• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo Games of All Time (2016 Edition)

Shion

Fantastic Top 10, well done GAF.

I don't agree with the Top 50, but that's natural given the amount of games Nintendo has published over the past 30+ years.

Still, though, I think that Donkey Kong Country 1, Mario Kart 64, Splatoon, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and especially Wind Waker are too high. I'm also very disappointed that games like Wave Race 64, F-Zero X, Metroid: Zero Mission, Advance Wars, Eternal Darkness and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor didn't make it in the list.

Very happy to see Zelda II in the Top 50 though, even if it's only at #38.

Lynx_7

Wow, very surprising first place, I never would've guessed it!
kappa

A bit disappointed to see GAF chose the wrong 2D and 3D Marios respectively (Galaxy > 64, Bros. 3 > World), but considering how high quality they all are it's hard to feel upset.

TTYD with that huge bump shows the thirst for a traditional Paper Mario title is real. Come on, Nintendo, can't you get it right with this one franchise?

A Link Between Worlds behind Kid Icarus Uprising for the 3DS crown is possibly the biggest mistake in this list. I feel like the original Zelda also has no business being above it but that's a historically significant game so I can at least understand why. Can't get behind hand cramps simulator though, as much as I wanted to.

Kinda sad to see only one Fire Emblem representative in the top 50, but not unexpected. Though it's interesting to note how Genealogy beat Thracia in the Gen 4 vote but lost here.

Not much else to comment really, it's a pretty standard list. My complaints are the usual stuff. Not too fond of collectathons so Banjo does nothing for me, and I'll never understand how anybody can still like Goldeneye in 2016.

KraytarJ

I just looked back at my list and saw I forgot to put Tropical Freeze on it, and I put Brawl at #4. I'm not sure why I did those things. Though Ocarina winning again is wrong as it is predictable.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, rant time bitches.

Look, I can support most kinds of prejudices you can name, but gaf's Ocarinaphobia sickens me! It's perfectly fine if you're not happy with OoT being the no. 1 Nintendo game. It's also fine if you're not happy with it being even the best Zelda game. But what I find absolutely vexing is the sheer dismissal of all the adulation it gets on the assumption that it's mostly (or even entirely) based on nothing but nostalgia.

I'm certainly not going to deny that nostalgia has played a role in my own judgement of the game. It was the game that actually got me into 3D gaming, and also was the first Zelda I managed to complete. But at the same time, it's also possible to divorce yourself from said nostalgia and critique the game in an objective manner.

As much as I love OoT, I will the first to say it's not without its flaws. The original N64 game had fairly primitive graphics, a hub world that was rather barren and not all too interesting, and compared to more recent Zeldas, probably had stiffer controls. Most, if not all its major issues are primarily due to the hardware it was based on at the time.

But despite the technical limitations, OoT still does many things better than its sequels. The dungeons, the music, story, pacing, a sense of cohesiveness. It's not nostalgia that I was disappointed with the limited dungeons in MM and WW. It's not nostalgia that I can hum dozens of tunes from OoT, while barely recalling any tracks from TP or SS. It's not nostalgia that caused me to become continuously frustrated with MM's 3 day time system, or TP's aggravating initial three hour slog, or SS's obnoxious motion controls. Sure, subsequent Zeldas may be superior in certain areas, but as a whole? No Zelda has come close to wrapping all these traits in a neat little package. Not to mention that OoT's sequels also tend to be drastically different in fundamental ways.

Which is why the criticism from the Majora's Mask side, that it supposedly improves on OoT in every way, is particularly baffling. Even if you think it does certain things better than OoT, the 3 day repeating time system is a very polarizing game mechanic. Not to mention if you prefer more dungeons, less side quests, and a more traditional Zelda experience, then you might not really enjoy Majora's Mask as much. None of this is to say that it's "wrong" to prefer less/more dungeons or a more/lesser traditional Zelda experience, but rather to point out that such differences are concrete, legitimate reasons why someone might prefer one Zelda to another.

Now there are examples of games where the criticism that subsequent games have surpassed them in most (or all) ways is a bit more legitimate. For example, games like the original Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. Both these games are incredibly primitive, and have both been improved upon in nearly every way by games like LttP and SMB3. Controls, music, graphics, level design, enemies, bosses, etc. I can't think of a single specific thing the originals do better.

Such complaints are better suited to these games rather than OoT.

