• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Could you at least give us a summary of the more nebulous leaks? Not in the OP, just a regular post.

http://imgur.com/a/lNlCm/#0

New info wise all we've got is the long term attrition mechanic (I posted it in the OP) and a bit of info on how the new Trait system works.

From what we can gather you can have 70 points at max to spend in these lines similar to attritube points in GW1. Every 5 points is an unlock, the small traits seem to be hardlocked into the trait line while the larger traits can be changed out at will. From what ANet said back in 2010, each class will have access to ~100 traits.
9vvv4.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
http://imgur.com/a/lNlCm/#0

New info wise all we've got is the long term attrition mechanic (I posted it in the OP) and a bit of info on how the new Trait system works.

From what we can gather you can have 70 points at max to spend in these lines similar to attritube points in GW1. Every 5 points is an unlock, the small traits seem to be hardlocked into the trait line while the larger traits can be changed out at will. From what ANet said back in 2010, each class will have access to ~100 traits.
9vvv4.jpg

Do you know why the top two trees are still locked? I thought there were just three trait trees per class, not five.
Anyway, looks like a great system. I hope some of the bigger traits have actual spell-altering effects, instead of just +10% damage. Anything you know about that?

Jira

Do you know why the top two trees are still locked? I thought there were just three trait trees per class, not five.
Anyway, looks like a great system. I hope some of the bigger traits have actual spell-altering effects, instead of just +10% damage. Anything you know about that?

They're locked because there's no points in them, gotta have at least 5 points in a line in order to unlock any traits, 10 at the least so you can choose specific larger traits. Oh yeah of course, there's stuff like +50 vitality(HP) and the like, but there's also skill altering traits, for example:

Fire Magic Major Fiery Aura Burning caused by Fire Attunement lasts longer.
Pyromancer You do more damage with fire.
Minor One with Fire Gain 10 seconds of might after you attune to fire.
Torchlight You recover from Burning faster.
Wave of Flame Cause nearby enemies to burn when you attune to fire.
Water Magic Major Hydromancer Water skills cost less energy.
Minor One with Water Gain regeneration for 10 seconds when you attune to water.
Frozen Skin You recover from being Chilled twice as fast.
Air Magic Minor Stormchild You recover from stuns 25% faster.
Haste Grants swiftness when attuning.

There's weapon traits too:

Scepter Minor Improved Arc Lightning Arc Lightning does more damage.
Improved Ice Shards Fully charged Ice Shards also stuns.
Improved Phoenix Phoenix heals for more.

zulfate

thank grenth i have monday off so i can just watch everything, in witch case i hate that i am completely spoiling myself so much but i cannot not wait anymore!!!!!!!!

Grayman

I love the Sylvrai redesign and thought about making my Ranger one, but I think I have to stay true to my GW1 character and make a female human Ranger. My Sylvari will likely be a Thief. As for the Guardian, I'm debating between that and Ranger for my first class. As for what I think about them, I think the best way to describe any class is to just ask yourself "what kind of playstyle do I like?" The nice thing is that even if you seem to gravitate towards ranged classes, a Ranger is still just as viable as a melee character as they are with a bow. Each class is capable of doing the same things as one another, just differently. So choose what you think will be fun to you. I highly suggest taking a look at the class videos to get an idea of how each class works:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

liking these videos. I am a big fan of mesmer elementalist and thief so far.

Something I have not noticed yet: are interuptions in this game? Those were my favourite skills in the first one.

Jira

liking these videos. I am a big fan of mesmer elementalist and thief so far.

Something I have not noticed yet: are interuptions in this game? Those were my favourite skills in the first one.

There are no skills that simply interrupt, however many abilities serve the same purpose.

Stuns, Knockbacks, Knockdowns, pulls, dazes(?), launches, confusion(?) will all cause interrupts. I put a ? next to the two I'm unsure about.

Boken

Banned
I want my socks to be blown off.

v - one of the few people who get excited by underwater sections in games.

Grayman

There are no skills that simply interrupt, however many abilities serve the same purpose.

Stuns, Knockbacks, Knockdowns, pulls, dazes(?), launches, confusion(?) will all cause interrupts. I put a ? next to the two I'm unsure about.
confusion does seem 50/50 there. The target takes damage but nothing in the text says if the skill grows through or not. With no auto attacks that one may let the skills go through and replace empathy as a dot if they attack.

Pulls and launches sound like something fun.

Mulligan

Banned
The amount of info we are going to get today will be glorious, so many delicious HD direct feed videos..

Also, we are getting news on the public beta from Anets blog post today; correct?

Vano

My body is ready. As press is allowed to post impressions and content at 6AM PST, maybe we will see something from a.net at that hour maybe.

Got to say that the High Res screenshot looks good, hoping to see HD content this week.

demolitio

For someone who can't afford MMO's with no money coming in and a shitload going out, this is the perfect game for me. I liked the first one although it got a little repetitive in the middle, but this one looks like they're actually trying to push the MMO genre forward instead of sticking with what others have built. And the fact that I don't have to pay every month makes it that much better to me.

I can't wait for the beta.

kotaku's piece is up.

I really do hope this game will run nicely on my rig. Am slowly losing confidence with my machine after it's struggle with SWTOR (still not really sure who's fault that is)...

Some personal notes from the event.

-The main thing I will say, is that they really need to expand variety in combat. (Though, given the game's legacy, that may be the point that I'm missing entirely). For most of the classes, you have different skill progressions for different weapons and spell types. Unfortunately, there is so much overlap, it feels like running down the same flowchart regardless of the situation. I found myself losing excitement in solo combat very quickly. This was a complaint among some other players as well.

-Overall, actually, it feels like a very solo unfriendly game. Coming from a guy that plays FFXIV and enjoys soloing, I hope they continue to expand and vary these abilities throughout progression. Balancing seems pretty good from class to class, and I never felt over or underpowered.

-Presentation is spot on (though there is some uninspired voice work at times). If you've played GW1 for any length of time, the story aspects are well done. Though there were some instancing bugs, it a very technically sound system they have in place to switch from instanced to non-instanced scenarios. Running through the main questline was my favorite part of this event.

-Probably the best free-form open questing structure ever. Very easy to jump in and lend a hand. Dungeons are pretty tough, adding closed quarters to combat that is so heavily reliant on movement and positioning.

-I wasn't able to play reliably until the last day because the retail AMD drivers for my 7950 were garbage, but luckily AMD put out a Catalyst 12.2 Pre-release out this weekend and that helped greatly, though there were still some technical problems. Good lord this game is demanding. Looks beautiful, but is taxing, even to my system.

-I look forward to what this game provides in the future. I have to say that I really hate PvP in general, and may still get this game if enough TLC is paid to the PvE experience.

Vano

kotaku's piece is up.

I really do hope this game will run nicely on my rig. Am slowly losing confidence with my machine after it's struggle with SWTOR (still not really sure who's fault that is)...

An article in spanish talked about Performance of the beta:

All the videos that you have seen until now has been done with my PC, with the graphics at Ultra in DirectX9.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T con OC 3.5
4gb de RAM DDR3 a 1600
AMD Radeon 6950 con un poco de OC
Drivers AMD 12.1
Resolución 1920×1080

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY&feature=player_embedded

General Performance

I start with the base of that every person have their opinion of what is aceptable and what isn't not. Mine is that 30fps is aceptable wich GW2 doesn't do. The data that i have registered is while i did a little journey in a zone with differences. The minimum is obtained in a amply zone without too much people and NPC. The maximum in a house.

With the graphics in ultra: Minimum = 10fps / Max = 28 with a median of 20.
With the graphics in low: Minimum = 21fps / Max = 60 with a median of 36.

Intel Core i5 2500K 4Gb GTS450 1920×1080 Min 27 Max 54 Med 45
Intel Core i7 920(3.2) 12Gb GTX590 1920×1080 Min 26 Max 58 Med 46
Intel Core i7 920(3.0) 12Gb GTX560 SE 1280×1024 Min 63 Max 71 Med 67

We did tests with nVidia 3DVision and we have been surprised. Evidently a 3d profile doesn't exist for GW2 but the performance and depth are surprising. As the version tested was DX9, we haven't tested the performance in DX11.

WvW Performance

The performance in WvW is like a world apart and the FPS disappear. The difference between Ultra and Low is of a few FPS. With the graphics at ultra, with my pc i get a minimum of 4fps and a maximum of 13fps, median of 8. All of this with more than 50 people per band and various NPC's. Changing the fps to low i win like 2-3fps, a insignificant gain.

Meanwhile when you play skirmishes of 15-20 people per band, the game gives more acceptable results like the ones in general performance.

Source: http://www.mmogamer.es/noticias/guild-wars-2-impresiones-beta/

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Divinity's Reach is beyond impressive. It's as if ArenaNet went "we thought about wrapping up a nice little present for you RPers, so here you go."

I dislike creating Human races as a point because most of the time it's all very bland, but I'm happy about my starter being a Human Guardian.

This quote from Massively got me very excited about the game.
You have your normal leveling progression, but there's also a running count on the map screen that shows you the completion percentages for the area you're in and the entire world. These are broken down by side tasks completed, waypoints discovered, points of interest found, and skill challenges finished.

I know I will not want to leave an area until I completed every quest/event and discovered everything!!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ah, underwater combat. One of the things Warcraft really screwed the pooch on. I love how murky it is. Hope high level sharks can ambush you!

Every game needs something like the cheep from Mario 64's Tiny-Big Island. Or the eels. I live for unknown, eerie underwater environments.

Vano

One thing that i must say is that i love what GW2 is doing with regards of quests and eliminating Kill steal (and the rage of seeing an area crowed with people). Having played TERA CB and wasted time doing nothing because every mob was being killed already, its a welcomed change and a step in the right direction.

Vano

is it me or are almost all GuildWars2Guru videos full with lag/fps drops?

Yea its a common issue with lot of videos, apparently is because drivers and game optimization.

The music is such a eargasm omg * -*

The city tour videos are such a hypemaker for me, the scale, music and art is so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom