• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Dunno if there's a general consensus on it.

There's definitely a lot of people who seem to enjoy Super. Personally though I think it's pretty bad. Not a fan of the artstyle or how inconsistent the show is with powerlevels/powerups.

I'm sorry but wanting to murder all mortals because some of us are violent is some really shitty "depth".

And Broly wanted to kill Goku and went berserk because Goku cried too much.

Er Hello ? Frieza ?

And how is Trunks "getting a new form" a valid excuse ? He got it with 0 explantation, nobody commented on it, we don't know what or how. The trigger was also nonsensical considering seeing his mother being crushed to pieces wasn't enough of a trigger.

But I guess we can disagree on that front. Where we can't disagree though, is when Trunks stood up to Black before getting his new form, and was affected by Black's attacks the same way as Goku SSB.

So don't tell me 17 is the only inconsistent one when he, at least, had 13 years.

Frieza is a powerful mutant who never trained, so the story gave a reason for his power up.

Characters getting a new form to overcome an enemy has been done several times in Dragon Ball. I don't see how "nobody commented on it" have to do with Trunks got a new form and got stronger. Also, his trigger was being pushed too far in that he tried to save his world and was told by the person he hates the most that it is all his fault because tried to help people. Not rocket science here why that would trigger a person even more that someone dying in front of him, which Trunks should be used to by now.

17 is inconsistent. Trunks got a new form that jacked his power and Frieza is a mutant prodigy. 17 is just some punk from Earth who got enhance by some mad man and got a power-up to godhood for someone reason. But it's obvious since you're bias towards 17 you really can't see why 17 is the odd man between Frieza and Trunks.

Grand Priest pretty much said they were the favourite to win pretty much confirming that they are likely the best team

I do believe he slipped in there that the partner universe to 11 is one to watch also, Universe 2, and I think that's the universe which has that sailor moon type idol character. She seems like she'll be insanely powerful as well.

ybsIawb.png

JQB7k.gif

He also had this to say.
"The relationship between Cabe and Vegeta was quite troubled, and we repeatedly revised it. But, I like it very much. There is also an episode that further deepens the relationship after this, please look forward to it. "
Glad they are going to build on that.

Someone ask him about Piccolo lol.

Slaythe

Frieza is a powerful mutant who never trained, so the story gave a reason for his power up.

Frieza, a powerful mutant ? He was weaker than a punk from earth.

Characters getting a new form to overcome an enemy has been done several times in Dragon Ball. I don't see how "nobody commented on it" have to do with Trunks got a new form and got stronger.

First of all, way to conveniently gloss over the fact that Trunks got a ton stronger before his transformation anyway, randomly.

But let's focus on the transformation then. You don't see how "nobody commented on it" is a problem ? Name me one time where people haven't commented on an impressive transformation ?
You would think, when Trunks goes from shit to god tier in 3 seconds, somebody would question it ?
Worst of all, it's a form that was never ever mentioned, teased prior, or rationalized after. That's also unusual for the series.

It also doesn't explain why Trunks' new form was inconsistent, as it went from weaker than Black to holding his own against merged Zamasu.

If it keeps fluctuating to fit whatever the plot wants, it is inconsistent.

Also, his trigger was being pushed too far in that he tried to save his world and was told by the person he hates the most that it is all his fault because tried to help people. Not rocket science here why that would trigger a person even more that someone dying in front of him, which Trunks should be used to by now.

You're right I'm sorry.

Trunks was used to seeing his mother's skull being crushed every day by now.

17 is inconsistent. Trunks got a new form that jacked his power and Frieza is a mutant prodigy. 17 is just some punk from Earth who got enhance by some mad man and got a power-up to godhood for someone reason. But it's obvious since you're bias towards 17 you really can't see why 17 is the odd man between Frieza and Trunks.

That's hilarious. You're the one that's biased because you don't like the Cell saga and how powerful the androids were.

There's a reason everything I predicted for 17 months ago came true. It wasn't bias, it was putting 2 and 2 together based off what was said in interviews and what we knew from the manga.

