• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking down real world chances for GTA5 on Switch

This is obviously speculation, but what do people feel the actual real world chances of GTA5 on Switch are?

Concept approval: GTA has been on Nintendo platforms before with their off-shoot handheld entries. GTA: Advance on GBA, GTA:Chinatown Wars on DS, etc. It's not as if having GTA on a Nintendo platform is unprecedented.

If we're being honest, we know Nintendo's relationship with this type of material can be shaky. We all know their history and the squeaky clean image they always strive for. Still, I don't believe there would be a problem here for GTAV. Even Manhunt released on Wii.

Technical: This is my real question mark. The game ran on PS3 and Xbox 360 with far less RAM. Those who understand the switch architecture more (specifically about the CPU and GPU), can the Switch hold up in portable mode for a slightly juiced up version similar to the PS3/360 outing? Really would love to know what people think about this one.

Developer relationship, development environment, misc: Do Rockstar, Take Two, and Nintendo have a healthy enough relationship these days to make this want to happen?
Is Rockstar even in a strategic position to want to port a game this many years out? (I suspect they will port this as long as they can, like the others)

Anything else you can think of? Interested in hearing people's opinions on whether it can be done and whether it will be done!

opricnik

Banned
This is obviously speculation, but what do people feel the actual real world chances of GTA5 on Switch are?

Concept approval: GTA has been on Nintendo platforms before with their off-shoot handheld entries. GTA: Advance on GBA, GTA:Chinatown Wars on DS, etc. It's not as if having GTA on a Nintendo platform is unprecedented.

If we're being honest, we know Nintendo's relationship with this type of material can be shaky. We all know their history and the squeaky clean image they always strive for. Still, I don't believe there would be a problem here for GTAV. Even Manhunt released on Wii.

Technical: This is my real question mark. The game ran on PS3 and Xbox 360 with far less ram. Those who understand the switch architecture more (specifically about the CPU and GPU), can the Switch hold up in portable mode for a slightly juiced up version similar to the PS3/360 outing? Really would love to know what people think about this one.

Developer relationship, development environment, misc: Do Rockstar, Take Two, and Nintendo have a healthy enough relationship these days to make this want to happen?
Is Rockstar even in a strategic position to want to port a game this many years out? (I suspect they will port this as long as they can, like the others)

Anything else you can think of? Interested in hearing people's opinions on whether it can be done and whether it will be done!

Technically it can be done. GTA 5 is pretty last gen game in terms of tech even remastered versions can scale up pretty easily. Ram is quite problem but they can offer something looking good and having 30 fps .

But it wont happen outside of tech problems like they wont able update game regularly / micro transactions,porting GTA Online is quite heavy too.

If it was GTA 5 Single Player edition it would happen but then Rockstar wouldnt want that.

if Rockstar is listening or reading gaf

I will pay $48 (after amazon discount) for a GTA V switch port since I never finished the main story and I own it on 360 and one lol
If they fixed the online loading it would be an amazing get for switch

but Bully first, or a rockstar collection

Eolz

Low.
Which is a real missed opportunity considering how much money they're making with it, and how people are buying it several times (and considering how it wouldn't be too hard to port it there).

I don't really see there being much of a want for it really, it wouldnt look as good or run as well as its ps4 and One counterparts. It's certainly plausible for it to happen, I just don't see why they would though.

If it was GTA 5 Single Player edition it would happen but then Rockstar wouldnt want that.

This is actually a good point. I would pay full price for a single-player-only version of the game on Switch if that's what was required to launch it here. If the only thing holding it back were online mode development challenges, I'd be totally fine with dropping that. However, like you're speculating, Rockstar (and by extension Take Two) wouldn't be.

I don't really see there being much of a want for it really, it wouldnt look as good or run as well as its ps4 and One counterparts. It's certainly plausible for it to happen, I just don't see why they would though.

Yeah, I can't speak for others, but I know people like me would definitely double (or triple, quadruple) dip on this game just to have it as a portable.

MrBigBoy

Well, since GTA Online became a big cashcow, I think Rockstar wants to reach as much people as possible.

If the rumor of LA Noire on the Switch is true, then maybe. But I don't really see it happening.

