• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Orayn

So the progression is for each mech?

Partially. Each 'Mech tree lets you unlock minor stuff like slight bonuses to lock-on time, weapon convergence speed, etc. but also modules that are "programs" that enable sidegrades like improving night vision at the cost of it blurring more when you get hit. Modules can be used on any 'Mech once you've unlocked them. In addition, you have a pilot talent tree that grants generic bonuses, but again, they're small and just serve to customize your playstyle a little.

The only real factor getting new 'Mechs is simply how many credits they cost, and the prices vary pretty wildly. (1-3 million C-bills for a Light, upwards of 11 million for an Assault.) I don't need to play Light 'Mechs for 50 hours before I can buy a Medium.

Zaptruder

Banned
Basically a multi-tier progression system

Main progress = C-Bills.

Gain them for winning, spend them on mechs, spend them on parts and repairs for the mechs.

Pilot XP
Individual Mech XP
Transferable Modules (XP?) - salvage, bought, XP, etc?

Basically, seems like they'll be a satisfying number of interleaved progression bars to make the game extra addictive.

Lime

Dunno if this was posted:

GJHHa.jpg

Mupod

Are alternative mech builds viable? Like long range missile platforms and such.

There's a Catapult variant that's got 3 missile hardpoints in each arm and nothing else, so it's possible. The viable part is the problem, as from what I've seen armor values ingame are currently double what the tabletop values are, but ammo per ton is the same. And once you run out of ammo you'd be helpless without backup weapons.

Now there's plenty of other options. The plain old vanilla catapult (LRM15s and 4 medium lasers) is quite well balanced, and you could easily make a LRM + large laser or PPC configuration if you wanted to only play long range. And if you don't like the Catapult there's the Trebuchet which is lighter and much faster but with similar armament.

Kem0sabe

There's a Catapult variant that's got 3 missile hardpoints in each arm and nothing else, so it's possible. The viable part is the problem, as from what I've seen armor values ingame are currently double what the tabletop values are, but ammo per ton is the same. And once you run out of ammo you'd be helpless without backup weapons.

Now there's plenty of other options. The plain old vanilla catapult (LRM15s and 4 medium lasers) is quite well balanced, and you could easily make a LRM + large laser or PPC configuration if you wanted to only play long range. And if you don't like the Catapult there's the Trebuchet which is lighter and much faster but with similar armament.

Very nice.

Another question. Are missiles capable of tracking the target and homing on it or do they function more like rockets?

Orayn

EDIT: Guys, if you could avoid posting links to beta leaks, I'd appreciate it. The last thing I want is this thread getting a C&D.

Very nice.

Another question. Are missiles capable of tracking the target and homing on it or do they function more like rockets?

Piranha said they would be similar to previous MechWarrior games in that you lock onto a target, acquire a missile lock, then they automatically track to your target if they have enough time to maneuver. You can dumb-fire missiles, but they're much better when guided.

Also, it's possible to fire missiles at targets with no line of sight if an ally has them in range, since they automatically relay the information to you.

kagete

Any recommended joystick setups so far? Is force-feedback supported?

How about 360 controller support? A joystick might be a big purchase so I'd like to be able to budget for it and order in advance of August 7.

Mupod

EDIT: Guys, if you could avoid posting links to beta leaks, I'd appreciate it. The last thing I want is this thread getting a C&D.

Well, the videos Archie and Zareth posted are just reuploads of the ones that have been circulating for the last week. I don't think they'll care that much about those specific videos since the cat's long since out of the bag.

Edit: PC Gamer put up an article about the Frozen City map, and an interview with Russ Bullock.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/27/frozen-city-is-mechwarrior-onlines-new-map/

Yeah, I'm also wondering how good will it support a 360 controller.

I'd imagine it won't work well at all. If the game were built from the ground up with the 360 controller in mind, it would be fine, but it seems like they've been focused on joysticks and mouse + keyboard.

Honestly, anyone who's planning to play this much should probably pony up the $50 for this, assuming you don't want to spend more on a higher end stick:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'd imagine it won't work well at all. If the game were built from the ground up with the 360 controller in mind, it would be fine, but it seems like they've been focused on joysticks and mouse + keyboard.

Honestly, anyone who's planning to play this much should probably pony up the $50 for this, assuming you don't want to spend more on a higher end stick:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Logitech 3D Pro has been tested with the game as of now. Cheap reliable stick.

That said, the Artemis is a custom Joystick/Dashboard built specifically for the game, force feedback, and an integrated screen with in game information streaming.

I passed up on a custom Mech controller once before, and regret it to this day, That will not happen again.

kagete

Well hopefully someone in the beta has tried it on the 360 pad since there should be enough buttons for it. That thrustmaster looks great for the price except it doesn't have force-feedback which I really loved in the old MW games. Standing on a slope while getting hammered from the side was communicated really well on an old MS Pro 3D. Is there a better option that tops out at $100 since we can't really afford Warthogs?

Orayn

Well hopefully someone in the beta has tried it on the 360 pad since there should be enough buttons for it. That thrustmaster looks great for the price except it doesn't have force-feedback which I really loved in the old MW games. Standing on a slope while getting hammered from the side was communicated really well on an old MS Pro 3D. Is there a better option that tops out at $100 since we can't really afford Warthogs?

The Saitek X52 and be had for around $100 if you shop around. It also lacks force feedback, but it's a nice throttle/joystick set with all the analog axes and buttons you could ever need.