Gero made a new organic life (as Super calls them, "super human") that was stronger than Frieza and can get stronger through training. With an unlimited supply of energy, their potential is great. That's what I thought, that's what was said, that's what was shown.

This isn't inconsistent. That's literally what the author said, that's not something the Super writers decided to randomly do.

--------------

On an unrelated note, I swear that's not my twitter account.

1QJu6xJlc.png

Eylos

Banned
I think people should stop try to find logic and consistency in dragonball. Just enjoy the show and turn off the brain.

AdanVC

I just catch up on the latest episode: HOLY SHIT! T'was hype!! That alien looking dude from Universe 11 is now my fave character of DBS, hope he doesn't dissapoint!

HeroR

Frieza, a powerful mutant ? He was weaker than a punk from earth.

First of all, way to conveniently gloss over the fact that Trunks got a ton stronger before his transformation anyway, randomly.

But let's focus on the transformation then. You don't see how "nobody commented on it" is a problem ? Name me one time where people haven't commented on an impressive transformation ?
You would think, when Trunks goes from shit to god tier in 3 seconds, somebody would question it ?
Worst of all, it's a form that was never ever mentioned, teased prior, or rationalized after. That's also unusual for the series.

It also doesn't explain why Trunks' new form was inconsistent, as it went from weaker than Black to holding his own against merged Zamasu.

If it keeps fluctuating to fit whatever the plot wants, it is inconsistent.

You're right I'm sorry.

Trunks was used to seeing his mother's skull being crushed every day by now.

That's hilarious. You're the one that's biased because you don't like the Cell saga and how powerful the androids were.

There's a reason everything I predicted for 17 months ago came true. It wasn't bias, it was putting 2 and 2 together based off what was said in interviews and what we knew from the manga.

Gero made a new organic life (as Super calls them, "super human") that was stronger than Frieza and can get stronger through training. With an unlimited supply of energy, their potential is great. That's what I thought, that's what was said, that's what was shown.

This isn't inconsistent. That's literally what the author said, that's not something the Super writers decided to randomly do.

--------------

On an unrelated note, I swear that's not my twitter account.

1QJu6xJlc.png

Which was BS for reasons we argued about and Frieza was naturally that strong while 17 is an enhance cheat.

Again, no more random that every other form of Super Saiyan in the show especially Super Saiyan 3, so not sure why Rage gets all this heat. And knowing Goku and Vegeta, they probably just think this is par the course at this point, which it is. He also only stood up to Merged Zamsau after Vegito weakened him, seriously you should know better.

Trunks' power only fluctuated in Episode 57.

He saw his mentor beating to death and left to rot in the street and he saw a number of deaths by Black. Bulma's death wasn't even that violent and "seeing his mother's skull being crushed" wasn't what happened. She got blown up, but I am sure you're trying to be cute.

I don't care for the Cell Saga and I have said several times that there are points I liked. The androids being so much stronger than the former strongest in the universe when it took a legend to take him down and the highest power Gero saw was Great Ape Vegeta isn't good storytelling no matter who you wiggled. But since you love 17, you don't see the problem here and hand wave this as 'Earth is awesome'.

You're prediction was that 17 would train with Whis to get much stronger, not that he would be able to challenge Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku off the bat.

"Gero made a new organic life (as Super calls them, "super human") that was stronger than Frieza and can get stronger through training. With an unlimited supply of energy, their potential is great. That's what I thought, that's what was said, that's what was shown."

This is all stuff your head canon since it was never said Gero "made a new organic life". He took two teenagers and modified them into cyborgs. That is just what you though, not what was said, or shown.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think people should stop try to find logic and consistency in dragonball. Just enjoy the show and turn off the brain.

I agree with the first part, not with the second (because you can't turn off your brain, and even if you could, why would you?)

If anything, the show is better when it doesn't try to rationalize stuff. It's the classic "Star Wars vs. Star Trek" approach. Star Trek works because it feels more grounded and scientific. Star Wars works because it's more mystical and things are just how they are. Dragon Ball is like Star Wars in this respect. The Star Trek equivalent would be... Hunter x Hunter, I guess? What with all the fighter specializations and the steps towards unleashing your true power.

