• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

Persona 5's
**** Shido *****
Palace is a gigantic piece of lazy garbage. Was Atlus jealous of FFXV's Chapter 13?

gBF8FcG.png

Does it really have 0 redeeming qualities?

Sophia

Persona 5's
**** Shido *****
Palace is a gigantic piece of lazy garbage. Was Atlus jealous of FFXV's Chapter 13?

I've been trying to avoid gameplay spoilers of the later half, including this one. But everyone's complaints makes it sound like I'll like it. >_>

mollipen

Does it really have 0 redeeming qualities?

No, and I'd still rather play it than Chapter 13. But good god it's just so unashamed of presenting a neat idea and then completely running it into the ground.

I know it's probably not the case, but it does spark memories in me of that "we need to finish so just throw something together" feeing from FFXV's later hours.

daevious

I've been trying to avoid gameplay spoilers of the later half, including this one. But everyone's complaints makes it sound like I'll like it. >_>

Honestly, the same complaints could be levelled against
the penultimate dungeons in both Digial Devil Saga games. Miniboss rushes aren't exactly a new problem for SMT games.

Sophia

the penultimate dungeons in both Digial Devil Saga games. Miniboss rushes aren't exactly a new problem for SMT games.

Yeah, I was gonna say:
The approach to the final third of Persona 5 sounds very oldschool Atlus.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

That's not really the case with Shido's Palace. There are only 4 minibosses IIRC and they're relatively spread out. I'm guessing the mice puzzles and length are what don't site well with some people.
Personally I didn't have a problem with them in the slightest, I disliked Okumura's Palace a lot more. The storyline, music, visuals, and step up in difficulty made Shido's Palace one of my favorites.

GSR

The plot circumstances, graphical design, and music of that dungeon are fine. The gameplay gimmick is hot garbage, lol.

It's the only dungeon where I actively disliked the gameplay though. Most of the dungeons are solid in layout/gameplay and amazing in atmosphere/graphics.

The plot circumstances, graphical design, and music of that dungeon are fine. The gameplay gimmick is hot garbage, lol.

It's the only dungeon where I actively disliked the gameplay though. Most of the dungeons are solid in layout/gameplay and amazing in atmosphere/graphics.

Are you mostly annoyed with the
mouse gimmick
? Because if so I agree that it was pretty annoying, but yeah.

Favorite dungeons were probably
Kamoshida Palace, Futaba Pyramid, Kaneshiro Bank

GSR

Are you mostly annoyed with the
mouse gimmick
? Because if so I agree that it was pretty annoying, but yeah.

Yeah, that and the repetitive design for those segments. Overall,
backtracking and stealth
probably shouldn't be your key mechanics for your climactic JRPG dungeon. Really made it a slog to play through.

Lunar15

I haven't heard the whole soundtrack yet, but I feel I can confidently say that Blooming Villan and Keeper of Lust are the best dungeon boss theme and miniboss theme in the series.

Yeah, that and the repetitive design for those segments. Overall,
backtracking and stealth
probably shouldn't be your key mechanics for your climactic JRPG dungeon. Really made it a slog to play through.

BACKTRACKING. Worst part of that dungeon was getting to the part where you have to jump up on the side of the ship and climb a bunch of levels, but it not letting you actually jump because you had to go find the one guy in the restaurant to like activate it. SLIUFJKBAD

MSMrRound

Whew, seems to be a lot of black bars popping up around here (and very dangerous ones at that too imo)

With the release date drawing closer, I know a lot of the import players (like myself) are eager to play through it again, but just a gentle reminder to watch those spoilers.

If you ever need to, the import spoiler thread to discuss certain gameplay mechanics/impressions etc might be a better place to discuss those without fear of accidentally spoiling other users (we DO tend to get a lot of first-timers popping up in the community thread afterall, especially with the release of a new mainline title)

Several of us etc would be glad to help out new players with tips and answers if it's needed once the English build OT/spoiler thread gets created when the game is out

Cheers.

Gestahl

BACKTRACKING. Worst part of that dungeon was getting to the part where you have to jump up on the side of the ship and climb a bunch of levels, but it not letting you actually jump because you had to go find the one guy in the restaurant to like activate it. SLIUFJKBAD

The game explicitly tells you where to go there.

Lunar15

We'll definitely get an OT2 for this game, so if you're unhappy with Lupin the 5th, better start planning your best ideas now.

Meh.. I'm a bit dissapointed with the title to be honest.

It was voted on a while back in a poll that received over 200 votes.

What a tedious OT
No smart remark or catchphrase

Tedious? You should look into the triple entendre.

How about

Persona 5 |OT| Ann[e] got robbed first

Voting has concluded.

We'll definitely get an OT2 for this game, so if you're unhappy with Lupin the 5th, better start planning your best ideas now.

The consensus was that OT2 would be "Among Thieves."

