• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Weevilone

Though this does mean anything bought using disc to digital on Vudu should work.

Oh damn, good point. Hmm.. I have one last pile of HD DVDs that I was about to toss. Vudu wants full price to "convert" them (considered as DVDs) but maybe now it's worth it. Hell, maybe even get UHD out of some?

Zabka

Came up for me, created an account, migrated my DMA movies, attempted to link Vudu and it looks like it went back down again? Getting the #anywhereiscoming homepage and the links in my verification email give 404 errors.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have like 40 movies on iTunes and 400 on VUDU. This is going to be so great

Similar here. About 30 movies on iTunes which are 90% Disney, but my Vudu has like 1,100 titles.
If a a good amount of those shift over to iTunes with a 4K upgrade I’ll be super happy.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Lot of people on various forums warning that UV doesn't get ported to MA, just content from the retailer. I'm guessing that means that UV content redeemed on the studio page, or on Flixster, etc.. don't get ported. It's sorta tough to separate Vudu from UV mentally though, since essentially all UV codes could have been redeemed there.

If all that's true, anyone that redeemed on Vudu or iTunes directly are in business I guess. I used one or the other for the longest time, but after having some problems with Vudu redemptions and having Vudu ALWAYS point the finger elsewhere.. I moved on and it became a viewing portal only. Flixster customer service was the BEST.

On another note, I guess it's time to redeem those Fox UHD codes on iTunes if Apple has them in UHD.
That kinda sucks for most people. I'm mostly on the clear since the only ones I have that weren't redeemed on Vudu/iTunes were the first 4 Mission Impossible movies, and those won't be available on MA anyway.

Also, the MA page totally died.

Zabka

Page is back up with a "Moviesanywhere is coming"

yeah I think this early launch might have been a fuck up

Yup... Vudu's site has a Movies Anywhere section under Account Info now. Replaced DMA. Clicking through and agreeing to connect gets a big fat 404.

985boi

Awesome, I managed to snag the 5 free movies deal(Big Hero 6, The Lego Movie, Argo, Ice Age, Jason Bourne, and Ghostbusters) before they took the site down. Now they're all linked to my iTunes, Amazon, and Google accounts!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It's past that now, unless it means in a little less than 24 hours from now?
The article means today, so it *should* be up (it isn't though).
But when it first came up, it was like an hour earlier than that, which explains why Vudu said it'd be within the hour :p

Also, found this interesting as well:
UltraViolet libraries will also port over through the participating digital retailers.
So I guess non-Vudu-bought/redeemed UV movies will come through.

rjinaz

Nope, that's not supposed to start until sometime next year, I believe. This is a shot across the bow to UV, which Disney never embraced.

Really it's the death blow. UV will fade away once current deals and supply dry up. Who wants UV when you can get a code that will work on any service including itunes and VUDU?

RIP UV. You had to exist and then die so something better could be born.

Really it's the death blow. UV will fade away once current deals and supply dry up. Who wants UV when you can get a code that will work on any service including itunes and VUDU?

RIP UV. You had to exist and then die so something better could be born.

It's actually amazing how quickly Disney won me over with their service. I remember very distinctly being upset with Disney being the only holdout for UltraViolet, going "Of COURSE they made their own service instead of joining the standard, fucking Disney." At the time it only worked with iTunes, but when it spread to VUDU and Amazon, suddenly I understood, and saw the light. Their solution was definitely superior to what UV what doing, and it's no surprise to me that studios have shifted gears.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's actually amazing how quickly Disney won me over with their service. I remember very distinctly being upset with Disney being the only holdout for UltraViolet, going "Of COURSE they made their own service instead of joining the standard, fucking Disney." At the time it only worked with iTunes, but when it spread to VUDU and Amazon, suddenly I understood, and saw the light. Their solution was definitely superior to what UV what doing, and it's no surprise to me that studios have shifted gears.

But UV worked with multiple services as well. What was superior exactly?

It worked with like VUDU, which was the biggest. And like... Flixter.... And some others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

DMA worked with the services people actually cared about. Namely, iTunes, Amazon, Google.

rjinaz

It was superior because you could watch your Disney movies on any service provider including itunes, Amazon, and Google which were not UV.

