• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(VIDEO) Dragon Ball Z: The Best Arc in Shonen History

Kaizer

Banned
But what about:
- Kenshin's Shishio Arc
- HxH's Chimera Ant Arc
- YuYu's DARK TOURNAMENT (My Personal Favorite!)
- One Piece' Water 7/CP9 Arc

Lulubop

I LOVE, LOVE the Chimera Ant arc and HxH in general but the episode where
King is revived
was the most boring, dragged out shit in the whole show. You could tell they were spreading themselves REALLY fucking thin once the siege on the castle started.

It's not so bad in the Manga and there's some cute artwork, I'm think Takeuchi did that chapter

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Right. From Robin's perspective, it makes perfect sense that she would just dip, after all she hasn't really been that comfortable around them, and throughout her life she's never had a good reason to open up to anyone. And on our parts, the viewer, why should we really care either? She was a former villain who up until that arc it's be understandable to be quite wary of her.

And yet, they cared anyways, even without the complete knowledge the readers have concerning her backstory.

This arc was like the epitome of what Fairy Tail has been striving to do with its whole friendship shtick since its inception.

Also, Sogeking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNyP3uzgRhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNwTrSBL_QU

My one nitpick about this video is how he mentions that "the west" consumed DB with DBZ first while causally ignoring how all of Latin America and some parts of Europe had OG DB before we got DBZ. Hell, in Mexico we finished all the way until DBGT years before our northern neighbors!

It was mainly the United States (and maybe Canada) that got DBZ before DB but by this point I shouldn't be this surprised that some Americans can think the US represents all of "the west". #rant

NA would always rewind plenty of times and never have Goku vs Freeza.

But what about:
- Kenshin's Shishio Arc
- HxH's Chimera Ant Arc

- Bleach Soul Society arc

LotusHD

Banned
But what about:
- Kenshin's Shishio Arc
- HxH's Chimera Ant Arc

I finally made time to binge watch Rurouni Kenshin the other day. Shishio Arc was cool, but the other arcs you mention are a lot better imo

Ezalc

Honestly I'm always surprised by the love HxH gets, especially the Chimera Ant arc. I mean, it's a great manga and that's a great arc, but holy shit does it fucking drag. There were many points where I just wanted the thing to be done. I don't know if it's an anime thing since I experienced it there and not the manga, but jesus I had to force myself to finish the damn thing.

HxH is just so odd to me, it's so interesting and it's been around for so long yet basically nothing has fucking happened in it. Leorio is still basically garbage, Gon barely has like three attacks and has not come anywhere near actually mastering his nen. Killua is just there now dealing with his sibling. Kurapika has killed one guy from the spiders. It's amazing how important as a manga it is but how slow it moves, regardless of all of the hiatuses.

Daingurse

I finally made time to binge watch Rurouni Kenshin the other day. Shishio Arc was cool, but the other arcs you mention are a lot better imo

Everything in Rurouni Kenshin worked a lot better in the manga for me. RK is a really great shonen. I honestly need to reread my volumes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Idk about all shonen.. people might say I'm crazy but soul society arc in bleach is really good. However, I really love the Cell saga. Honestly, the weakest arc is the buu saga despite loving kid buu.

Cha la DBZ JP opening the goat.. not that horrible BF music.

Bleach was never good, but Soul Society stuff was decent. Same with the first 50 episodes of Inuyasha.

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly I'm always surprised by the love HxH gets, especially the Chimera Ant arc. I mean, it's a great manga and that's a great arc, but holy shit does it fucking drag. There were many points where I just wanted the thing to be done. I don't know if it's an anime thing since I experienced it there and not the manga, but jesus I had to force myself to finish the damn thing.

HxH is just so odd to me, it's so interesting and it's been around for so long yet basically nothing has fucking happened in it. Leorio is still basically garbage, Gon barely has like three attacks and has not come anywhere near actually mastering his nen. Killua is just there now dealing with his sibling. Kurapika has killed one guy from the spiders. It's amazing how important as a manga it is but how slow it moves, regardless of all of the hiatuses.

The slowness doesn't matter that much to me due to how strong the writing is, as well as how it loves to subvert stuff, like the Chimera Ant arc for example. It's kind of amusing knowing that there is no way in hell Gon and Killua are gonna outclass everyone by the time the manga ends.

I have no clue what the endpoint is, (Now that I think about it, only One Piece really made its goal clear from Day 1, while its contemporaries just end whenever they feel like it) but I'm enjoying the ride all the same I suppose.

Everything in Rurouni Kenshin worked a lot better in the manga for me. RK is a really great shonen. I honestly need to reread my volumes.

Ah, can't say I'm surprised. But it's on Netflix and I prefer to watch stuff if possible, so yea.

NA would always rewind plenty of times and never have Goku vs Freeza.

- Bleach Soul Society arc
Oh we also had plenty of "back to square one" moments as the series was being brought here by chunks and dubbed as they went. They weren't willing to dub 300 episodes without first making sure it was going to work!

All in all DBZ started broadcasting in Mexico around September of 1997 and finished with DBGT around mid-2000. That's counting reruns in between new episodes and what not.

OG DB I can't pinpoint when exactly because I was too young but it must've started around 1995 with reruns getting a lot of attention once DBZ started since many discovered the franchise within Z and then went back to DB1 afterwards.

cordy

Banned
I'd say if you rank the DBZ arcs it goes

- Freeza Arc
- Saiyan Arc
- Cell Arc
- Buu Arc

I'm rewatching the Freeza Arc and man I forgot how detailed it was.

Lynx_7

My one nitpick about this video is how he mentions that "the west" consumed DB with DBZ first while causally ignoring how all of Latin America and some parts of Europe had OG DB before we got DBZ. Hell, in Mexico we finished all the way until DBGT years before our northern neighbors!

It was mainly the United States (and maybe Canada) that got DBZ before DB but by this point I shouldn't be this surprised that some Americans can think the US represents all of "the west". #rant

Here in Brazil we got DB first, but it wasn't all that popular at first. Saint Seiya kinda stole its thunder early on, I guess. It wasn't until they skipped straight to Z that the series really exploded in popularity. Classic DB was later broadcasted in its entirety, but Z was definitely the one that made it possible. From most accounts, it seems like a lot of countries followed this same pattern. Cool to know Mexico actually got everything right from beginning to end, though.

I look back at Bleach so poorly that I almost forgot how hype that arc was. My god the moment Ichigo swags through with his bankai at Rukia's execution is PURE HYPE

Of course, it's still hype to this day. I think bleach should've ended when Ichigo kills Aizen.

LotusHD

Banned
Bleach is like a 80's action van damme movie, great action that's all I need ��

No, if anything it proved that just having cool looking action was absolutely not enough.

Can we all agree that asshole Supreme Kai's is the worst in the Buu arc.

Oh yea, he was weird.

I look back at Bleach so poorly that I almost forgot how hype that arc was. My god the moment Ichigo swags through with his bankai at Rukia's execution is PURE HYPE

Bankai he achieved in 3 days because why not, lol looking back that was so dumb

Of course, it's still hype to this day. I think bleach should've ended when Ichigo kills Aizen.

I still would consider it pretty average, but uh, people would definitely look back on the manga more fondly if it just stopped there. Instead, it just. kept. going. Also it managed to have a worse, more rushed ending than Naruto.

Kaizer

Banned
Tell me you don't see this picture & remember the HYPE tho:
toguro-team.jpg

I still would consider it pretty average, but uh, people would definitely look back on the manga more fondly if it just stopped there. Instead, it just. kept. going. Also it managed to have a worse, more rushed ending than Naruto.

It's better to end on the high note, it would've been the perfect cut-off point. Yet, there's something about the series that I enjoy it's just dumb dbz-esque sword action.

Lynx_7

Real talk, Soul Society was cool at the time and definitely cemented Bleach as a promising manga before Kubo immediately shit the bed, but if we're talking about best shonen arcs it doesn't even beat the Chuunin Exam. Naruto was always the better manga despite it also going to shit after its early peak. Come at me Bleach stans.

Daingurse

No, if anything it proved that just having cool looking action was absolutely not enough.

Bleach made fighting boring in a battle shonen. Pretty much the biggest crime you could commit. I don't know how I lasted through Hueco Mundo week to week . . . I didn't think a series could have too many fights till I read Bleach lol.

Lulubop

IMO, SS is better than anything in Naruto or OP but that's just me. It's still a worse series than both, like much worse which is mind blowing.

Ray Down

Banned
Supreme Kai, isn't weird, he's just the worst in a hillirious way. He ruins everything:

He kept Piccollo from playing in the tournament.
HE froze Gohan in place so he could get suckered, and held back everyone else from helping.
His asinine plan of "Hey, lets give Babidi way more energy than he actually needs because I haven't done my research and didn't realize these fight happy Saiyans can power up Buu to full in about 20 seconds and that freezing Gohan in place provides them like, half the energy they need."
It was HIS idea to say "go ahead and figt Vegerta while he's evil."
Also if you have a problem with Gohan getting removed from the plot with the dumb as fun but funny "training" with Old kai, you can balme him too since hus idea to use a legendary sword that he had no idea the real use of was due to HIM!

Really, he could have told Goku or went to Goku ahead of time or really anyone for that matter and went "yes, there's an a powerful fighter on this planet that I am searching for" and then Goku could have done a Ki scan, located Babidi or Dabura or any of the other guys on the ship, (Since Dabura was at LEAST above Frieza level power, he should have been easy to find)
instantaneously moved there, and 1HKOed the lot of them before they had any idea what was going on and before giving Buu any energy at all, then been back to the tournament in time to fight Vegeta.

If Supreme Kai had any idea what those guys were capable of from the start. Remmebr he had no clue the Saiyans were anywhere near as powerful as they actually were (Super 1 surprised them and Super 2 outright dumbfounded them)

NONE of the Buu arc would have went down the way it did.

Supreme Kai is the worst most useless character ever is hillrious, Yamacha has a drinking buddy.

PixelatedBookake

Oh God I'll never see this fucking story get resolved. I love HxH and I hate to say it, but your completely right.

LotusHD

Banned
Tell me you don't see this picture & remember the HYPE tho:
latest

Yo, the best tournament arc ever. You just couldn't wait for Yusuke and co. to finally kick their asses.

Bleach made fighting boring in a battle shonen. I don't know how I lasted through Hueco Mundo week to week . . .

I watched all 300 episodes. Binged through it all. My friend said is it something I'd recommend, and I couldn't say yes. I didn't even hate Bleach at the time, but I just felt nothing after watching it all. Also Ichigo really needed some new attacks.

You knew it was boring when you start to nitpick the ridiculous powers that they had going on there. In a world where Nen, Devil Fruits, and Stands are things, but I can't help but nitpick the abilities from Bleach.

Currently watching inuyasha it's highly regarded from what i can tell so far I give it a 7.5. Idk how to put it.. it's enjoyable but I get ranma 1/2 vibes from it.

Lynx_7

Bleach made fighting boring in a battle shonen. Pretty much the biggest crime you could commit. I don't know how I lasted through Hueco Mundo week to week . . . I didn't think a series could have too many fights till I read Bleach lol.

I still haven't managed to finish it. I stopped a little after
Ichigo vs Grimmjow's rematch
and just don't have any desire to come back to it. Hueco Mundo is one of the most on-rail arcs I've ever read in a shonen, so many pointless fights against characters I just don't care about. It doesn't help that most fights follow a very similar pattern of each fighter constantly trying to one-up each other's cockyness. It's like Kubo trying to recreate the Soul Society without understanding what made that arc entertaining.

Also, as far as Rurouni Kenshin is concerned, Tsuioku-hen is legit.

Frieza and the whole Super Saiyan build up is definitely up there for the best of DBZ, if not the best. For me Cell saga takes the cake, just because I thought it had some interesting concepts and was a nice ribbon to close out the story of Goku.

Of course, we all know how that went.

Ray Down

Banned
Since people are talking about Togashi, here's some tibits from his Jump Ryo interview:

Togashi dsecided to focus on the occult and battle in Yu Yu Hakusho since both of them were his favorite genres.

Editor told him that Toagshi is good at creating a story. Togashi was glad to hear that, but at the same time, he thought it wasn't enough in order to maintain great popularity for more than 30 chapters. That's why Yu Yu Hakusho turned into battle manga and made a great success.

Editors in Shueisha consider it is one of the greatest role models to turn a manga which ends in each single story into battle manga. The role model for Togashi was "Kinnikuman" ("Muscle Man"). It started as comedy manga and then turned into battle manga, which Togashi believes can entertain shounen in terms of both surprise and excitement.

Togashi considers character's personality is sometimes important than story. The ending of Chimera Ant arc was not what he expected at first. He makes a simulation about how his characters will talk with each other and take an action in specified situations, which allows his audience to feel as if his characters really exist.

Togashi tends to show some rules to his audience at first such as Greed Island arc. He enjoys the process finding system bugs or shortcuts in the rules to go beyond expectations of audience.

Togashi doesn't specify detailed personality of boss characters from the beginning. For example, Toguro in Yu Yu Hakusho was just a bodyguard at first, but his personality gradually became more attractive as his grudge against Genkai was revealed. About boss characters' appearances, he enjoys making them complicated since boss characters don't make much appearances.

Togashi thinks of Akira Toriyama as a god. He has Dragon Ball 30th book just to admire.

On Togashi's desk, there is some manuscripts of a fight betweemn Hisoka and Kastro which he considers as bad quality. He pays attention in order not to repeat the same error. Togashi also says that people on internet fandom were embarrassed with the chapter at that time. lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Not really. Freeza himself doesn't even exist until they're going to Namek. Vegeta initially references himself as the strongest in the universe, and there's never any word in the Saiyan Saga about how the Saiyans are just taking over planets for someone else. They talk like the Saiyans themselves were the ones selling planets to random aliens.

Toriyama himself even made a little comic recently where he admits Freeza was only created because Vegeta was too popular to be killed off, so he created a separate villain to be killed in his place.

I would like to see this, do you have a link?

Loris146

Before entering this thread i was afraid it was about the Android / Cell saga.

Sayan / Namek saga is top tier. We have the best technique / power up ( Kaio Ken and SSJ ) , the best fights ( Goku vs Vegeta and Goku vs Freezer ) , amazing characters like Zarbon , Dodoria and Ginew Squad. And , of course , one of the best villain of all time Lord Frieza.

LotusHD

Banned
Currently watching inuyasha it's highly regarded from what i can tell so far I give it a 7.5. Idk how to put it.. it's enjoyable but I get ranma 1/2 vibes from it.

I finished Rurouni Kenshin, but I'll never bother to finish Inuyasha. Just don't care anymore.

1 Great arc doesn't make it a great or even good series bro. And I just said it's an incredible that, that one arc is so above the rest of the series. It's quite the feat.

Well really I bolded it more because you said it was better than anything in OP or Naruto. I mean hell, Enies Lobby basically did the whole "Rescue a friend" mission better imo. That said, the Aizen reveal was neat at the time before it got increasingly nonsensical. It was an arc that showed clear potential for the series, but I dunno, feel like I went back and re-read it, I'd even harsher towards it.

SalvaPot

Its a Top tier arc, but not in the Top 3.

Water 7/Ennies Lobby (One Piece)

eeaaeba960fbe62f551c3004ff533e654f347a47_hq.gif

Chimera Ant arc (Hunter x Hunter

8151c6222423debdd49d1e135b0842e4.gif

My Hero Academia also has a top tier arc, but I think it needs more time to settle and see if the anime also does it justice to actually name it one of the best.

Lulubop

I finished Rurouni Kenshin, but I'll never bother to finish Inuyasha. Just don't care anymore.

Well really I bolded it more because you said it was better than anything in OP or Naruto. I mean hell, Enies Lobby basically did the whole "Rescue a friend" mission better imo. That said, the Aizen reveal was neat at the time before it got increasingly nonsensical. It was an arc that showed clear potential for the series, but I dunno, feel like I went back and re-read it, I'd even harsher towards it.

Better than any single arc yes, but as a whole no. Let's say Water 7 is an 8, I'd personally give SS a 9 but as a whole it's closer to a 4.

Fyi, any arc with a bunch of time padding (static images with music in the background / panning of static images), repitition of dialogue, extensive repetitive fights that last 40+ minutes or 40% of a feature length movie, and a shitload of exposition are not good. DBZ falls for these traps so I'm actually confused where the quality really is other than it being part of nostalgia.

Heck, animation allows you to display information faster but all these arcs are so slow with little moving information that it's a slog.

Toxi

Banned
When talking about Water 7/Enies Lobby: The Water 7 half of the arc is much better than the Enies Lobby half.

LotusHD

Banned
Its a Top tier arc, but not in the Top 3.

Water 7/Ennies Lobby (One Piece)

eeaaeba960fbe62f551c3004ff533e654f347a47_hq.gif

Chimera Ant arc (Hunter x Hunter

8151c6222423debdd49d1e135b0842e4.gif

My Hero Academia also has a top tier arc, but I think it needs more time to settle and see if the anime also does it justice to actually name it one of the best.

My Hero? Which arc is that, spoiler if neccessary. I ask because goddamn it, I have no idea what to call the arcs in that series, it all feels so blended together in a way that past shounen series aren't.

Better than any single arc yes, but as a whole no. Let's say Water 7 is an 8, I'd personally give SS a 9 but as a whole it's closer to a 4.

What makes SS edge it for you?

Top Bottom