• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII (PC/PS4/XB1, Nov 3) Info: Campaign, Zombies, MP, Trailer, More

What a difference a year and a setting change makes

wwii2xr1w.png

People who say it looks generic; what do you expect it to look like? Do you want them to change the way the settings and outfits look?

Also: is it generic because so many games are copying the style Call of Duty made so popular to begin with?

Does anyone have the technical knowledge to explain or detail how many on-screen soldiers we can expect to see on the Omaha Beach segment?

This is a very important aspect for me, because after watching Saving Private Ryan and then playing the Omaha Beach level in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, I thought it was amazing - but I couldn't help noticing that there were around 15 or so NPC'S on the screen and then Medal of Honor: Frontline was an even bigger disappointment - with around 8 NPC's.

I'm looking for at least 40 just so that it feels realistic and actually crowded for a change. It certainly seems like SG is going for the definitive D-Day experience and I should hope that they would at least fill the screen with a lot of NPC's.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People who say it looks generic; what do you expect it to look like? Do you want them to change the way the settings and outfits look?

Also: is it generic because so many games are copying the style Call of Duty made so popular to begin with?
Domany developers make games like this anymore?

I feel like it's basically Call of Duty and Battlefield at this point.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Did the first 2 COD games have regen health or health packs? I forgot already

CoD 1/United Offensive, Finest Hour, and Big Red One featured health packs, everything was has been auto-regen.

You're right. The American education system isn't robust enough to have taught the difference between the Polish, the Soviets, the Heer, and the Nazis. There'd be too much confusion if they went for a nuanced approach that shared complex stories from a unique perspective that wasn't about some kid from Texas and freedom®

I imagine you're probably taking the piss, but between the two of them, Company of Heroes 1/Opposing Fronts and 2 covered those differences pretty nicely, if briefly, and I don't remember any complaints of confusion among the playerbase. No reason to believe it couldn't be likewise done in an FPS.

People thinking this looks generic need their eyes and brains checked. This is the most inspired this series has looked in years.

Isurus

I had sworn off Call of Duty a couple years ago, but the return to WWII is sucking me in. Looks I'll be playing this on my Scorpio this fall. Looks fantastic.

As someone who hasn't seriously played a CoD since 2 this looks real good to me. If they could have a MP playlist with out all the bullshit perks and kill streaks that would be bliss.

Seyfert

still not getting why Polygon published article about this game being racism/white-wash.

btw, nice thread, i can collected something i may missed out during live show. :)

still not getting why Polygon published article about this game being racism/white-wash.

btw, nice thread, i can collected something i may missed out during live show. :)

Because they are Polygon...

I'm excited for a good WWII SP campaign again and I can't wait for E3 to see some MP action. Sticking to my "No Pre-Orders" stance though.

Domany developers make games like this anymore?

I feel like it's basically Call of Duty and Battlefield at this point.

I meant over time. I feel like the military shooter was popularized by World War 2 Call of Duty, and similar games that have been made in the past mimicked its style so that now when we think "WWII Shooter" we picture what Call of Duty had popularized whether we're thinking of call of duty specifically, or not. Thus creating a "generic" style because its the default basic style we think of when thinking "WWII Shooter".

I guess im just saying I think it only looks generic because it looks like Call of Duty.

Seyfert

One more thing maybe to be added OP (need double check though) During IGN post show, they said health regen system is not there but you must find some kind of "medic" which I am not sure what they really mean but I try to implied that they mean your teammate can be heal you ?

I had to check to see if you were being serious. What a genuinely bizarre article

For now, the tone-deaf manner in which this all-white production checked all the diversity boxes — “women, an African-American unit and even a child” — reduced everyone else to a bullet point on the back of a box, yet another feature. We’ve got a private multiplayer beta; we’ve got zombies; we’ve got black people, we’ve got women, we’ve got a Jew.

codbbo28.png

0racle

I watched the trailer again now on PC, rather than mobile and.....im excited because its "new" in terms of style over the past few iterations of COD.

