• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Tadaima

Is anybody familiar with the TSE?

I am interested in investing domestically (I have Japanese corporate and personal bank accounts with Rakuten and UFJ), but I am not sure how to break into the market here.

Most of the resources I have found provide advice on investing from overseas and without domestic brokers or bank accounts.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah if we start seeing some actual forward momentum on EU reform this could be very good for Europe. I still think the US has been stealthily trying to sabotage the EU for years, to the point where even Hollywood has been influenced to portray the US and UK as best buddies and marginalize Europe. You see it in a lot of movies, for no apparent obvious business reason.

Don't expect the sequel to Kingsmen 2 to feature "The Frenchmen", more likely to have "The Chinamen".

Yeah if we start seeing some actual forward momentum on EU reform this could be very good for Europe. I still think the US has been stealthily trying to sabotage the EU for years, to the point where even Hollywood has been influenced to portray the US and UK as best buddies and marginalize Europe. You see it in a lot of movies, for no apparent obvious business reason.

Don't expect the sequel to Kingsmen 2 to feature "The Frenchmen", more likely to have "The Chinamen".
At the moment it seems more like the US just wants to buy EU companies here. Cheap money and all that going around of course.

Mrbob

I've been stockpiling vea the last couple years and it's really starting to pay off.

Not going to stop buying it either. Still think it has a long way up to go.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've been stockpiling vea the last couple years and it's really starting to pay off.

Not going to stop buying it either. Still think it has a long way up to go.

Yep had it too, part of a diversified portfolio. Switched to VUI (or VIU I forget, the equivalent in Vanguard's Canadian funds) when I moved most of my investments back in my Canadian account.

Euro falls -0,50% after the election, I'm a bit suprised it didn't rise further.

Double win for me, everything up & Le Pen lost. :D

Eager to see how US-market reacts.

Maybesew

Have you guys traded the canadian dollar a lot, or do you just move your funds back and forth from CAD accounts as a means of playing it?

I was thinking of buying some of the ftuures recently, but wasnt sure what was driving it down. I know it historically has an oil correlation, and I'm already long oil so i didn't want to also get long CAD if its going to track it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I expect the CAD to go lower, somewhere in the 60s. I have a US and Canadian account and can move money back and forth but I am trying to avoid that these days, want to be less active.

Maxximo

Nothing happened in the market today :|

NVDA earnings tomorrow. Oh boy

With the 1080ti + switch deal not counting all the other branches should be a really interesting earning report.

Probably gonna buy 200 today after selling my old position around 110$, someone still on NVDA?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I want to jump on Nvidia too. But have to sell Amazon to do that. Not sure I am up for that.

Tesla going up again, back over 320. Stop at 310 here, hopefully not too tight, but I don't want it to go back into a loss later on if it drops too much (which I think will happen sometime).

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
With the 1080ti + switch deal not counting all the other branches should be a really interesting earning report.

Probably gonna buy 200 today after selling my old position around 110$, someone still on NVDA?

I'm still long in NVIDIA, got in at $25.39 in October 2015. I've read some articles lately that suggest it may possibly drop significantly, but I'm not sure what to believe.

General question: Are you guys using trailing stop loss orders for your stocks? From what I've read, it seems there are mostly positive arguments if you don't set it too tight. Are there any reasons that speak against it? My bank unfortunately doesn't support trailing stop loss orders, but I've thought about gradually moving my portfolio to an online broker since the fees of my bank are also horrendously high.

Also, did anyone buy into NVAX when it hit the bottom after the failed RSV phase III? Went up 30% today after quarterly results. Still my single biggest loss position, but at least I've learned not to gamble on biotech stocks in the future.

General question: Are you guys using trailing stop loss orders for your stocks? From what I've read, it seems there are mostly positive arguments if you don't set it too tight. Are there any reasons that speak against it? My bank unfortunately doesn't support trailing stop loss orders, but I've thought about gradually moving my portfolio to an online broker since the fees of my bank are also horrendously high.
My bank doesn't support it, but I do it manually with almost all stocks. I do set them too tight and then get stopped out a few times and see it go back up again later. But I think setting them is the smart thing to do on individual stocks.