BigTnaples

As of right now I don't think there are plans for 360 gamepad support, although you could probably map it.

That said, there are more buttons/actions in MWO than a 360 gamepad could handle, so you would sacrifice functionality if playing on a gamepad.

kagete

Thanks, the x52 is $82 on amazon so I'll browse reviews in my spare time. As for using the 360 pad, it's not like I can't still use my keyboard anymore for less commonly used commands.

The razer one I have little faith in it actually coming out at an affordable price point after seeing the blade reveal. If it even approaches $400 I assume most enthusiasts would rather go full on warthog instead.

The Logitech 3D Pro has been tested with the game as of now. Cheap reliable stick.

Looks like a fine joystick, but it lacks the huge throttle control that the Hotas X has (which can separate from the joystick, by the way). I used to use a Sidewinder for MW4, and I never liked that tiny little throttle control, it just never felt right.

Ocho

I just ordered a Logitech 3D. Not really a fan of having a joystick and a trottle cluttering my desk space. It will help in Battlefield 3 as well. :)

Mupod

I plan on using mouse (razer naga) + keyboard, but I'll miss having a throttle. I've entertained the idea of a mouse + joystick setup but all I've got is a Saitek Aviator. It's pretty awkward to use this thing AND control the throttle with one hand.

ibyU3XdyaZxgEC.jpg

I could just use it by itself, but eh. We'll see how well that works.

Riggs

Banned
Man this sucks, been playing since Mechwarrior. No idea how I missed out on getting into this beta. August cannot come fast enough!

Orayn

As of right now I don't think there are plans for 360 gamepad support, although you could probably map it.

That said, there are more buttons/actions in MWO than a 360 gamepad could handle, so you would sacrifice functionality if playing on a gamepad.

360 controller wouldn't be too bad. Set it up like Battlefield tank controls.

Left Stick = Turn 'Mech. (X-axis only)
Click LS = Recenter torso

LT = Analog forward throttle
LB = Full reverse throttle

RB = Lock Target
RT = Fire selected group

Two face buttons: Select next group, select last group

Right Stick = Torso twist
Click RS = Zoom window

Throw night/heat vision wherever. There's no coolant flushing.

BigTnaples

360 controller wouldn't be too bad. Set it up like Battlefield tank controls.

Left Stick = Turn 'Mech. (X-axis only)
Click LS = Recenter torso

LT = Analog forward throttle
LB = Full reverse throttle

RB = Lock Target
RT = Fire selected group

Two face buttons: Select next group, select last group

Right Stick = Torso twist
Click RS = Zoom window

Throw night/heat vision wherever. There's no coolant flushing.

Yeah it wouldn't be too bad.

But there are still things like assigning weapon groups, map, command window with artillery strikes, override of shutdown, alpha strike, jump jets, power up/shutdown, active/passive radar, Equipment Modules, etc.

Kem0sabe

Worried that i can´t play the type of mech i want from the start. From the mech lab video i saw that the dev start with 5000.000 credits or something like that, while the catapult cost a bit more than that.

Woorloog

Banned
Worried that i can´t play the type of mech i want from the start. From the mech lab video i saw that the dev start with 5000.000 credits or something like that, while the catapult cost a bit more than that.

They've said you can choose one mech to start with, regardless of weight class. IIRC.

Orayn

Yep, there will be one starter 'Mech available in each weight class. Expect the Assault and Heavy to be less profitable, since they'll likely cost more to repair.

So, I dig the Artemis controller prettttttty hard. No doubt about that. Will probably pick it up if it's not an obscene price.

However, one thing I'm sort of sick of is of twist joystick to rudder/torso twist. From the looks of this, that'll probably be what it implements. It's not bad, but it's not ideal. I'm already wasting a fat wad of cash, so let's go all out.

So I'm looking into a set of pedals to go with for torso control.

Anyone have flight sim experience with either the Saitek or CH pedal systems?

If so, what do you recommend?

Orayn

I think the general consensus is that the CH Products pedals are more expensive with nicer build quality, but are very close together. The Saitek (non-pro) pedals are more affordable and can be customized.

The main problem for shooters is that you don't want to move your right thumb off of the thumbstick because you lose control of your aiming when you move your thumb to the face buttons. Having to line up your shots constantly as you switch between weapons and move your thumb back to the stick wouldn't be ideal. If your set on using a controller because of your comfort zone with it and if the game supports controllers, then I would recommend buying a razer onza. The re-mappable buttons it has are great and its a lot cheaper than a modded 360 controller.

Very nice.

Traditionally, in Mechwarrior games there are 4 types of missiles. LRMs shoot a high volume of low damage missiles that travel a long way and lock, MRMs are basically LRMs without the guidance, SRMs are essentially short range dumbfire rockets that deal more damage per shot and Streak SRMs are basically SRMs with a really fast lock and good guidance. IIRC there are no MRMs yet and SSRMs are limited to an SSRM-2 (so 4 damage per volley), while you can get an SRM-6 (12 damage per volley) or an LRM-20 (20 damage per volley).

Orayn

My tank-loving friend who incessantly complains about 'Mechs having lasers, chicken legs, hands, arms, heads, etc. will be glad to see this sturdy, plantigrade heap of ballistic weaponry and armor.

Lime

Ever since Mechcommander I've never respected the Jagermech. A little bit ugly because of its functional aesthetic and its weaponry have always been underwhelming for a heavy 'mech (imo). The best thing about the 'Mech is that it's a great motivator to destroy.

Top Bottom