MisterHero

It won't fit on currently supported cartridges. Not even a hypothetical 64GB model.

And I'm willing to triple dip.

Piers

The complication is that Rockstar prefer releasing their games on systems that specifically aren't Nintendo.

120v

well people are still buying the damn game. like, lots of people

there's definitely incentive. switch will be hot item and it's technically feasible, i guess online is the only question mark

There is no reason whatsoever on why the Switch couldn't handle GTA V. It could even be a higher-res version of the PS3/X360 game and it would handle it with no issues. As far as third-party games not selling on Nintendo system? GTA V is one that would absolutely sell on anything Rockstar decides to put it in. Nintendo really should try to get GTA V, Overwatch, and Rocket League on Switch. Those would basically be guaranteed million-copy sellers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There isn't much reason why it shouldn't happen... If Switch is a success.
It won't fit on currently supported cartridges. Not even a hypothetical 64GB model.

And I'm willing to triple dip.
Yet they still shipped the 360 version.

I assume they've all moved onto the next thing. GTA Online is a state but they won't fix it so there's no chance of them doing another port unless they had an incentive.

MisterHero

This is what we really need.

GTAV can stay on the PC and current gen consoles, the switch probably wouldn't be able to do that great anyway.
No I want it on Switch. My chances of getting good cooperative players increases with other Nintendo fans.

I'm willing to accept that it won't come, but it was mostly a jab at how even NeoGAF doesn't have a good PC community.

Mikey Jr.

Is there a number lower than 0?

I don't think its a technical problem. Why isn't GTAV on WiiU?

It's a userbase problem. The tried and true "I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" usually sticks true.

Massa

You're looking at porting a massive code base to a new platform, plus supporting it with their online updates, which now need a monthly team developing and testing it there. And the return of that is that you can sell your game that has already sold 75 million copies on a platform from a vendor where the series has no tradition of doing well at all. You're looking at what, one or two million copies at best? A platform that's launching with no microtransactions support at all when that's what makes GTA profitable to today.

And you can't even justify the investment on porting the engine because it will mean nothing for future Rockstar games, where they'll be pushing a much higher base line than this.

Zero, unless they cap it hard. For starters, the current version won't fit.

Anyone saying "so you're telling me there's a chance" is delusional.

GTA V seems so similar to Skyrim in terms of it being a hugely popular game originally released on 360/PS3.

With how it keeps selling and how very feasible a port is, you would think you could get good sales for a portable GTA V.

The real question OP, would be when will R* announce RDR2 for Switch.

I see this as a pipe dream. RDR2 was developed with leaving old architecture behind. Whereas GTAV was built to be fully scalable even for PS3/X360 which are 11-12 years old. This is why I see GTAV as a distant possibility.

thefro

There's nothing preventing it from happening other than Take 2 wanting to do it.

The game ran decently enough on PS3/360 and would run better on the Switch.

It's still selling a bunch of copies on other platforms, so I would think a port would be profitable.

brau

I see this as a pipe dream. RDR2 was developed with leaving old architecture behind. Whereas GTAV was built to be fully scalable even for PS3/X360 which are 11-12 years old. This is why I see GTAV as a distant possibility.

Hmmm... i would see a spinoff of the game, like the PSP games based on GTAV as a possibility. But i don't think the Switch would get a GTAV straight up port.

Now, RDR2 is a different matter, we just need to see them announce it for the Switch with a date ;D

The Realest question when will R* announce RDR 2 for PC

What if RDR2 comes out for the Switch before it hits PC? that would be wild. haha

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
never gonna happen.

it could easily run the game but it likely won't be able to keep up with PS4/XB1/PC as far as GTA Online is concerned. they've already ditched PS3/360. the only way i could see rockstar releasing it on switch is if they could get GTA Online working. that's all they care about now. shark card money.

Xando

By the time switch takes off rockstar probably is almost fully shifted to GTA6/RDR2 and then again i'm not sure if rockstar/take two thinks nintendos online structure will be up to it considering they are pushing RDR2 and GTA5 online modes pretty strong.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Switch is a Nintendo, indie game, and japanese third party portable game machine.

Abandon hope all ye who expect the big western (and even quite a few japanese) console games. This couldn't be any clearer.

Top Bottom