• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confusion : PC gaming and XBOX brand/ecosystem?

0racle

Hey guys, maybe someone here can help me out. I just got a very capable PC that is much more powerful than current generation systems.

I love my Ps4 and game heavily on it. I also have an XBOX one that I never bother with unless an exclusive comes along. Last year at E3 Microsoft mentioned something about playing together and a unified platform between Xbox and windows 10.

So what's the word? Starting from the very basics. Do I still need an Xbox ?

Majine

Banned
Newer Xbox exclusives that have launched from fall last year (ReCore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4) are also on the PC.

It's called the Xbox Play Anywhere Program, there is a logo on compatible games.

PantsuJo

Trust us, download Steam (and/or GOG Galaxy) and you will be happy forever.

Avoid Windows Store and its exclusives at any cost.

Chobel

Depends on the game you want in Xbox, for online games W10 will suffer from (very) low online population and not all games will support crossplay with Xbox consoles.

opricnik

Banned
Hey guys, maybe someone here can help me out. I just got a very capable PC that is much more powerful than current generation systems.

I love my Ps4 and game heavily on it. I also have an XBOX one that I never bother with unless an exclusive comes along. Last year at E3 Microsoft mentioned something about playing together and a unified platform between Xbox and windows 10.

So what's the word? Starting from the very basics. Do I still need an Xbox ?

No, you can play their titles from W10 Store basically.

Most are them have Cross Play too

In theory, all upcoming Xbox exclusive games (starting with ReCore) will be avaliable on Windows Store too. Some of them Will he play anywhere which means your digital Xbox versión will grant you access to the Windows 10 versión too.
Unless MS steps back on their playanywhere program, you wont need a Xbox One.

EvB

Here is a website dedicated to it
http://www.xboxplayanywhere.com/

So unless you have a burning desire to the play any one of the numerous games that aren't play anywhere or available on another platform, then the answer is no.
However if you are buying Multiplatform games, then there is an argument to say you may be better buying them on Xbox as they will increasingly becoming playable on Xbox One, PC and Scorpio, so you will be able to have the best version on PC or Console available to you.

However, this all becomes irrelevant if you like to buy games on disc, as it is a digital only program.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Trust us, download Steam (and/or GOG Galaxy) and you will be happy forever.

Avoid Windows Store and its exclusives at any cost.
Yah basically this. Dont bother about buying xbox games on Windows store.

LewieP

I think the only significant Xbox One only games now are Halo 5 & Sunset Overdrive. There's sort of Halo: Master Chief Collection and Rare Replay, but it's a bit of a stretch to describe rereleases of older games as being Xbox One only. There's also previous entries in the Forza series, and maybe a couple of others that I'm missing.

I think the biggest question mark over future Xbox One exclusives is Halo 6. I could see them going either way with that. All currently announced MS published Xbox One games are also coming to PC via the Windows 10 App Store, but they have not fully committed to this being the case with all games going forward.

A lot of MS published games published on the Windows 10 App Store have technical problems. Most of them in fact. Currently there is no way to improve them with mods, either. The store experience still isn't great either. It's not clear to what extent Microsoft are committed to addressing these problems.

If you buy games branded as being "play anywhere" digitally, you get both the Xbox version and the Windows 10 App Store version in one purchase, and your save can be shared across devices. Pretty sure they all have a single shared pool for multiplayer, and there's no paywall for multiplayer (so far) on PC.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Depends on the game you want in Xbox, for online games W10 will suffer from (very) low online population and not all games will support crossplay with Xbox consoles.

Pretty much.
And quality of ports. Though I think that will continue to improve to the point where it won't be an issue.
I hope they will just say fuck it and implement mouse/keyboard on the console with no restrictions. Xbox might as well be a PC now, and I don't think it will actually make that big of a difference, 90% of the users will still use a controller.
Give us full Windows on it too, just go nuts with it.

nded

Buy a cross buy compatible game and try it out on PC. If it sucks, you can always just play it on your Xbone.

