• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

CLBridges

The environments seem cool. Gotta remember this is alpha and the game doesn't release until September. Also, seems the class he was playing just made footage seem extra FPS generic. Like showing footage of Mass Effect as soldier class, you would think all there was is shooting stuff and that's it.

it looks like more Destiny..
138269.gif

Varg

Banned
Had a feeling this was a bit too hyped :(

Looked like a boring borderlands. Cant judge the graphics from a low quality YouTube video, but I'm sure it will look good. Voice acting was really bad as well. I'll give it the benefit due to it being alpha, but your kidding yourself if you think it will drastically change though.

Pudge

But the worst kind of Halo (Reach). Competitive Multiplayer is going to be so disappointing I can feel it :( I want it to be good, I love Marty's music and Bungie's style but the gameplay looks so bad like Reach\Shadowrun. :\

Why are you lumping Shadowrun in with Reach? I like both games, but Shadowrun is amazing in its own right, and I have no idea what is similar between the two games.

belushy

Banned
But the worst kind of Halo (Reach). Competitive Multiplayer is going to be so disappointing I can feel it :( I want it to be good, I love Marty's music and Bungie's style but the gameplay looks so bad like Reach\Shadowrun. :\

What???

Pudge

I can totally believe it, because the Halo series was equally as boring and lifeless.

Nope. Halo 1 was clever, the enemy AI was unmatched, all the guns looked unique and felt amazing. The gun in this footage is just some standard machine gun where you look down the sights and fire. Why is that even in this supposed Sci-Fi game? Where did the originality go? Make some crazy weapons like the Needler or the Fuel Rod Cannon!

Everything I see about Destiny gets me less excited but I'm holding out hope that the pvp portion of the game will be amazing and the reason they haven't shown it is so COD and others can't rip off their ideas immediately.

Not really seeing what is special about this game. Only watched the first video so far. Can anyone give me a point of interest in any of the clips?

I man, it looks decent, but I don't see it living up to the hype at all.

ramuh

Please let me turn off that mmo enemy health bar and number shit

You don't want to know when the enemy is about dead? I personally like it as you won't have to waste an expensive round on killing a guy with like 5 hp. Or are you looking for more visual cues? Like the enemy slumping to the ground but still firing.

Crosseyes

Banned
Through first two so far, highlight for me was the 2nd one just free roaming and exploring.

Another underground let's see what's here... kinda dark... hear noises, radar says something's over there... WTF ARE THOSE? MY GUN ISN'T HURTING THEM. RUN AWAY.

Everything I see about Destiny gets me less excited but I'm holding out hope that the pvp portion of the game will be amazing and the reason they haven't shown it is so COD and others can't rip off their ideas immediately.
They've talked about pvp a bit so far. You bring in the same weapons you use in pve except you don't have ammo for heavy weapons.

LycanXIII

Should be noted that Dinklage is playing the role of your AI orb thing, so he's not a living human capable of expressing emotions.

GHG

lol...destiny seems to be going the way of watch_dogs with the reactions :

Well if Watch Dogs was anything to go by, GAF's reactions have 0 bearing on:

1. How good a game is and...
2. How well the game sells

So people can be negative Nancy's if they want, it makes no difference.

The beta will be what decides if I get destiny, but I'm really not feeling this footage. Looks like halo and borderlands had a baby minus the charm of either series. Pretty much what I expected I guess... Just kind of generic and dull looking.

By the way, you would think they would be able to disable streaming for games in production like this.

You don't want to know when the enemy is about dead? I personally like it as you won't have to waste an expensive round on killing a guy with like 5 hp. Or are you looking for more visual cues? Like the enemy slumping to the ground but still firing.

I just hate numbers popping out of the enemy , just a personal thing , would rather it was optional

While I'm still not interested in the game after the last gameplay video. I do have 3 things that impressed me about the first video I just watched. The equipment customization all the way down to equipping different boots, the environments look great, and that random friend drop-in.

EDIT: Damn, can't watch the other 2. He set them on private :(

What are you cynics talking about? It looks nothing like Halo, and it looks great. It's a big, adult Borderlands. The UI looks a lot better in these videos, too.

was about to talk my shit but then i realized that this is alpha footage...

i need to see more of the completed game to make proper judgement.

KdMgMan

There has to be a reason why Bungie stuck through with peter dinklage maybe ghost is supposed to sound like a monotone character.

Pudge

What are you cynics talking about? It looks nothing like Halo, and it looks great. It's a big, adult Borderlands. The UI looks a lot better in these videos, too.

Why would you make or want an adult Borderlands? Especially one that still has just a hint of that stupid cell shading in it if this gameplay is to be believed.

Bloodrage

Banned
Looks like a really standard fps in those videos... Sure doesnt show what this games doing that Borderlands didn't already.
Storytelling and potential lore already seems better than Borderlands 1 and 2 combined. There is nothing worthwhile beyond the gameplay. Can't say they're visually pleasing either. They almost look as bad as Telltale games.

Grief.exe

Why is he using so much ADS? It seems Destiny's combat doesn't force it on the player.

Peter Dinklage sounds like he phoned this one in.

REV 09

Watched all 3, it looks like halo visually and tonally, but with Borderlands gameplay. Disappointed to not see any vehicles. The enemy encounters don't seem very exciting or well designed.

Not sure I like Peter Dinklage as the vo. He sounds like he's just reading a script. I'm concerned that this game will be dull if played solo...it looked nice visually and the music was solid. I also liked the ui.

Top Bottom