• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

Loudninja

I wonder if it's going to bite them in the ass later on. Right now people imagination is going crazy because we haven't see the actual game yet. When they finally reveal it, could lead to a lof of dissapointment not because it's bad, but because it might be different with what people envision in their head.
They already reveal it to other people and it is exactly as GI and ND describe it.

Actually they are excited to see more.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death already or countered reasonably- but I feel like Naughty Dog is missing an opportunity to push gamers outside their comfort zones a little by having us play as Ellie instead. I remain very hyped for this nonetheless. :D
There's nothing provocative about that in terms of popular gaming, RE4 did it, and sold incredibly well. Although that's certainly not to say it wouldn't be good, but it wouldn't be any progressive or anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I am still very afraid of this game suffering the same faults that Uncharted has. I've only played UC2, but in my opinion that game is not a fun game. Its a pretty game, it has unbelievable setpieces, it has engaging characters, it has all that stuff. I don't doubt Naughty Dog's ability to pull off this setting. But as far as the actual act of controlling the character around and playing the game. ND has yet to prove themselves.

If this game is similar in that regard to the UC series then I am going to be very displeased. Already there are comparisons to RE4.. why is this? RE4 has some of the most challenging and intense combat mechanics of any game. It requires nuance, skill, and creativity on the players part to get through some of those combat arenas. That game is a fucking game.

I just don't see that from this. As intriguing and unique as the setting and characters appear to be in The Last of Us, I just have no interest in playing another modern "on rails" cinematic experience. That type of experience is just uninteresting.

StuBurns

Banned
You're referring to my post? I mentioned RE4 because it's a game with a male protagonist, traveling with a girl you play as for a while, as the post I quoted suggested for this. Nothing about that comparison relates to game design or quality.

Although I would put UC2 up there with RE4 without question.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, not your post. Someone earlier declared this game as the "RE4 of the generation."

I played UC2 for 9 hours straight with a hangover 2 days after a very serious and longterm relationship unexpectedly ended. So I hate that game.

Loudninja

Oh man 2 weeks until we see new gameplay.

Also the only 2 ways this game is the same as is UC is picking up ammo or melee weapons and the aiming reticule.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 2 had fantastic gameplay.

Thats not the way I remember it. I remember getting killed 20 times in a row on a train because it saved with a guy behind me and I had no health. I remember getting angry to the point of tears climbing around that giant clock/geared thing in the mountains and not know where the hell to go. I remember being punished for exploring this ice cave, I remember have no idea how the cover worked and not being able to coolly anticipate when my guy would and wouldn't stick to things and pop out. I remember the bad guys being really really dumb too. I don't know. I had a very poor experience with UC2. I had been waiting forever to play it because I don't have a Playstation so when the time came that I borrowed a Playstation and the game from a friend I was super pumped for it. But it just wasn't fun.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There's nothing provocative about that in terms of popular gaming, RE4 did it, and sold incredibly well. Although that's certainly not to say it wouldn't be good, but it wouldn't be any progressive or anything.

RE4 did it for 10 minutes. I think the suggestion here is that were the entire game to be built around playing as the less-able female character it would be pretty novel. There aren't many games where the AI sidekick is more powerful than the player, and probably none that have this realistic aesthetic.

I don't think I'd prefer that approach. I'm just saying RE4 isn't the best example.

Thats not the way I remember it. I remember getting killed 20 times in a row on a train because it saved with a guy behind me and I had no health. I remember getting angry to the point of tears climbing around that giant clock/geared thing in the mountains and not know where the hell to go. I remember being punished for exploring this ice cave, I remember have no idea how the cover worked and not being able to coolly anticipate when my guy would and wouldn't stick to things and pop out. I remember the bad guys being really really dumb too. I don't know. I had a very poor experience with UC2. I had been waiting forever to play it because I don't have a Playstation so when the time came that I borrowed a Playstation and the game from a friend I was super pumped for it. But it just wasn't fun.

The bolded statement isn't possible. There is no "health" in Uncharted games.

The rest are all problems that seem to have more to do with you than the game. I say this not to insult your ability, but because these aren't common complaints.

At least you acknowledge that you played it under some unfortunate and negative circumstances and that has something to do with your impressions.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The guy on the train with the dagger is unthinkably terrible design.

Is that what he's talking about? Is it possible for the game to checkpoint you during that fight such that he instakills you when it loads?

It's far from my favorite part of the game, but I don't remember it being maddeningly difficult.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The bolded statement isn't possible. There is no "health" in Uncharted games.