Androids from Earth are more powerful than an evil alien galactic emperor? Sure, I'll buy it (mostly). Just tell me the scientist who made them is a genius and he gathered data from the strongest warriors in the world and I'm in. But don't try to explain the whole process of building them to me. You'll just embarrass yourself.

Also, don't take me for a fool and retcon things that were obviously, unequivocally established. Like, oh, I don't know... How potara fusion is permanent? See, I can buy the fusion wearing out because of how Vegitto is in a weird environment like Buu's body. Just leave it at that and I'm fine. But as soon as you try and tell me "well, actually, it's only permanent on gods, and mortals can't sustain it because it drains too much power" is bullshit because that very same Vegitto never had any trouble sustaining it before.

You have to choose one or the other. They're both valid storytelling philosophies, but it's hard to mix them together successfully. And I find Dragon Ball Super blatantly crosses the line more often than I'd like.

ElFly

remember that time gohan saw a random robot get killed and then went SSJ2

good times

Also, don't take me for a fool and retcon things that were obviously, unequivocally established. Like, oh, I don't know... How potara fusion is permanent? See, I can buy the fusion wearing out because of how Vegitto is in a weird environment like Buu's body. Just leave it at that and I'm fine. But as soon as you try and tell me "well, actually, it's only permanent on gods, and mortals can't sustain it because it drains too much power" is bullshit because that very same Vegitto never had any trouble sustaining it before.

that never made any sense, what with Gotenks surviving fused for a long time inside Super Buu

the power drain makes way more sense and is also in line with Goku using up his time on earth by doing SSJ3

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
remember that time gohan saw a random robot get killed and then went SSJ2

good times

That's unfair. That scene made sense because Gohan needed someone to state the obvious in a heartfelt speech. The fact that it was a robot of all "people" is what sealed the deal and made the speech so impactful. To me, it works better than even Goku's first transformation into an SSJ. Death and resurrection were so common by the time Krillin died on Namek that I don't really see why that's what made Goku snap. I don't mind it of course since the whole scene is well directed and the whole "legendary super saiyan" thing built it up well enough, but still.

that never made any sense, what with Gotenks surviving fused for a long time inside Super Buu

Eh. That was a different type of fusion, and you could argue that Gotenks was preserved because he was in a cocoon. But sure enough, it's debatable.

the power drain makes way more sense and is also in line with Goku using up his time on earth by doing SSJ3

I'd be fine with it, honestly... if we hadn't explecitly been told and shown that it's permanent (or, at least, that it lasts for way longer than it did in DBS). Heck, the character who showed that was that very same Vegitto. Besides, what's all this stuff about God ki? I thought Super Saiyan Blue was kinda like being a god and mastering your ki? So shouldn't it at least last longer?

I love how you guys can argue about obvious retcons like Toriyama gave a fuck when he originally wrote this shit, I echo what the guy said above don't think too deeply about how things work and you'll be a lot happier HxH this aint.

NandoGip

So after reviewing all the media released, it's clear that Trunks "Super Saiyan Ikari/Rage" is not an official form.

The name SSJ Ikari/Rage has been used officially only once: On a Dragon Ball Heroes website around the time the episode in the anime aired. Since then, every single reference has just referred to it as Super Saiyan Trunks, sometimes as Super Saiyan 2 Trunks. This includes every single game, every official website, summary, etc.

Along with the manga having no such scene and the anime never even acknowledging it, we can pretty much come to the conclusion that Trunks did not actually get a new form of Super Saiyan.

So I hadn't watched any Super, but with the announcement of the Dragon Ball FighterZ game(which I am very excited about) I got curious about what Dragon Ball is like these days. So I just watched the most recent episode on Crunchyroll.

What I got out of it was: this whole universe tournament thing is a big distraction/fakeout and some big villain is gunna show up on earth and it's gunna be all up to Yamcha, with help from Oolong and Puar, to save the day while everyone else is busy, right?

sakyot

So I hadn't watched any Super, but with the announcement of the Dragon Ball FighterZ game(which I am very excited about) I got curious about what Dragon Ball is like these days. So I just watched the most recent episode on Crunchyroll.