LewieP

Buy a cross buy compatible game and try it out on PC. If it sucks, you can always just play it on your Xbone.

I think the Windows 10 App Store will usually give you a refund if you're not happy with your purchase, but you will need to actually speak to their CS, it's not an automated process.

Nzyme32

Basically, since you already have an Xbox, Microsoft Xbox PC gaming venture is pretty great for if you enjoy that ecosystem, and regularly use the machine. You can get many games once on Xbox or PC and also own the other version on PC or Xbox respectively gratis. You get the same ecosystem, achievements syncing, friends etc and soon (or already) lots of UWP apps (though not always identical between stores as some might not be allowed on the Xbox console store.

However, Microsoft's Xbox version of PC gaming is very much just that, the ecosystem is more closed, less interoperable and games ultimately rely on Microsoft services to self serve that bubble. You practically get a more flexible console version of said game. If Microsoft is to believed, they also seem keen to have updates be in lock step between the to systems, which throws away much of the benefits of the PC gaming space in the first place.

You don't really need your Xbox unless you are keen to play exclusives not found on the PC Xbox store, regularly use that machine / haven't got a PC conducive with the same spot the Xbox is in your house (eg your PC is a huge tower / can't get an HDMI cable there etc.), or if you need the ease of use you expect of the console.

You could easily use the Xbox PC ecosystem as its own bubble without the console, but also utilise the myriad of stores, games, services and openness of the PC in general for gaming. Many stores like Steam GOG and Humble will grant you win / Mac / Linux versions of games when you buy and as they become available, so you have a bit of future proofing there should you end up on a different OS later. Prices are much more competitive, variety of games is ridiculous, many features or services like Steam and all manner of hardware / peripherals and services can be interoperable, modifiable and easily shared around.

Also join the SteamGAF community thread for some spare and gift games across a variety of stores and cool deals.

I think you mean download swat 4 from gog and don't buy anything else because that would be unnecessary

Both are pretty damn good.

0racle

Thanks all,

My main concern was usage going forward for my Xbox. I'm wondering if I should just sell. I only play exclusives on it if they intice me, mainly Forza series.

Zedox

Thanks all,

My main concern was usage going forward for my Xbox. I'm wondering if I should just sell. I only play exclusives on it if they intice me, mainly Forza series.

As someone stated earlier, it's basically up to the games and population of multiplayer for those games and if they support cross-play across modes that you care about. Could you sell your xbox? Sure. But I wouldn't expect having the games on your PC to be the experience you would expect if it was on Xbox...they are trying to knit the platforms closer together but they aren't there yet.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Thanks all,

Keep it for the Xbox 360 back compat and some of the titles that released before Xbox Play Anywhere.
Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay, Red Dead Redemption, Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey, entire Halo saga, entire Gears saga, entire Fable saga if they decide to fucking release Anniversary already... all in one place, it's nice.

GHG

Thanks all,

See what your experience is like with the windows store first and then decide if you want to keep the Xbox one or not.

My suggestion would to try games that you already own on the Xbox One digitally if they are Xbox play anywhere games (for example Forza Horizon 3) and then go from there.

Majine

Banned
Thanks all,

If you trust Microsoft to continue with the Play Anywhere program, sure, sell it.

Historically, they have abandoned the PC from time to time.

Grief.exe

There are Microsoft games on the Windows store, but they use a proprietary standard called UWP which oftentimes keeps the games from performing well, acts as a form of DRM, and prevents modders from touching the executable to attempt to fix any of these issues.

The majority of games Microsoft has released through the Windows Store have had issues. The suggestion right now would be to avoid these games for the most part, but you can check out their library on the Xbox Store.

I just uninstall all of that junk when I install Windows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chobel

Thanks all,

For Forza series you most likely won't need Xbox, because racing games should have crossplay between Xbox and PC, so there's no worries about online population. Don't expect all MS exclusives to have crossplay though, some games won't (Halo Wars 2, Halo 6...etc).

Top Bottom