• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Snaku

Banned
Not in the second film though. They need to establish the franchise a little more first. Then do a big multi-monster battle.

Rodan and Mothra's solo films set up fuck all. Hell, Mothra vs Godzilla barely set anything up in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster other than yes Mothra and the Shobijin exist in the Godzilla universe. A new Rodan, because the two featured in the solo film died, just shows up cause lol fuck it.

So Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah, curious to see what they'll look like especially with all that CGI.

Nothing in these movies is from a Tolstoy novel. One of the main reasons people like Godzilla movies is because of the outrageous, dumb backstory for each of the monsters.

True, but studios are gonna keep to push these shared universe into doing team-up films as much as they can. Not every monster deserves a spinoff according to them.

Yeah! Destroy All Monsters remake, can't wait to see Godzilla and King Ghidorah have a savage beatdown at the end of the movie, the scale itself is gonna be off the charts.

Edit: Also we're getting a Godzilla anime film at the end of this year on Netflix as well, that should be cool.

Kinyou

I got your character development right here

lbJeJGd.gif

Sojgat

They'll find a way to make this boring.

I know we can't have that Statham and Rock Fast & Furious spin-off just be about them fighting Godzilla, but I'd watch that movie.

I expect 5 minutes of awesome monster vs monster carnage and 10 minutes of barely discernible monster footage that cuts away before it gets good, all sandwiched between 90 minutes of nigh-unwatchable bullshit with cardboard cutout characters and craptacular dialogue.

I hope Legendary can finally churn out a good monster movie for once. G14 has some nice visuals and it kinda attempts to have a theme, while Kong was nothing more than a popcorn flick. (inb4 a "dude all monster movies are popcorn flicks" excuse) I also hope they don't ruin any of the other monster's designs. Godzilla's design came out alright but the other monsters are far more easier to mess up.

Yeah, Rodan and Mothra got their own movies back in the day, and they were hot garbage.

Far from the truth. Both of their debut movies in the Showa era were financial and critical successes in Japan, and are favorites in the fandom till this day for very valid reasons.

Leave the satire, subtext and nuance to the Japanese.
After the 70's they've rarely put out any of that good stuff though. Shin was an amazing breath of fresh air after the disasters that were the Heisei and Millennium series. I'd say Legendary should attempt it again.

I can't imagine what some people in this thread must have thought when they saw Jaws for the first time. "Why isn't the shark always on screen! I paid for shark carnage, this is a rip-off!"

Seriously, Godzilla 2014 is a master class in pacing for blockbuster cinema. Even if you hate the main character, his journey is a fantastically structured trip through the creatures' devastation. So many awesome sequences.

But yeah, because the two baddies don't face off until the end scene (since having a climax is so passe) - it's practically Waiting for Godot.

i think it'll be mothra and the g-man team up vs rodan with a king ghidorah tease at the end.

I don't think theres a large enough difference between Rodan and the Mutos from the first film to make him the main villain, and he has never been Godzilla's main foe in the past films.

Will be interesting to see how they handle these other pre-existing monsters. G14's design is a favorite and the Muto duo were great new monsters (thankfully given their prominence throughout). "Otherworldly real", if you will.

Gravidee

I want to see Rodan engage and outfly fighter jets, King Ghidorah spitting a lightning storm onto a city (not literally), and Mothra spinning a cocoon in a populated area. Lots of potential for amazing visuals. Hope it lives up to expectations!

As a massive Godzilla fan I'm finding it hilarious that some of y'all think any of these monsters have some lengthy, deep lore that takes anything more than like 20 minutes total to set up.

Mothra has the deepest lore

Sung in this catchy theme song

Seriously, none of these monsters need intro stories lol. Mothra is like the only Godzilla monster with actual lore that matters, and even then it doesn't really matter

I'M IN
People unironically claiming you need setup movies?

C'mon guys.

Beside the fact this movie basically already happened once and all the setup was more or less contained WITHIN that movie, we're not dealing with a particularly complicated/robust mythology that audiences aren't going to be able to digest.

People been asking for big fat professional wrestling monsterfites since 1999. It now appears Mr. Daugherty is going to be providing that exact thing.

I mean - I understand the "conventional widsom" that suggests you need to step people through the complicated origin stories of giant irradiated monsters buried under the earth's surface one movie at a time, but you probably don't really need it at all, and the actual wisdom contained in that "conventional wisdom" isn't necessarily wise by default.

These complaints read less like an assessment of the film's potential quality and more like a disdainful assessment of moviegoers in general.

"Sounds like it's gonna be a clusterfuck" = people both making and watching these movies are too stupid to do it right/understand it well.
Preach it Bobster

I can't imagine what some people in this thread must have thought when they saw Jaws for the first time. "Why isn't the shark always on screen! I paid for shark carnage, this is a rip-off!"

Seriously, Godzilla 2014 is a master class in pacing for blockbuster cinema. Even if you hate the main character, his journey is a fantastically structured trip through the creatures' devastation. So many awesome sequences.

But yeah, because the two baddies don't face off until the end scene (since having a climax is so passe) - it's practically Waiting for Godot.

It definitely pulls from the Spielberg pool of monster flicks, by using the creature sparingly and making the moments where he shows up really count (Jurassic Park also only had 15 minutes of dinosaurs). And I will say I liked Godzilla 2014. I didn't even dislike the human parts.

But it also isn't exactly the same tier as all-time classics from a top-of-his game Spielberg like Jaws or Jurassic Park. :p It's definitely not a "master class" and it certainly dies have its flaws - the execution of the formula could have been better. I think if people liked the parts without Godzilla more, you would have heard a lot less complaints about his final screen-time.

I will also say that Godzilla is kind of different in that people generally expect him to effectively be the main character, so it's arguable that pulling from that school of filmmaking at all is inappropriate.

Jombie

Shin was an amazing breath of fresh air after the disasters that were the Heisei and Millennium series. I'd say Legendary should attempt it again.

I really love some of those films :/

Maybe we'll be able to see the monsters in this - that was biggest gripe with 2014 G.

If Godzilla thrashes Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah in this film, it'll be quite a feat to make Kong seem like a threat in their showdown.

Wouldn't shock me to see Rodan fight with Godzilla(after an initial scuffle) and Mothra as more of a neutral foe fighting against Godzilla and Ghidorah. I can see them making Ghidorah strong as hell and needing the 3 others together to finally take it down in the end.

Why would you need an intro movie for "giant pterodactyl that does stuff" (what even is Rodan's lore? Does anyone care?) and "giant moth worshiped on an island as the savior of nature"

Wouldn't shock me to see Rodan fight with Godzilla(after and initial shuffle) and Mothra as more of a neutral foe fighting against Godzilla and Ghidorah. I can see them making Ghidorah strong as hell and needing the 3 others together to finally take it down in the end.

That's literally the exact plot of the first Ghidorah movie!

There's a huge difference between G14 and Jaws. Jaws has thought out characters with motivations that thrust them into the action. G14 stars someone who is consistently at the wrong place at the wrong time, and the 2 characters who have potential have silly dialogue and one of them gets killed off far too early. Jaws pays off wonderfully, while G14 plays it's game for far too long.

It definitely pulls from the Spielberg pool of monster flicks, but using the creature sparingly, and making the moments where he shows up really count (Jurassic Park also only had 15 minutes of dinosaurs). And I will say I liked Godzilla 2014. I didn't even dislike the human parts.

But it also isn't exactly the same tier as all-time classics Jaws or Jurassic Park. :p It certainly has its flaws, and the execution of the formula could have been better. I think if people liked the parts without Godzilla more, you would have heard a lot less complaints about his final screen-time.
Oh, absolutely. The human characters in both Godzilla and Kong as aggressively uninteresting. The latter at least throws so many of them in the story, it becomes a campy delight. Godzilla focuses hard on it's core familial story, and the fact it doesn't work is going to be a mark against it.

My issue stems from how reductive people get about the film. They say "Godzilla was only in it for x minutes", as if x needs to be greater than an unspecified y in order to be a great movie.

I don't think theres a large enough difference between Rodan and the Mutos from the first film to make him the main villain, and he has never been Godzilla's main foe in the past films.

the thing with rodan is they could update his design to G14 standards to make him a more beefy threat. if it was me i wouldn't want to blow the entire load and go straight to king ghidorah as the main bad guy, a end credits tease with king ghidorah will be much more effective in setting up the inevitable G-man vs ghidorah fight. mothra should also survive,to job in that movie.

Why would you need an intro movie for "giant pterodactyl that does stuff" (what even is Rodan's lore? Does anyone care?) and "giant moth worshiped on an island as the savior of nature"

That's literally the exact plot of the first Ghidorah movie!

I mean.....if it's not broken, don't fix it? Hahaha. Either way, I'll be there watching.

Oersted

This time please don't waste the actors, don't have dogs outrunning waves and don't be a cocktease with Godzilla.

Thanks.

It ain't the true Mothra unless they use her theme song.

I don't think I can express how immensely disappointed I will be if it doesn't appear at all.

It HAS to appear. I don't care how cheesy and out of place it is. It's core to the experience of Mothra.

I don't think there's a single movie Mothra appears in where the song isn't referenced in some way.

After the 70's they've rarely put out any of that good stuff though. Shin was an amazing breath of fresh air after the disasters that were the Heisei and Millennium series. I'd say Legendary should attempt it again.

Heisei can't be a disaster when it contains Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

Millennium can't be a disaster because it contains the best film in the whole series
GMK

Heisei can't be a disaster when it contains Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
Yeah but then the movies become incredibly rushed out and had to bank on nostalgia from the previous era.

Millennium can't be a disaster because it contains the best film in the whole series
GMK
I like GMK but it's far from the best. It's tone changes way too much, and while other movies had comedic moments or other shifts, they never detracted from the message the movie was set out to say.

StoneFox

I don't think I can express how immensely disappointed I will be if it doesn't appear at all.

It HAS to appear. I don't care how cheesy and out of place it is. It's core to the experience of Mothra.

I don't think there's a single movie Mothra appears in where the song isn't referenced in some way.
I was already disappointed that we didn't get Godzilla's theme in proper for the 2014 movie, but not having Mothra's would be a true crime.

I just want a scene of Rodan wrecking shit and the cast going "oh no, how can we stop this?!" And then there is a sudden cut to the fairies singing her song until Mothra reaches them. Would be fantastic.

Gravidee

I could see them using the theme instrumentally in some way, or the people of the world make a song through some radio or TV channel after Mothra's appearances/actions.

There was no outright singing in GMK, but they did use this in its place. A sort of majestic rendition of the Mothra theme with light chorus in the background. I'm hoping something similar will be done for the new movie.

Skip to 0:37 to see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokm8fRxvLU

I could see them using the theme instrumentally in some way, or the people of the world make a song through some radio or TV channel after Mothra's appearances/actions.

There was no outright singing in GMK, but they did use this in its place. A sort of majestic rendition of the Mothra theme with light chorus in the background. I'm hoping something similar will be done for the new movie.

Skip to 0:37 to see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokm8fRxvLU

I don't even care if they just have some kid humming it while they work in a shop or something before she appears as a random cameo.

Top Bottom