• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

And yes, not just random fans. They have the blue check marks!

FYI, Spider-Man 1 and especially Spider-Man 2 were really well regarded by critics. If one of the tweets below calls Homecoming the 2nd or 3rd best Spidey film, it's probably because that person really liked the first two Raimi flicks.

cheers to George Oscar Bluth II for the cleaned up links.
Germain Lussier | Gizmodo & io9
Spider-Man: Homecoming is a blast. It has an innocence that differentiates it from the other MCU movies but plenty of fun & spectacle too.

it felt weird at the start, but then act 3 clicks in BIG TIME. A few days removed, the more I think about it, the more I like it.

I was also surprised at the number of times Homecoming surprised me, despite all the rumors I read. Though I'd advise to stop doing that now

And because people will ask, Spider-Man: Homecoming is EASILY the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2. Close to Raimi's original.

William Bibbiani | CRAVE
#SpiderManHomecoming is the third best Spider-Man movie. The cast is great, the tone is affable, the drama is... a little thin, honestly.

The film glosses over his origin, which robs Spider-Man of his inherent tragedy. So it plays like a teen flick about growing up too fast.

Jeff D. Lowe | Good Morning America
REVIEW: #SpiderManHomecoming:
- 91/100
- @TomHolland1996 = best ever
- Keaton is fantastic
- Loads of fun/well paced
- Great plot points

MORE: #SpiderManHomecoming
- My 6th best comic book movie since 2006/t3rd best MCU film
- Great villain w/depth
- Great twists and turns

Brandon Davis | ComicBook
Spider-Man: Homecoming...

My new favorite super hero movie of all time.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is endless fun, from the first second to the last. Flawless.

Erik Davis | Fandango
#SpiderManHomecoming is SUCH a good time. Fun, inventive action w/ some of the best humor in a Marvel film yet. Great start for MCU Spidey!

My favorite thing about this Spidey film is that it was so outer-boro NY. Queens, Brooklyn & Staten Island represent!!!

Kate Erbland | IndieWire
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is so, so much fun (more later, but I ate too much Bunch a Crunch and laughed a lot so now I have a headache).

Mike Ryan | Uproxx
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is an absolute, gosh-darned DELIGHT. It's like Spider-Man meets CAN'T HARDLY WAIT.

And this Peter just loves being Spider-Man more than anything. Pure joy. His catchphrase should be "With great power comes great FUN."

Matt Singer | ScreenCrush
As a huge Spider-Man fan who hated both AMAZING SPIDER-MANs, I am so happy to say SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is really fun. Tom Holland = *two thumbs up emoticons*

Eric Walkuski | JoBlo
#SpiderManHomecoming is one of the best Marvel movies and the best Spider-Man movie, period. So completely terrific, a true crowd pleaser.

@TomHolland1996 is so good in this role, I'd see a dozen more #Spiderman movies. Like, tonight. They just got the character so right.

The tone is perfect throughout; the high school comedy stuff 100% works, and the superhero action is genuinely exciting and looks great.

Not hyperbole, honestly. I really can't wait to see it again. It's going to be such a massive hit and a lot of people's fav superhero film.

Steven Weintraub | Collider
Absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED Spider-Man Homecoming. Funny. Filled with surprises. Tons of fun. Going to make insane $ at box office.

Also Spider-Man Homecoming has one of the best after the credits scenes yet. But not for the reason you'd expect. Trust me. Stay till end.

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING is my favorite of the Spider-Man movies so far. I like first two Sam Raimi ones but this is better. Avoid spoilers!!

Molly Freeman | Screen Rant
#SpiderManHomecoming is SO MUCH FUN. The action is BADASS. Tom Holland is THE BEST Peter Parker hands down. I'm pumped after seeing it

ALSO #SpiderManHomecoming is the funniest movie I've seen ALL YEAR ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Angie J. Han | Mashable
#SpiderManHomecoming is fantastic. Perfectly cast. Does an impressive job of balancing superheroics & high school drama.

Leaning into Spidey being a teenager was a GREAT idea. #SpiderManHomecoming

Devan Coggan | Entertainment Weekly
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is pure joy. Tom Holland is perfect: He's having the time of his life, and it shows.

Also, it's really funny. Like, REALLY funny — with some great surprises.

I roll my eyes whenever anyone says their movie has a John Hughes tone, but Spidey actually nails it.

Joshua Yehl | IGN Comics
#SpiderManHomecoming felt just like reading a Marvel comic book -- other heroes appear, heart-stopping twists, and bursting with humor.

#SpiderManHomecoming had so many AMAZING Easter eggs, I was legit shaking with nerd excitement as I was leaving the theater.

I still love Spider-Man 2 more, but #SpiderManHomecoming is right up there with it as one of the best Spidey, and superhero films out there.

Mike Avila | Syfy
#SpiderManHomecoming mixes the growing pains vibe of Bendis' Ultimate Spidey & the awkward charm of the classic Ditko-Lee Spidey run.

And despite the trailers & stuff, This is a Spider-Man movie. Iron Man is strictly in support mode here.

Scott Mantz | Access Hollywood
HOMECOMING does whatever a #SpiderMan movie can, and THEN some! Charming, heartfelt, action-packed, full of surprises, FUNNY! 100% FUN!

HOMECOMING is the BEST #SpiderMan movie since Spider-Man 2! @MarvelStudios & @SonyPictures got it RIGHT! A Spidey movie for EVERYONE!

Jim Vejvoda | IGN Movies
I'd kind of forgotten how much I loved Spider-Man growing up & related to Peter Parker until I saw Homecoming. Movie captures why he endures

Peter Sciretta | Slash Film
Spider-Man Homecoming is a hilarious John Hughes-style high school movie disguised as a superhero film. Second best spidey film.

Spider-Man 2. This is a very very worthy number two.

David Onda | XFINITY
#SpiderManHomecoming is the best Spidey film yet. Period. Tom Holland is the best Peter Parker. Period. This film has so. many. surprises.

#SpiderManHomecoming has a mid-credits scene and one of the most surprising post-credits scenes in the MCU. Avoid spoilers.

Rachel Simon | Bustle
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is tons of fun, whip-smart, and entertaining all the way through.

Tom Holland is excellent, Marisa Tomei gets great material, and everyone looks like they're having a ball. Good movie! See it!

Jen Yamato | Los Angeles Times
My #SpiderManHomecoming take: Tom H >Tobey, high school stuff works, Avengersverse doesn't, and it's a benchmark for blockbuster diversity

It's a real delight and a lot of fun, his world feels rich & detailed, Keaton is ��& Holland is a charming Spider-ManBoy #SpiderManHomecoming

Abraham Riesman | NY Mag/Vulture
Since everyone in LA broke the reactions-to-Spider-Man embargo, I'll chime in and say I loved it. Best Spidey movie

I'll reserve further thoughts for longer pieces but suffice it to say SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is the best MCU picture since CA:TWS imo

Rick Marshall | Digital Trends
Spider-Man: Homecoming supplanted Spider-Man 2 as my favorite Spidey movie. It's *that* good. Full review coming later this week.

Peter Travers | Rolling Stone
News flash: Tom Holland is the best movie Spider-Man ever. He finds the kid in the suit and restores the fun-fun-fun. He's amazing for real.
I'll add more as they come in.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Please be good. Even 20 something years later Spidey is my favorite superhero and I wasn't blown away by the last few big screen offerings.

SpaceWolf

Banned
And because people will ask, Spider-Man: Homecoming is EASILY the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2. Close to Raimi's original.

#SpiderManHomecoming is the third best Spider-Man movie.

"Not as bad as The Amazing Spiderman movies or Spiderman 3!"

Yay?

Altairre

You know, after all the Spider-Man movies we got I'm kind of glad that this movie glosses over his origins to be honest. Don't really need to see all that again.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It worries me that both of the immediate reviews feel Homecoming falls short of Raimi's original Spiderman.

I mean, I love that movie, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's got a lot of flaws, especially in the action department.

4517426-1145713507-rUPIK.gif

At times it's basically a big budget Power Rangers episode.

Uh... 3rd best MCU, 6th best super hero, 3rd best spider man movie, best spiderman movie since 2.

Not exactly building excitement in me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
- My 6th best comic book movie since 2006/t3rd best MCU film

This got a laugh outta me. They should put that in the commercial.

"The 6th best superhero hero movie ever...since 2006... or assuming that that we aren't counting non-traditional superhero films that are based off comic properties like Blade or Road to Perdition..."

It worries me that both of the immediate reviews feel Homecoming falls short of Raimi's original Spiderman.

I mean, I love that movie, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's got a lot of flaws, especially in the action department.

Agree to disagree. The action is actually one of my favorite things about it, especially at the end. It gets so brutal.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"The film glosses over his origin, which robs Spider-Man of his inherent tragedy."

How many times do you need to see his origin?

Cipherr

The guy says right there he considers its close to the first SM movie and right behind SM2. I guess folks that are asking "So better than amazing!?" are missing that.

I don't know what done people are talking about, Spiderman 2 is still the greatest comic book movie I have ever seen. Hell, the fight at the end of the first movie is better than most of the final fights we get these days.

Bronx-Man

Banned
From those impressions, think of this as the A Moon-Shaped Pool of the Spider-Man movies. It's not as good as OK Computer or Kid A but it's still pretty dope.

Top Bottom