/endrant

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Oh, for sure. Just, 3D World is one of the best.

You know, I just finished 3D World (100%) the other day, and I honestly don't get what all the hype was about. The levels were way too small for their own good, and the controls do not feel anywhere as tight as Galaxy's or 64's. However, most importantly, I feel that it just doesn't have the soul that Galaxy, 64, or even Sunshine had by comparison. Everything felt too lifeless.

With that being said though, I still think that it's a solid entry in the series, but it still does not hold a candle to the other 3D entries in my opinion.

AniHawk

good work compiling the list. it's a helluva lot of work! always nice seeing tp in the top 25 even though it gets a lot of undeserved hate.

perfect dark isn't a nintendo game though

Xenoblade X is above Pikmin 1 & 2, Banjo Tooie, Sin & Punishment 2, Returns and Superstar Saga

What the fuck gaf

right?

I get it, it's the new hotness, and the world is cool, but... jesus fuck X has so many problems SO MANY PROBLEMS and they aren't small ones either

I hope that if there's ever a Xenoblade X sequel, Monolith Soft hires writers who

a) actually paid a little attention during physics class
b) have actually read even a single sci-fi novel in their entire lives

I love Ocarina as much as the next guy, but Jesus, that game will never die.

Actual contender for Citizen Kane of gaming.

good work compiling the list. it's a helluva lot of work! always nice seeing tp in the top 25 even though it gets a lot of undeserved hate.

+1 compared to the last voting for TP, even.

right?

I get it, it's the new hotness, and the world is cool, but... jesus fuck X has so many problems SO MANY PROBLEMS and they aren't small ones either

meh, out of top 50 sight, out of mind. It'll go away if there's ever another ranking. Now what's baffling is Wind Waker sticking around.

Zero83

I'm shocked that NSMB Wii is way higher than NSMB U. The Wii U version is clearly leagues better, in every way.
Guess more people played it on Wii.

ASIS

Having just recently completed Super Paper Mario, I was interested to see where it landed.

162. Super Paper Mario (Wii) 3 points, 1 HM

Not bad, but should be a bit higher.

Also, yay for Skyward Sword still making the top 50 (just barely though :( )

Any game that was published by Nintendo was eligible for voting, though. It's why there's games like Banjo-Kazooie and Bayonetta 2 on the list.

I am not sure how to feel about that, it kind of feels like cheating in a way :p.

I think Majora's Mask is a far stronger game than Ocarina of Time. I never really understood what was so epic about Ocarina of Time when I first played it. It simply felt like a natural progression to what Link to the Past provided. Majora's Mask was simply on a whole other level for me. The 3-Day cycle provided a unique experience that I have yet to see be replicated in other games, and not to mention, while the dungeons are lower than what you'd typically find in OOT, the quality of puzzles were fantastic and a joy to explore (can't really say the same for OOT, as I'm not a fan of the Forest, Shadow Temples amongst others).

Thanks for doing this!

PS: 199 (not sure which game they mean, as ArtStyle was Wii and DS only, but bitGenerations came to GBA) and 279 (and 283 really) are the same game.

Doesn't affect scoring though!

Apparently, what I like about Nintendo is far different from what virtually everyone else likes about Nintendo. I knew that, but man, has it been codified here for me.

Also, what was the third Virtual Boy game? I voted for two of them (VB Wario Land at #1 and Teleroboxer as a HM), but I didn't see a third on that long list of results. What am I missing?

Crayolan

Man, OoT at #1 feels so...cliche. OoT is a fantastic game but it's pretty damn overrated even within its own series.

But I didn't vote so I guess I shouldn't be speaking.

Nice to see Mother 3 getting recognition despite what has to be a really low number of people who've played it compared to most of the other games here.

Aters

I just recently discovered Advance Wars series. How could I sit on it for so long? Next time my vote will be drastically changed.

For the longest time Nintendo was just Fire Emblem + Pokemon for me, but now I can add Metroid + Zelda + Advance Wars. I think I'm becoming a Nintendo fan, which is funny because aside from A Link Between Worlds, Nintendo really isn't doing much for me this gen.

115. Fire Emlem Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES) 6 points, 3 HM

When your favorite game is not in top 100 :(

rex

Some thoughts on the list:

-Kind of annoyed at Super Metroid for edging out SM64 for the number two spot. To me, N64's Mario and first Zelda will always represent the high point of Nintendo's history and I would've liked to see those two giants standing side by side

-Out of the top ten I think Metroid Prime is the least deserving. For the first four sections or so of the game, it's absolutely as good as people say. But the truly awful strafing battles with Space Pirates in the latter half of the game prevent it from being an all time great. Not only does that stuff not fit what Metroid is, it's bad gameplay period, and really drags the game down once it starts happening consistently.

-Great showing for Kid Icarus Uprising. After several attempts, I simply accepted the fact that the game literally causes physical pain when playing it, but, once you get past that tiny little problem, it becomes clear that it's one of the more remarkable Nintendo games in recent memory.

-Expect the Wii U games to show precipitous drops in the years ahead, especially Splatoon.

-Speaking of precipitous drops, NSMB Wii takes a well deserved dive into the abyss. Laughable that people would say it's better than something like SMB3

-Poor 3D World. Has it already been forgotten, or did it never even matter in the first place? Probably a little of both

Overall, it was a bad day for the 'this game hasn't aged well' crowd. But perhaps one day they'll accept the truth, that those old games at the top of the list are just flat out better than many of the ones that came after.

Chopper

You know, I just finished 3D World (100%) the other day, and I honestly don't get what all the hype was about. The levels were way too small for their own good, and the controls do not feel anywhere as tight as Galaxy's or 64's. However, most importantly, I feel that it just doesn't have the soul that Galaxy, 64, or even Sunshine had by comparison. Everything felt too lifeless.

With that being said though, I still think that it's a solid entry in the series, but it still does not hold a candle to the other 3D entries in my opinion.
Yeah. I kinda get that. I mean, the Galaxy games were exemplary in their own way. The first one more so, in my opinion. I just feel like 3D World was the definitive evolution of Mario. I absolutely understood exactly what Nintendo were trying to achieve with that game and totally fell in love with it. I could articulate this better, but I'm drunk. I just think it's incredible.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently, what I like about Nintendo is far different from what virtually everyone else likes about Nintendo. I knew that, but man, has it been codified here for me.

Also, what was the third Virtual Boy game? I voted for two of them (VB Wario Land at #1 and Teleroboxer as a HM), but I didn't see a third on that long list of results. What am I missing?

Virtual Boy representing. It was Galactic Pinball!

rex

Looks like my top ten is all present and accounted for in the top 50, though I'm not sure why Goldeneye is so far ahead of the clearly superior Perfect Dark.

Goldeneye's better in the only area that really matters: level design. The dam through Bunker 2 first half plus the Control through Aztec conclusion just blows Perfect Dark out of the water.

PD's guns are also hit and miss, with the alien weapons (and really the whole alien shooting stuff) being a horrible misstep, and its assault rifles in particular have absolutely horrible sound design for some reason. They have a strange rattling sound that makes them annoying to use. GE has the great KF7 and the absolutely ferocious AR33. And its other weapons are very well executed as well.

rex

perhaps at a certain point there's an inverse relationship between mechanical depth with the controls and the depth that can be presented by the level design. you say mario 64 has arguably the most mechanical depth in a 3d mario game because of the controls whereas something like 3d world is very limited in that regard. however the depth of the level design and pure platforming in 3d world is astounding whereas the depth of the level design and pure platforming in 64 is very limited.

Good thing Mario 64 isn't a pure platformer then. It's an exploration game and it created stages that emphasized exploration. And they succeeded brilliantly at it.

The fact that Mario 64 deviated from what a tiny, narrow-minded minority thinks is acceptable for a Mario game does not constitute a game flaw.

Also, it's interesting to note that when Mario 64 does emphasize 'pure platforming' in Tick Tock Clock, it not only out classes every platforming stage in Galaxy but the vast majority in 3D land also, and it does so while not sacrificing for an instant the freedom and puzzle solving seen in its other stages.

Pure Platforming is one of many different types of gameplay SM64 incorporates, and by not focusing on just one thing it's a much better game for it. Tight focused platforming is not interesting enough to sustain an entire game, which is why Nintendo will almost certainly move away from it for the next Mario.

-Out of the top ten I think Metroid Prime is the least deserving. For the first four sections or so of the game, it's absolutely as good as people say. But the truly awful strafing battles with Space Pirates in the latter half of the game prevent it from being an all time great. Not only does that stuff not fit what Metroid is, it's bad gameplay period, and really drags the game down once it starts happening consistently.

