• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(VIDEO) Dragon Ball Z: The Best Arc in Shonen History

LotusHD

Banned
Cancer.

The worst HXH arc.

image.php

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Chimera abt are is great but these just a few naggling things that arereally annoying. Stuff like everything to do with Aluka is absolutely horrendous writing, she completely breaks the rule set of the world, is a literally walking talking deus ex machina
and adds almost nothing meaningful to the plot. The execution is just shockingly bad. I'm also not too find if final firm power ups but the depends on gon get's his powers back.

Alluka is apparently something to do with the Dark Continent, which you apparently missed, so we'll likely learn more about her when we get there. Also, that's part of the election arc.

LotusHD

Banned
It was weird as fuck, as funny as it.

I would not entirely remove what happens, since its important for what follows next, but I'd definitely change how they executed it.

Okay, as long as we acknowledge this, cuz I was like, "Uhh, that's pretty important lol"

That said, it wasn't so weird that I'd arbitrarily change it imo

Fandangox

Okay, as long as we acknowledge this, cuz I was like, "Uhh, that's pretty important lol"

That said, it wasn't so weird that I'd arbitrarily change it imo

I don't know it just reminds me of a similar thing in Redline. Where something happens that its important to the plot, but the way they do it its absolutely fucking weird.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Alluka is apparently something to do with the Dark Continent, which you apparently missed, so we'll likely learn more about her when we get there. Also, that's part of the election arc.
Nah I read the build up to that, were you ah seriously attempting handwacr her existence as a blantany plothole with that? That's the biggest nothingburger of an explanation I've reas.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nah I read the build up to that were you ah seriously attempting handwacr her existence as a blantany plothole with that?

Dude, if she's something to do with the Dark Continent, which we know is insane and breaks all the rules we knew of up to that point, how is that a plothole? I'm not sure you quite get it. If Togashi never picks this up again, then it's a plothole. Until then it's just a plot thread that's only been teased.

The fact is there could be more like Naniko out there in the Dark Continent, waiting to fuck people's shit up. It's not like we aren't going there right now.

caliph95

Dude, if she's something to do with the Dark Continent, which we know is insane and breaks all the rules we knew of up to that point, how is that a plothole? I'm not sure you quite get it. If Togashi never picks this up again, then it's a plothole. Until then it's just a plot thread that's only been teased.
I wouldn't call it a plot hole still but and at most an Ass pull and a deus ex

Fandangox

The worst part about Alluka is that she is basically Hunter x Hunter's
Dragon Balls, but they almost pulled it off by trying to follow the rules stablished by Nen (her powers have conditions and they MUST be followed) and using her powers could create a massive chain reaction of death and destruction until... not really cause Killua reveals that as long as her powers do "good" stuff like healing or shit there's no repercussions.

So close Togashi, so cloooose.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The worst part about Alluka is that she is basically Hunter x Hunter's
Dragon Balls, but they almost pulled it off by trying to follow the rules stablished by Nen (her powers have conditions and they MUST be followed) and using her powers could create a massive chain reaction of death and destruction until... not really cause Killua reveals that as long as her powers do "good" stuff like healing or shit there's no repercussions.

So close Togashi, so cloooose.

Everything we've seen from the Dark Continent so far has thrown the series on it's head, all that shit is literally broken as fuck, both the good and the bad, so I'm willing to see how it all plays out before throwing him under the bus for doing what you're saying.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The fact is there could be more like Naniko out there in the Dark Continent, waiting to fuck people's shit up. It's not like we aren't going there right now.
Her ability is absurdly powerful wishes with absolutely no drawbacks. Seriously none. Even as is, there's all sorts of shit she could have done within the story written around explicitly so that she and killua don't do. That's a bleach level bull shit ability and god knows how many years if ever it' take for there to be any meaning of reason for their to be a walking talking deus ex machines to exist within the story.

Fandangox

Everything we've seen from the Dark Continent so far has thrown the series on it's head, all that shit is literally broken as fuck, both the good and the bad, so I'm willing to see how it all plays out before throwing him under the bus for doing what you're saying.

Gon was healed without the negative consequences expected from Alluka's powers. The damage is done (heh) Its still not entirely bad because
Gon can't still use Nen
. The explanations that he will come up with for Alluka and her origins will most likely be good (this is Togashi after all) but it won't really change the fact that Alluka is really just a walking deus ex.

The only thing that could undone it would be that
using her powers even for healing does still actually have horrible consequences, and we just don't know them yet, but considering what just happened and the current build up being for the REST of the weird shit going on I am not even sure if that would be any better. I'd rather they just not use her powers and try to her sparingly.

