• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

Caramello

Is there a single Android phone that looks nice on the back?

My phone does. It's frosted glass so it feels nice too.

HST_SonyXperiaZ5Compact_8.jpg

Zolo

Guess it's worth asking here. I need to get a smart phone soon. I'm leaning toward a Samsung Galaxy S8, but I don't really know any large reasons not to go for something else.

Draper

Guess it's worth asking here. I need to get a smart phone soon. I'm leaning toward a Samsung Galaxy S8, but I don't really know any large reasons not to go for something else.

I'd say hold off until the Pixel 2 reveal.

When is that happening, btw?

Steve Jobs would not have allowed them to release the phone with the notch at the top.

There would have either been slightly thicker bezels at the top and bottom (symmetrical) that housed all the appropriate tech, or it just wouldn’t have released.

Also TouchID would not have been removed.

And it would have killed him if the first ever usage of FaceID in front of the press was unsuccessful.

That said, while I do think that Samsung’s design language for the 8 series is pretty nice, the iPhone X looks pretty good too. Just that Steve Jobs era Apple would have made sure that the X would have looked more than pretty good.

reKon

Banned
The X is at least better looking than anything else in the rest of line up.

Still Apple has lost its edge in design (phone wise) Jon Ive should retire and give it up the head position to whoever is next in line for some new ideas.

The OS UX aesthetics don't look good either.

Their best looking product has got to be the Mac Book. The effect they create to make the device look even more thin that it already does is crazy. Unfortunately, that seems to come at a cost of only have one port, which is STUPID for a laptop. Also needs an infinity type display.

13ruce

Banned
Is there a single Android phone that looks nice on the back?

Sony phones i have a Z5 premium and is looks quite good. Will rock that one for a couple of more years my sister got my old z1 my grandma the z3 and those still work fine and are ages old.

Say what you will about those sony phones but they do their job for a nice while. Samsung too btw had a S4 for a long while too.

Thats why i am going on the sim only train soon just buy a 1 year old model and use it for 2 to up to 3-4 years and repeat. And if Sony stops i will hop to samsung or another android love the freedom.

LeleSocho

Banned
It lacks any kind of wow factor which has been Apple's main weapon for decades, in real life it even makes more sense to have a little bezel all around like the iPhone X does but it doesn't make you say wow like the S8 and the Essential did at the unveiling.
Despite Apple touting that now was the right time for OLED it actually still has the classic problems of the technology and it's in general worse than Samsung's best present in the Note 8.
Plus, it's hard to do something better than Samsung when you are sourcing the main part from them... they are working towards that though and trying to make "inhouse" displays but who knows when they'll end up being in actual products.

The gist of it is that competitors are getting better and better by the day.

Apple has been leading from behind for years. Samsung has had OLED screens in their phones for more than 5 years now as an example.

But if you're locked into iOS ecosystem, you're locked in. So here we are.

Having the top of the screen on the iPhone X cut out like that is fucking awful. Steve Jobs would never have allowed a design like that. The Samsung approach of just having a top bezel of some sort is the better choice here.

Nightfall

I saw EAP do an unboxing of this phone and man I was impressed. It looked so cool. Too bad it seems to be a fingerprint magnet lol

Look at it this way, with all the fingerprints on the back it makes each device look totally unique!

Those bezels are why I'm going from Xperia to iPhone X. You could land an aircraft on Xperia's bezels.
While I agree with you on the bezels, he was replying that there are Android phones with nice backsides. And that Xperia has some classy backside...

Samsungs though, they're horrible from behind. Especially the Note 8, it's just hideous.

reKon

Banned
I know some people will think that anyone saying this is trolling or just being obnoxious but SERIOUSLY, there's no fucking way that Jobs would have let that design pass.

He would have had the design team modify that shit.

Gitaroo

Sony phones i have a Z5 premium and is looks quite good. Will rock that one for a couple of more years my sister got my old z1 my grandma the z3 and those still work fine and are ages old.

Say what you will about those sony phones but they do their job for a nice while. Samsung too btw had a S4 for a long while too.

Thats why i am going on the sim only train soon just buy a 1 year old model and use it for 2 to up to 3-4 years and repeat. And if Sony stops i will hop to samsung or another android love the freedom.

Own a z5p too, might get a xzp later this year. While it may be a finger print magnet but I got a clear case on. The only phone that I actually felt like it deserve the name premium. Chrome version felt like you are holding a expensive jewelry in your hand.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In the end, iphone x looks phenomenal, and will have fit and finish unlike anything else in the smartphone game. They seem to be using design paradigms they mastered with the watch, and you can see just how well the steel+glass+oled works (in terms of design seamlessness) on that thing.

Gibbo

The Samsung 8+ face recognition that my fiancé use works very well for screen unlocks. Not sure if it's integrated into payments, etc as a form of verification though

LeleSocho

Banned
I know some people will think that anyone saying this is trolling or just being obnoxious but SERIOUSLY, there's no fucking way that Jobs would have let that design pass.

You are being obnoxious though, Jobs revealed plenty of products that had design compromises and the stuff that is in the notch of the X can't really be hidden anywhere.

Did any of the iPhones have a camera bump beige Steve died?

Because that was the beginning of the end for me

Don't believe so.

He would kill the person who okayd that top bezel and camera hump on the X if he still could.

It looks so rushed and compromised. Two things Jobs would never allow in his products. At least not so blatantly.

JOBS is dead. Move on.

Hasney

You are being obnoxious though, Jobs revealed plenty of products that had design compromises and the stuff that is in the notch of the X can't really be hidden anywhere.

But the compromise would have been to even it out. Not leave that... Thing there.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I think in general, nobody is "Apple-ing" smartphones, and personal gadgets have become unexciting. We are deep into the realm of iterative improvements.

