• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A SINGLE aspect kept me from loving this game"

my entries

-Kingdoms of Alumar/Amalur/Almanur-
Loved the combat & the lore, enjoyed questing and got to a point where i practically one shotted a boss..tuned out completely.
Difficulty: it stopped being fun when the challenge dropped to zero :(

-Demon Souls-
arguably the best bestiary, combat and lore of any action RPG i played.. killed by 1st enemy.. kept getting killed by everything..i never really got all that far, yet clocked 8 hrs.
Difficulty: except the polar opposite, just don't have the time or dedication it takes to handle THIS much challenge..a wuss mode would have helped me out.

-Little big Planet- (both)
A dream concept, vibrant?whimsical? user generated content? played both returned both.
Physics: i just can't get over the jump physics, i'm glad it has a huge following but the floaty jump physics will ensure i can never enjoy all it has to offer.

-Lair-
Don't laugh, i loved the premise and tried to play as intended..
CONTROLS: should have been made for controllers first. :(
RIP something5

DR2K

Banned
SFXTK Fun game, cool concept, deep fighter with a ton of mechanics to work around.
Cacpcom.

Sethos

Banned
Red Dead Redemption Multiplayer;

Lots of great ideas, fantastic game, epic premise for multiplayer and lots of seemingly great MP modes.

But ...

Optional aim-assist? lolbye.

Dylan

Final Fantasy Tactics

29-capture_29012011_104241.png

THIS BULLSHIT FIGHT.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, it didn't stop me from liking it (I absolutely love the game), but The Witcher 2's Dark Mode armor effect made me abruptly stop my second playthrough.

Dark Souls: The terrible frame rate in Blighttown. I know the PC version is supposed to be locked at 30FPS, but I'm hoping someone makes a trainer or something to unlock it if it is indeed true.

Final Fantasy 12 - its backwards controllers. If there was an option for inverted/regular controls I could play but, as is, it drives me crazy.

wingz

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Interesting battle system.

Could not get pass the character designs. Just stopped playing after a few hours.

EmSeta

Majora's Mask - The time limit.

Dead Rising - The time limit.

Silent Hill Homecoming - No Y axis inversion option.

Splinter Cell HD Collection - No Y axis inversion option.

SSX 4 and on - The wonky prewinding controls.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Demon's Souls - The inability to opt out of PVP while online. The top of a long list of bizarre design choices in this game but the only one that I truly hated.

ultron87

Demon Soul's
- Health items being a consumable you had to farm. I could not just constantly retry a boss or difficult level because every time I did it I was consuming Grass that I'd have to go find more of. Fixing this was the best thing Dark Souls did.

LiK

I don't think the fight is that bad. The bad part is that if you can't beat Wiegraf then there is no way to leave and you effectively have to restart the entire game.

Huh? Can't you just restart a save before the fight? I did that on the SNES PSOne ver and grinded for hours in other battles to take him on. Toughest fight evar.

Star Fox 64 - All-Range Mode bosses and levels. I still really like the game, but those really prevented the game from becoming greatness IMO.

InFamous - the god-tier sniping that random enemies will do as you get closer to the end of the game. Still a fun game, but really annoying at times due to that.

Yoshi's Island DS - The horrible, horrible music. Seriously, I find the game unplayable because of it, yet I really enjoyed the game when I played it at a demo kiosk with no sound.

I hated the hub for Mario Galaxy so much that I traded it in. I loved 2 though.
I totally agree with this. I like Galaxy, but love Galaxy 2 for that exact reason.

Kalnos

Banned
Huh? Can't you just restart a save before the fight? I did that on the SNES ver and grinded for hours in other battles to take him on. Toughest fight evar.

There's a fight outside the castle, then an option to save, and then it immediately throws you into the Wiegraf fight with no way to escape. If you're a poor enough bastard (me) to only have one save file you're fucked.

Star Ocean 4 on 360...

