• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There might be a new Jay-Z album on the way.

Jay-Z is that aging wrestler that can still put on a decent match. Is there anyone else in rap who's flow committed suicide over the years? How is that even possible?

He's overdue for a hot album. Maybe he'll go back to rapping about selling coke and make a decent album. But if he's on that duality shit the album gonna be trash.

last decent album he put out was in 2007 so over the span of 10 years he's put out

AG
BP3
MCHG

three albums in 10 years, nigga? I could divide
That's one every... let's say two; two of them shits was due
two were "nah," the other was AG
That's a one-aight-album-every-10-year average.

rrc1594

He's overdue for a hot album. Maybe he'll go back to rapping about selling coke and make a decent album. But if he's on that duality shit the album gonna be trash.

last decent album he put out was in 2007 so over the span of 10 years he's put out

AG
BP3
MCHG

Dead

jaekeem

unless he's gonna spit like he did back on AG/The Black Album, this just sounds like another "production carries it; jay-z flow trash now"

JKM78613

Neo Member
If the album is of a similar quality to his verse on "Biking", I hope it never finds a release.

Just put out an album co-branded by Audemars and be done with it, dude.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

AG
BP3
MCHG

I thought MCHG was solid for a "wealthy dude rap album" but I want better. Also I though American Gangster in front of the El train I hated it so much back then. Not as bad as I remember but bottom 3 of his catalog for me easy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let's be real here, best case scenario is that this is a Jay Electronica release with marketing paid for by whatever money he could finagle out of that Rothschild relationship.

I thought MCHG was solid for a "wealthy dude rap album" but I want better. Also I though American Gangster in front of the El train I hated it so much back then. Not as bad as I remember but bottom 3 of his catalog for me easy.
I honestly don't know what could make you like a modern Jay album if AG doesn't do it for you.
Pretty much his tied for his best as far as I'm concerned.

IrishNinja

Let's pretend that Jay doesn't destroy all of WTT.
Some truly incredible verses from Jay on there.

I'll agree on this

Hov doesn't get the respect he deserves, I'm disgusted.

top 10 rapper that fell off hard a short time after he came back wearin the 45, it ain't hard to tell

Let's be real here, best case scenario is that this is a Jay Electronica release with marketing paid for by whatever money he could finagle out of that Rothschild relationship.

this is beyond the pale even for an enzo post

"Black excellence, opulence, decadence
Tuxes next to the president, I’m present
I dress, in Dries, and other boutique stores in Paris
In sheepskin coats, I silence the lambs

Do you know who I am, Clarice?
No cheap cologne whenever I “shh-shh”
Success never smelled so sweet
I stink of success, the new black elite
They say my Black Card bears the mark of the beast
I repeat: my religion is the beat
My verse is like church, my Jesus piece
Now please, domino, domino
Only spot a few blacks the higher I go
What’s up to Will? Shout out to O
That ain’t enough.. we gonna need a million more
"Kick in the door" Biggie flow
I’m all dressed up with nowhere to go...."

This is one of Jay's best verses and his delivery on the bolded is absolutely insane, especially the "Sheepskin" part.

Let's not forget No Church in The Wild which is one of his best/most complex verses which somehow manages not to teeter into pseudo-deepness like too many tracks on MCHG do, and Primetime, and Why I Love You, and more.

jaekeem

oh yeah, I forgot jay killed WTT

true..true

I think kanye brought the fire out of him though.

there's a clear disparity in effort between WTT and Jay's more recent solo efforts

can you imagine a hungrier jay-z over beats like holy grail? hngh

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
No one would waste these kinds of resources on a pile of human refuse known as Jay Elec. he might be worse than MF Doom in terms of overall delivery. At least MF could do a full project.

I just want that jay that keeps featuring on all those ross songs. That plus watch the thrones jay would make a fire ass album. Please no bikeing/MCHG/ pound cake flows. Please hova. Just make one more for the streets and then do what you want after that. I'd kill for an actual good
Jay and nas song ( I don't like black reps)
Jay and cole song ( don't like star is born or nice watch)
Jay and Kendrick song ( fuck outta here with that kill my vibe remix)
That's all I want. Bonus points for a renegade pt. 2 with em actually rapping about one topic.

Hov doesn't get the respect he deserves, I'm disgusted.

Neogaf isnt representative of anything. He's royalty in the entertainment industry. There's a reason Roc Nation has as much pull in sports and music as it does. That said, he should continue being a mogul who blesses us with a rare feature. We dont need a full project from him anymore.

Would Kanye's involvement be getting other rappers to work with Jay? Up in here acting like Life of Flabo wasn't a dud.

Jay's almost 50 and hasn't figured out how to make a good album not about crack, I just can't really care anymore. I'm happy to be surprised, but expecting to be underwhelmed.

But if he pulls out an album that's consistently "nickel and dimed" status, it'd be some Bron coming back from 3-1 shit.

Neogaf isnt representative of anything. He's royalty in the entertainment industry. There's a reason Roc Nation has as much pull in sports and music as it does.
This mentality is everywhere across the web, I can go anywhere and see this rhetoric.
There's a stark difference between a lot of the Jay slander seen online and the way he's perceived by his friends/peers/young artists he's mentored/business partner, etc etc.

jaekeem

This mentality is everywhere across the web, I can go anywhere and see this rhetoric.
There's a stark difference between a lot of the Jay slander seen online and the way he's perceived by his friends/peers/young artists he's mentored/business partner, etc etc.

what does jay's stature as an entertainment mogul have to do with how much his rapping has become inconsistent in quality ??

why should the average listener care about jay's mentorships/businesses when judging his music?

jay is a boss, but i really don't see why that matters when it comes to judging his music

Would Kanye's involvement be getting other rappers to work with Jay? Up in here acting like Life of Flabo wasn't a dud.

Jay's almost 50 and hasn't figured out how to make a good album not about crack, I just can't really care anymore. I'm happy to be surprised, but expecting to be underwhelmed.

But if he pulls out an album that's consistently "nickel and dimed" status, it'd be some Bron coming back from 3-1 shit.
I agree with everything in this post . Except I think WTT is like jay 2nd/3rd best and it's mostly not about crack.

what does jay's stature as an entertainment mogul have to do with how much his rapping has become inconsistent in quality ??

why should the average listener care about jay's mentorships/businesses when judging his music?

jay is a boss, but i really don't see why that matters when it comes to judging his music
It ain't about music, I don't care about Jay's personal life when it comes to his music, but Jay gets a lot of hate towards himself and his music/legacy despite it being irrelevant towards his music, from things regarding his personal life.
That person was talking about how the industry perceives and respects him which is why I mentioned that

I recommend everyone in here play that feature list I posted on the last page, and play American Gangster again, and just really sink into the lyricism.
Also I want to see more Spiritual type lyricism, but polished because this track was unfinished:
https://youtu.be/K2RH02WGbcA

Someone else posted this:
"Look at who features on track two and look at the time.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/grateful/id1244230120"

Also Jay's been filming a video this week apparently.
If this is all for the Shining video I'm going to be sick.

I also don't believe Jay's album isn't going to come out until it's closer to his festival appearances so this may still be the case.

PlsnoKhaled

Top Bottom