Lunar15

I'd probably wait to fully determine the OT2 name, just because a lot of new jokes and associations with the game tend to pop up once people have started playing the game.

Among thieves isn't bad though.

I'd probably wait to fully determine the OT2 name, just because a lot of new jokes and associations with the game tend to pop up once people have started playing the game.

Among thieves isn't bad though.

True enough. "Among Thieves" is definitely more provisional.

Just hoping you all enjoy the OT, honestly.

Sophia

If you want to make an image smaller instead of taking up an entire 1080p screen, add quote tags around the img tag. That'll shrink it unless people click on it.

Dantis

Hey look, people are playing the game and agreeing with one if my complaints.

Who'd have seen that coming.

Told you that dungeon was kinda trash.

Those are the kind of things I think it might get marked down on. Still a great game though.

brian!

Sup persona fanz
2 quick questions since im a bit out of the loop, on amazon if i preorder the standard edition, that comes with a controller skin? And is it safe to buy the steelbook edition, i was reading that there was some issue but i havent really delved into it

Sup persona fanz
2 quick questions since im a bit out of the loop, on amazon if i preorder the standard edition, that comes with a controller skin? And is it safe to buy the steelbook edition, i was reading that there was some issue but i havent really delved into it

Standard Edition comes with the skin, yeah. Preordering should be fine, seems like it was an issue on Amazon's side. If anything happens, just reach out to them. I don't think there was a real problem with the product itself.

Awesome art by Soejima for the 20th Persona anniversary.

I've just discovered it, but I think it's a good time to remember it.

yeah, it's been around for a couple months but it's really phenomenal. LOVE seeing Soejima draw Kaneko characters.

Mediking

tumblr_oeoncp5msK1si48w3o1_r1_1280.png

Awesome art by Soejima for the 20th Persona anniversary.

I've just discovered it, but I think it's a good time to remember it.

The Persona 1 MC aka the only guy who isn't wearing black is really cool. Hard to find actual fanart of him. Actually gonna play P1 this weekend...

GSR

Those are the kind of things I think it might get marked down on. Still a great game though.

Dantis pls. People didn't give you grief in the import thread because you didn't like some of the dungeons, they gave you grief because you tried to critique the writing of a game you played in a language you don't speak, lol.

Nobody's saying P5 is perfect.

Setsu00

Dantis pls. People didn't give you grief in the import thread because you didn't like some of the dungeons, they gave you grief because you tried to critique the writing of a game you played in a language you don't speak, lol.

Nobody's saying P5 is perfect.

But didn't he also say that his complaints are not limited to the writing?

GSR

But didn't he also say that his complaints are not limited to the writing?

They're not, I just got a laugh out of "who could've seen this coming." P5 has issues that have been discussed for months in the import thread, this isn't news, and those aren't the reasons folks have had issues with some of Dantis' impressions.

Sorry for the snark, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Gestahl

The greatest proof possible that the dungeon is Good

It's interesting to read that people think Persona 5 will get marked down for a bad dungeon design when the highly praised Persona 4's worst aspect was ALL of its dungeons. I consider Persona 4 to be one of my all time favorite gaming experiences, but all of those dungeons were a complete chore. The writing, charm, music, and atmosphere all made up for it. The good heavily outweighed the bad. I'm imagining it'll be the same for Persona 5, no?

It's interesting to read that people think Persona 5 will get marked down for a bad dungeon design when the highly praised Persona 4's worst aspect was ALL of its dungeons. I consider Persona 4 to be one of my all time favorite gaming experiences, but all of those dungeons were a complete chore. The writing, charm, music, and atmosphere all made up for it. The good heavily outweighed the bad. I'm imagining it'll be the same for Persona 5, no?

Shouldn't be the case here, so far.. The Palaces in Persona 5 have been amazing. You're in for a real treat.

MSMrRound

The dungeon in question that Dantis was mentioning about, I actually quite like it a lot in terms of design (aka the overall look of the dungeon) and soundtrack. It is just that
it went on for a bit longer than what I would have preferred, until it felt like a bit of a slog to finish it

Gestahl

The dungeon in question that Dantis was mentioning about, I actually quite like it a lot in terms of design (aka the overall look of the dungeon) and soundtrack. It is just that
it went on for a bit longer than what I would have preferred, until it felt like a bit of a slog to finish it

I paced myself so I never had that issue. The gimmick repeats one or two more times than it should but that's all I felt from it.

Now the beginning of dungeon
and the ends of dungeons
4 and 5
, that shit is worth complaining about.
Massive backtracking, time limits, enemies spawning up your ass in coverless environments
, just an unpleasant affair all around.

Mediking

Dantis and I both agree that Marie is trash.

But will we both agree that this certain dungeon you guys keep talking about is trash?

Find out next time on Dragonball Z!

Top Bottom