Alluka's ability is broken. However, (HxH Election Arc and Dark Continent spoilers)
she's off spending time with her brother. She's so far removed from the narrative that ti's like having a useful grenade, but it is on the other side of the world. I can forgive that. If Togashi brings her back in, I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt because he's pretty much on point.

Mortemis

Banned
Piccolo and then the Sayain arc is peak Dragon Ball to me. Honestly from the 22nd world martial arts tournament all the way through the Frieza saga is probably my favorite stretch of any shounen, it's just so fun. It's also peak Toriyama art imo.

Nothing really tops the Dark Tournament and Enies Lobby for best shounen arc for me though. Chimera ant and kyoto arc are up there though.

The only thing that remotely comes close to Dragon Ball / Z / Super in HxH is Gon's transformation. Him snapping in that moment is by far the greatest scene of that show.

Kaji AF16

Man where is the love for the Kenshin Kyoto arc...

Kyoto / Shishio arc from Rurouni Kenshin, the Twelve Houses from Saint Seiya, the entire Slam Dunk run, Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho and the Piccolo / Saiyan / Freeza combo from Dragon Ball still stand above everything else IMHO.

I am surprised at the quantity of people choosing One Piece or even Hunter X Hunter over any one those legends; I suppose this is related to a generational change in the mainstream manga / anime consumers´ demographics.

Alluka's ability is broken. However, (HxH Election Arc and Dark Continent spoilers)
she's off spending time with her brother. She's so far removed from the narrative that ti's like having a useful grenade, but it is on the other side of the world. I can forgive that. If Togashi brings her back in, I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt because he's pretty much on point.

I guess every shonen needs it's own Seijûrô Hiko

Kyoto / Shishio arc from Rurouni Kenshin, the Twelve Houses from Saint Seiya, the entire Slam Dunk run, Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho and the Piccolo / Saiyan / Freeza combo from Dragon Ball still stand above everything else IMHO.

I am surprised at the quantity of people choosing One Piece or even Hunter X Hunter over any one those legends; I suppose this is related to a generational change in the mainstream manga / anime consumers´ demographics.

A generational change? You realize Rurouni Kenshin only started ~3-4 years before One Piece and HxH. They're all old as fuck

Lulubop

Or they have arcs that are just better, which they do. Nothing generational about it.

Also SODOM arc from Flame of Recca deserves a mention.

A generational change? You realize Rurouni Kenshin only started ~3-4 years before One Piece and HxH. They're all old as fuck
Shit, Naruto was heavily influenced by HxH.

Or Excalibur.

Ray Down

Banned

And Oda worked under Watsuki as an assistant at first.

Oda won an award for best new manga (I think one of his one-shots) and was awarded by Togashi for it.

"I still remember that Yoshihiro Togashi-sensei gave me a monthly manga award 24 years ago. And Toagshi-sensei kindly remembers it as well."

AAK

I hate myself for watching HxH Chimera Ant arc. Pacing was way too damned slow. And then there was that episode where Pouf and Youpi start having orgasms to bring Mereum back to life. At that point my reaction was basically......

giphy.gif

FMA: Brotherhood Rebellion, Deathnote Light vs L are all far superior IMO. Water 7 arc was amazing in the manga, did not like the anime version.

Archipelago is up there with all of them for me. First half of Death Note as well. AoT has some potential as well with the crazy shit that (regularly) happens in it, and I think a part of it will make it once it's animated in the future. Plenty of new series that have some amazing quality breh, no reason to live only in the past. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

zulux21

This is why people who abide by the falconer music are evil.
nah.... the english opening is way more exciting than the japanese one :p
Cancer.

The worst HXH arc.

I am going to just have to sigh at you and remind you that the hunter exam arc starts off hunter x hunter and is by far the worst arc in the series.

not only is it not a good arc stand alone, but it makes little sense with the rest of the series either. How so many people got through such a deadly test to become hunters later (talking about any no name hunter that shows up later in the series), or why such a society would be alright with killing so many people for a test like that makes no real sense with how the rest of the series goes *shrugs* especially given how protected they make said hunters after the initial death test.

Given the wide range of hunters they allow requiring such endurance tests just doesn't make sense at all.

Compbros

I'm 29, Slam Dunk is my favorite sports series in history, Dark Tournament is the greatest tournament arc in history. One Piece still has arcs that can match up to any other shounen: Arlong, Alabasta, Water 7/Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark, Sabaody, Zou, Whole Cake. All stand out arcs. To say it's some generational gap is way off and dismissive, One Piece is simply a top 3 fictional book/series to me.

Top Bottom