What I got out of it was: this whole universe tournament thing is a big distraction/fakeout and some big villain is gunna show up on earth and it's gunna be all up to Yamcha, with help from Oolong and Puar, to save the day while everyone else is busy, right?

The tournament is a plot so goten and trunks can grow up (To end of Z) offscreen.

Fj0823

So after reviewing all the media released, it's clear that Trunks "Super Saiyan Ikari/Rage" is not an official form.

The name SSJ Ikari/Rage has been used officially only once: On a Dragon Ball Heroes website around the time the episode in the anime aired. Since then, every single reference has just referred to it as Super Saiyan Trunks, sometimes as Super Saiyan 2 Trunks. This includes every single game, every official website, summary, etc.

Along with the manga having no such scene and the anime never even acknowledging it, we can pretty much come to the conclusion that Trunks did not actually get a new form of Super Saiyan.

Except we see him go from SSJ1 to the new form

Also using the "SSG is totally a thing!!" manga as a reference?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I love how you guys can argue about obvious retcons like Toriyama gave a fuck when he originally wrote this shit, I echo what the guy said above don't think too deeply about how things work and you'll be a lot happier HxH this aint.

My gripe with the show is precisely that it tries to explain shit to me like it's HxH. And retconning is one of the many ways you can fail in that regard, because retconning is, by essence, an exercise in rationalization. If you're gonna have a lame excuse for something, you might as well not attempt to explain anything away. At least I can make up my own explanation for it in my imagination, and whatever I come up with will be better than a one-size-fits-all, obviously stupid official reason even the creators probably don't buy for a second.

[FAKE EDIT] About Toriyama: he probably doesn't give a fuck because all this time all he's ever wanted was to be left alone, but he couldn't quit because of the pressure and all these people whose livelihoods depended on him. Regardless, whatever Toriyama or any other author/creator thinks when they make stuff, the end product belongs to the audience, so really, I can't see "lol Toriyama doesn't even care" as a valid argument.

Skeeter49

ybsIawb.png

JQB7k.gif

He also had this to say.
"The relationship between Cabe and Vegeta was quite troubled, and we repeatedly revised it. But, I like it very much. There is also an episode that further deepens the relationship after this, please look forward to it. "
Glad they are going to build on that.
Gotta show Hit getting a new form so it looks better when Jiren one shots Hit.

Slaythe

Which was BS for reasons we argued about and Frieza was naturally that strong while 17 is an enhance cheat.

He was still a lot weaker than a punk from earth. So much for your powerful mutant.

Again, no more random that every other form of Super Saiyan in the show especially Super Saiyan 3, so not sure why Rage gets all this heat. And knowing Goku and Vegeta, they probably just think this is par the course at this point, which it is. He also only stood up to Merged Zamsau after Vegito weakened him, seriously you should know better.

Trunks' power only fluctuated in Episode 57.

First of all, did people ignore Super Saiyan 3 ? Did Goku explain Super Saiyan 3 ?

On top of that, SSJ3 had huge drawbacks and Goku paid the price for it once his body was alive again.

It wasn't some random power up that came out of nowhere and was never mentioned or explained at all and it just make Goku 4785 times stronger and everybody just rolled with it.

And it's par for the course ? Really ? Vegeta needed months of training with a God and Goku needed a ritual despite training relentlessy, and they see Trunks equaling them in 3 seconds and "it's K" is what they think ?

And unlike SSJ2 Gohan (not current god tier level Gohan that I have issues with considering the little amount of work he needed to reach it), they had never seen that Trunks had this potential of reaching god levels on his own, spontaneously.

There is no precedent for what Trunks has done.

He saw his mentor beating to death and left to rot in the street and he saw a number of deaths by Black. Bulma's death wasn't even that violent and "seeing his mother's skull being crushed" wasn't what happened. She got blown up, but I am sure you're trying to be cute.

