• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Melfice7

just how much of a specific stat i need to have to get the dmg bonus? for example a moonlight sword with 100 dmg S faith bonus, how much faith do i need to have to get the bonus?

Zzoram

Don't know what increments of faith add the next bonus but in general more faith will do more damage if it's an S.

Ferrio

Banned
Melfice7 said:
just how much of a specific stat i need to have to get the dmg bonus? for example a moonlight sword with 100 dmg S faith bonus, how much faith do i need to have to get the bonus?

You always get the bonus. The rating on the bonus is just how much your stat actually helps it. S means your faith effects it *alot* so having a high faith makes that weapon really good.

Melfice7

Ferrio said:
You always get the bonus. The rating on the bonus is just how much your stat actually helps it. S means your faith effects it *alot* so having a high faith makes that weapon really good.

but if i always get the bonus how do i know how much extra dmg or whatever i get for having higher stat?

oracrest

Melfice7 said:
but if i always get the bonus how do i know how much extra dmg or whatever i get for having higher stat?

You just have to be observant of how much damage your causing. A lot of the Demon's Souls mechanics are happening "behind the scenes."

Melfice7

so if i have 40 faith and deal X damage, if i get 50 faith ill get more? it wont stop increasing until 99 or it stops sometime?

Melfice7

there must be 20 people playing the EU version -.- no one summons me and when im alive theres 0 guys to summon

on US version i was invaded every 2 minutes and had blue messages all over O:

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
80 hours in. NG++. Finally got invaded for the very first time. The same guy then invaded my game again 5 minutes later. He killed me both times, but, man, was it fun. And here I was afraid the game was gonna get stale soon.

Deadstar

I'd like to announce that I just got the trophy for getting all of the unique weapons after killing a couple black phantoms yesterday! Yeah! Now to kill the blue dragon and somehow beat the game on NG+. I'm stuck on the boss with the really long sword, I think he's at the end of 1-3. I'm all melee and very slow. I've only fought him a few times but it should be even more insane since it's pure black tendency right now. Any tips?

I have a ton of faith and use mainly second chance and a halberd.

Deadstar said:
I'm stuck on the boss with the really long sword, I think he's at the end of 1-3. I'm all melee and very slow. I've only fought him a few times but it should be even more insane since it's pure black tendency right now. Any tips?
Penetrator.

Have you freed Biorr? He's in 1-2, while the key to release him is in 1-3. He helps out in that fight, distracting the boss so you can pick off his health bit by bit.

Deadstar

Awesome! No I completely forgot about Biorr! Thanks for the tip. I'll free him and see if I can take on the boss. Maneater was ridiculously hard going pure melee. I used second chance 10+ times.

Canova

Banned
Melfice7 said:
there must be 20 people playing the EU version -.- no one summons me and when im alive theres 0 guys to summon

on US version i was invaded every 2 minutes and had blue messages all over O:

U.S players love to to invade, seems like they have pent-up anger issue or something

:lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MidnightRider said:
I've tried to do that a few times..... seems like 4 of them stay at the other end no matter what and I don't have a bow to shoot at them long range.

When I did that part...

You can coax the dragon into killing most of the guys on the bridge. The guys that don't get killed represent the point you need to reach to be safe from the dragon's fire attack... remember that you're impervious to those guys' attacks while rolling. I think my first time through I just hauled ass to that point and rolled past the guys. Then it was a matter of fighting them while my stamina recharged, but at least I was safe from the dragon.

I can't remember if you can make the whole run across the bridge between fire attacks, but I think you can, if you're not wearing too much armor -- able to run at full speed...

Zzoram

canova said:
U.S players love to to invade, seems like they have pent-up anger issue or something

I wouldn't be surprised if American gamers are more aggressive. Afterall, the first person shooter is the most popular genre here, while in Europe football manager and strategy games are on even footing with shooters.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zzoram said:
I wouldn't be surprised if American gamers are more aggressive. Afterall, the first person shooter is the most popular genre here, while in Europe football manager and strategy games are on even footing with shooters.

Madden.

Melfice7

canova said:

i need to kill some bp's on my world or others because my char tendency is pure black :D i forgot to get the friends ring when it was white now i cant change it xD

Zzoram

Melfice7 said:
sure you dont really NEED any of them to finish the game

In that case, I retract my statement about caring that you can accidentally kill NPCs. The only thing I would change is to make Luck increase drops for rare items only, not common items, so it doesn't take beating the game 3+ times to luck into killing the Gecko's and managing to get the pure stones needed to get certain weapon upgrade trophies.

