• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

If it sold that many, then that's a lot of people who aren't going to be coming back for Ninja Gaiden 4.

The other games were all single format non-worldwide releases, so I'm taking some solace in that.

Robot Pants

Finally got done grinding my ninja's katana up to level 10, so I can have the Dragon Sword for the trials. The competitive multiplayer in this is comically bad.

God is it ever. I had to do the same thing. I tried playing a few times for real but its such a joke. I just did ghost kills when I could to level up my sword and hoped my team won.
If you ever need help on some trials let me know.
I know of an easy way to complete UN03. You and your partner just separate the two Ryus, and when Ryu is walking towards you, about 5 steps away, XYXXY and repeat.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's sad when you know that you'd rather be playing NG2/2S or DMC: HD Collection instead of this game. Oh man.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
"Ninja Gaiden 3, despite poor critical reception, sold 456k for the month of March 2012, making it the fastest selling NG to date. 'The fans have spoken, and that's the most important thing' says Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi"
disappointed.gif

ryan13ts

"Ninja Gaiden 3, despite poor critical reception, sold 456k for the month of March 2012, making it the fastest selling NG to date. 'The fans have spoken, and that's the most important thing' says Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi"

If this is true, it's likely that the vast majority of people who bought this game were likely casual gamers who don't read up on games constantly like us and were lured in with the name 'Ninja Gaiden', thinking it would be a good game just like the previous 2.

I can only imagine the horror that's unfolded on 456,000 people's faces as they began to play this abomination.

So I've just completed day 7 and saved just before what I presume to be the final stage/boss. I'll be honest, I'm not hating it quite as much as I thought I would when I started out. Getting the 3rd sword was awesome and I guess made some of the combat a little more interesting, at least to look at. Day 3 is one of the worst stages I have had to endure in a game to date. However a lot of stuff leading up to where I am now - has been surprisingly enjoyable. That said, the game is just as much a travesty of cheap attacks as ninja gaiden 2 ever was.

For the few things it does right, there is no excuse for the wonky aiming and hit detection. It has caused death more times on harsh difficulty than I'd like to mention. Worse again, are the enemies relying on ridiculous levels of grab attacks with huge damage to raise the difficulty. There are very few interesting enemies to battle against later in the game, mostly just grab crazed minions. The biggest issue is the tendency for Ryu to go completely unresponsive when shit gets hectic. On hard it hits some stupid levels and causes numerous deaths. The final fight against regent of the mask was soul crushing for me. I died at least 40 times. The first 10 or so were because I was reckless. At some point I had every one of his moves memorised and was dodging and countering perfectly. However once he hit half ish health and started spamming the ranged grab move - my frame rate took a hit (I think it might be related to how much of his blood is on the ground) and Ryu was useless. I literally died 20-30 times simply because I couldn't move or dodge whilst he went grab crazy. It would have been a semi enjoyable battle if it weren't for that. In the end I got lucky and he spammed an easily dodged kick combo and went easy on the grabs.

I hope the last stage does not take the massive nose dive day 3 took.

ultim8p00

Banned
So I've just completed day 7 and saved just before what I presume to be the final stage/boss. I'll be honest, I'm not hating it quite as much as I thought I would when I started out. Getting the 3rd sword was awesome and I guess made some of the combat a little more interesting, at least to look at. Day 3 is one of the worst stages I have had to endure in a game to date. However a lot of stuff leading up to where I am now - has been surprisingly enjoyable. That said, the game is just as much a travesty of cheap attacks as ninja gaiden 2 ever was.

For the few things it does right, there is no excuse for the wonky aiming and hit detection. It has caused death more times on harsh difficulty than I'd like to mention. Worse again, are the enemies relying on ridiculous levels of grab attacks with huge damage to raise the difficulty. There are very few interesting enemies to battle against later in the game, mostly just grab crazed minions. The biggest issue is the tendency for Ryu to go completely unresponsive when shit gets hectic. On hard it hits some stupid levels and causes numerous deaths. The final fight against regent of the mask was soul crushing for me. I died at least 40 times. The first 10 or so were because I was reckless. At some point I had every one of his moves memorised and was dodging and countering perfectly. However once he hit half ish health and started spamming the ranged grab move - my frame rate took a hit (I think it might be related to how much of his blood is on the ground) and Ryu was useless. I literally died 20-30 times simply because I couldn't move or dodge whilst he went grab crazy. It would have been a semi enjoyable battle if it weren't for that. In the end I got lucky and he spammed an easily dodged kick combo and went easy on the grabs.

I hope the last stage does not take the massive nose dive day 3 took.

