• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be the regional bird, rodent or insect.

tumblr_m1ksnec8K11rq14m7o1_500.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
PSY・S;46219779 said:
This is a great concept:
"I read somewhere that Fennekin is a noble lady, Froakie is a sneaky thief and Chespin is a knight, so I wanted to go with that idea for my evolutions. I considered giving him a quill sword but that was too similar to oshawott so I gave him leaf arm shields instead. This'll probably get scrapped later, so enjoy it while its here."

Looks like its tail is on fire. Finally, the Grass / Fire Pokemon we've been waiting for.

Drago

The deer legendary looks way too flashy and overdesigned to me. I hate it.

I kinda like the y bird, but I'm not a big fan of it's color scheme.

I really hope they cut down on the legendary count too. 6-7 is more than enough for me.

I think this is one of the first times I genuinely like all of the starter Pokemon's.

Here's hoping they don't screw up the evolutions.
I agree with this. If all the evolutions are good as well, I'll seriously be in dilemma mode on what to choose for the first playthrough.

I really hope they cut down on the legendary count too. 6-7 is more than enough for me.

Six is the best. A new legendary trio, the two legendaries from the box, and a special event legendary.

I guess seven is fine if we really have to have another legendary for the inevitable third version.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, I tried playing the remake of the original Pokemons. I missed the whole original Pokemon releases (I was "too old"). Didn't really get into the remake. I think a lot of it was just old game design stuff.

What may have changed from the original to these version? Besides the graphics, obviously.

You guys are just so damn excited for this, I feel I should give it another chance. Plus, you know. My 3DS is a fairly useless paperweight at the moment.

Alright, a reason to get back in Pokémon. Was disappointed with the 4th gen and didn't feel as the 5th gen interest me enough to pick it up.

3-D is exactly what this franchise needed and I can't wait to see what else Game Freak has in store, especially with how they intend to ultilize Nintendo Network. Gives me a reason to pick up a 3DS as well.

Grakl

So, I tried playing the remake of the original Pokemons. I missed the whole original Pokemon releases (I was "too old"). Didn't really get into the remake. I think a lot of it was just old game design stuff.

What may have changed from the original to these version? Besides the graphics, obviously.

You guys are just so damn excited for this, I feel I should give it another chance. Plus, you know. My 3DS is a fairly useless paperweight at the moment.

The Pokemon. The game is essentially the same, except B2/W2's battles were faster overall.

No it doesn't. You would never use a fire attack on a water type. It's essentially the same.

FireRed, I had a Charmander. That was all I had, didn't want to catch another Pokemon yet. So my Charmeleon at the time took Misty. Flamethrower all up in dis bitch, based fire.

WanderingWind

The Pokemon. The game is essentially the same, except B2/W2's battles were faster overall.

Okay, but great timing for the below.

FireRed, I had a Charmander. That was all I had, didn't want to catch another Pokemon yet. So my Charmeleon at the time took Misty. Flamethrower all up in dis bitch, based fire.

This was one of the things I was talking about. I kept asking "why would I ever change my Charmander guy" out and never really had to. Figured that had been fixed up by now. Have there been any gameplay tweaks along the way?

Full disclosure: I did not beat the game. I did like, the second or third gym before just kinda stopping.

Monster Hunter + Pokemon?

Best handheld.

I've never played the Monster Hunters. But I've wasted enough hours in teh Pokemans to know I will enjoy. And I've honestly been waiting for the series to make the move to full 3D for a long while.

I'll probably Monster Hunt some day.

You get me so excited when you talk dirty.
Dirty as a gradeschooler of late sad to say.

I think I'm getting old.

Trey

This was one of the things I was talking about. I kept asking "why would I ever change my Charmander guy" out and never really had to. Figured that had been fixed up by now. Have there been any gameplay tweaks along the way?

Full disclosure: I did not beat the game. I did like, the second or third gym before just kinda stopping.

Variety is the spice of life. Also, some Pokemon are better suited to fight other Pokemon. It's more efficient to carry multiple dudes for maximum type coverage. So yes, you could power level one Pokemon and have it indiscriminately destroy all it faces, but that method is much slower and less satisfying than raising a team which complements one another.

Neiteio

Full 3D world, full 3D battles, full 3D characters, all in a mainline portable installment.

This is Pokemon's Super Mario 64.

Holy shit.

I don't think that would work in BW/B2W2. I never really tried it to be honest, but I found these games a bit more challenging than the prior ones. Aside from that, the higher the level of your own Pokemon, the less experience your Pokemon actually gets. In prior games your own Pokemon level didn't change the amount of experience you receive. So it's actually a lot better to train multiple lower level Pokemon than trying to boost only one, because there comes a point where you're really wasting your time since it'll level realllllllllly slow.

For the ones who love math, here's the formula.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope we get new Eeveelutions. :3
Me too. Dragon and Ghost especially.

Full 3D world, full 3D battles, full 3D characters, all in a mainline portable installment.

This is Pokemon's Super Mario 64.

Holy shit.
The "upgrade" to 3D won't mean jack to me unless they put a bigger emphasis on exploration and secrets. And I dunno, the art style is too janky for me to really feel like celebrating. :-\

Was this posted? Apparently from a press release
*In addition to existing Pokemon, there will be a large number of completely new Pokemon. *The additions will bring the total number of Pokemon in the franchise from the current 649 to over 700.
*Because of Pokemon X and Y, the Pokemon anime, movies, card game, and merchandise will “break into a new dimension.”
*People around the world will be able to simultaneously experience “Real Play.” (I’m assuming this is referring to the game’s global October release.)
*The game will utilize the 3DS to its maximum abilities to leverage its overwhelmingly beautiful presentation.
*The game uses an innovative communication system that makes it feel as if you are playing with other players around the world.
*The bonds between players and Pokemon will deepen, and Pokemon will become stronger with the new battle structure.
via gematsu

Anime reboot perhaps?
Why is everyone ignoring the final point? They mentioned this a lot of times in the anouncement trailer. However, new battle structure is new. I wonder if stats/attacks/evos are more closely tied to happiness/nature. They emphasized the point about developing stronger bonds a lot so maybe they are pushing for players to stick with their pokemon and not treat them as items.

Also anime wont reboot they'll just update the artstyle maybe more cg.
Dear god, please no.
That's what scares me with chespin is he could become an ugly fat bear or mole.

WanderingWind

I don't think that would work in BW/B2W2. I never really tried it to be honest, but I found these games a bit more challenging than the prior ones. Aside from that, the higher the level of your own Pokemon, the less experience your Pokemon actually gets. In prior games your own Pokemon level didn't change the amount of experience you receive. So it's actually a lot better to train multiple lower level Pokemon than trying to boost only one, because there comes a point where you're really wasting your time since it'll level realllllllllly slow.

Okay, awesome. So they've ...uh...evolved a bit. I'll probably pick this up and haunt PokeGAF with a lot of really dumb questions.

I'm going with the plant looking cow guy this time.

Me too. Dragon and Ghost especially.

The "upgrade" to 3D won't mean jack to me unless they put a bigger emphasis on exploration and secrets. And I dunno, the art style is too janky for me to really feel like celebrating. :-\
Jank?

I'll jank you!

I think it looks great. Retaining some of the charm of the prior games in the series, and tying reasonably close to the show.

It purty. Me wants.

Neiteio

The fully 3D battles alone make this a whole new beast. As for exploration and such, it looks like if nothing else it'll be a lot more interesting traversing the game world, swinging across chasms, crossing swaying bridges, etc.

The battles look perfect, though. Just the right blend of hand-drawn cel-shaded charm and full polygonal 3D. Seeing the old Pokemon was reassuring since it proved just how perfectly the new graphics capture them.

Grakl

The fully 3D battles alone make this a whole new beast. As for exploration and such, it looks like if nothing else it'll be a lot more interesting traversing the game world, swinging across chasms, crossing swaying bridges, etc.

I think they'll make the game look better by October, anyway.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm almost definitely going to be turning battle animations off, so I don't care about that.

And environmental features like you're describing are cool, but I want exploration, not just cosmetic features. I want this new region to feel more like a living, breathing world than the past games were able to achieve. I have zero faith in that happening, but it's what I want. I'll buy the game regardless. :lol

I think they'll make the game look better by October, anyway.
Yeah, I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom