• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

SpaceWolf

Banned
You guys are misinterpreting this. It's not 12 cameras, it's 12 setups. A setup is just that, meaning the camera and lighting is setup for one specific angle. When you change angles, you have to move the camera, move the lights, fly in or out parts of the set, etc., and set it all up again.

The article says they were only shooting 3 setups in a single day, rather than the 12-15 expected.

Oh, interesting! Thank you for the correction, I'm not usually very well aware of the day to day practicalities of a film-set and the related terminology.

Surfinn

I've been saying from the beginning that we should give this thing a shot. We haven't even seen an official image yet. I still stand by that.

That said.. My God does this film seem in bad shape. I've pretty much lost hope, but maybe some eventual footage will inspire confidence.

But of all films to make in the vast SW universe.. This was a poor choice.

Ewan is waiting, DisneyFilm.

Not sure how the Lord and Miller defenders will take this article. It really does look like they screwed the pooch here.

That same article doesn't exactly paint Lucasfilm and especially Kasdan in a great light:
...the directors felt they were being given "zero creative freedom." They also felt they were being asked to operate under "extreme scheduling constraints" and "were never given enough days for each scene from the very beginning."

"Lawrence Kasdan would not allow this and demanded that every line was said word for word. To appease him and the studio, Lord and Miller would do several takes exactly as written and then shoot additional takes."

Kasdan is said also to have been unhappy with the limited shots and displeased that Lord and Miller were calling out lines for the actors to try from behind the monitor rather than sticking with the script that he had written in collaboration with his son.

“All of the films have been 'troubled,'" says a top executive at a rival studio. “J.J. [Abrams] was powerful enough to push back on an unrealistic start date

Yet for all Lucasfilm/Kennedy/Kasdan problems with L&M:

Still, an insider says much of what Lord and Miller shot will be “very usable.”

It just shows a mismatch of styles.

Lord and Miller were use to freedom and improvising, and Lucasfilm wants it done their way and pretty much word for word.

They should have had Kasdan direct this from the beginning, simple as that.

daxy

But the source close to Lord and Miller acknowledges they have always worked in an improvisational style and not just to add comedic elements. "They collaborate closely with their actors and give them creative freedom that, in their experience, brings out the actors' best performances," this person says. "Lawrence Kasdan would not allow this and demanded that every line was said word for word. To appease him and the studio, Lord and Miller would do several takes exactly as written and then shoot additional takes."

This type of shit is what gave us Episode 2: The Cringe Wars.

https://youtu.be/buyflmtHcHc?t=54s

bill0527

Maybe the real source of the problem is something else...

maybe it's...

trying to make a Han Solo film?

Bingo. It's too bad Kasdan has so much equity in the franchise that he's allowed to have the kind of pull to make this movie. He's literally the only person on the planet that wants this.

They should have let Lord and Miller finish their movie and frame it around Old Solo and Lando talking about their old adventures. Han Solo tells it in a way that you don't know if the story is true or not... that way you could explain all the potential zany elements of the movie. Cheque pls.

It's kind of weird that a series created in the wake of the death of the big studio system is being continued in an environment where the big studio system has come back from the dead with a vengeance.

If you want total top-down control over a movie, then don't hire directors who will try to be creative with the material they're given.

Pizza

I hate the idea of this movie but I've been prepared to love it in the event that it somehow turns out great

I really like Lord & Miller and I also Iike Ron Howard, so the film is still in good hands. All three of them have really good comedic chops so I still have some hope for this film. The acting coach is kind of concerning, especially this late in the game, but if the intent is to make a good performance great instead of making a bad performance decent, I still have some room for more concern.

I bet an unfiltered lord & Miller star war would've been insane, but it also may not have felt like star wars 🤷*♂️ God I want it to be good.

They should have let Lord and Miller finish their movie and frame it around Old Solo and Lando talking about their old adventures. Han Solo tells it in a way that you don't know if the story is true or not... that way you could explain all the potential zany elements of the movie. Cheque pls.

SHIT if Harrison ford would've been on board they could have framed the entire movie like the stories from ant man. Uuuuugh that would've been rad as fuck

I am not sure why they bothered hiring them in the first place, if they weren't going to give them enough leash to do what they are good at.

Monocle

Is it really tho?
Yes. Lucas's self-indulgent frippery is thankfully behind us. Now Star Wars has new wards who are committed to the health and image of the franchise. You don't grow a brand by alienating the audience.

Lucas wanted to tell his story his way, and the result was a confused idiosyncratic mess, a weird amalgam of the world class (art design and music) and the utterly amateurish (some dialog and acting, most of the direction, and a lot more).

Disney wants to keep the cash flowing, and the result so far has been safe-ish but solid films rooted in classic staples. Disney's creative ethos for Star Wars provides a reliable foundation for the series to grow. Already, we have characters like Kylo Ren and Chirrut Imwe enriching the post-Lucas Star Wars universe. We have great leaps in cast diversity and new perspectives on familiar times, places, and themes. There are very few reasons not to be optimistic that the franchise will never again stoop to the level of Jar-Jar Binks and "I hate-sand." The pitfalls are outlined in neon.

Bobby's salt towards RLM gives me life

Take that life to the self-congratulatory 3-page thread full of people patting themselves on the back for "getting" the joke of two blank videos, and further, attempting to analyze/deconstruct why the joke is cutting satire worthy of time & energy.

Like a bunch of baby Statler & Waldorfs fell out the balcony and hit every chair on the way down.

Should have just made a Lando movie.

YUP.

PnCIa

If you look at it...they dont *really* want someone to give Star Wars their own spin. Lucasfilm and Disney want someone that does their kind of creativity, at the right amount at the right time.
Sure there will be pushback between the studio and whoever calls the shots from time to time, but why hire established directors with their own vision when you can get a tool or find someone who (luckily) shares your vision. Much safer this way, and i think they will learn from all those incidents.

Also:

That day the two used only three different setups — that is, three variations on camera placement — as opposed to the 12 to 15 that Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy had expected, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Not only was the going slow, but the few angles that had been shot did not provide a wealth of options to use in editing the movie.
That speaks volumes if true. Not enough angles to butcher the directors vision if needed.

TheXbox

Honestly based on all these respects Kasdan is coming off like a maniac.
I'm glad someone else thinks so. Word is that Lord and Miller were Kasdan's first choice, which makes this whole debacle even more insane. Like, you made your own bed, dude. Get the fuck over it.

We heard a lot of bad shit about Rogue One's production and re-shoots and test showings and it turned out to be the second-best Star Wars movie ever made.

So, I'm not going to freak out yet.

Sephzilla

Spin off movie ideas more interesting than a Han Solo movie
-- Obi-Wan alone in the desert
-- Boba Fett spaghetti western
-- Lando
-- That Stormtrooper who bonks his head in Episode 4
-- The Chronicles of Lieutenant "You Rebel Scum"

-- Lando

I want a Boba Fett Netflix series.

Each episode a new bounty. Do it up like Firefly.

tumblr_o6tpe8IgZp1qg4e0wo3_r1_400.gif

It really wouldn't surprise me if Alden/LF realized his Solo was going to be this scene spread over two hours.

-- Lando

The Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru story. Wonder what the meet cute was.

ArmGunar

We said you Lucasfilm, a spin-off about Obi-Wan and his adventures in Tatooine (or in several planets because it's impossible for him to be stayed 19 years in Tatooine) would have been a better idea

You have the actor, McGregor is awesome

numble

But obviously just as a writer.
It was green lit before they found directors, with Kasdan as an executive producer, so I don't think they would have cancelled it if the executive producer named himself director. The reason Kasdan can't take over as director is because the SAG rules forbid someone already working on a movie to take over the director's credit.

Jarmel

Banned
It was green lit before they found directors, with Kasdan as an executive producer, so I don't think they would have cancelled it if the executive producer named himself director. The reason Kasdan can't take over as director is because the SAG rules forbid someone already working on a movie to take over the director's credit.
I'm aware of why he currently can't take control but if you look at his output in the past 15 years, there's very little chance some exec at LF would have initially signed off on him actually directing a film.

jett

D-Member
Lucasfilm needs to start treating their Cinematic Universe for what it actually is: A big fat TV Miniseries

Or maybe they should stop trying to build some half-assed cinematic universe with yearly (eventually multiple) movies.

The cinematic universe tripe is an absolutely awful trend.

Vectorman

Banned
I'm glad someone else thinks so. Word is that Lord and Miller were Kasdan's first choice, which makes this whole debacle even more insane. Like, you made your own bed, dude. Get the fuck over it.

Kasdan picked L&M for Han Solo? LMAO. Like did he not bother watching the behind the scenes of these films before he went ahead and tapped them?

Or maybe they should stop trying to build some half-assed cinematic universe with yearly (eventually multiple) movies.

You're an Avatar stan, ri—

wait, sorry.

You're an ABUDAHAR (or whatever) stan, right?

So maybe nah.

If I attach a ball and chain to your ankle will that help

Are you sure you're ready for that level of commitment, Bronson? That's a big step for you and we've never even met in person.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
People here are making their cases as to why a Han Solo movie shouldn't exist, but I'm still scratching my head as to why Boba Fett is still trying to be made a thing around here.

Boba-fucking-Fett.

Top Bottom