• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe I'm saying this..I miss Bush. He just owned Trump.

norm9

No. Just because he can throw a baseball doesn't mean he didn't directly cause the death and displacement of millions of people.

Kimawolf

Good job correctly spelling the name of the dead woman you're using as a political argument

More importantly as someone who looks Muslim and who has a half-Muslim family I do not give a fuck if Bush said islamophobia was bad while bombing the shit out of Muslim countries and ignoring the civil rights of American Muslims and filing Guantanamo with Muslims
Yeah and as a black man Bush is already light years better than Trump. Jeffrey super racist Sessions is Attorney General! Trump IS actively re empowering super racist groups in America. Trump IS actively dismantling voting rights brick by brick. So excuse me if I don't regard a dolt as being worse than a guy who is a threat to my very life and my kids.

Oh and for shits and giggles trump also thinks its funny his VP wants to hang gays. As he put it.
Trump wants to remove immigrants who arent white by America and turned ICE into his own illegal police force.

TraBuch

Banned
As someone who didn't really follow politics in middle and high school, I don't know much about Bush's presidency besides the negatives, which is all anyone ever talks about.

Were there any positives? I know he did a lot for Africa.

As someone who didn't really follow politics in middle and high school, I don't know much about Bush's presidency besides the negatives, which is all anyone ever talks about.

There was the one time he sent everyone in the country a check to help the economy bounce back, it didn't work but it helped me buy a video game, lol.

Briarios

This trend of liberals starting to "come around" on George W Bush is pretty disturbing.

I don't think anyone is coming around on Bush. Horrible president, but there is nothing wrong with him saying what needs to be said now.

The level of absolutism in this thread is terrifying. Terrible people can do good things, and good people can do terrible things. If Bush can stop more conservatives from going down the rabbit hole into nationalism and fascism, I'm all for it.

What I miss about Bush is that it was possible to go several, days, weeks, etc. without thinking about him. Yes, as bad as the administration was, they weren’t omnipresent in the news every fucking day.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah and as a black man Bush is already light years better than Trump. Jeffrey super racist Sessions is Attorney General! Trump IS actively re empowering super racist groups in America. Trump IS actively dismantling voting rights brick by brick. So excuse me if I don't regard a dolt as being worse than a guy who is an threat to my very life and my kids.

Oh and for shits and giggles trump also thinks its funny his VP wants to hang gays. As he put it.

while I'm white.. yeah, Trump ALSO hits harder than Bush just due to promoting and encouraging open islamaphobia AND racism among his supporters, while at the same time implementing policy to roll back many of the discriminatory protections we actually managed to put in place the past 8 years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't look on Bush "fondly", but at least with him you knew what you were gonna get. Unlike Trump who changes his fucking mind twice a day on policies and is ready to start a nuclear war over schoolyard insults.

Ouroboros

Bad leader, but was able to make human decisions. Man had compassion. I'm sure he is still haunted by some of his decisions. trump will never care what he does to people.

Bush Jr was THE reason I got invested in politics; I hated that dudes guts. But yeah, it's amazing how even I could look at him with longing these days.

Trump shows to Americans a fraction of the malice Bush showed to foreigners, and now everyone's missing Bush. America truly is a force for evil.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Yeah and as a black man Bush is already light years better than Trump. Jeffrey super racist Sessions is Attorney General! Trump IS actively re empowering super racist groups in America. Trump IS actively dismantling voting rights brick by brick. So excuse me if I don't regard a dolt as being worse than a guy who is a threat to my very life and my kids.

Trump wants to remove immigrants who arent white by America and turned ICE into his own illegal police force.

I guarantee you Bush has killed more black Americans than Trump has to date

Kimawolf

This trend of liberals starting to "come around" on George W Bush is pretty disturbing.
Oh im not coming around to Bush. He crashed the economy and went to war on a lie but again there is a clear distinction between him and Trump
And people downplaying it or ignoring it are troublesome.

Blader

What I miss about Bush is that it was possible to go several, days, weeks, etc. without thinking about him. Yes, as bad as the administration was, they weren’t omnipresent in the news every fucking day.
That's exactly how I feel too. I think he will still go down as one of the worst presidents, but at the very least his very existence wasn't casting a shadow over everything I think about every goddamn day.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Never saw the big difference in most Presidents except for the current one. Clinton sent me to Operation Desert Fox over what was thought to be a lie as well. Bush continued that same narrative on a much larger scale. People will skew the view to their own beliefs is what I have come to learn. Liberal and conservative alike.

There where no positives other than yeah he helped Africa get a grip on AIDS.