ColdPizza

Banned
Also, did anyone buy into NVAX when it hit the bottom after the failed RSV phase III? Went up 30% today after quarterly results. Still my single biggest loss position, but at least I've learned not to gamble on biotech stocks in the future.

Haha, I almost don't want to talk about NVAX. Took a huge loss on it.

I'm still waiting for more solid info before I buy any more shares. They have a long road ahead of them.

I've been long NVDA since $11.80. I have been slowly reducing my position recently so I could buy more TSLA though lol.

TSLA just keeps surging. Get it, "surging"? Hahahaha, right? Never mind. :|

Wow at Nvidia. I miss the boat again.
You and me both. But well, can't get mad at it. For every opportunity you miss, there might also have been a disaster losing you money.

Nice closing for Tesla though, I'm happy there.

Numbers for Ahold tomorrow. Hopefully it gets pushed back over 20 again and rises further from there this year. At a small loss now, but should be fine.

Mrbob

What do you mean by quick in and out? Weeks, months? Quick timetable means riskier stocks like small biotechs which could give you a fast gain or big loss.

TSLA broke through it's all time high today but solar roof is ridiculously awesome.

If you're looking to go to Mars, you might want to get in. Anyone else casually says his company will have a $1 trillion market cap and I would laugh. Elon says it and I'm paying attention because he literally lands rockets.

Draper

I want to get in to stock trading, but I know next to nothing of the field. Are you guys self-taught, or have you done a bit of reading on the matter?

Maxximo

Need some advice on stocks. Need some quick in and out stocks to buy, and im wondering what i should buy.

If you need the money you are thinking to use for day trading then don't even think about it. I think the number of people actually ripping a profit trading daily is less than 1 out of 10.

Stock are very unsafe in the short term.

About a weeks time.
You can do two things:

- Look for companies that are going to report numbers and bet on them doing well (or go short if you bet they don't, but I don't know how shorting is done really).
- Look for stocks that are moving within a certain range, bet they are going to continue that and buy and sell. This can be stuff that makes you 2% per trade or so.

Both are risky, since things can turn out very differently because of events you have zero control over, so don't use money you can't stand to lose. Also, don't expect massive gains. You read here about people getting in on certain stocks at a perfect time, but most won't post about the stuff that has them lose money.

If you need the money you are thinking to use for day trading then don't even think about it. I think the number of people actually ripping a profit trading daily is less than 1 out of 10.

Stock are very unsafe in the short term.

You can do two things:

- Look for companies that are going to report numbers and bet on them doing well (or go short if you bet they don't, but I don't know how shorting is done really).
- Look for stocks that are moving within a certain range, bet they are going to continue that and buy and sell. This can be stuff that makes you 2% per trade or so.

Both are risky, since things can turn out very differently because of events you have zero control over, so don't use money you can't stand to lose. Also, don't expect massive gains. You read here about people getting in on certain stocks at a perfect time, but most won't post about the stuff that has them lose money.

Thanks for the advice!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, I bought shares a month ago, but it's still hovering around +- 0%.

Time to make some money. ;)

On another note I bought more First Solar shares. My loss is now down from -25% to -17%, so hopefully they keep up the momentum and I'm back in the green.

Be careful trying to cut your losses on solar stocks, or you'll end up with an oversized investment in a risky asset. I did that with SCTY and TAN before. Thankfully SCTY was bought by TSLA but I'm still down like 25% on it.

NVDA $200 Moon shot mission log day 2:

Primary solid rocket boosters burn complete. Separation was successful. Second stage boosters are firing. We are go for Earth orbit. Mission status is all green.

I'm really hoping this rocket doesn't explode lol

Top Bottom