We know what phones do at this point: social media, cameras, video, reading websites, email, playing some dinky games. Phones have been good at these things for a long time, and these annual updates are just 2 or 3% improvements in the overall experience year after year. Smaller bezels aren't much more than a minor cosmetic and ergonomic improvement. Increased power doesn't really make a huge difference in using instagram or reading buzzfeed for anyone. A better screen doesn't dramatically improve watching a Casey Neistat video or reading an ebook.

The reality is that most people will be perfectly happy with their two or three year old phone, and if someone genuinely needs a new phone, they'll be just fine with one of the cheaper phones like the SE or the older Galaxy phones or OnePlus whatever.

Most of the new features are driven by marketing, are marginally useful, and don't really make dramatic changes to the way we use our phones day-to-day. There will be ultra-fans and power users that argue that new products are Extremely Exciting, or this feature is Extremely Cool, but the reality is that a "crappy" older phone will do everything you need it to do just fine. There are already 20 youtube videos discussing the importance of the iPhone X, or why the S8+ or Note is better, but none of it matters.

None of us actually need a new phone, and yet we focus so much of our attention on these products like they actually matter. Most people would be better off removing products from their lives, getting more sleep, and getting more exercise. Not obsessing over which smartphone they want to upgrade to this fall or which movie they're going to go see next or which game they're going to buy next week.

I love how when a new product comes out everyone becomes a genius that knows exactly what Steve Jobs would have done. Yet somehow the people who worked closely with him for years have no idea what he would do.

fade_

Who was the first to larger screen? Who was the first with LTE? Who was the first with NFC? Who was the first with OLED? Who was the first with wireless charging? On and on and on. The innovation was never with Apple, the normalization was.

None of us actually need a new phone, and yet we focus so much of our attention on these products like they actually matter. Most people would be better off removing products from their lives, getting more sleep, and getting more exercise. Not obsessing over which smartphone they want to upgrade to this fall or which movie they're going to go see next or which game they're going to buy next week.

old.jpg

reKon

Banned
I think in general, nobody is "Apple-ing" smartphones, and personal gadgets have become unexciting. We are deep into the realm of iterative improvements.

We know what phones do at this point: social media, cameras, video, reading websites, email, playing some dinky games. Phones have been good at these things for a long time, and these annual updates are just 2 or 3% improvements in the overall experience year after year. Smaller bezels aren't much more than a minor cosmetic and ergonomic improvement. Increased power doesn't really make a huge difference in the experiuence of using instagram or reading buzzfeed for anyone. A better screen doesn't dramatically improve watching a Casey Neistat video or reading an ebook.

The reality is that most people will be perfectly happy with their two or three year old phone, and if genuinely need a new phone, they will be just fine with one of the cheaper phones like the SE or the older Galaxy phones or OnePlus whatever.

Most of the new features are driven by marketing, are marginally useful, and don't really make dramatic changes to the way we use our phones day-to-day. There will be ultra-fans and power users that argue that new products are Extremely Exciting, or this feature is Extremely Cool, but the reality is that a "crappy" older phone will do everything you need it to do just fine. There are already 20 youtube videos discussing the importance of the iPhone X, or why the S8+ or Note is better, but none of it matters.

When Xiaomi dropped their Xiaomi Mi Mix phone that created a lot of noise in the industry in terms of the possibilities of future design (I know Sharp had something first, but I think the Mi Mix really did).

Anyways, people were really excited when that phone was unveiled and were hoping that more company's would try to push that design. And here we are.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
When Xiaomi dropped their Xiaomi Mi Mix phone that created a lot of noise in the industry in terms of the possibilities of future design (I know Sharp had something first, but I think the Mi Mix really did).

Anyways, people were really excited when that phone was unveiled and were hoping that more company's would try to push that design. And here we are.

It created some noise on YouTube tech channels and some websites. And nobody bought it or knows about it outside of that sphere.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
More than seven months after the S8 came out (by the time it releases), I'm just surprised that the X doesn't have more to offer. As an "anniversary" edition, it's practically an affront to the revolutionary original.

jm89

Samsung will most likely have the under the screen finger print scanner before apple as well.

They are apparently very close to getting it working, expect the galaxy s9 to have it.

reKon

Banned
It created some noise on YouTube tech channels and some websites. And nobody bought it or knows about it outside of that sphere.

I specifically referred to industry meaning phone manufacturers DID take notice and they have been planning future designs to what we're starting to see now.

And since you're taking the "no one cares" lazy argument:

I recall Xiaomi constantly selling out of this phone immediately despite its higher price point where they sold it globally. So yes, people did care as the world is bigger than whatever bubble you live in.

This was MKBHD's 2nd highest video count for 2016, according to him (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7plA1ALkQw)

And this wasn't even a phone confirmed to work well in the US

Armadilo

Banned
The iPhone X looks like a phone from the future, that alone is amazing, taking risks and not giving a damn about what people say.

They get made fun of because "courage" but he'll man, they actually try to do something different less or more features from everyone else.

Renekton

The iPhone X looks like a phone from the future, that alone is amazing, taking risks and not giving a damn about what people say.

They get made fun of because "courage" but he'll man, they actually try to do something different less or more features from everyone else.
So my sarcasm detector is broken... is this legit or satire, someone help me out here.

timshundo

Most of the big players are running the same smartphone race. You can have bigger this or faster that but all smartphones have been doing relatively the same thing and have kept the same core functionality for ~5 years.

Someone will out-apple Apple when they sell an idea beyond cellular touch screen slabs. I feel like the next step towards that has to do with AI, like 10 years down the line.

To me it looks like a phone that you look back on after 3 gens and think: damn, that looks rough. The rounded screen and rounded sides make look like a budget chinaphone.

Top Bottom