BTW Trump s pulled back on the African AIDS aid so that over now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Trump shows to Americans a fraction of the malice Bush showed to foreigners, and now everyone's missing Bush. America truly is a force for evil.

hmm.. showing malice toward foreigners or showing malice toward foreigners AND your own citizens? which would you choose?

jelly

Bush caused ripples that we still feel today in a disastrous way. I do believe he probably has a soul and was likely surrounded by evil men that did him no favours but he is still the leader and could have said no to a lot of things that caused significant harm. Does he deserve some redemption, probably not, is he capable of seeking it and seeing his errors, probably. Trump is different and has no soul, he just hasn't lead the US into an immediate disaster yet but he will cause a great mess like Bush the longer he is office and who knows what awaits, the US no longer being the leader super power arguably could be world changing, more so than causing havoc in the middle east.

Bush took decisions that killed millions of people.

Liberals should really think twice before romanticizing him again.

It's not like liberals sucking off neocon war criminals is anything new

neo
liberals all of them at the end. We now know far rightism can not exists without the complicity of centrism.

Oberon

Banned
in a comparison of "who is worse", yes causing the harm or deaths of YOUR VERY OWN CITIZENS to the tunes of hundreds of thousands, is worse than starting a foreign war. I'd think that wouldn't need explaining.

edit - oh yeah and literally threatening nuclear war.

Note, I am not american so I can't really relate ot the situation. That said, I'd say a nation starting a war and killing people from other nation generally is worse than being responsible for the death of their own citizens. When it's your own democratic elected (however flawed that process may be ) gouverment, then the population had somewhat of saying on who's going to rule them. A foreign nation has no saying ( unless they elect someone that is wanting to start a war) when another nations starts a war on its ground. That's just how I see it. Also, I can't really compare "potential" deaths to actual deaths.

Bush took decisions that killed millions of people.

Liberals should really think twice before romanticizing him again.

The image of something is usually more important to people than the actual thing

Bush was a terrible president. No debate there.

But the Overton window has shifted majorly to the extreme fringe right. Trump, Bannon, Miller, Roy Moore, the Tea Party, etc.

My baby boomer parents and their entire loyal Republican voting social circle aren't going to listen to Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren on the cancerous tumor that is Trumpism. They *might* listen to a past GOP president that they liked and voted for.

Got to hold your nose and embrace common allies on this. Most important thing in the country right now is to isolate Trump's base, and pull Republicans willing to listen to reason further to the center.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Bush's administration was horrible, but it seems like he has some empathy as a human being at some point.

TripleBee

He always came off as a good guy.

Problem is he was easily manipulated - and not strong/intelligent enough to fight back against it. Which makes him a bad president.

Or at least that's how I see it.

bionic77

Whilst I firmly believe Trump is capable of the same and worse, he has yet to knowingly lead the US into a war on false pretences, kill hundreds of thousands, and start up a torture program.
Bush destroyed another country, which the US has been doing for decades under many Presidents.

Trump is unique in that he is the first to actively try to destroy the United States.

Wag

GW-Bushes-640x411.jpg

Can Trump do this?

ViviOggi

The usual host of GOP terrorist policies aside Bush created ISIS. "I want that goofball back"? Jesus Christ America love yourself a bit

People really seem to forget what it was like with the daily corruption and anti-science stories that came during the Bush presidency, not to mention the revisionist BS of "Bush was a good guy protecting us from Cheney".

He mocked a woman on death row pleading her life to him. He's just as incapable of cruelty and lacking empathy.

Yeah, it might have been in poor taste, and fucked up. But that woman sat on a person while another took a hammer to their face, then pick-axed said person so they would stop making noise. I'm not a proponent of capital punishment, but lets not pretend this was an innocent victim of circumstance or some random black dude that got fingered for a crime because of racism.

fade_

Yet Trump is campaigning for Trumpite Gillespie for Governor here in VA who is race baiting in ads just like Trump.

Scuffed

Let's be honest Bush shows contempt for Trump because of Trump shitting on him during the primaries, ending his brother Jeb's political career and to a lesser extent ending Billy Bush career too lol. There is a lot of personal baggage between the Bushes and Trump and that is why you see hostility from Bush towards Trump imo.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It's amazing how progressively worse Republican presidents are getting. Nixon created the EPA and Reagan would be considered a centrist Democrat today.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
If ignorant bigots listen to him, good but yeah Trump still doesn't compare to W in terms of sheer damage done to the world. Still have seven and half years to go though so he's in line to "surpass" the guy...

Ignorant bigots will not be swayed by bush. They disowned the whole Republican Party other than trump and trump supporters. Every time I hear a republican speak up against something trump did it’s met with “well why would I listen to him he did x y and z!” It’s like there’s an instant reaction to just hate whoever insults the guy regardless of their previous feelings towards that leader. If Reagan was still around I Wonder whose side the majority of Republicans would take?

Top Bottom