• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Eep - when did this happen? (There are no dates on the usage rules page; seems hard to figure out when pieces are changed...)

According to that page, NOBODY is allowed to promote a commercial venture without a commercial license - and "so far, we haven't given anyone permission to do this" - doesn't this hose Machinima, too?

That wouldn't make sense completely though given that Machinima and 343 have an agreement. That's why a lot of the footage from the shows was held from streams so Machinima could air it first.

Or do I have that wrong. Shit's all weird.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank, David, put the Carbine back to its E3 glory pls. :p

I hate when the UNSC weapons become the "obvious choice" in Halo Games. The Needle Rifle in Reach was better and had its moments, but most of the time when given a choice between a UNSC weapon or its Covenant counterpart people go for the UNSC version (aside from the beam rifle, love that thing).

Be interesting with Forerunner weapons in the mix now.

Does that mean Red Vs Blue is dead now?*

* Hypothetically speaking of course. They are definitely having a special agreement with Microsoft.

lilty

I really don't understand this move. Microsoft has already made their fair share of money from people who stream since they've purchased an Xbox, a LIVE subscription and at least 1 copy of the game. It's not like Microsoft is losing money from these people because they've already made their purchases. All the streamers are really doing is advertising the game for Microsoft. People see the game on YouTube or Twitch or whatever and if they become interested in it they go out and buy a copy themselves, therefore more money for Microsoft.

Communities like ours keep the lifespan of games going for many years, especially in the case of Halo where players keep playing until the next game comes out. We drive the sales of subscriptions and DLC packs and Microsoft needs to recognize this. Streamers and YouTubers do not take money away from Microsoft, if anything they help.

willow ve

All of these language in the Usage Rules seem 100% aimed at Halo 4/5/6 ... So is there going to be some big Youtube tie in with Halo 4? Or will there be an easy way to share everything via Waypoint (laugh) and that's why they're locking all this shit down?

Communities like ours keep the lifespan of games going for many years, especially in the case of Halo where players keep playing until the next game comes out. We drive the sales of subscriptions and DLC packs and Microsoft needs to recognize this. Streamers and YouTubers do not take money away from Microsoft, if anything they help.

Yep. Makes no sense. It's not an economic reason. It's not a marketing reason. Is there some potential liability issue that we're missing? Did Microsoft get mad that Arena Gaming League streamed a lot of Halo last weekend with profanity every few seconds
if that's the case then they should disable voice chat

FyreWulff

I really don't understand this move. Microsoft has already made their fair share of money from people who stream since they've purchased an Xbox, a LIVE subscription and at least 1 copy of the game. It's not like Microsoft is losing money from these people because they've already made their purchases. All the streamers are really doing is advertising the game for Microsoft. People see the game on YouTube or Twitch or whatever and if they become interested in it they go out and buy a copy themselves, therefore more money for Microsoft.

Well, they threw away all the free advertisement from killing all the Stats API apps, which didn't even require new work from them...

Microsoft is a confusing company.

Wait a second? How does it look if I am going to make a charity event(i.e. the FLAG Tournament, a Child's play live stream)? The charity organization is going to earn money through the game. Is that forbidden too?

willow ve

Wait a second? How does it look if I am going to make a charity event(i.e. the FLAG Tournament, a Child's play live stream)? The charity organization is going to earn money through the game. Is that forbidden too?

No, that sounds like it would be ok. You can use game footage and other video/assests/etc. on a page that asks for donations, but not on a page that gets money from advertisements. Most really stupid decisions are usually confusing.

Mindwipe

As long as nobody does anything at any point that MS might consider "offensive". Which is entirely subjective and might be literally anything.

Would be great if someone at 343/Waypoint clarified the situation (removing some of the legalease at least), considering Halo is the property that will be most affected by this.

Assuming that's the case. If it isn't, then yay. Just to help the community out and spell it out would, at least from where I'm standing, be the right thing to do.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Would be great if someone at 343/Waypoint clarified the situation (removing some of the legalease at least), considering Halo is the property that will be most affected by this.

Assuming that's the case. If it isn't, then yay. Just to help the community out and spell it out would, at least from where I'm standing, be the right thing to do.

These guidelines have been out there for months. How many of you are posting from jail? We'll get some clarifying messaging out there, but the legalese won't change, because it's legalese. We'll craft a path through the semantic minefield, however.

willow ve

I see absolutely zero locations on this map which will be accessible only to jetpackers...

I predict this map will be heavily abused along the lines of the Zealot top level.

These guidelines have been out there for months. How many of you are posting from jail? We'll get some clarifying messaging out there, but the legalese won't change, because it's legalese. We'll craft a path through the semantic minefield, however.

Thanks for the heads up. Would be nice to know that the leagalese won't actually be waved around or create a situation where all videos on Youtube get pulled/blocked/etc.

They have played on Longbow. Longbow is big, and the Carbine is kinda useless on long-distance. I am going to try it out this weekend. But I do think it is useable weapon. At least it was in campaign.
I'll be interested in hearing what you think. The drawback of the carbine by design is that it takes a lot of shots to kill, even if it does compete with kill time. Nerfing it's range is just unacceptable, especially since hands-on accounts describe the other rifles, even the BR, being more effective at range. The single shot carbine is harder to use at range than the burst fire BR and it takes more shots to kill? I just don't get it.

Yep. Makes no sense. It's not an economic reason. It's not a marketing reason. Is there some potential liability issue that we're missing? Did Microsoft get mad that Arena Gaming League streamed a lot of Halo last weekend with profanity every few seconds
if that's the case then they should disable voice chat

There is economic reasoning behind it. Its the whole "lets play" videos that are the main problem because they allow potentially millions of viewers to experience the campaign of a game without having to buy the game. Therefore Microsoft doesn't profit directly from adverts during the video and people are less inclined to purchase the game because they already know how the game turns out. The could not tell you the total amount of times I have watched a lets play video to experience the story of the game instead of buying it.

I think this is one of the reasons behind Microsoft's change in policy here. I also expect to see this happening a lot more in the future.

Louis Wu

I don't check that page on a regular basis - I looked today, because CyReN mentioned it. As I said, there is no changelog attached to those rules, so there's no easy way to tell how old the rules can be... but the legalese certainly SEEMS pretty clear about what's allowed and what's not. And having you say "it's just legalese" doesn't change the fact that the rules say "X is not allowed, period." (The legalese on my credit card statement is dense - but it doesn't tell me something is not permitted if it actually is.)

Am I crazy or is it brighter?
I think it's brighter too. While I do like the walkthroughs, I kind of wish they'd talk about the map over direct-feed footage of a match. Though I do understand why they do it this way: It's easy to talk about the map and show off what you want to talk about.
Exclusive Halo 4 Forge Info Gamespot

Haven't watched it yet, just saw it on the front page.

EDIT: Shows new environments! Space :O

Hey hey! The space environment looks fantastic. Nice work!

Oh man I wonder what the catalyst for this new policy was? Hasn't ad based streaming been pretty prevalent going back to Halo 2/3? I know this isn't Halo specific; I am just thinking that this kind of content seemed to coincide with things like RvB, MLG, etc.

Ramirez

Someone take a pic of forge space, Im mobile. :p

I agree Dax, I thought IGN had said we would get gameplay on these maps as well?

The added shadows and the more simplified visual design of the Forge pieces will go a far way to making Forge maps actually nice to look at and play in. I can't stand looking at the busy textures of the Forerunner blocks in Reach, and tied with how flat everything across because shadows are nonexistent it just became difficult to even visual coherence in any Forge map.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't check that page on a regular basis - I looked today, because CyReN mentioned it. As I said, there is no changelog attached to those rules, so there's no easy way to tell how old the rules can be... but the legalese certainly SEEMS pretty clear about what's allowed and what's not. And having you say "it's just legalese" doesn't change the fact that the rules say "X is not allowed, period." (The legalese on my credit card statement is dense - but it doesn't tell me something is not permitted if it actually is.)

Which is why we'll give you some clarity in plain english. Basically simple workarounds.

Havok

Looks like a whole bunch of the objects from Reach are returning. The Ascension snipe tower has stairs now, at least in the UNSC palette, which is a little weird.

The ground areas in the space zone seem to be pretty much flat, which is great.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

cocamola

Banned
I'm so annoyed with the community developer changers. As i was just starting out with my Youtube channel. Really sucks they would do that.

So the entire partner scheme is capitalized where only RT and machinima get a license.

Top Bottom