Zzoram said:
Wait, is it possible to beat the game and get to NG+ even if you kill all the Nexus NPCs?

yep. just might have a little more tricky time of it :lol

for the mephistopheles quest i usually wait until i have only 1-4 left to finish

Melfice7

Zzoram said:
In that case, I retract my statement about caring that you can accidentally kill NPCs. The only thing I would change is to make Luck increase drops for rare items only, not common items, so it doesn't take beating the game 3+ times to luck into killing the Gecko's and managing to get the pure stones needed to get certain weapon upgrade trophies.

farm geckos in pure black and with large sword of searching equiped ;)

Zzoram

Melfice7 said:
farm geckos in pure black and with large sword of searching equiped ;)

The problem is you have to get a guide to even find the Geckos, only certain ones can drop pure stones and are the only source of those pure stones, they still don't consistently drop the stones, and if they hear you approaching or you don't kill them in 1 hit, they disappear forever so you can't try again until NG+.

Melfice7

Zzoram said:
and if they hear you approaching or you don't kill them in 1 hit, they disappear forever so you can't try again until NG+.

use bow, thief ring, and geckos start with 1 respawn in every world, you kill them or they escape and its gone until you kill a boss in that world, then they get another respawn, kill 4 bosses they have 5 respawns in that world if you didnt kill any yet

Zzoram

Melfice7 said:
use bow, thief ring, and geckos start with 1 respawn in every world, you kill them or they escape and its gone until you kill a boss in that world, then they get another respawn, kill 4 bosses they have 5 respawns in that world if you didnt kill any yet

IF you don't read a guide in advance so you know exactly where to walk carefully, it's easy to stumble near one and scare it into disappearing before you even know it was there.

Melfice7

Zzoram said:
IF you don't read a guide in advance so you know exactly where to walk carefully, it's easy to stumble near one and scare it into disappearing before you even know it was there.

mm not really only the first playthrough and even only on some geckos

Zzoram

What Dex+bow does it take to 1-shot geckos? Are they much harder to kill in NG+? How many NG+ did it take for you guys to get all the trophies?

Melfice7

i think you need at least 3 NG's because theres some spells/weapons that need the same demon soul, sticky long bow is pretty nice

leroidys

Melfice7 said:
i think you need at least 3 NG's because theres some spells/weapons that need the same demon soul, sticky long bow is pretty nice

But I can't get enough spider stone from geckos for that :lol

Melfice7

the boss from 2-1 drops the pure spiderstone, and miners and geckos in that world drop shards and chunks its not hard at all

bdouble

Zzoram said:
What Dex+bow does it take to 1-shot geckos?
I'm in my first play through and I already have a sticky compound long bow +7. You can easily do it. I kill geckos in 1 shot and octo heads in 2 :)

This is on my very first play through. I have missed some geckos and only cleared and killed bosses in 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 4-1. Most of the chucks come from the miners and dead bodies in 2-x.

edit: oh yeah typo +5

MrWisker

MidnightRider said:
Oh thats awesome! I was hoping they were real time players.

also I don't see how this game can get old to me. I believe I will be playing this one for as long as my PS3 will let me.

Demon Souls will soon come to own you. I started playing my character again last night for the first time in months (soul level 161) and I am feeling the hook again. So much fun playing as a Blue Phantom and helping other people. It is most definitely the game I have played the longest as well. I think I am more then 250 hours over two characters.

Dyno

Is there a Pure Black World Tendancy event coming? I read something a couple pages back but the game is still normal.

Facism

Dyno said:
Is there a Pure Black World Tendancy event coming? I read something a couple pages back but the game is still normal.

I posted in the atlus profit thread, but here it is again:

You need to keep reloading the game because it doesn't go pure black immediately. 3 or 4 reconnects and you should be in business.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
How would you recommend I build a new character? Get to the stats I need to use the long compound bow then max Dex? Alternate Dex and End?

Dex build is the most versatile, most powerful and most popular build in the game. Curved swords and bows, both rely on dex

Zzoram said:
The problem is you have to get a guide to even find the Geckos, only certain ones can drop pure stones and are the only source of those pure stones, they still don't consistently drop the stones, and if they hear you approaching or you don't kill them in 1 hit, they disappear forever so you can't try again until NG+.

I'd like to paraphrase some advice that was given to me on this very thread.

"Demon's Souls doesn't give a fuck about you."

Top Bottom