Master Ninja is like the Regent boss fight over and over and over. Everybody grabs you in the middle of combos and you can't do shit, especially when you are being swarmed by enemies. The framerate takes a nose dive, so you can't even doge properly or shuriken-cancel your moves. There are so many enemies on screen that your combos are randomly switching from enemy to enemy every so often. When you think you are trying to do an OT on a dying enemy to avoid another enemy that is telegraphing a grab, BOOM the game fucking travels you right into his arms and you loose 3/4 of your health to a single grab.

Fuck Hayashi and Co, fucking idiots.

Mdk7

Hayashi the fans told you to fuck off.

Uh huh. Let's see what the sales are like next month after everyone figures out it's garbage. Even that abortion Final Fantasy XIII managed to trick enough people to make close to a million sales before people realized they'd been hoodwinked and sales plummeted.

At least Hayashi isn't fucking up Dead or Alive, if impressions of the DOA5 demo are any indication.

It's sad when you know that you'd rather be playing NG2/2S or DMC: HD Collection instead of this game. Oh man.

It's not sad at all. This release of NG3 has caused me to replay Ninja Gaiden Black and I enjoyed the shit out of my free Sunday. It's also caused me to anticipate DMC:HD. Appreciating good games that deserved to be appreciated, no shame in that.

EDIT: It is sad for NG3's perspective. I guess.

Victrix

*beard*
Finished it.

This game is like a 6 or a 7 as a generic action game

As a Ninja Gaiden it's a complete and total fucking failure

One weapon

One Ninpo

Auto-homing bow

Useless shuriken

Incredibly repetitive combat due to UT/Ninpo design

Incredibly repetitive animations in combat due to SoB design

Limited enemy variety

No decapitation/gibbing/enemy harming outside some very limited boss fight QTEs

No items

Linear levels

No exploration

No adventure elements

Extremely minimal platforming

No store, no karma, no essence

Terrible, terrible QTEs everywhere

Boring boss fights

Bland level design

Idiotic onscreen tutorial elements

Positives:

Slide dodge was nice

Ryu was actually a badass, I was amazed the awful story somehow didn't taint him

Cinematic animations from QTEs were all badass

Combat animations were brutal - but they eventually became very repetitive and were just really weird looking when they didn't cause any lasting damage, leaving enemies crawling around after you just cut them in half... without cutting them in half

60fps... mostly.

Quick restart times if you died

--

Ugh. What a goddamn trainwreck. How do you take something with so much raw potential as NG2 and turn it into this... thing.

I'll set my clock to Devil's Third and Kamiya's next game, try to cover my eyes when DmC comes out, and ignore anything Team Ninja does. NG is dead unless another developer takes over.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

"Voting with your wallet" lol

sonicmj1

Why are people taking this quote, created in jest, at face value? March isn't even over yet!

Or is my sarcasm detector totally busted?

Victrix

*beard*
Oh, something else I forgot to rant about

I'm pretty sure all those stupid fucking QTEs with their cool animations are what caused the other weapons to be removed

I'd need to see some footage of the Claws in action, but that's my guess, based on the SoB combat and all the ridiculous animations in QTEs that involve the sword directly

Yes, that's right, QTEs > weapon variety

The other option is that they're just removed to be sold as DLC.

Pick whichever pisses you off more.

Robot Pants

SOB sounds probably true. It would mean a lot more work to make those animations for a bunch of other weapons. Sometimes you see a shot of the enemy's back and there is a sword sticking through it. They can't just cut and paste in some weapons and make it look right, a lot more work is involved.
But then again who knows.
I know the claws and scythe are free, but I'm sure there will be more weapons down the road that will be sold as DLC. I'm sure they will sell them as they are completed (all the work I mentioned above).

Carbonox

Fuck off it sold that much and Hayashi is using that as justification for the game. :|

I really hope 99% of those purchases were from people who don't read online reviews and went in blind. The other 1% being people like me who had a morbid sense of curiosity.

Robot Pants

I can almost guarantee next month won't be looking so hot. Yea the first month is decent, a lot of people are here bought it with optimism and downright hated it. I'm sure April will look horrible for this game, and it will get worse as time goes on.

I really think most people are exaggerating about this game, especially the reviews. A 3??? Seriously. That essentially means that the game is unplayable and completely broken. Even my ultra critical, picky friend said NG3 was a solid 6.5 to a 7 and was expecting much, much worst due to the reviews. Not to mention he is a hardcore fan of NG1 and NG2 like me. Surely, it cannot be worst than Vampire Rain which is by far the worst travesty of the generation. Yeah, I know NG1 and NG2 where the pinnacle of action games, and this is supposedly stripped down but from what I looked at, it isn't a 3. Maybe the upcoming DLC will help out some? Who knows? I am going in with the lowest expectations ever. Then again a lot of people didn't like NG2 even though I thought it was superior gameplay-wise to NG1 without any doubt. I doubt I am going to pay $60 for this one at this point. I actually enjoyed Onechanbara and Ninja Blade, so hopefully, this will at least be as good as those LOL.