Amazon has a sale on Disney movies? Cool, I can buy it on Amazon and watch it on VUDU or itunes, or google.

DMA and now MA apparently is the true one stop digital locker everybody dreamed UV would be.

For the record I do really like UV for what it is but this should be better in theory.

Apple/Amazon/Google backing out/not agreeing really was the only issue. Once Disney got them on board, I'd argue it was basically game over unless UV got them on board, which they never could.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apple/Amazon/Google backing out/not agreeing really was the only issue. Once Disney got them on board, I'd argue it was basically game over unless UV got them on board, which they never could.

Can agree with that.
Obviously UV wanted to work with those services.

For me though Vudu was the best streaming service so it didn’t matter too much.

Disc to digital from Vudu/UV got me hundreds of titles. Will be happy if a lot port to iTunes.

Is there an app for chromecast from phone? This would be a nice way to get around the Amazon block.

Wouldn’t you just have to link up your Google and Amazon accounts to your Movies Anywhere account then just play from Google Play?

Edit: hopefully this is something that gets resolved, but a number of my movies that came to iTunes from Amazon got ported over as SD, not HD. Namely: American Pie (Unrated), Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Unrated), Superbad, Walk Hard. Walk Hard I’m not surprised about since I only bought it in SD on Amazon, but the others I bought in HD. Hopefully this is changed later, or is something iTunes support can change later (though I doubt it).

Others came in as HD (Hot Fuzz, Fellowship of the Ring Extended, Pineapple Express, so it’s not universal

Edit2: The Amazon movies I’m not super concerned about since I only had a few anyway, but if my VUDU movies move over as SD I’m going to be way more upset. Every single one I have is HD (except for the 10 free movies they gave me on sign-up, which are total shit and SD). Hopefully when the service comes back up this can be fixed

Trouble

Banned
Now I'm kinda regretting blowing off a direct recruiting effort from a senior manager at Disney Digital a couple years ago.

Wouldn't you just have to link up your Google and Amazon accounts to your Movies Anywhere account then just play from Google Play?

Yup. This kills the need for phone/device apps to play store content, since content will be going directly to the ecosystems. Amazon stuff now plays on Android, iTunes stuff now plays on Echos, etc.

Loxley

I like that their logo is basically one horizontal line away from being a more colorful version of the Watch Dogs logo XD

jgjsHKc.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I just created my account but it won't let me connect my VUDU account. No error or anything, just... when I try to connect it brings me to the vudu front page

anyone else having problems?

Also if this is all Disney's doing, why can't you connect your Disney account?

Also does anyone know if this makes SD movies you own on any of the connectable services automatically HD? I have the LotR extended trilogy on iTunes but it's only SD quality, even though I got my code out of a blu-ray set :(

I just created my account but it won't let me connect my VUDU account. No error or anything, just... when I try to connect it brings me to the vudu front page

anyone else having problems?

Also if this is all Disney's doing, why can't you connect your Disney account?

Also does anyone know if this makes SD movies you own on any of the connectable services automatically HD? I have the LotR extended trilogy on iTunes but it's only SD quality, even though I got my code out of a blu-ray set :(

VUDU was having issues last time the site was up, it’s something on their end. And there is a way to connect your Disney account, it should have offered it. At least it did for myself, I used the same email for DMA and MA

As for SD and HD, that’s currently an unknown. There are several movies I bought in HD on Amazon that came over to iTunes in SD, which I’m not super happy with

Ha. Now that the site has relaunched its having me re-add all those accounts I connected before (DMA, iTunes, Amazon). I’m gonna wait until later in the day to take care of this, just in case.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks, I didn't see the migrate option

Alright I'm all good to go! As soon as I can get vudu linking to work.... i tried several browsers, with add-ons disabled... not working

So I got impatient and tried to reconnect my iTunes account (it was there before, but now isn’t now that the site is back up) and it says Unable to Connect Accounts in iTunes. This better not be a thing.

DavidDesu

Guess this is US only for the conceivable future? Sounds like a great system, and about time. Guess I’ll be waiting for a while in the UK.

Top Bottom