Loved the combat, accepted the cheesiness of the characters and dialogue, but once i realized i was under leveled in the final area i couldn't motivate myself to go through constant trial and error with disc swaps thinking maybe just maybe ive grinded enough to finally beat this fucking game (i went back and forth about 5 times before i gave up... fuck that end game grind... wouldn't have been such an issue if i didn't have to swap discs so fucking much... only time disc swaps bothered me).

game is still on my to finish list... but its very low priority :( I should really just buy the PS3 version.

Pretty much any game with auto-attack and no option for manual.

Star Ocean 4 - the story, characters, and awful animations when running around and during cutscenes.

LiK

There's a fight outside the castle, then an option to save, and then it immediately throws you into the Wiegraf fight with no way to escape. If you're a poor enough bastard (me) to only have one save file you're fucked.

Ahhh, I see.

Myriadis

Suikoden V
Tons of characters, wonderful soundtrack, lots of cool sidequests (the racing minigame is one of the best I've ever played in a non-racing game) and fun gameplay.
- Loading...loading....loading..... after every single battle and map change.

Turok 2

Huge levels, insanely awesome weapons, nice difficulty, still some good graphics
- Such a low constant Framerate that it actually makes me nauseatic.

Starfox Adventures
Good soundtrack, nice,fun gameplay and awesome graphics
- Surely would've been a lot better if Rare had more time to work on it.

Prince of Persia 2008
Great characters, good flow in the platform mechanics, nice VA, excellent artstyle
- horrible Battle System

goodfella

LA Noire, shitty integration of the interrogation options into the writing.

Not sure if I phrased that accurately, but I think anyone who has played the game found the same flaw as I did.

The game was Gears of War and the single aspect was the whole game.

I don't know if this was intended, but what you said came off as a desperate attempt to shit on the game, rather than an attempt to reply to the thread in any meaningful way.

foxdvd

GTA4....checkpoints. I don't need mid-mission checkpoints, but having one at the start of a mission would have been nice.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The game was Gears of War and the single aspect was the whole game.
Oh how very clever of you.

For the actual topic: Any game that I liked when playing the beta / demo but the retail version included a progression system that you have to play for tens of hours to unlock weapons.
Battlefield, Uncharted, Twisted Metal (it has an unranked mode though, so that's good) are the most recent ones that come to mind.

It's ridiculous if a game such as Guild Wars 2 which is a MMO which is a genre that is ostensibly about time sinks so you spend a lot of money over the years has better balancing in PVP than regular action games that come out every or every two years.

I actually really enjoyed GTA IV the first time I played it but I will never go back to play it again because I never want to deal with the cellphone calls and the relationship management, again.

linko9

Knights in the Nightmare: The ridiculously long tutorial. I wish they had been better about slowly introducing game mechanics in the early-game, so that I wasn't overwhelmed by a 2-hour long tutorial up front. Loved the art, music, and genre (both SRPGs and Shmups), but couldn't get past the very early stuff. I've always meant to return to that game, but probably never will.

LA Noire, shitty integration of the interrogation options into the writing.

Not sure if I phrased that accurately, but I think anyone who has played the game found the same flaw as I did.

I'm right with you. I love adventure games, and I adore noir films and 50s LA, but the whole "lie truth doubt" bullshit was insufferable. It was just a guessing game, and was completely inconsistent.

Dylan

Add me into the "poor bastard" category. In fact, I'm playing it through for my very first time on PSN, and I consciously made a decision to ignore all FAQs/Walkthroughs. Since the game keeps track of how many "moves" you make (i.e. by increasing the game date), I thought I would get some sort of bonus for progressing through as fast as possible. It turns out this is the very strategy that fucked me for the Wiegraf fight. Fuck you, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Turok 2

Huge levels, insanely awesome weapons, nice difficulty, still some good graphics
- Such a low constant Framerate that it actually makes me nauseatic.

I remember a lack of save points killed this game for me.

Top Bottom