∀ Narayan;36431423 said:
Oh dear god. That would be terrible.

Well, it's like a catch 22. If it sold that well which I'm doubting, then we might get an improved NG4 that hopefully rectifies most of the issues of NG3 since they could of learned from their mistakes. On the contrary, if it flops, then the franchise could be dead forever meaning less hack and slashers and more shooters........

MechaX

Given how this industry is, I actually would not be surprised if this actually does end up happening.

benzy

Oh, something else I forgot to rant about

I'm pretty sure all those stupid fucking QTEs with their cool animations are what caused the other weapons to be removed

I'd need to see some footage of the Claws in action, but that's my guess, based on the SoB combat and all the ridiculous animations in QTEs that involve the sword directly

Yes, that's right, QTEs > weapon variety

The other option is that they're just removed to be sold as DLC.

Pick whichever pisses you off more.

All I ever see is the same 2-3 different animations for the SOB. The obliteration techniques in ng2 are more varied than this with the animations changing depending on which body part was cut off, which weapon was being used, and sometimes which enemy.

Nif

"Fastest" selling Ninja Gaiden since it is the only multiplatform Ninja Gaiden. I had a feeling this would happen. Now they'll have an excuse to let him ruin the series further.

Zeliard

Given how this industry is, I actually would not be surprised if this actually does end up happening.

Hayashi's goal from the onset was to dumb the game down enough that it would sell to the masses. That's why he's so aloof. Of course it also helps the whole dumbing down process that he doesn't know how to make a NG game when he isn't picking up Itagaki's scraps.

Can't say this holds much promise for Ninja Gaiden 4.

Peff

"Fastest" selling Ninja Gaiden since it is the only multiplatform Ninja Gaiden. I had a feeling this would happen. Now they'll have an excuse to let him ruin the series further.

It's a joke. All signs actually point to this being an incredibly deadly bomba, given that it sold less than four thousand units combined in its debut week in the UK and it was beaten by the DMC collection in Japan. I'd be surprised if it even reaches 100K in the US.

knitoe

It's a joke. All signs actually point to this being an incredibly deadly bomba, given that it sold less than four thousand units combined in its debut week in the UK and it was beaten by the DMC collection in Japan. I'd be surprised if it even reaches 100K in the US.
Agree. I still don't understand how it's the fastest selling NG game since NGII sold 372K first month in US only.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I can almost guarantee next month won't be looking so hot. Yea the first month is decent, a lot of people are here bought it with optimism and downright hated it. I'm sure April will look horrible for this game, and it will get worse as time goes on.
Sales might dwindle for the HD twins, but I think Wii U will give it a boost.

Serious question for those that have played the game. We've already seen at least two iterations of each game in the past, so there's reason to believe a re-release could be coming in the future. It looks like most of the problems are lack of upgrades, pacing and enemy grabs. I know that's generalizing it a bit, but are these things that you think can be fixed at a later date, perhaps with a Sigma re-release?

At this point, shouldn't fans demand a Sigma 3?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Finished it.

This game is like a 6 or a 7 as a generic action game

As a Ninja Gaiden it's a complete and total fucking failure

One weapon

One Ninpo

Auto-homing bow

Useless shuriken

Incredibly repetitive combat due to UT/Ninpo design

Incredibly repetitive animations in combat due to SoB design

Limited enemy variety

No decapitation/gibbing/enemy harming outside some very limited boss fight QTEs

No items

Linear levels

No exploration

No adventure elements

Extremely minimal platforming

No store, no karma, no essence

Terrible, terrible QTEs everywhere

Boring boss fights

Bland level design

Idiotic onscreen tutorial elements

Positives:

Slide dodge was nice

Ryu was actually a badass, I was amazed the awful story somehow didn't taint him

Cinematic animations from QTEs were all badass

Combat animations were brutal - but they eventually became very repetitive and were just really weird looking when they didn't cause any lasting damage, leaving enemies crawling around after you just cut them in half... without cutting them in half

60fps... mostly.

Quick restart times if you died

--

Ugh. What a goddamn trainwreck. How do you take something with so much raw potential as NG2 and turn it into this... thing.

I'll set my clock to Devil's Third and Kamiya's next game, try to cover my eyes when DmC comes out, and ignore anything Team Ninja does. NG is dead unless another developer takes over.
Profound headshaking sadness :(.

