyamoto treats his underlings, this would be a non issue.

Do you happen to write for 01.net? Just curious.

Mael

Well that was fun, I just received a mail from Nintendo.fr saying that I'll receive the artbook for Xenoblade, you'll excuse while I go celebrate instead of finishing the FY statements...

BurntPork

Banned
Mael said:
Well that was fun, I just received a mail from Nintendo.fr saying that I'll receive the artbook for Xenoblade, you'll excuse while I go celebrate instead of finishing the FY statements...
mass_applause_gif.gif

Mael said:

Thanks the info, the part about potential markets in EU vs NA still doesn't explain why Nintendo Europe thought releasing Xenoblade and the other missing Wii games and NOA did not.

Mael

thanks BurntPork

TheBanditKing said:
Thanks the info about the potential markets in EU vs NA still doesn't explain why Nintendo Europe thought releasing Xenoblade and the other missing Wii games and NOA did not.

Well if NoE is pressured into getting better results, they get more desirable stuffs to spur the market. Still they released Disaster after all, IDK how they worked but it's weird anyway (usually it's the other way round, I mean there's plenty of games NA got and we didn't). After all there's more DS in the EU than in NA so that might be why IDK.

fernoca

TheBanditKing said:
For example when the PSPGo was shown at E3 Miyamoto was playing it, then some years later 3DS gets an analog slider (albeit refined).

But the PSP also had one and he played it. Heck, Miyamoto is given a tour to play/check most things on nearly every E3. Guess the "stealth" parts in Zelda games were from that one time he was shown Assassin's Creed. :p

TheBanditKing said:
That's a bad example. Do you really picture 3DS without a joystick?

Miyamoto plays another stuff, didn't you hear him praise Portal, or say how he wished he did NiGHTs into Dreams or revealing he was a Dreamcast fan? His time and availability window is limited, but he does look at other things when he can.

Then again looking and being somewhat informed is different than ripping out something. He never did a NiGHTS into Dreams clone despite saying:

Miyamoto: If there's one game I regret never creating, it was NIGHTS

But perhaps his constant push for flying in Super Mario 3D games comes from that experience rather than the (clunky) mario 64 experience? Seeing you can now do loops and it feels a lot better in previous games (or maybe that's just evolution). Anywho NiGHTS basis was all about the fun of flying after all and Miyamoto seems to really enjoy trying to go in that direction ("oh noes, Miyamoto wants to ripoff NiGHTS into Dreams", 01net would write). Or perhaps he would get there anyway seeing there was flying in Mario 64 and previous games of his.

Top Bottom