But I cant help to feel like I have done everything that trailer has showed me in previous WWII games. They will really need to introduce some "new" situations in the campaign and multi to really keep long term interest in the title. Otherwise it will feel old and tired fast.

v1lla21

Pretty sure it was, at least as a main protagonist.

Unless you count Danny Trejo in Black Ops and Raul Menendez in Black Ops II.
Damn I didn't even know they were in the games. Lol. I should've played their campaigns. Last CoD campaign I played was Big Red One. Cool to see them focusing on diversity though, I'll make sure to play the campaign in this game.

Seyfert

I watched the trailer again now on PC, rather than mobile and.....im excited because its "new" in terms of style over the past few iterations of COD.

But I cant help to feel like I have done everything that trailer has showed me in previous WWII games. They will really need to introduce some "new" situations in the campaign and multi to really keep long term interest in the title. Otherwise it will feel old and tired fast.

If I heard correctly during show, they said there will be decision making and will effected the mission that you can play or miss something.

Rixxan

It's funny, people keep saying how the Normandy Beach-landing has been done a zillion times in games, but how many games (not including MP-only titles like Day of Defeat or BF1942) have actually featured it?

- MOH: Allied Assault
- MOH: Frontline (which was a pseudo-console port of Allied Assault)
- Call of Duty 2 (which focused on the Pointe du Hoc sector)
- Company of Heroes' 1st tutorial level

What else is there? Conker's Bad Fur Day? We've really only done the Omaha/Utah Beach landing like, twice as far as mainstream WW2 shooters go. Yet you'd think it's like the WW2 equivalent of the Hoth level or something the way people talk about how many times its been done.

I hear you on this one, my first reaction upon seeing this trailer was actually "It'll be interesting to experience a Normandy Beach landing on modern hardware"

I feel you there.

The Hürtgen Forest level is brand-new to any World War II game and it's actually one of the longest, singular conflicts in U.S. military history.

The Liberation of Paris and pushing into Germany are things that we've never seen before in a game - depending on the conflicts that they choose - but I agree with you, the Normandy invasion has me the most interested so far and my main interest is just to see how many NPC's they can have running around on-screen.

I hear you on this one, my first reaction upon seeing this trailer was actually "It'll be interesting to experience a Normandy Beach landing on modern hardware"

Same here :)

Archpath1

I always wanted a next Gen WW2 fps, glad we're getting one again, so that's nice

Mostly to see what a developer can do with modern engine.

Hoping for solid gameplay, nothing to crazy, just innovate small stuff, make things easier and smart.

Like that social hub can offer a section like the FIRING RANGE in A.W. since these guys implemented it first

Bishop89

Most likely going to be health packs and Im going to be so fucking happy about that.

Or even no health packs like Counter-strike I'd be cool with

Dabi

So is the "Co-op campaign" just Nazi Zombies w/ a narrative? Ahahah man.

WWII looks great though. Looks like I'll be jumping in once again.

Most likely going to be health packs and Im going to be so fucking happy about that.

Or even no health packs like Counter-strike I'd be cool with

I think the IGN interview mentioned that aside from possible health packs, if you get injured you'll have to call-out to your company's medic!

I've always wanted that in a WWII game!

I've posted before.. But man I really hope this comes to switch. Mostly to play it because I'm a huge COD fan on nintendo consoles.. but also to see what the Switch is capable of and how it scales with PS4 and xbone. We've seen snake pass, I am setsuna, dragon quest, lego city undercover.. But this is a AAA game and it looks phenomenal. I wonder how the Switch version would compare if it comes out too.

WillyFive

I've posted before.. But man I really hope this comes to switch. Mostly to play it because I'm a huge COD fan on nintendo consoles.. but also to see what the Switch is capable of and how it scales with PS4 and xbone. We've seen snake pass, I am setsuna, dragon quest, lego city undercover.. But this is a AAA game and it looks phenomenal. I wonder how the Switch version would compare if it comes out too.