Good thing Mario 64 isn't a pure platformer then. It's an exploration game and it created stages that emphasized exploration. And they succeeded brilliantly at it.

The fact that Mario 64 deviated from what a tiny, narrow-minded minority thinks is acceptable for a Mario game does not constitute a game flaw.

I would argue SM64 is a much larger deviation from what Mario was previously compared to Metroid Prime vs. M 1-3. So why is what 64 does acceptable and certain things in Prime not? I would also argue that SM64 also has some crappy levels in the latter half that bring the game down... Dire Dire Docks, Snowman's Land, and Rainbow Ride to name a few.

Oblivion

I would argue SM64 is a much larger deviation from what Mario was previously compared to Metroid Prime vs. M 1-3. So why is what 64 does acceptable and certain things in Prime not? I would also argue that SM64 also has some crappy levels in the latter half that bring the game down... Dire Dire Docks, Snowman's Land, and Rainbow Ride to name a few.

Really? You're gonna hate on a level that has music like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl0ky4DcHA

entremet

Favorite Developer by far, but it's sad how the best of lists just end up being mostly three franchises--Mario, Zelda, Metroid for the top 10.

TheFuzz

I forgot to mention, Kid Icarus Uprising deserves to go higher. That game is incredible and I enjoy it better than Sakurai's other games.

Oblivion

Favorite Developer by far, but it's sad how the best of lists just end up being mostly three franchises--Mario, Zelda, Metroid for the top 10.

Somebody made a suggestion that next time such a list should exclude those three, and I'd be interested to see such a thing.

Eolz

WTF Gaf?!!! I'm the only person who voted for this? You let me down!

If it makes you feel any better it's one of the few games that just missed the cut for my ballot, along with Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and the first WarioWare.

Same. Hard choices had to be made, would have been in my top 15 for sure :/
DKJB is super underrated, especially the GC version.

rex

Keep in mind though that the Mario series had already evolved away from the type of platforming offered by SMB3, first with SMW's increased focus on exploration, and then even more so with Yoshi's Island which, whether you consider it a Mario game or not, was a major release by Nintendo in the platforming genre. And as such it represented what Nintendo thought a platformer could and should be at the time. SM64 is very much in line with the thinking that gave us Yoshi's Island.

And as for Metroid Prime, if I held it to the standard of past Metroid games I'd judge it largely a failure because it abandoned Samus' acrobatics and platforming which simply don't work as well in first person.

But I do give it a pass on that and evaluate it on its own. And I just think the game falls apart 2/3 of the way through. Space Station, Magmoor, Overworld and Chozo Ruins are phenomenal (assuming I don't hold its lack of quality platforming gameplay against it). But I think it unravels a little bit after that. That doesn't make it a bad game by any stretch but I think it prevents it from being a top ten game because the top ten has games with almost no flaws whatsoever.

Yoshi's Island not being top 5 is awful. all of GAF should be banned

Did my part and put it as my #3, had the first two reserved for the GOATS of all time.

There are a few other injustices in this ranking too. Animal Crossing being above New Leaf and the wario land series being ranked too low, for example. But I can deal with that

entremet

Somebody made a suggestion that next time such a list should exclude those three, and I'd be interested to see such a thing.

Did the original thread have a one franchise per top 10 entry rule. That works well too.

It let's Nintendo deep cuts get more representation. Their deep cuts are really good too!

ohlawd

Metroid Prime at 5, Galaxy 2 at 10, Paper Mario: TTYD at 17, and two Pokemon games in the top 25

does GAF even video games?

Lothar

Banned
He shouldn't make a circle, he should do the animation where he pivots and slides for a second (if you jump during this he does a flip jump).

This is the case when Mario is running at full speed. But if he's not, then he'll run in a small circle. If you try to do the flip jump, he'll just jump straight up in the air.

You can really see the problem with Mario 64 controls in the Bowser stages, when there's moving platforms and slides. Sometimes something changes and you have forward momentum and you can't easily turn around. Mario will do a small circle and you'll probably fall off the ledge. Or you'll try to do a flip jump and he'll just straight up.

This thread is a mess, wow so many crazy opinions. My favorite game is MM but OoT of course deserves to be #1 on any game list. So you got it right gaf. The top ten being all Zelda, Mario and metroid is also correct. Some choices are strange but we are dealing with some all time amazing games.

Top Bottom