Well effectively thats what happened. Maybe I didn't have ammo or something I can't really remember. But I got into this HUGELY FAT load and die loop for what felt like 45 minutes. I'll never forget that stupid train sequence. Worse than that level in Shadows of the Empire, which I actually like now that I think about it. The robot fight at the end was awesome.

The train level was the best part of Uncharted 2, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know if it was the best part of the game, but I too have no idea what "restart-die" loop he's talking about. 95% of Uncharted 2 was a really fun game.

That third game, though? Yeah, I could agree with "unfun" in relation to that game.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Oh no, not your post. Someone earlier declared this game as the "RE4 of the generation."

I played UC2 for 9 hours straight with a hangover 2 days after a very serious and longterm relationship unexpectedly ended. So I hate that game.

Lmfao same here bra

just looking at the cover gives me bad memories...............sigh

edit: why cant I make topics?? I have been here for 7 years!

Well effectively thats what happened. Maybe I didn't have ammo or something I can't really remember. But I got into this HUGELY FAT load and die loop for what felt like 45 minutes. I'll never forget that stupid train sequence. Worse than that level in Shadows of the Empire, which I actually like now that I think about it. The robot fight at the end was awesome.

Nice try. Please exit the thread bro....Your done.

Honestly man, just sounds like YOU were horrible at the game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nice try. Please exit the thread bro....Your done.

Nice try at what? Trolling? Please. I had a very negative experience with the game. I went of my way to provide context, just take my anecdote for what it is. Someone played UC2 and had a bad time. People have a bad time having sex sometimes too.

Honestly man, just sounds like YOU were horrible at the game.
I wouldn't doubt my skill level had something to do with it. Never played the series before AND it was a console I'm not used to playing. I did have a PS2 so I knew the controller but I was definitely not used to the analogue sticks or shoulder buttons.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I am still very afraid of this game suffering the same faults that Uncharted has. I've only played UC2, but in my opinion that game is not a fun game. Its a pretty game, it has unbelievable setpieces, it has engaging characters, it has all that stuff. I don't doubt Naughty Dog's ability to pull off this setting. But as far as the actual act of controlling the character around and playing the game. ND has yet to prove themselves.

To you maybe. I doubt most people think the same about Uncharted. I love everything about UC2, controls inculded, actually I prefer it to a lot of TPS'es out there like Resident Evil or Mass Effect. I can understand people complaining about controlling the character in those games, even though I love both Me and RE but they can be clunky as hell. But I can't imagine WHY anyone would complain about controls in an Uncharted game. I can understand the complaints about too much shooting or enemies being bullet sponges sometimes but controlling the characters is anything but clunky! At least it was amazing in 2.

Nice try at what? Trolling? Please. I had a very negative experience with the game. I went of my way to provide context, just take my anecdote for what it is. Someone played UC2 and had a bad time. People have a bad time having sex sometimes too.

I wouldn't doubt my skill level had something to do with it. Never played the series before AND it was a console I'm not used to playing. I did have a PS2 so I knew the controller but I was definitely not used to the analogue sticks or shoulder buttons.

Just sounds odd. You don't have a ps3 and then go out of your way to explain why you don't like UC2 at all. What possible reason would you have for being in the thread then?

Anyone complaining about the controls and character movement in an Uncharted game needs to watch a MP match or something. It's amazing what you can do, and how fast you can do it in the game. No other game lets you have that kinda of movement and it all works perfectly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just sounds odd. You don't have a ps3 and then go out of your way to explain why you don't like UC2 at all. What possible reason would you have for being in the thread then?

Because TLOU looks bad as hell. Why else would I be in this thread? I'm sittin over here with youtube popped open my iPad thinking "shit this game is gonna be the coolest game ever" and then the next thing that pops into my mind is "well i did play Uncharted and that most certainly was not the coolest game ever." Oh or maybe I'm just spending my Sunday afternoon trying to poison the well of the collective-conciousness's opinion of an upcoming entertainment product. Because, you know, how else am I going to spend my time?

Because TLOU looks bad as hell. Why else would I be in this thread? I'm sittin over here with youtube popped open my iPad thinking "shit this game is gonna be the coolest game ever" and then the next thing that pops into my mind is "well i did play Uncharted and that most certainly was not the coolest game ever." Oh or maybe I'm just spending my Sunday afternoon trying to poison the well of the collective-conciousness's opinion of an upcoming entertainment product. Because, you know, how else am I going to spend my time?

Like I said just odd. I don't think your trolling though.

Endo Punk

Ok thanks. :)
It's also talked about in UC3 disc 'making of' vids, you can probably find it online it's about cinematics and the devs further explain why it's the way they choose to do facial animation. And honestly after seeing how amazing the characters faces look in the UC series I have to completely agree.

Any reason why this way is the best?

the best way is probably to actually use both, a mix of facial mocap and use those data as reference to get all the subtle detail while also hand animated it to make it looks right. I think Avatar, Golumn do it like that.

the way ND do it now, in the hand of lesser animator can end up really bad. but ND does have some really good animator working there.

Piggus

I like how ND does their texture work as well. Hand drawn textures instead of just a picture slapped onto some geometry.

And Loudninja, I remember you from PS3Forums back before the PS3 even came out. >_<

Loudninja

It's also talked about in UC3 disc 'making of' vids, you can probably find it online it's about cinematics and the devs further explain why it's the way they choose to do facial animation. And honestly after seeing how amazing the characters faces look in the UC series I have to completely agree.
Thanks I give it a look.

the best way is probably to actually use both, a mix of facial mocap and use those data as reference to get all the subtle detail while also hand animated it to make it looks right. I think Avatar, Golumn do it like that.

the way ND do it now, in the hand of lesser animator can end up really bad. but ND does have some really good animator working there.
Whatever ND does it works really well.

I like how ND does their texture work as well. Hand drawn textures instead of just a picture slapped onto some geometry.

And Loudninja, I remember you from PS3Forums back before the PS3 even came out. >_<
Yep thats me. :)

jett

D-Member
ND's hand-crafted facial animation is really the best in the business. Thing with motion capture is that it's actually fairly rudimentary so you end up doing/touching up mostly everything by hand anyway if you want to make it look right, using reference footage...just like ND does.

Most games don't use either anyway, electing to use 3rd party engines that render facial animation automatically from sound files, which looks awful.

If this game is similar in that regard to the UC series then I am going to be very displeased. Already there are comparisons to RE4.. why is this? RE4 has some of the most challenging and intense combat mechanics of any game. It requires nuance, skill, and creativity on the players part to get through some of those combat arenas. That game is a fucking game.

I just don't see that from this. As intriguing and unique as the setting and characters appear to be in The Last of Us, I just have no interest in playing another modern "on rails" cinematic experience. That type of experience is just uninteresting.

So you couldn't find your way around in an on rails cinematic experience, to the point you were in tears? I think it's time you put the pointy hat with the big D on and stand in the corner.

Hang on, there are people that don't like Uncharted 2?

I'm all for different folks/different strokes but wow.

On topic: being able to see gameplay for TLU is pretty much my no.1 reason for watching e3 this year.

Duffyside

Banned
What do you guys think are the chances this game has some sort of multiplayer component? I think it's 50/50. I bet ND wants to just establish the world with only a campaign, but I bet Sony sees the value in multiplayer (DLC, extended ownership, etc). I'm going to play my bet on some sort of co-op horde-like thing.

What do you guys think are the chances this game has some sort of multiplayer component? I think it's 50/50. I bet ND wants to just establish the world with only a campaign, but I bet Sony sees the value in multiplayer (DLC, extended ownership, etc). I'm going to play my bet on some sort of co-op horde-like thing.

I hope it's a smaller version of DayZ. Survival co-op where you gotta eat, lots of melee, protecting turf from crazy bandits, minimal shooting, co-op teamwork to fortify areas, day/night cycle, moving to different zones after a few "days" in one area, etc. etc.

Loudninja

A onlien component is already confirmed.
+ Eric Monacelli on May 16th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

We have not announced any plans about online multiplayer but there will be some kind of multiplayer aspect to the game.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...scene-the-sky-has-turned-grey/#comment-716256
With all of these human factions scavenging through the cities, it's not that hard to imagine what online multiplayer could look like in The Last of Us. Though Naughty Dog isn't prepared to discuss specifics, game director Bruce Straley at least admits it exists. "We're going to have some sort of online component," he says. "we're working on a bunch of ideas, but we haven't nailed anything down. We definitely know it's going to be awesome."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461993

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sorry to be so late on this, but what exactly are you talking about? Are you referring to the fact that you get to play as Ashley in one section of the game...? I remember it being quite brief; maybe I'm misunderstanding you though.

In RE4 you play as Leon. Are there any examples of a game which actually do what I suggested? That is, you play as part of a duo, but not the stronger one that is tasked with protecting an NPC. The one that needs more help to survive and has to work harder to stay alive, though you won't have to save your companion nearly as often.

I just think it's unexplored territory, and I think it has something to do with not wanting to make the player character a 14-year-old girl. But I think it could make for a unique experience.

Top Bottom