• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need to return Scorpio, Help me with two options GAF

So my Scorpio Edition Xbox is crashing, overheating, corrupting saves and not outputting video at times. I basically have two options:

1) Let MS fix it. I may be without the device for almost a month and risk getting a refurb with a different serial number

2) Return to Amazon. I bought with GCs and a $30 promo which I would need to fight for. They cannot even exchange a Scorpio so I would have to buy a standard after they receive my busted Scorpio. Then when I get my refund, I get them on chat and fight for this promotional credit.

I hate losing the Scorpio but I dont like the idea of getting into the merry go round with MS and I have seen more people posting issues with Scorpio's than standard. What do you guys think?

Edit: Forgot to add. I can return up until Jan 31st. If I receive a new serial number I cannt return it to Amazon.

Evil Carrot

Has anyone seen Cloud?
I'd personally take the patient route and have MS do their thing with it. I don't own a X model yet but I personally fancy the Scorpio model a lot more. You may also be able to nab some kind of incentive from MS for the wait, never hurts to at least ask.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Return it you don't want a refurb nightmare.
Its just a stupid name

Hawk Kai

Neo Member
You can have MS send you a replacement unit and put a $500 hold on your card until you return the broken one. I think they call it 'Advance Replacement' or something. That way you don't have to be without a box.

Hawk269

You can have MS send you a replacement unit and put a $500 hold on your card until you return the broken one. I think they call it 'Advance Replacement' or something. That way you don't have to be without a box.

Was just going to suggest this. I know someone that had to do this not too long ago and he received his new system within 3 days of putting in the request, he then sent his defective back and they removed the hold. He said it worked easily and it was no hassle at all.

Was just going to suggest this. I know someone that had to do this not too long ago and he received his new system within 3 days of putting in the request, he then sent his defective back and they removed the hold. He said it worked easily and it was no hassle at all.

They did offer this option however would not commit that it would be new.

Hawk269

They did offer this option however would not commit that it would be new.

Wow. That is odd that they could not commit it would be new. Being that it came out not too long ago, you would think it would be a brand new one. I would assume what they send you would still be under warranty, so I would probably consider it since it will still be a Scorpio edition and if you have an issue with it you can use it as leverage and tell them this is your second defect and they need to do something "extra". Don't be rude or curse or anything like that, keep it professional and be assertive/firm without being a dick if it happens again with the one they send you.

magikarp7

I would deal with ms. since is fairly new i doubt theyd have many refurb models in circulation and more likely to receive a new one.

sainraja

So my Scorpio Edition Xbox is crashing, overheating, corrupting saves and not outputting video at times. I basically have two options:

1) Let MS fix it. I may be without the device for almost a month and risk getting a refurb with a different serial number

2) Return to Amazon. I bought with GCs and a $30 promo which I would need to fight for. They cannot even exchange a Scorpio so I would have to buy a standard after they receive my busted Scorpio. Then when I get my refund, I get them on chat and fight for this promotional credit.

I hate losing the Scorpio but I dont like the idea of getting into the merry go round with MS and I have seen more people posting issues with Scorpio's than standard. What do you guys think?

Edit: Forgot to add. I can return up until Jan 31st. If I receive a new serial number I cannt return it to Amazon.

You shouldn't have to challenge anything when returning as long as the reason is that the device is defective. I had to do it with my original Xbox One and had no issues.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Scorpio Edition is ugly

MS will send you a new or refurbed unit immediately and will just transfer all your info over to the new serial number. They worked out all that by the end of the 360’s life cycle to be pretty smooth.

Both the New and refurbed will have an identical warranty and should be free of cosmetic defects. The returns that go back into circulation basically have to appear new.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Go the Microsoft route, you clearly want the scorpio edition.

Dont you have another console or PC you could spend some time with during the wait?

Yep, I went the MS route. I didn't go through all the stress with Amazon (remember when they oversold pre orders) Just to get a standard. Hopefully it comes back working properly. Thanks!

Let MS fix it. They have great customer support for Xboxes under warranty (other products, like their abandoned fitness band not so much).

MS will give you a quick turnaround. Never had an issue with them on several repairs.

+1 on this. I still remember when I got the RROD (only once), they received my 360, fixed, and shipped it back to me all within one week. They're quite good in this regard.

I returned a Scorpio and simply asked if I could get a Scorpio (new) on advanced exchange. It came about 3 days later and it was brand new.

My local ms store still has plenty of Scorpio and being the console is still pretty new I doubt they have a large reservoir of refurb units

Top Bottom