• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

TheFlow

Banned
I thought I was going to do the school trip today. But alas, I spent like over an hour in Mementos instead, bought the Dancing All Night DLC and the 3 new DLC Personas, fixed a laptop, got Becky up to Rank 9, got my Charm maxed, got my Proficiency and Kindness up to 4, and cleared the final Big Burger Challenge.

I felt it was all really productive, and I washed a full stack of stuff for FREE at the laundry thanks to Becky. But damn, this game just sucks all the time away. At least I know after the trip I can start hammering away at Makoto and Futaba's Confidant ranks again! Yay!

so who is going to tell him.

Thud

I have a silly question for all you "Japanese experts" out there: How common are the names of the characters in real life? Are they the equivalents to John, Ryan, Emily, Christine, or are they uncommon? Or are they made up?

Definitely heard Yusuke, Ryuuji and Haru before. Makoto as well.

Futuba is not really a name I guess(correct me if I'm wrong), more like a company. Her name is actually a reference to the Futuba channel, an imageboard style ala 4chan for otaku.

Akechi Goro has to be a reference to Akechi Kogoro, a fictional detective in Rampo Edogawa's works.

Opa-Pa

Haha yeah. I have my original physical PS2 copies already, just not keen on hooking that up to my HDTV to replay them for a bunch of reasons.

Good to hear the classics run fairly well! I've given up on them ever being released on PS4 (Especially Nocturne and DDS) so I may as well get a PS3 with the added benefit of finally playing my copies of Arena and Ultimax.

Yeah about that... PS2 Classics performance for Atlus games is kinda funky in places. I can only speak for USA releases, but from my experience:

Nocturne: Seems to run just as on real hardware. If there are issues they're probably minimal because I didn't notice any back when I played it

DDS1: Terrible performance, below 30fps all the time and audio desync during cutscenes. Framerate is so bad in fact that sometimes it gave me motion sickness... Still technically playable though

DDS2: Seems to run as intended. I noticed minor glitches like a text box vibrating during a specific scene, but that's about it

Persona 3 FES: Runs perfectly fine except for some glitched textures in the late Tartatus floors, they won't stop blinking really fast

Raidou 2: Runs perfectly fine from what little I've played

Raidou 1 I avoided in this version due to framerate complaints, and I've heard P4 has some slowdowns too.

I know I make DDS1 sound awful but it's so damn good that if you don't have any other means to play it, go for it still.

Arena and Ultimax are great fun if you like fighters. The story in the first game is quite good actually, the story mode itself is a slog though. Ultimax's story is atrocious but the story mode is more fun this time, if a bit too long. Characterization is generally pretty bad in both for the most part, sadly.

sikkinixx

Second palace in and this game just isn't doing it for me. And that's from someone who feels that P3 and P4 are probably my favourite RPGs.

The writing isn't as good. The characters so far aren't as fun. Moragana is awful. Repetive voice line "Your so gorgeous Panther" "excessive power leads to ruin" etc etc. My wife is routinely commenting that people should shut up. Add to that I'm 16 hours in and have had hardly any freedom whatsoever. It's always go right to bed, wake up and go right to wherever the story forces me. While pretty and all the UI shit takes up a third of the screen, making an already shitty camera even more cumbersome during stealth stuff. Just lots of little things.

Sigh. Does it open up at the very least?

Definitely heard Yusuke, Ryuuji and Haru before. Makoto as well.

Futuba is not really a name I guess(correct me if I'm wrong), more like a company. Her name is actually a reference to the Futuba channel, an imageboard style ala 4chan for otaku.

Akechi Goro has to be a reference to Akechi Kogoro, a fictional detective in Rampo Edogawa's works.

Thanks! That's interesting. Is it also the same for Persona 4 as well? Reason I asked initially was I'm having a harder time remembering peoples' names in this game compared to Persona 4, and I don't watch anime or stuff like that so I just wondered if there was kind of a change or difference in names between games.