Adtivision refused to bring Advance Warfare to the Wii U despite a 360/PS3 version existing, so they are certainly not gonna do it for Switch without an existing version that runs on that type of hardware.

Boke1879

I mean this wasn't reactionary, which I think people are overlooking this. Sledgehammer was given the go ahead for WWII not long after AW and away before BO3 released.

This. Pretty much. And likes and dislikes don't translate into sales.

That said. I'm seeing way more positive reaction to this than IW

Vibranium

Banned
Do we know if Red will talk outside of cutscenes? Thought I saw him say "hold on!" in the first-person scene in the trailer where he loses his grip on the soldier who falls off of the tower.

Also, I find it funny how we have another playable guy nicknamed Red after Brothers in Arms had a certain soldier featured in it.

TheShocker

I'm in. Day one. Hopefully this will take advantage of the Pro/Scorpio. I'm curious to see what kill streaks will be in the game.

I wish the developers the best, and good on people who've missed WW2 games, but I've already played this exact game, many many times. The patriotism is pandering and tasteless. I find it juvenile.

Secondly, there are so many untold stories and perspectives they could choose, from the Russian and Axis perspectives.
But this is a game that once again frames it like the only stories worth telling is from the American and Allied perspective, and often in the same areas and operations.

It highlights the immaturity at place. It becomes even more offensive and an eye sore, when the best campaign Call of Duty has EVER had, was the Russian campaign in the very first game. That is still to my mind, the most hearthitting and sickening piece of WW2 gameplay that I have played, and I think COD has never really been on the forefront of making aything in its single player since then, that really pushed the envelope.

Don't forget that COD was highly derritive from Allied Assault to begin with, and while it was a superior technical game, it was clear to me, even back that, that Allied Assault had superior art and sound design. COD had this clay look to it, but it had a really fun arcadey multiplayer. The second one, had some memorable North African segments, but the introduction of Halo-life recharge struck me as tone deaf.
I don't really subscribe to edgy "Cod Suxx00r0rz" But I cannot deny, that I have always have a strained relationship with the series. The Russian campaign of the first game, was the seminal new thing it offered, and frankly, I am still exhausted from WW2 fatigue.

When COD1 came out, many people requested that it would be interesting to have a campaign from other perspectives. From Finish rebels fighting against Russia, spanish resistence against Franco, to British and french held colonies fighting all over the world, from the perspective of a german soldier in the nightmare that is the russian theather - the most deadly and horrific battles of all the war. The complete insanity of millions of soldiers being sent in shorts and with light coats into die in the siberian winter, or having to be a russian civilian turned sniper, trying to survive a siege as desperation and cannibalism takes over.
There are so many many many amazing and dramatic real world tales. I have no disrespect to D-Day or the sacrifices made, but come on.
Maybe there are younger games who didn't go through the last terrible obnoxious and drawn out WW2 period we had in gaming. And there is nothing wrong with introducing the big stories and battles to a new generation, but I cannot be excited over this like I was excited over the BF1 reveal, even if BF1 remained uncommitted to the pacing of WW1, they showed aspects of that war which had never been seen like this.

Still though, I am excited for the people who are excited about this. I know a lot of people cannot get enough of this, and psychologically there often is this thing with when a country goes throug bad times that embarrasses its populace, it looks to its past glories in story and entertainment to try and remind itself what made it great in the first place. During the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, there was this massive influx of westerns being popular, and there studies that have highlighted this phenomenon going back to previous controversial periods in American history.

How do you have a dark theme? My YouTube is all white.

It's in beta. You have to activate it through the console. Not everyone have access to it, but they new layout is really fucking cool. You can hide nearly every sidebar, bullshit and other elements. <3 Amazing!

Top Bottom