I don't care for the Cell Saga and I have said several times that there are points I liked. The androids being so much stronger than the former strongest in the universe when it took a legend to take him down and the highest power Gero saw was Great Ape Vegeta isn't good storytelling no matter who you wiggled. But since you love 17, you don't see the problem here and hand wave this as 'Earth is awesome'.

He saw Goku and Vegeta use ki and all its applications. Flying, ki beam, amplification of power. Gero studied that and found a way to provide an infinite supply.

People got stronger but they're still using ki the same way. And I don't give a shit about "god ki", as nobody besides Goku and Vegeta have it despite being equaled by everybody they end up meeting.

Bulma and Brief had issues understanding it all, and they're the smartest people on earth.

1RRrouwFd.png

You're prediction was that 17 would train with Whis to get much stronger, not that he would be able to challenge Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku off the bat.

Because I thought everyone would train with Whis. And I thought he was just enjoying life with his family until then, I hadn't thought he was training to be as strong as he could. (It does fit his personality so I'm fine with that)

I explained why 17 could get up there, and I wasn't wrong. I assumed Whis would help him as well as the others, I'm still unsure why they haven't done that to be honest, would have been better than whatever we got, but hey.

This is all stuff your head canon since it was never said Gero "made a new organic life". He took two teenagers and modified them into cyborgs. That is just what you though, not what was said, or shown.

1RQWQw1Yh.png

The tiny parts were the sleep circruit and the bomb. That had nothing to do with their power.

1Sc6VktTN.png

("She's not a robot... She's a human that received a little bit of modifications")

Toriyama
Q4: Do modified-human types like Artificial Humans No. 17 and No. 18 get stronger if they train?
Since they’re human-based, of course they can become even stronger if they train.
In the case of modified-human types like No. 17 and No. 18, since they’re human-based they can become stronger if they train.

Super producer

Akira thought of bringing him back.
17 never had the chance to shine in the original story and anime, because he was taken out too soon. We asked if we could make him stronger, to which he replied by the positive, saying 17 had a great potential that was still unexplored.

Something just occurred to me. Goku feeling Planet Vegeta's gravity, the true place of his birth, is what will lead to his hidden potential and power emerging, leading to whatever the next stage in his evolution ends up being.

I think it's inherently going to end up making him a lot more powerful.

Something just occurred to me. Goku feeling Planet Vegeta's gravity, the true place of his birth, is what will lead to his hidden potential and power emerging, leading to whatever the next stage in his evolution ends up being.

Maybe he'll learn how to ignore the effects of gravity except when he needs it
idk

Trickster

And Broly wanted to kill Goku and went berserk because Goku cried too much.

Exactly, neither has any depth whatsoever as a character. Dragon Ball fans generally seem to not care about that.

Broly is a big unstoppable force of nature so he's popular
Goku Black is pink haired evil goku with a "cool" ki scythe, so he's also popular.

Depth is irrelevant for Dragon Ball characters as long as they punch stuff and make things go boom in flashy fashion

HeroR

My gripe with the show is precisely that it tries to explain shit to me like it's HxH. And retconning is one of the many ways you can fail in that regard, because retconning is, by essence, an exercise in rationalization. If you're gonna have a lame excuse for something, you might as well not attempt to explain anything away. At least I can make up my own explanation for it in my imagination, and whatever I come up with will be better than a one-size-fits-all, obviously stupid official reason even the creators probably don't buy for a second.

[FAKE EDIT] About Toriyama: he probably doesn't give a fuck because all this time all he's ever wanted was to be left alone, but he couldn't quit because of the pressure and all these people whose livelihoods depended on him. Regardless, whatever Toriyama or any other author/creator thinks when they make stuff, the end product belongs to the audience, so really, I can't see "lol Toriyama doesn't even care" as a valid argument.

No one forced Toriyama to continue. He kept writing Dragon Ball until he got tired to if.

Yo but why do people always give Goku shit for not clowning Vegeta and prevention Buu's awakening, but nobody gives Piccolo shit for revealing to Cell where the Androids were?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Seriously doubt it. Planet Vegeta has like the same gravity as King Kai's world. Plus Goku's trained in 100x gravity. I mean he didn't even notice it, it had to be pointed out to him. It'll probably wind up being a way to nerf Hit or Freeza or something.