R.I.P NG.

Carbonox

It turned him in to Nero from Devil May Cry 4.

WHY COULDN'T I SAVE YOU CANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CAAAAAAAANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CAAAAANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fuck off.

Game even jacked Devil May Cry 4's plot thread of using a girl as the 'heart' of a giant statue demon.

Zeliard

Sales might dwindle for the HD twins, but I think Wii U will give it a boost.

Serious question for those that have played the game. We've already seen at least two iterations of each game in the past, so there's reason to believe a re-release could be coming in the future. It looks like most of the problems are lack of upgrades, pacing and enemy grabs. I know that's generalizing it a bit, but are these things that you think can be fixed at a later date, perhaps with a Sigma re-release?

At this point, shouldn't fans demand a Sigma 3?

God no. :p The Sigmas were built off games that Itagaki led, and were basically inferior. A Sigmatized version of a Hayashi-led Ninja Gaiden would be a fairly nightmarish proposition. 7th circle of hell type stuff.

Tain

To add to the very small list of positives, I like that NG3 was made around having no healing items whatsoever, and I wouldn't mind seeing that in the excellently designed Ninja Gaiden 4 that we'll never get.

ss_lemonade

It turned him in to Nero from Devil May Cry 4.

WHY COULDN'T I SAVE YOU CANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CAAAAAAAANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CAAAAANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fuck off.

Game even jacked Devil May Cry 4's plot thread of using a girl as the 'heart' of a giant statue demon.
MURDERERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Not used to having so much drama in a Ninja Gaiden game lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
God no. :p The Sigmas were built off games that Itagaki led, and were basically inferior. A Sigmatized version of a Hayashi-led Ninja Gaiden would be a fairly nightmarish proposition. 7th circle of hell type stuff.

I would agree with on Black vs. Sigma, but having not played NG2, I get the impression a lot of people think NGS2 is an improvement. I can't comment personally though. NGB in itself had a lot of improvements over vanilla NG, so that's more of what I was talking about. Tecmo has released at least two iterations of each game so far, so hopefully they'll address these issues in the future the same way they did with NG vs. NGB.

danmaku

I would agree with on Black vs. Sigma, but having not played NG2, I get the impression a lot of people think NGS2 is an improvement. I can't comment personally though. NGB in itself had a lot of improvements over vanilla NG, so that's more of what I was talking about. Tecmo has released at least two iterations of each game so far, so hopefully they'll address these issues in the future the same way they did with NG vs. NGB.

They may add some content in the WiiU/Sigma version (more weapons, more levels, more characters, etc.), and this could address some of the game's problems, but I don't think they'll touch the core engine. All those changes were made on purpose, it's not like TN suddendly forgot how they created the previous games. And if the game bombs, there won't be any Sigma.

duckroll

Hey guys, you want REAL sales figures? The land of the rising sun has done us PROUD!

04./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.03.22} (¥4.990) - 43.791 / NEW

05./00. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.03.22} (¥8.190) - 29.797 / NEW

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. They know Ninja Dogshit when they smell it, and Hayashit is the smelliest one of them all! He thought he could shit on Ninja Gaiden, but everyone SHAT ON HIM INSTEAD! :D

Team Ninja Dog's new original game accomplishments so far:
Metroid: The Other M
Ninja Gaiden 3
Dead or Alive 5 <--- ????

To add to the very small list of positives, I like that NG3 was made around having no healing items whatsoever, and I wouldn't mind seeing that in the excellently designed Ninja Gaiden 4 that we'll never get.

I also don't mind it either. In NGB, you either have too many health potions to really be in danger(on Normal), or you just start relying on them on harder difficulties to fudge your way through tough battles. I would like a good NG that says, "This is your health, this is the fight, survive". You can still increase your health through collectibles like Live of the Gods and whatnot, that could be a good reward.

rvy

Banned
Hey guys, you want REAL sales figures? The land of the rising sun has done us PROUD!

04./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.03.22} (¥4.990) - 43.791 / NEW

05./00. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.03.22} (¥8.190) - 29.797 / NEW

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. They know Ninja Dogshit when they smell it, and Hayashit is the smelliest one of them all! He thought he could shit on Ninja Gaiden, but everyone SHAT ON HIM INSTEAD! :D

Team Ninja Dog's new original game accomplishments so far:
Metroid: The Other M
Ninja Gaiden 3
Dead or Alive 5 <--- ????

This pleases me greatly.

MechaX

duckroll's Team Ninja Dog hate never gets old, even if always cranked up to 11.

Top Bottom