Second palace in and this game just isn't doing it for me. And that's from someone who feels that P3 and P4 are probably my favourite RPGs.

The writing isn't as good. The characters so far aren't as fun. Moragana is awful. Repetive voice line "Your so gorgeous Panther" "excessive power leads to ruin" etc etc. My wife is routinely commenting that people should shut up. Add to that I'm 16 hours in and have had hardly any freedom whatsoever. It's always go right to bed, wake up and go right to wherever the story forces me. While pretty and all the UI shit takes up a third of the screen, making an already shitty camera even more cumbersome during stealth stuff. Just lots of little things.

Sigh. Does it open up at the very least?

The game alternates between time periods where you have free reign and long stretches where you have no ability to do anything but advance the story throughout the whole game. The structure doesn't change much from where you are at.

Kalnos

Banned
The writing isn't as good. The characters so far aren't as fun. Moragana is awful. Repetive voice line "Your so gorgeous Panther" "excessive power leads to ruin" etc etc. My wife is routinely commenting that people should shut up

Lmao I hope Futaba isn't as annoying in English as she in in Japanese. Her voice lines when you use weaknesses as Joker/Makoto are so obnoxious.

PK Gaming

XD0i3xB.png

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The writing isn't as good. The characters so far aren't as fun. Moragana is awful. Repetive voice line "Your so gorgeous Panther" "excessive power leads to ruin" etc etc. My wife is routinely commenting that people should shut up. ?

Lmao I hope Futaba isn't as annoying in English as she in in Japanese. Her voice lines when you use weaknesses as Joker/Makoto are so obnoxious.

I shared similar sentiments at first. So for mementos and palaces I would turn off the voice volume. Then for the calling card day and bosses I turn it on again.

SoulUnison

Banned
I love how useless Ryuji's "Hold Up" stance is.
If he fired his shotgun like that he'd shatter his arm.

Or maybe he wouldn't since he apparently doesn't think of it and thus it wouldn't happen?
"Cognition" is this game's "nanomachines."

I don't understand what the hell companies like this are thinking when they record only one possible line for a situation that can frequently occur multiple times in rapid succession.
Knocking down enemies one-by-one with Joker makes me want to strange Futaba, and Morgana wasn't any better.

Soma

lol @ hierophant rank 7

needing max kindness to even get to that point but at the end

"...i felt like I gained more kindness after talking with him"

gee uhhh thanks?

FHIZ

I just got past where the shit hits the fan after the 6th palace, but I've got a mechanical question for anyone knows the situation...
Say I had an SP+3 adhesive equipped to you know who... am I going to lose that once I gain control, or is it going to be back in my inventory?

Opa-Pa

I wonder why the game doesn't tell you Sword Dance and Vorpal Blade both have a higher than normal critical rate. The difference is evident, I'm making criticals rain like there's no tomorrow and taking every demon's money lmao.

Any tips on grinding exp/money besides
the reaper
? I just finished palace 7 and now I need some money/lv to fuse some end game persona.

Toki767

I just got past where the shit hits the fan after the 6th palace, but I've got a mechanical question for anyone knows the situation...
Say I had an SP+3 adhesive equipped to you know who... am I going to lose that once I gain control, or is it going to be back in my inventory?

Should go back to your inventory.

[Confidant ability]
H O L Y S H I T Ryuji's instakill on ambush ability is SO annoying. It makes farming in Mementos SUCH a drag. Please tell me there's a way to disable it. I tried taking him out of the party, but that didn't work.

zulux21

lol @ hierophant rank 7

needing max kindness to even get to that point but at the end

"...i felt like I gained more kindness after talking with him"

gee uhhh thanks?

I really wish that after you maxed a skill that if the game would normally reward you with points to that skill it just skipped that.

I would likely have 30 minutes less on my 65 hour play time with that simple change :/

while I am enjoying the game it really could have stream lined a lot of things (such as when someone texts you have the rank up info there and if you select go see them just start the stuff instead of teleporting you in front of them) and cut down on repetitive stuff (really don't need things like the shopping network going through the same crap every week just to sell you a random item, just a simple do you want X for Y would do ect)

likely could have easily cut the gameplay time by 10% if they focused on stuff like that.

Kyrios

Beaten at almost exactly 83 hours. Fantastic game, GOTY, etc.

The part when Sojiro wipes his tears when you leave Leblanc :(

[Confidant ability]
H O L Y S H I T Ryuji's instakill on ambush ability is SO annoying. It makes farming in Mementos SUCH a drag. Please tell me there's a way to disable it. I tried taking him out of the party, but that didn't work.

Yeah, it's actual dicks. I wish they gave you the option to turn it on and off or you still would get EXP/money/items when it triggers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I mean, I guess. It only activates if you're way above the enemy's level anyway. Something like 10-15 levels above.

I just realized now after 150 hours that it's Ryuji's ability and not just the game itself automatically giving you a free pass due to how high your level are compared to the shadows, lol.

I thought Insta-Kill is activated as you enter the battles themselves,

Ahhhh well one more reason why Ryuji sucks (besides his Matarukaja, lol)

It's on. Everything isn't subtitled and what isn't is pretty important, that's the entire issue.

Even with subtitles on things like the newscaster's dialog isn't translated.

Ahh yea okay. I tried using Japanese VA up until I cleared Kamoshida's castle but the inability to understand battle quips or post battles commentary and the like really sour me on the experience.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Goddamn, Mementos minibosses are brutal on Hard. The margin for error is narrow indeed.

I did not have much trouble with them on Hard. The Palace bosses were the ones I sweated haha. One tip is to debuff them. Debuffing is crucial on Hard.
Some minibosses in Mementos have AI such that they will waste many, many consecutive turns trying to buff while you have a character debuff them LOL.

PK Gaming

I just realized now after 150 hours that it's Ryuji's ability and not just the game itself automatically giving you a free pass due to how high your level are compared to the shadows, lol.

I thought Insta-Kill is activated as you enter the battles themselves,

Ahhhh well one more reason why Ryuji sucks (besides his Matarukaja, lol)

If you're bringing up Matarukaja, might as well point out how Charge + Phys skills literally let him trivialize lategame bosses.

That said, he's great way before that point, and hilariously good after. He doesn't have any bad spots.

Ali Dance or Arms Master for Yoshitsune?

Arms Master. The benefit of increased evasion is mitigated when you have many resistances like Yoshitsune. Arms Master lets you attack more often without healing as well.

11/21 STORY SPOILERS

Holy shit this Akechi and Shido "let's summarize everything evil we've done as a casual conversation" is making me laugh so hard. Like holy crap this exposition is hilariously bad. It's like a Bind villain explaining their plan to the hero EXCEPT THERE'S NOBODY ELSE THERE AND THEY ALREADY KNOW ALL THIS. Hahahaha. This is great.

i agree. it was completely unnecessary.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you're bringing up Matarukaja, might as well point out how Charge + Phys skills literally let him trivialize lategame bosses.

That said, he's great way before that point, and hilariously good after. He doesn't have any bad spots.

Arms Master. The benefit of increased evasion is mitigated when you have many resistances like Yoshitsune. Arms Master lets you attack more often without healing as well.

I only mainly use him for Matarukaja. I leave Charge + Physical to the MC, he's much more adept on doing it due to Arms Master anyway.

Also, I am pretty sure that Ali Dance affects the entire party, yeah? That makes it really valuable to be thrown away, no?

holy moley fuckin shit, do your dialogue choices actually matter in this game???

Main story beats, not really, except for some really late ones that can decide the ending.

In confidants, yeah, there are "correct responses" that you must pick if you want to level them up much more efficiently.

PK Gaming

I only mainly use him for Matarukaja. I leave Charge + Physical to the MC, he's much more adept on doing it due to Arms Master anyway.

Also, I am pretty sure that Ali Dance affects the entire party, yeah? That makes it really valuable to be thrown away, no?

It's more efficient to use Debilitate with Joker (turn 1) and Charge with Ryuji to deliver a complete smack down on enemies. Though there's nothing stopping you from having them both Charge and just, delete bosses (you could throw in Ann for even more fun).

Ali Dance only affects Joker.

Sayad

I don't understand what the hell companies like this are thinking when they record only one possible line for a situation that can frequently occur multiple times in rapid succession.
Knocking down enemies one-by-one with Joker makes me want to strange Futaba, and Morgana wasn't any better.
Doesn't Futaba have like more than 250 battle lines as it is(think there's a trophy for hearing 250)? I imagine recording multiple lines for each situation would easily boost that to over 1k.

Jachaos

holy moley fuckin shit, do your dialogue choices actually matter in this game???

You'll gain Guts or Charm or Knowledge, etc. if you choose one dialogue option over another.

Also, when hanging out with someone, you'll notice that depending on your choice, 1, 2 or 3 notes can pop. So choosing a certain answer will give you more points, raising your S. Link with that person faster. Also, carrying a Persona of the same Arcana as that person (say, Chariot when hanging out with Ryuji) will also make your S. Link progress faster.

Kssio_Aug

Have bought Persona 5 yesterday and started playing today. Am still quite at the beginning (
just got the quest for search the students that have been abused by the teacher
) but I'm amazed by it so far!!

The graphics are simple but the art is so amazing that sometimes it feels like one of the most pretty games I've ever played! The characters and the personas feels like a paiting sometimes! Am also amazed by the menus, everything is so stylish! Absolutely gorgeous artisitc direction.

Also the main character and Ryuji personas introductions were a blast! So amazing!!! I'm also digging the tone of this game a lot. And right at the beginning it seems to me the MC will be much better developed than P4's MC, which is great. I'm also plesantly surprised about the dungeons changes... the 1st dungeon / palace, besides not finishing yet, already feels much better crafted than previous games.

Still have not started getting personas yet, but I've read that this follows the path of Shin Megami Tensei of dealing with them and trying to acquire by dialogues. It's the only thing, right now, that kind of "worries" me a bit, since I prefer the Shuffle Time from Persona 4 Golden. But I have not reached this point yet in Persona 5, I hope they have some surprises in the system that makes acquiring and evolving Personas more fun.

Will try to avoid enter too much in Personas threads so I don't get any spoiler, but I needed to come here talk about my 1st impressions. This game seems awesome!

Jachaos

Doesn't Futaba have like more than 250 battle lines as it is(think there's a trophy for hearing 250)? I imagine recording multiple lines for each situation would easily boost that to over 1k.

Rise had multiple lines for each situation if I remember correctly, it felt more natural than hearing the same one repeated in succession. However, there are more lines for Futaba overall I think, so there must be more situations where she says stuff (like Baton Pass, for example).

I really love all the characters being involved and talking in Persona games. The wordy battles make the cast feel more organic.

Sayad

Will try to avoid enter too much in Personas threads so I don't get any spoiler, but I needed to come here talk about my 1st impressions. This game seems awesome!
Also keep away from searching Persona in Youtube(or anywhere else really) and you're probably better off asking here before searching the web for anything related to the game, the game's spoiler are everywhere and they can ruin a lot.

And yea, one the prettiest games ever, despite the low bar when it comes to tech.

Kssio_Aug

Also keep away from searching Persona in Youtube(or anywhere else really) and you're probably better off asking here before searching the web for anything related to the game, the game's spoiler are everywhere and they can ruin a lot.

And yea, one the prettiest games ever, despite the low bar when it comes to tech.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind.

To keep the experience fresh I even avoided be watching many trailers or reviews. Watched just enough to be convinced to buy it.

Top Bottom