Yo but why do people always give Goku shit for not clowning Vegeta and prevention Buu's awakening, but nobody gives Piccolo shit for revealing to Cell where the Androids were?

Because Vegeta's got the biggest fuck up in that arc.

Slaythe

King Kai's world is also X10 so that shouldn't do much for him...

Seriously doubt it. Planet Vegeta has like the same gravity as King Kai's world. Plus Goku's trained in 100x gravity. I mean he didn't even notice it, it had to be pointed out to him. It'll probably wind up being a way to nerf Hit or Freeza or something.

Because Vegeta's got the biggest fuck up in that arc.

Ironically that makes Gohan and 17 monsters since they were born on earth. tee hee.

HeroR

Exactly, neither has any depth whatsoever as a character. Dragon Ball fans generally seem to not care about that.

Broly is a big unstoppable force of nature so he's popular
Goku Black is pink haired evil goku with a "cool" ki scythe, so he's also popular.

Depth is irrelevant for Dragon Ball characters as long as they punch stuff and make things go boom in flashy fashion

Black/Zamasu had good reason to have problem with mortal. Black is liked because he has some real motive, his calm even when he was getting his butt kick, and the scythe didn't come in until his last appearance and lasted only a few minutes.

So comparing Broly to Black sand saying they're the same, laughable.

He was still a lot weaker than a punk from earth. So much for your powerful mutant.

First of all, did people ignore Super Saiyan 3 ? Did Goku explain Super Saiyan 3 ?

On top of that, SSJ3 had huge drawbacks and Goku paid the price for it once his body was alive again.

It wasn't some random power up that came out of nowhere and was never mentioned or explained at all and it just make Goku 4785 times stronger and everybody just rolled with it.

And it's par for the course ? Really ? Vegeta needed months of training with a God and Goku needed a ritual despite training relentlessy, and they see Trunks equaling them in 3 seconds and "it's K" is what they think ?

And unlike SSJ2 Gohan (not current god tier level Gohan that I have issues with considering the little amount of work he needed to reach it), they had never seen that Trunks had this potential of reaching god levels on his own, spontaneously.

There is no precedent for what Trunks has done.

He saw Goku and Vegeta use ki and all its applications. Flying, ki beam, amplification of power. Gero studied that and found a way to provide an infinite supply.

People got stronger but they're still using ki the same way. And I don't give a shit about "god ki", as nobody besides Goku and Vegeta have it despite being equaled by everybody they end up meeting.

Bulma and Brief had issues understanding it all, and they're the smartest people on earth.

1RRrouwFd.png

Because I thought everyone would train with Whis. And I thought he was just enjoying life with his family until then, I hadn't thought he was training to be as strong as he could. (It does fit his personality so I'm fine with that)

I explained why 17 could get up there, and I wasn't wrong. I assumed Whis would help him as well as the others, I'm still unsure why they haven't done that to be honest, would have been better than whatever we got, but hey.

1RQWQw1Yh.png

The tiny parts were the sleep circruit and the bomb. That had nothing to do with their power.

1Sc6VktTN.png

("She's not a robot... She's a human that received a little bit of modifications")

Toriyama

Super producer

Since we had this run away before, I will abridged my answer.

- Trunks' Super Saiyan form is no different than other Super Saiyan forms in the series, so having characters comment on it doesn't really make a different. Having a huge drawback doesn't make a different since Goku and Gotenks got Super Saiyan 3 with no explanation. So it was random. Also, Trunks is a tailless hybrid Saiyans with more raw talent then their pure-blood counterparts. So using Vegeta as a benchmark doesn't make sense. So "There is no precedent for what Trunks has done", factually false.

- Using your head canon to explain 17 being so powerful doesn't help the character, especially when Frieza's power-up has an in-universe explanation and Trunks is just treading old ground. And Gero making androids more powerful than Frieza make no sense no matter how many wall of texts you write me about it.

And I end it here because quite frankly, we will never see eye-to-eye on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom