• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEFORMERS is Rolling in April 21ST 2017

vivekTO

TcWV2x6.png

Today we’re excited to announce that Deformers will be launching on April 21st, 2017!
Deformers takes place in arenas where players control “Forms” and battle in the quest to reign over other players. Deformers delivers unique, tactile game play for those who love to show off their skills, determination, and domination.More Details!!

Today, we are also revealing the highly-anticipated Founders Pack Forms!
Check out the trailer

This is Ready at Dawn? I had no idea this existed until this thread, but it seems pretty neat. GameStop tells me that this is $29.99.

KodaRuss

What exactly do you do in this game? I havent watched any videos anything yet so excuse my ignorance. The art looks mildly interesting, looks like a perfect game for my son to laugh at.

Spy

I was looking at the Steam reviews and is it true there's only three game modes and two maps or was that for the beta only?

EDIT:Just learning you have to be connected online to play the game, at all. Apparently even splitscreen requires an online connection?

Zukkoyaki

Is it multiplayer only or does it include an arcade or bot mode?

Even if it doesn't this looks like a ton of fun! Can't wait to play with some friends!

AudioEppa

I don't have a positive opinion about this game, just from the look of it. I'll try a demo once it's available.

After finally playing the order recently. I'm really eager to see how they follow up with new AAA style game.

MUnited83

For you.
I really liked the beta but I think the game is not focused enough to get a decent player base. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

bones123

So much dumb shit surrounding this game. As an EB Games employee, I can't wait for this game to flop.

-Physics are 100% handled by The Cloud™, thus requiring a persistent internet connection for what seemed would be a fun little couch multiplayer game.

-If you're doing local split-screen, at least one person has to have PS+/XBL Gold. Even if you're playing locally. What.

-The game was originally supposed to be out in February, then it got delayed to March, and then again to April 11th. Then literally the day before launch, the game was delayed to the 21st.

-On top of all of that, all of our marketing has always been wrong - showing the USD price in Canada and the wrong release date, FOR OUR OWN SELF-PUBLISHED GAME.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
I was looking at the Steam reviews and is it true there's only three game modes and two maps or was that for the beta only?

EDIT:Just learning you have to be connected online to play the game, at all. Apparently even splitscreen requires an online connection?

In the first release game there are 9 maps, 3 modes, 5 classes, 36 forms, up to 4 player splitscreen, up to 8 player parties, etc. We have many plans for this game in the future (if people happen to like it, of course :) ).

The core idea is that EVERYTHING in it is based on physics (networked soft body physics, in fact). Movement and combat are free of the restrictions of animation, which means that the forms can "hug" the terrain and interact with each other in a continuous, tactile way. We also wanted the combat to be fast, chaotic, rewarding of skill and precision - there are at any time hundreds (even thousand) of entities being simulated. It looks cute and funny, but compared to most games of this nature it really very demanding on the simulation side.

The reason it always needs to be online is that the dedicated server performs the bulk of the heavy physics, things you just could not do on a console at the moment (especially not at 60 fps or in 4 player splitscreen). The servers always have authority and are locked at 60fps.

We wanted it to be short session, competitive, easy to pick up but with lots of skill-based depth.

At the end, I think this is a game that plays like its own thing - you guys will tell us if that's a good thing or not. :)

duppolo

In the first release game there are 9 maps, 3 modes, 5 classes, 36 forms, up to 4 player splitscreen, up to 8 player parties, etc. We have many plans for this game in the future (if people happen to like it, of course :) ).

The core idea is that EVERYTHING in it is based on physics (networked soft body physics, in fact). Movement and combat are free of the restrictions of animation, which means that the forms can "hug" the terrain and interact with each other in a continuous, tactile way. We also wanted the combat to be fast, chaotic, rewarding of skill and precision - there are at any time hundreds (even thousand) of entities being simulated. It looks cute and funny, but compared to most games of this nature it really very demanding on the simulation side.

The reason it always needs to be online is that the dedicated server performs the bulk of the heavy physics, things you just could not do on a console at the moment (especially not at 60 fps or in 4 player splitscreen). The servers always have authority and are locked at 60fps.

We wanted it to be short session, competitive, easy to pick up but with lots of skill-based depth.

At the end, I think this is a game that plays like its own thing - you guys will tell us if that's a good thing or not. :)

seems like something to spend 15 euro in easily, but that price tag will give you less potential of player base and skins selling

BHK3

Banned
seems like something to spend 15 euro in easily, but that price tag will give you less potential of player base and skins selling
If they cared about outreach it would've been F2P with micro transactions. But not every game can be F2P.

hawk2025

Wait, did you guys beat Crackdown to the punch in putting out a game with server-side physics calculations?

MUnited83

For you.
Wait, did you guys beat Crackdown to the punch in putting out a game with server-side physics calculations?

Server-side physics calculations on online games are not a new thing.

What crackdown is doing is new on a single player level, and the huge extent it has.

hawk2025

What crackdown is doing is new on a single player level, and the huge extent it has.

Which other games have done it in the past?

I thought the cloud-based simulations in Crackdown were only for the multiplayer game?

Andrea Pessino

I don't know what they are doing, but these are very different games solving very different problems. :)

In Deformers all physics calculation are directly impacting the gameplay - so it is not so much about huge destruction or giant piles of debris, more about fewer but very complex objects and how they interact with each other in physical combat.

Of course we also do things like the Disasters where you have the whole level shaking up and down, or spinning around, or tilting about its center of mass with all entities on it contributing to the overall torque and being affected correctly, etc. Lots of shit flying around! :)

thelastword

Banned

To what huge extent exactly is crackdown using the cloud for SP?.... and which games have done server side physics calculations at 60fps?

I think the game looks like a lot of fun. Would love a demo.

There was 2 weekend long beta's the last two weekends. I am not sure if we will get a demo. Hopefully we will though so people who are only hearing about it get a chance to experience it, it was a lot of fun.

Andrea Pessino

We are going to have one last beta on Steam, come check it out if you can!

http://www.deformers.com/join-us-for-our-final-steam-open-beta-april-15th/

I will list some of the improvements and additions here before we go live tomorrow.

Also, if you wanted to know about content and the future, here is what is in the game at launch and a few hints at what we are already working on for updates:

http://www.deformers.com/deformers-content-launch-and-whats-to-come/

I'll be playing as much as possible during the weekend, as I did the last two betas - if you see Andrea@RAD in a match it's me. I'll be pretending to suck at the game just to make people feel good about themselves, in reality I am quite awesome at it.

Hope to see you there... :)

We are going to have one last beta on Steam, come check it out if you can!

http://www.deformers.com/join-us-for-our-final-steam-open-beta-april-15th/

I will list some of the improvements and additions here before we go live tomorrow.

Also, if you wanted to know about content and the future, here is what is in the game at launch and a few hints at what we are already working on for updates:

http://www.deformers.com/deformers-content-launch-and-whats-to-come/

I'll be playing as much as possible during the weekend, as I did the last two betas - if you see Andrea@RAD in a match it's me. I'll be pretending to suck at the game just to make people feel good about themselves, in reality I am quite awesome at it.

Hope to see you there... :)

Hopefully I will be able to make it, but super busy this weekend - but guys if you are a bit intrigued and have the time give this game a go. It's worth the try imho.

mrlion

I was in the beta and got pretty good at the game. Unfortunately, since there were few people playing they didn't want to play with me haha I got ridiculous KDR like 14-0 or something like that.

Fun game but the price is pretty steep. If they are gonna add ranking of sorts maybe I'll join I'll probably destroy everyone haha

LogN

I had fun in the beta when it decided to work. I'm looking forward to playing more on PC, got a whole group of 8 to play with :p

Regiruler

Are the Founder's pack skins completely exclusive? I don't like supporting games with lost forever content for latecomers.

Top Bottom